View Poll Results: What is Buddy Nix's overall grade so far as GM?

Voters
218. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

119 54.59%
  • B

85 38.99%
  • C

11 5.05%
  • D

1 0.46%
  • F

2 0.92%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buddy's predraft Report Card

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

These are the drafts alone that preceded this regime:
    Whitner, McCargo, Youboty, Ko Simpson, Kyle Williams, Brad Butler, Ellison, T. Pennington, A. Merz...
    Lynch, Poz, Trent, D. Wright, Wendling, Schouman, CJ Ah You...
    McKelvin, Hardy, C. Ellis, Corner, D. Fine, Bowen, Omon, D. Bell, SJ13, K. Cox...
    Maybin, Wood, Byrd, Levitre, S. Nelson, N. Harris, C. Harris, Lankster...

As of today there are only 6 players from 4 drafts on the roster. It still stinks lookin at that...
    They get an A regardless because they have to basically build an entire roster, including the depth
    I wonder if there is a poster who doesn't like my posts or finds me annoying...?

I refuse to post a mock draft of a bunch of players who most likely won't end up on the team...

Every potential FA/cut doesn't = make a thread about how this team should sign him...

*I will add more to this section as I see fit*

I gave him a B.

Goofing up on a first the way he did with Spiller makes an A impossible. Fact is even today 3 years later Spiller will not be the #1 RB. For a first round RB it is unforgivable.

That said the rest of his drafts a pretty darn good.

So B.
    Quote Originally Posted by likei'vebeentherebefore View Post
    the choice is made the traveler has come

your new name is... Mom'z_Spaghetti
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom'z_Spaghetti View Post
    nnnooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GreggTX View Post
    Let's send Buddy Nix his grade, so far, for his tenure as the Bills GM. Just like in school.
    NEGATIVES
    - No real QB.
    - No real tackles.
    - Switched back to the 4-3, after spending two seasons getting guys tailored for the 3-4.
    - Mismanaged C.J Spiller. This team used a high pick on him, and can't find ways to get him the ball.
    - Hired George Edwards to manage the defense.
    - Didn't go after any big name free agents until this season. Picking up Cornell Green doesn't count.
    - Produced seasons worse than D.J's squad.

POSITIVES
    - Re-signed Stevie J and Scott Chandler.
    - Picked up Mario Williams.
    - Picked up Wanny from Pitt.
    - Beat the Patriots

OVERALL - C+. I think we're starting to see some terrific moves, but at the end of the day, this team still needs a new QB, new tackles, and produce much better in the regular season.
    Last edited by Jim_Starks; 03-19-2012 at 10:22 AM.
    Michael: Who are you people?
    Ben: We're the good guys Michael.

I gave him a B for the simple reason that most of the 2010 draft class is no longer on the team and Troup has been injured.

He's done some good things (Williams, O Line) but he's also responsible for a lot of failures (2010 draft class, Fitzpatrick contract, switching schemes after 2 years, Shawne Merriman).

I can't give him anything higher than a C until this team has a winning season.

Quote Originally Posted by wallsofjeriko13 View Post
    He's in the B range for his overall tenure, but he gets an A for this offseason thus far.
    I will 2nd this!!!!

While we are still in Mario Williams Euphoria mode, I can understand the high number of "A's" he received, I almost voted "A".

There are still some questionable instances in his tenure:

The Fitzpatrick contract

the 2010 draft

the 10-22 record

the 2-10 record in the division

the failed 34 experiment

these and a few others that have been or will be mentioned bring the OVERLL grade down.

The hope that he has restored for this team and fanbase has to leave his grade no worse than a "B" IMO.

I said B. I like Nix. I think he knows what he's doing, and I think he's got us heading in the right direction. However, he can't get an A for this offseason when all we've done is re-signed some of our players and landed Mario Williams. Not a whole lot of motion. What has me more worried is that he has a great core of players now, but still lacks talent at a few big positions (like QB), and while I understand that you can't do it all at once, we're somehow at the cap with a lot of mediocre talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Starks View Post
    NEGATIVES
    - No real QB.
    - No real tackles.
    - Switched back to the 4-3, after spending two seasons getting guys tailored for the 3-4.
    - Mismanaged C.J Spiller. This team used a high pick on him, and can't find ways to get him the ball.
    - Hired George Edwards to manage the defense.
    - Didn't go after any big name free agents until this season. Picking up Cornell Green doesn't count.
    - Produced seasons worse than D.J's squad.

POSITIVES
    - Re-signed Stevie J and Scott Chandler.
    - Picked up Mario Williams.
    - Picked up Wanny from Pitt.
    - Beat the Patriots

OVERALL - C+. I think we're starting to see some terrific moves, but at the end of the day, this team still needs a new QB, new tackles, and produce much better in the regular season.
    Those items that were bolded are due to Gailey, as he is the head coach who decides the roles of the players once they are given to him by Nix and on the field, as well as his coaching staff. I'm not saying Nix didn't have a hand in them but I don't think you can rightfully blame him for something that was ultimately Gailey's decision.
    Goonies Never Say Die
    2013 Adopt-a-Bill: Cordy "The Tank" Glenn

2013 BBMB NFL Season Pickem

A DT was a need, so reaching for Troup at this point is the judgement.

Gailey could surprise and have a dynamic that few teams can boast if he taps the potential Spiller and Jackson bring.

The 2010 draft is not yet 3 years past, Troup is apparently healthy and coming from a 4-3 in college, the possibility of Spiller proving to merit his status as a high pick leaves the door open there.

Wannstedt seems like a gift from above for a team struggling without a lot hope to bring in a credible name to replace Edwards. The writting was on the wall for Edwards and the 3-4 base D as soon as he was named Asst. Coach. Two of the boldest moves look to be the early changes of direction they are willing to make, QB, D.

Nix has proved he won't ride failure all the way to the dump before he hops off the truck.

Whaley, fa Williams, Wannstedt, shakeup at OBD and revamped scouting dept., building through the draft and signing decent fa's without overpaying are A's.

The grade still rides on what Troup and Spiller do this year, especially considering the talent that was available to them in both rounds. 10' draft could grade out a D. 2011 draft could be one of the best league wide. 1st 4 choices look like they all will be starters at their positions.

A for work completed, willingness to adapt. Drafts yet to be fully graded.
    Last edited by othello; 03-19-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    Fortune favors the Bold

Drafting Spiller was a bold move and he must have seen "Chris Johnson" potential in him. If he was Chris Johnson we'd all applaud the move and Fred Jackson could be used as trade bait. However, Spiller will never be "Chris Johnson" or a #1 RB so I'd give him a B.
    “The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.” -William Ward

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonavenger View Post
    Those items that were bolded are due to Gailey, as he is the head coach who decides the roles of the players once they are given to him by Nix and on the field, as well as his coaching staff. I'm not saying Nix didn't have a hand in them but I don't think you can rightfully blame him for something that was ultimately Gailey's decision.
    Nix hired Gailey. They agreed ahead of time about the direction they wanted to move the football team, and the decision to hire/fire people is not purely the head coach's call.
    Michael: Who are you people?
    Ben: We're the good guys Michael.

Overall I give him a "B" but this this offseason alone is above the rating at "A+"
    Go Bills!
    Each year you get better to me.
    Call me a