Thread: 1993 Buffalo Bills

cheer 1993 Buffalo Bills

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

It's amazing how this season we beat the Giants, the Skins & the Boyz!

I always felt we should have won in 1990, 1991 was up in the air and so was 1992, but in 1993 i really thought we had it.

1993 Buffalo Bills - The Last Round Up

by Bill Choinski
    Following the Super Bowl debacle in Pasadena, the Buffalo Bills made some major changes on and off the field. Four days after the game, GM Bill Polian shocked both the team and fans alike when he announced his own dismissal during a press conference February 4th. The architect of the team, he turned the reigns over to chief scout John Butler. It was revealed that Polian had philosophical and business differences with Owner Ralph Wilson's business manager/treasurer Jeff Littmann. Polian went to work for the NFL offices in New York to help administer the leagues' Management Council. His new role was to advise teams on the new NFL free agency plan.

With the new free agency system, the Bills assigned NT Jeff Wright and T Will Wolford the team's transition tag- guaranteeing both players the average of the top ten salaries- or the right to match any offer received by any other club. They chose not to name anyone the team's "Franchise Player"- who would have been untouchable by any completing clubs.

Indianapolis stepped in and made Wolford a blockbuster offer- $7.65 million over 3 seasons- with an escalator clause that would make him the highest paid offensive player on the team (excluding QBs). The Bills protested with the league claiming it was an unfair proposal- since Buffalo was loaded with high priced expensive stars on offense- (the Bills were the 6th highest paid team in the league) while the Colts were not. The Bills lost their appeal, and lost Wolford as well. The NFL soon closed the loophole, but it was too late for the Bills.

Other players lost in free agency included Pro-Bowl LB Shane Conlon who signed with the LA Rams. LB Carlton Bailey jumped to the New York Giants. DB Clifford Hicks signed with division rival New York Jets. James Lofton, the NFL's leading receiver in yardage and Buffalo's co-leader in TD receptions from the previous season, was not brought back for the 1993 season. Buffalo did acquire WR Bill Brooks via free agency after 7 seasons with the Colts.

http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archi...t_round_up.php

Divisional Playoff
    Bills 29, Raiders 23

The Bills trailed, 17-6, late in the first half and, 23-22, late in the third quarter before QB Jim Kelly capped perhaps the most brilliant performance of his career with a 22-yard TD pass to WR Bill Brooks, his second of the game for the winning points 2:55 into the fourth quarter. The Bills overcame the losses of their leading receiver and best run-blocker, TE Pete Metzelaars, who left the game late in the third quarter with a dislocated finger, and RB Thurman Thomas, who left early in the fourth with a mild concussion.

After a scoreless first quarter, the Raiders struck first with a K Jeff Jaeger 30-yard FG. Each team traded a pair of rushing TDs as Bills RB Kenneth Davis plunged in from 1 yard out and Thomas scored on an 8-yard run. Raiders RB Napoleon McCallum added two 1-yard TD runs in between Buffalo's two scores to give them a 17-13 lead at the intermission. Buffalo's defense was as effective as its offense in the final two quarters, as the Bills took control of the game in the second half by outscoring the Raiders, 16-6, and picking up 18 first downs to L.A.'s one, which came on a touchdown.

AFC Championship Game
    Buffalo 30, Chiefs 13

The Buffalo Bills made NFL history on Jan. 23, 1994, when they routed the Chiefs, 30-13, to become the first team to win four straight AFC Championships. Buffalo remains the only team in NFL history to appear in four straight Super Bowls.

Joe Montana was gunning for his first Super Bowl appearance as a member of the Chiefs, but Buffalo was fueled by a strong 33-carry, 186-yard performance by Thurman Thomas. The Bills came out running to rack up 229 yards rushing and 160 yards passing on the afternoon. Buffalo's defense limited Kansas City to just 52 yards rushing and also battered both Montana and backup Dave Krieg, who had 286 yards passing combined.

Both teams started out slowly and punted twice, before the Bills put together a six-play, 47-yard drive culminating in Thomas' 12-yard touchdown run. With 6:49 remaining in the first quarter, the Bills had a 7-0 lead. Kansas City came back late in the first quarter and went 51 yards in 10 plays, ending in a Nick Lowery 31-yard field goal with 2:14 remaining. Bennie Thompson forced Russell Copeland to fumble the ensuing kickoff, and 1:35 later, Lowery kicked an identical 31-yarder to bring the Chiefs to 7-6 as the quarter ended.

