Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turk Schonert's 2012 Mock Draft

Default Turk Schonert's 2012 Mock Draft

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Yeah, that Turk Schonert ...

Turk's 2012 Mock Draft
    by Turk Schonert

We're a little over two weeks away from the draft so here is my take. I've seen some of the athletes play, but most of my picks are based on what I've read and heard. You guys and gals are more in tune with the college players than I am, so feel free to laugh, criticize, and if you have to ... cry at my picks. You can probably use it as a reference as to who not to pick in your FP draft. Enjoy the read!

1) Indy Colts - Andrew Luck (QB) - A no brainer ... he's a Stanford guy!!
    2) Washington Redskins - RG III (QB) - I just hope that Mike Shanahan gets and stays involved in teaching RG III, or else his progress will start slowly.
    3) Minnesota Vikings - Matt Kalil (OT) - An anchor for years at LT. Also, I played football in high school with his dad Frank, so I'm rooting for him to be drafted this high.
    4) Cleveland Browns - Justin Blackmon (WR) - This offense, and especially their QB, need some play makers. They also need to give their fans something to get excited about this year (Tannehill doesn't do that).
    5) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Morris Claiborne (CB) - This defense needs help, Claiborne is the best cover corner, and an immediate starter.
    6) St Louis Rams - Michael Floyd (WR) - Must get weapons for Sam Bradford!!!
    7) Jacksonville Jaguars - Melvin Ingram (DE) - Need an impact pass rusher
    8) Miami Dolphins - Dre Kirkpatrick (CB) - Can't have enough good cover corners with NE in this division
    9) Carolina Panthers - Michael Brockers (DT) - Must improve run defense
    10) Buffalo Bills - Riley Reiff (OT) - They need to address the tackle position if they want to be able to throw the ball down field.
    11) Kansas City Chiefs - David DeCastro (OG) - All around player, can go out to tackle if needed. Starter in year one.
    12) Seattle Seahawks - Quinton Coples (DE) - Need some pass rush to go along with that 12th man noise
    13) Arizona Cardinals - Jonathan Martin (OT) - With the top two WR's gone, they need to upgrade their O line ... for their QB's sake.
    14) Dallas Cowboys - Luke Kuechly (LB) - Plays sideline to sideline, would be a good addition to the Cowboys defense.
    15) Philadelphia Eagles - Mark Barron (SS) - Eagles need a play making safety badly.
    16) NY Jets - Trent Richardson (RB) - Best RB falls to ground and pound. Shonn Green and Richardson would make a terrific duo.
    17) Cincinnati Bengals - Fletcher Cox (DT) - Not sexy ... but needed.
    18) San Diego Chargers - Courtney Upshaw (LB) - Need more production out of their LBer core.
    19) Chicago Bears - Dontari Poe (DT) - Need somebody inside who is stout and can add an inside pass rush.
    20) Tennessee Titans - Peter Konz (C) - Fits well into run schemes, can pull and run.
    21) Miami Dolphins - (Trade up with Bengals to get in front of Cleveland) - Ryan Tannehill (QB) - Couldn't help themselves.
    22) Cleveland Browns - Stephen Gilmore (CB) - Can't have enough good corners.
    23) Detroit Lions - Donta Hightower (LB) - Need LB help badly.
    24) Pittsburgh Steelers - Mike Adams (OT) - O line has to be upgraded!!
    25) Denver Broncos - Devon Still (DT) - Must improve run defense so that opponents can't control the clock and keep Peyton on the bench.
    26) Houston Texans - Kendall Wright (WR) - More offense is good (you can quote me).
    27) New England Patriots - Andre Branch (DE/LB) - Converted DE to play OLB (6'4" 260). Sound familiar?
    28) Green Bay Packers - Kevin Zeitler (OG) - More protection for Rodgers is a good thing.
    29) Baltimore Ravens - Coby Fleener (TE) - Great RZ receiver, Ravens offense needs to score more points, nice weapon for Flacco.
    30) San Francisco 49ers - Jerel Worthy (DT) - More D line depth for an already very good defense.
    31) New England Patriots - Doug Martin (RB) - Can play all downs, catches the ball well, and has very good speed (4.4+) to be a break away threat. Again ... more offense is good!
    32) NY Giants - Orson Charles (TE) - Another vertical threat TE for Eli.
    justRN: "They carted off Freddies ACL after he ripped it out for being weak."

Mark Asper: "He'd come smashing in there and make a big play and he has no emotion. He just goes back to the defensive huddle, and we had to trash talk for him. Our big line was 'Kiko Smash.' "#TheLegendOfKikoAlonzo

www.billievers.com

I don't see Richardson falling into the Jets' lap like that. If anything, they'll need to trade up into the Top 10 to land him.
    I am not a number, I am a free robot.

I understand the need for Riley Reiff, but even if we get him, we still won't be able to throw the ball downfield. We need a quarterback that has downfield accuracy.

Just don't believe Richardson falls that far. He is the best since Adrian Peterson who was drafted at #7 mainly due to concerns about his Health - injury. Richardson is healthy.
    Personally, I believe the Browns take him...nothing helps a QB more than a good RB.

