Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Circling the Wagons....what the heck does that mean?

old lecture Circling the Wagons....what the heck does that mean?

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

So, I got to thinking, because I'm up way too early on the West Coast and I thought:

What in the world does 'Circle the Wagons' mean? I'm an educated guy and have never really taken the time to figure it out. It sure sounds good, but at a closer look? It's pretty accurate and I think most can relate.

Circle the Wagons: to stop communicating with people not in your group to avoid their ideas or beliefs

-or-

to take a defensive position

So, anytime you're talking to a Steeler fan about how awesome the Bills team is and you don't listen to their point of view (even when they stunk it up for the last 11 years)? You are in fact....Circling the Wagons.

When you get all pi$$ed when someone criticizes your team, even though you know objectively inside that the team isn't really all that good (I'm speaking of previous years, of course)? You are in fact....Circling the Wagons.

When you only hang out with Bills fans and don't even let a Browns fan sit at your table in the bar when you're watching the game? You are in fact......Circling the Wagons.

When you move to a new town and search out Bills fans and native Buffalonians to hang with, even though they could be potential socio-paths and alcoholics? You are in fact.....Circling the Wagons.

I am the worst Wagon Circler of all. I might just get a new tattoo
    Who's got two thumbs and thinks we finally have a good GM and HC?

This guy.

Its an old F-troop saying

It means we all come together and fight as a team, as in, the wagon train heading across the prairie, all of a sudden here comes a crapload of indians (oh, excuse me, native Americans), we'd better put the wagons in a circle to give ourselves a better chance to fight them off.

Nobody circles the wagons (comes together and fights as a team) like the Buffalo Bills.
    This space reserved for something witty . . .

Back when wagon trains traveled out west they would often be noticed by indians who were pissed off at whitey tramplin through their lands...

Often the indians would attack the wagon trains, in defense the settlers would "circle the wagons" and fend off the attack.

So in other words "circle the wagons" would mean to defy an overwhelming attack by using teamwork...

Now I am sure someone or many someones are going to scuff at my explanation and attack me personally...thus I am preparing to "circle my wagon"

Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    Back when wagon trains travel out west they would often be attacked by indians who were pissed off at whitey tramplin through their lands...

Often the indians would attack the wagon trains, in defense the settlers would "circle the wagons" and fend off the attack.

So in other words "circle the wagons" would mean to defy an overwhelming attack by using teamwork...

Now I am sure someone or many someones are going to scuff at my explanation and attack me personally...thus I am preparing to "circle my wagon"

You mean like that one family in blazing saddles that had to circle their own wagon?
    This space reserved for something witty . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bumbles247 View Post
    You mean like that one family in blazing saddles that had to circle their own wagon?
    who says tv is bad for edumacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Jacobs View Post
    Its an old F-troop saying
    What is an F Troop?

This guy.

It means we all come together and fight as a team, as in, the wagon train heading across the prairie, all of a sudden here comes a crapload of indians (oh, excuse me, native Americans), we'd better put the wagons in a circle to give ourselves a better chance to fight them off.

Nobody circles the wagons (comes together and fights as a team) like the Buffalo Bills.
    Bingo! This is it.

NOBODY circles the wagons like the BUFFALO BILLS!!!
    Our time is now!!!
    2014 Adopt-A-Bill: Eric Wood

Quote Originally Posted by skeletor View Post
    What is an F Troop?

Great flick!!! Classic!!!
    Our time is now!!!
    2014 Adopt-A-Bill: Eric Wood

Quote Originally Posted by skeletor View Post
    What is an F Troop?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVwFADi4Y38

Circling the Wagons is that special feeling you get when you're holding hands with your favorite girl.

Circling the Wagons is cheering for the hometeam

Circling the Wagons is catching the perfect wave!!!

Circling the Wagons is obeying ALL the RULES!!!

----------------------NO WAY!!!!!-------------------------

According to Urban Dictionary:

Circle the Wagons
    Look for protection, get defensive, get ready for an attack; from the old west where the pioneers would circle their wagons for protection from the Indians.

Week 4 of the 08 season the Buffalo Bills came back from a losing first half, rallied their defense, and kicked the St. Louis Rams butts. They had to circle the wagons in the second half to come back and win.
    buy circle the wagons mugs & shirtsdefense team rally ally work together
    by andrea04 Oct 2, 2008 share this add a video

2. circle the wagons
    Bringing your team back from sheer defeat to victory in heroic fashion.

When the Buffalo Bills (NFL franchise) "circle the wagons" to pull out a victory that was sure to be a defeat. (coined by Chris Bermen ESPN analyst) "Nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills."
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...20the%20wagons

Hahaha
    "oye, they darker than us"

an aerial shot of Ralph Wilson Stadium....

Stevie "Styles" Johnson

throwback

Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    Back when wagon trains traveled out west they would often be noticed by indians who were pissed off at whitey tramplin through their lands...

this is actually the most logical explanation and makes sense of what the team did back when the "nobody circles the wagons like the buffalo bills" was implemented by boomer(in the '90's)and what they have been doing the past two seasons. I'm not saying they didn't do it in between those years but as of late, unlike the recent past, they have been defying the overwhelming attack where as prior to and during the jauron era the injuns were winning the battle..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Jacobs View Post
    Thanks....that's pretty funny.

This guy.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBillsFanSince1973 View Post
    this is actually the most logical explanation and makes sense of what the team did back when the "nobody circles the wagons like the buffalo bills" was implemented by boomer(in the '90's)and what they have been doing the past two seasons. I'm not saying they didn't do it in between those years but as of late, unlike the recent past, they have been defying the overwhelming attack where as prior to and during the jauron era the injuns were winning the battle..
    after a few frustrating runs in the playoffs and some bickering amongst the team(I think someone called them the "Bickering Bills" at the time) the team pulled together and then had that great run to four Super Bowls - it was around then that Boomer coined the phrase -
    it is from the Wagon Train tactic of Circling the Wagons to provide a defense from an attack, giving the pioneers not only a 360 degree defense, but also giving them interior lines of communication and re-supply to support the defense from the attack
    Adopt-a-Bill 2014 Marquise Goodwin

Quote Originally Posted by FitzFan12 View Post
    Circling the Wagons is that special feeling you get when you're holding hands with your favorite girl.

Circling the Wagons is cheering for the hometeam

Circling the Wagons is catching the perfect wave!!!

Circling the Wagons is obeying ALL the RULES!!!

----------------------NO WAY!!!!!-------------------------

I'm not even sure how to respond to this at all.

This guy.

If anyone was a fan of the show Reno 911 you might have a much different definition of circling the wagons