That was as close as the Chiefs would get, however. Thomas again was the key player as Buffalo went down the field 80 yards on 14 plays, with Thomas scoring his second touchdown of the first half with 2:58 gone in the second quarter. Buffalo held a 14-6 lead. The Chiefs were forced to punt, and the ensuing 41-yard drive led to Steve Christie's 23-yarder with 7:02 remaining before the half and a 17-6 Bills' lead. The defense again held the Chiefs, and again the Bills took the punt and marched downfield for a field goal. Buffalo went 56 yards on 10 plays, and Christie kicked a 25 yarder with 2:01 remaining for a 20-6 lead. Montana drove Kansas City to the Buffalo 5. But on their second attempt to score a touchdown from inside the 10, Montana was intercepted by Henry Jones, and Buffalo took the 20-6 lead into halftime. Buffalo finished the half with a 263-141 yard advantage over the Chiefs, while Thomas already had racked up 108 yards and two touchdowns at the break.

Things just got worse for the Chiefs in the third quarter, as Montana was sandwiched by Bruce Smith and Jeff Wright on the third play of the quarter and left the game with a concussion. Dave Krieg took over for the Chiefs, and he managed to trim the Buffalo lead late in the third quarter by engineering a 14-play, 90-yard drive that ended with Marcus Allen's one-yard run and a 20-13 Bills lead with 3:06 left in the quarter. Buffalo turned a 14-play, 79-yard drive into Christie's third field goal of the afternoon, this one a 18-yarder with 11:55 left in regulation, and a 23-13 Buffalo lead. Buffalo held the Chiefs to three-and-out on their next drive, and Thomas added his third touchdown of the day with a three-yard run with 5:30 remaining. The score was the last of the game to give Buffalo their fourth straight AFC Championship with a 30-13 win over the Chiefs.

Super Bowl XXVIII
    Dallas 30, Buffalo 10
    Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and two second-half touchdowns to power the Cowboys to their second consecutive NFL title.
    By winning, Dallas joined San Francisco and Pittsburgh as the only franchises with four Super Bowl victories. The Bills, meanwhile, extended a dubious string by losing in the Super Bowl for the fourth consecutive year.

To win, the Cowboys had to rally from a 13-6 halftime deficit. Buffalo had forged its lead on Thurman Thomas's 4-yard touchdown run and a pair of field goals by Steve Christie, including a 54-yard kick, the longest in Super Bowl history.

But just 55 seconds into the second half, Thomas was stripped of the ball by Dallas defensive tackle Leon Lett. Safety James Washington recovered and weaved his way 46 yards for a touchdown to tie the game at 13-13. After forcing the Bills to punt, the Cowboys began their next possession on their 36-yard line and Smith, the game's most valuable player, took over.

He carried seven times for 61 yards on the ensuing 8-play, 64-yard drive, capping the march with a 15-yard touchdown run to give Dallas the lead for good with 8:42 remaining in the third quarter.

Early in the fourth quarter, Washington intercepted Jim Kelly's pass and returned it 12 yards to Buffalo's 34. A penalty moved the ball back to the 39, but Smith carried twice for 10 yards and caught a screen pass for nine, and quarterback Troy Aikman completed a 16-yard pass to Alvin Harper to give the Cowboys a first-and-goal at the 6.

Smith took it from there, cracking the end zone on fourth-and-goal from the 1 to put Dallas ahead 27-13 with 9:50 remaining. Eddie Murray's third field goal, from 20 yards with 2:50 left, ended any doubt about the game's outcome.

Smith had 30 carries in all, with 19 of his attempts and 92 yards coming after intermission. Washington, normally a reserve who played most of the game because the Cowboys used five defensive backs to combat the Bills' No-Huddle offense, had 11 tackles and forced another fumble by Thomas in the first quarter.

Aikman completed 19 of 27 passes for 207 yards. Buffalo's Kelly completed a Super Bowl-record 31 passes in 50 attempts for 260 yards.

Dallas, the first team in NFL history to begin the regular season 0-2 and go on to win the Super Bowl, also became the fifth to win back-to-back titles, following Green Bay, Miami, Pittsburgh (the Steelers did it twice), and San Francisco.

Buffalo became the third team, along with Minnesota and Denver, to lose four Super Bowls.
    2013 the beginning of a new ERA - Go Bills!!!
    http://www.wantickets.com/Events/Sho...v1yUI.facebook - let me know if u want to support angelwish.org

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl...billspics.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PlWZDZboQw-The Dream
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWp-flMnLMQ-This Buds4u!

Visit : www.iexplore.acndirect.com for essential daily services as seen on the "Apprentice Tv Show w Donald Trump"

We might have won that game if Thurman Thomas didn't quit on the team after he lost his 2nd fumble. That right there might of kept Thurman from being a first ballot Hall of Famer in 2006.