I am finding it funny all the people who say #10 is too high to take DeCastro and yet here is another move where he goes at #11 and Schonert even suggests he could play tackle if needed.
    Playoffs bound in 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by 54 spielman View Post
    I don't see Richardson falling into the Jets' lap like that. If anything, they'll need to trade up into the Top 10 to land him.
    Agreed. I would be shocked if Trent Richardson made it out of the top 10 still on the board. This is a running back which apparently excels in the running, blocking, and catching categories.
    Michael: Who are you people?
    Ben: We're the good guys Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Starks View Post
    Agreed. I would be shocked if Trent Richardson made it out of the top 10 still on the board. This is a running back which apparently excels in the running, blocking, and catching categories.
    The issue for Running Backs of any sort is what I will call "Adrian Petersen" syndrome. His injury last year is going to cause GM's to pause before selecting an RB early. Statistically RB's have the highest risk of severe injury, and the shortest shelf average shelf life at any position. Personally I would use a top 10 Pick on Richardson, because its only 1 pick, and I would take my chances. But it won't shock me if GM's are risk adverse enough for Richardson to fall out of the top 10.
    Its only OTA's
    Its only mini-camp
    Its only training camp
    Its only preseason
    Its only week 1, its a 16 week season.
    But if the Bills don't beat the Dolphins week 2, batten down the hatches, it will get ugly.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

Does anyone have an update on Turk, professionally? Where did he land? Is he an beat writer now?

Sucks that the Steelers are in a prime position to still get a Tier 1 OT that will fall.

Quote Originally Posted by whorlnut View Post
    I understand the need for Riley Reiff, but even if we get him, we still won't be able to throw the ball downfield. We need a quarterback that has downfield accuracy.
    you know....i never thought of that before....i am glad you brought that up.
    "Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." --- Thomas Jefferson

if when we pick richardson is there, not a chance in hell we stay b/c the phone will be ringing off the hook to trade it. Also, reiff at ten is stupid UNLESS you can guarantee me you are going to get stephen hill afterwards then, and only then, will I be ok with it

If Richardson even made it out of the top five I would be blown away let alone all the way to #16
    I LOVE ME SOME ME
    Adopt a Bill 2012- Cordy Glenn
    Adopt a Bill 2013- Mario Williams
    Adopt a Bill 2014- Sammy Watkins
    Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Emerson

So Turk is a sports writter now?

The Steelers pick at 24 and we pick at 10 and I think they got the better LT. This pick has to be BPA without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaGatorsBuffaloBills View Post
    So Turk is a sports writter now?
    He sure as hell wasn't an offensive coordinator.

LIke so many mocks, this is based almost solely on what he perceives teams needs to be. There are two things wrong with that: First, especially at the top of the draft, teams are more likely to go BPA, since the teams at the top of the draft are usually bad teams - they have a lot of needs, but most of all they need great talent.

Second, all these guys know only slightly better than we know what teams' ACTUAL needs are. If the Bills thought LT was such a great need, they would have kept Bell. They let him go, which tells me that they think Hairston can be the future at LT. So although Schonert may think the Bills need a starting tackle, I don't think the Bills think so. That tells me that they'll go BPA in the first round and pick a tackle for depth in the next few rounds (which is, by the way, EXACTLY how they got Hairston).
    The Ball Burglar is gone but not forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Koko78 View Post
    He sure as hell wasn't an offensive coordinator.
    He looked great the first 5-6 games of 2008....

Quote Originally Posted by Shaw66 View Post
    LIke so many mocks, this is based almost solely on what he perceives teams needs to be. There are two things wrong with that: First, especially at the top of the draft, teams are more likely to go BPA, since the teams at the top of the draft are usually bad teams - they have a lot of needs, but most of all they need great talent.

Second, all these guys know only slightly better than we know what teams' ACTUAL needs are. If the Bills thought LT was such a great need, they would have kept Bell. They let him go, which tells me that they think Hairston can be the future at LT. So although Schonert may think the Bills need a starting tackle, I don't think the Bills think so. That tells me that they'll go BPA in the first round and pick a tackle for depth in the next few rounds (which is, by the way, EXACTLY how they got Hairston).
    Shaw, these are my thoughts too.

Of course, we're set at RT with Pears, so OBD is really only looking at the LT position. It wouldn't make sense to let a player walk unless you're confident his replacement can fill the void. You can't depend on getting the tackle you want in the draft, so many things can happen, so I do believe they've got quite a bit of confidence in Hairston. I'm not convinced he's the answer, but I don't think they're spending a 1st or 2nd round pick on a tackle.

Nix usually tells it like it is, so I do believe they're going BPA with this selection. Outside of Trent Richardson, they could go in alot of directions. 43 OLB who can rush the passer. Versatile corner. Michael Floyd or Justin Blackmon. Even Ryan Tannenhill!

Quote Originally Posted by 54 spielman View Post
    IMO if Richardson is still on the board at #10 that would be good for the Bills because it would create a trade market for the #10 pick. (Jets, Bengals, Browns)

2014 Mock:

rd 1: Mack, Matthews, Ebron (in order - if gone trade down for Barr, Ealy)
    Surprise selection Rd. 1: DT Donald
    rd 2: DE Crichton, TE Niklas, OT Moses, WR Matthews
    rd 3: LB Skov, G Richardson, WR Latimer/Abbrederis
    rd 4: OT Turner, LB Brown, DE Hart, RB Williams
    rd 5: CB Colvin, Gaines, G Dozier
    rd 7: S Ladler, WR Norwood, RB Reaves
    UDFA: OT Lucas, TE Leonard, WR Grant, CB Drane, G Lowery, LB Divitto

This is like a pop gun draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaw66 View Post

Or the Bills knew like every fan watching him in the games since being drafted that he was a very average LT, Average may even be giving him too much credit. So letting go of Bell was easy for them, why have two Average guys fighting for one position when you can have 1 as a backup and draft another that can be your starter.
    2014 ADOPT-A-BILL-------> #50 LB KIKO ALONZO