Thread: An UNcommon Question About BPA...

Default An UNcommon Question About BPA...

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Ok so if Buddy really ALWAYS takes the BPA, what would happen if everytime we went to pick, a WR was the next best player available on our big board? Would we draft 10 WR's?!?

Or more realistically, since this is a deep WR class, what if half the time that happened? Would we actually draft 5 WR's?!?

My point is that needs have to weigh in at some point right?

Interested in the responses this will get...

Imo if we drafted 5 wrs i would be ok with that. Outside of Stevie I am not a big fan of our wr corp.

hopefully, the WR position will be set then!
    Thank you Buddy, Thank you for bringing us Mr. Whaley.

Lets try something new. Instead of standing behind our beloved Bills, let's stand in front of them, just so they have to change direction!

Then we'd be Detroit. . . They did that a few years back and only kept one, Calvin Johnson

Need is a factor. So is positional value. So is schematic fit. So are injury and character concerns. Every GM factors these things in when making their picks.
    Before you die Lonestar, there is something you should know... I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roomate.

after the first round, no one drafts strict BPA. Its BPA by need. No one can be fully confident that player A is the 91 ranked BPA and player B is 92. You take the position you value most from among the similarly ranked players after round 1. If someone you ranked much higher has slipped you probably take that player regardless of position though.
    Its only OTA's
    Its only mini-camp
    Its only training camp
    Its only preseason
    Its only week 1, its a 16 week season.
    But if the Bills don't beat the Dolphins week 2, batten down the hatches, it will get ugly.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

I believe that there is rarely one player who has a grade that makes them the clear choice. Team group players or the grades are close (what is the difference between 7.7 and 7.8). Need then becomes a driver - if you have 3 players in the same area and one player fills a need, then you select that player. There is not a list of 1-250 and the GM just selects the player currently first on the list.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts." -- Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"Taking a man against his will, in to a direction he does not choose." -- Cyrus Kouandjio

Need is always considered, strictly drafting BPA is not done except as another said in the first round, and even then need is likely considered to some degree. The message board GM's make all sorts of noise about "always" going BPA, and always refuse to realize that it is always BPA at a position of need. There are other things such as scheme, character, work ethic, potential peak for a given prospect that come into play while drafting the BPA at a position of need. it is what it is. This is the case the majority of the time.
    "I am a river to my people"

VMA 331 2nd Marine Air Wing Cherry Point NC Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    I believe that there is rarely one player who has a grade that makes them the clear choice. Team group players or the grades are close (what is the difference between 7.7 and 7.8). Need then becomes a driver - if you have 3 players in the same area and one player fills a need, then you select that player. There is not a list of 1-250 and the GM just selects the player currently first on the list.
    Exactly this. Also, as you go down in the round(s), the groups tend to get larger. Last year, drafting at #3, the Bills really were only looking at Von Miller, Marcell Dareus, and AJ Greene. This year, drafting at #10, they have a much larger pool of prospects, about 10 or so, all at about the same level.
    Should have kept Marshawn ... and Andy ... Jairus ...

Buffalo Bills, 2000-????: same trailer, different park.
    1999 ... 11-5, playoff loss
    2000 .... 8-8
    2001 .... 3-13
    2002 .... 8-8
    2003 ... 6-10
    2004 ... 9-7
    2005 ... 5-11
    2006 ... 7-9
    2007 ...
    7-9
    2008 ... 7-9
    2009 ... 6-10
    2010 ... 4-12
    2011 ...
    6-10
    2012 ... 6-10
    2013 ... 6-10

And I thought the Bills were interested in Cam Newton at 3 last year...

Quote Originally Posted by kaystephenson View Post
    And I thought the Bills were interested in Cam Newton at 3 last year...
    They were. Newton would have been the pick last year if he fell to 3. I have no doubt about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    Okay but lets say that Kuechly, Kirkpatrick and Gilmore are the three highest rated players available when the Bills pick (which could be a posiblity), then we are going to take the BPA instead of reaching on someone for need.

Quote Originally Posted by StHustle View Post
    Ok so if Buddy really ALWAYS takes the BPA, what would happen if everytime we went to pick, a WR was the next best player available on our big board? Would we draft 10 WR's?!?

Or more realistically, since this is a deep WR class, what if half the time that happened? Would we actually draft 5 WR's?!?

My point is that needs have to weigh in at some point right?

Interested in the responses this will get...
    No Buddy won't draft ALL the wide receivers. Need is a factor. BPA is commonly stated on this board. As our team sits in the 1st round the BPA will most likely be a position of need.
    Adopt a Bill 2012: Ron Brooks is going to be a beast! Write that ish down!

If you don't bleed red white and blue then get out of the house cause you're not part of the family.

Thanks folks! Makes sense...