That year instead Warren Moon was voted in as a first ballot Hall of Famer and I never understood why. Yes he had the numbers, but he never came close to winning a championship. Moon never even played in a Conference Championship game. Total BS
    To view my show click here

That one SB i felt was ours as well as the Giants... We made some coaching poor choices on defense.
    http://www.wantickets.com/Events/Sho...v1yUI.facebook - let me know if u want to support angelwish.org

Visit : www.iexplore.acndirect.com for essential daily services as seen on the "Apprentice Tv Show w Donald Trump"

we struggled a lot that season. if it werent for our defense and a lousy afc at that time theres no way we were representing the afc. that was a team that was showing signs of getting old. heck it was the following year we missed the playoffs and jim kelly had his season ended early witha knee injury in a game on thanksgiving

Quote Originally Posted by angelo73 View Post
    That one SB i felt was ours as well as the Giants... We made some coaching poor choices on defense.
    Yes we should of beaten the Giants in the first Super Bowl but I think we went into that game overconfident. We had just scored 95 points in 2 playoff wins over the Dolphins and Raiders, the Giants staring QB (Phil Simms) and staring RB (Rodney Hampton) were both out and we had just beaten them 17-13 in week 15. I never blamed Scott Norwood for that loss, we should have never been in that position. We should of put the game away in the 2nd quarter. That loss still stings 20 years later.

We had no chance against Washington or Dallas in the third one but we did have the momentum after out playing Dallas in the first half in the 4th one. But once Thurman fumbled and Dallas ran it back to tie the game the Bills were flat and Dallas cruised to victory. Since that game the Bills have just one playoff victory (1995 against Miami).

The funny thing in all our seasons into the playoffs and the sb we had teams blow us out big time yet we still came back and recovered. If that happens in todays world the fans would flip.... i remember being disappointed but not calling for anyones head still optomistic we would rebound.

i remember watching that SB at my aunts. i was only 9, and when your that young, and you keep going to the big game year after year, it just seems like you WILL be there every year, cuz your too young to really understand. but i just couldnt get why we always had to watch the other team win the championship. and after that 4th loss, i remember going back home, and i just laid back on my bed with a tear in my eye and my mom asking was i upset cuz we lost the superbowl. i just wanted to celebrate too like the other teams did on tv. haha. it's funny too look back on that. but that might be where i get my hard head from at times, and my determination to get things done and so on. those experiences, (as well as stanley cup, music city and such...) have just given me this tremendous hate towards losing and failure.
    so i guess it's true, what you go thru as a kid, will help mold you in the future.
    and hopefully my near future includes finally celebrating like the other teams do!!
    maybe if we finally get a superstar QB, we'll only pass with him 12 times a game. not using our talent seems to be working so well with Spiller...

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVader1979 View Post
    we struggled a lot that season. if it werent for our defense and a lousy afc at that time theres no way we were representing the afc. that was a team that was showing signs of getting old. heck it was the following year we missed the playoffs and jim kelly had his season ended early witha knee injury in a game on thanksgiving
    That was probably our weakest Super Bowl team. I remember that we trailed Miami by one game at Thanksgiving but Miami lost its last 5 games (including a 47-34 loss to the Bills) and missed the playoffs. Dan Marino was also injued that year with a torn Achilles. I thought our biggest road block to the Super Bowl were the Houston Oilers (now Tennessee Titans) who were on an 11 game winning streak but Kansas City beat them in the Divisional Round and we easily beat the Chiefs (30-13) in the AFC Championship game.

But each Super Bowl team had weaknesses. In 1991, our 2nd Super Bowl season, Bruce Smith was injured and missed 11 games. In the Super Bowl against Washington he was so hampered by the injury that Washington ran towards him the whole game. I remember the Washington announcer saying "There going around Bruce like hes directing traffic!"

We were also banged up going into the 3rd Super Bowl against Dallas. Jim Kelly had missed the first two playoff games with a knee injury and he re-injured it in the 2nd quarter. Also Thurman Thomas was hampered with a hip pointer and was held to just 19 yards rushing (Even Troy Aikman had more yards with 28).

lets forget about it, and just move on already!

Quote Originally Posted by billsrule View Post
    lets forget about it, and just move on already!
    Hey when you have been so bad for so long its good to look back and be able to say that at one point we were one of the best teams in the league. Four straight Super Bowl appearances, that record will never be approached!

We were going to win the game until Thurman laid the ball on the ground, instead of being up by 14 were we tied and all momentum was given to Dallas. That one play did it.

Small note we actually lost 30-13 after leading 13-6 at the half in the Superbowl.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonHart View Post
    Small note we actually lost 30-13 after leading 13-6 at the half in the Superbowl.
    Thats the biggest note, thats exactly what i remember most aside from beating all our superbowl opponents the afc east gmen, skins, & boyz throughout the season.

But the only knock i have on the bills and the "bend but dont break" defense, was adjustments!