Turk's 2012 Mock Draft
by Turk Schonert
We're a little over two weeks away from the draft so here is my take. I've seen some of the athletes play, but most of my picks are based on what I've read and heard. You guys and gals are more in tune with the college players than I am, so feel free to laugh, criticize, and if you have to ... cry at my picks. You can probably use it as a reference as to who not to pick in your FP draft. Enjoy the read!
1) Indy Colts - Andrew Luck (QB)
- A no brainer ... he's a Stanford guy!!
2) Washington Redskins - RG III (QB)
- I just hope that Mike Shanahan gets and stays involved in teaching RG III, or else his progress will start slowly.
3) Minnesota Vikings - Matt Kalil (OT)
- An anchor for years at LT. Also, I played football in high school with his dad Frank, so I'm rooting for him to be drafted this high.
4) Cleveland Browns - Justin Blackmon (WR)
- This offense, and especially their QB, need some play makers. They also need to give their fans something to get excited about this year (Tannehill doesn't do that).
5) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Morris Claiborne (CB)
- This defense needs help, Claiborne is the best cover corner, and an immediate starter.
6) St Louis Rams - Michael Floyd (WR)
- Must get weapons for Sam Bradford!!!
7) Jacksonville Jaguars - Melvin Ingram (DE)
- Need an impact pass rusher
8) Miami Dolphins - Dre Kirkpatrick (CB)
- Can't have enough good cover corners with NE in this division
9) Carolina Panthers - Michael Brockers (DT)
- Must improve run defense
10) Buffalo Bills - Riley Reiff (OT)
- They need to address the tackle position if they want to be able to throw the ball down field.
11) Kansas City Chiefs - David DeCastro (OG)
- All around player, can go out to tackle if needed. Starter in year one.
12) Seattle Seahawks - Quinton Coples (DE)
- Need some pass rush to go along with that 12th man noise
13) Arizona Cardinals - Jonathan Martin (OT)
- With the top two WR's gone, they need to upgrade their O line ... for their QB's sake.
14) Dallas Cowboys - Luke Kuechly (LB)
- Plays sideline to sideline, would be a good addition to the Cowboys defense.
15) Philadelphia Eagles - Mark Barron (SS)
- Eagles need a play making safety badly.
16) NY Jets - Trent Richardson (RB)
- Best RB falls to ground and pound. Shonn Green and Richardson would make a terrific duo.
17) Cincinnati Bengals - Fletcher Cox (DT)
- Not sexy ... but needed.
18) San Diego Chargers - Courtney Upshaw (LB)
- Need more production out of their LBer core.
19) Chicago Bears - Dontari Poe (DT)
- Need somebody inside who is stout and can add an inside pass rush.
20) Tennessee Titans - Peter Konz (C)
- Fits well into run schemes, can pull and run.
21) Miami Dolphins
- (Trade up with Bengals to get in front of Cleveland) - Ryan Tannehill (QB)
- Couldn't help themselves.
22) Cleveland Browns - Stephen Gilmore (CB)
- Can't have enough good corners.
23) Detroit Lions - Donta Hightower (LB)
- Need LB help badly.
24) Pittsburgh Steelers - Mike Adams (OT)
- O line has to be upgraded!!
25) Denver Broncos - Devon Still (DT)
- Must improve run defense so that opponents can't control the clock and keep Peyton on the bench.
26) Houston Texans - Kendall Wright (WR)
- More offense is good (you can quote me).
27) New England Patriots - Andre Branch (DE/LB)
- Converted DE to play OLB (6'4" 260). Sound familiar?
28) Green Bay Packers - Kevin Zeitler (OG)
- More protection for Rodgers is a good thing.
29) Baltimore Ravens - Coby Fleener (TE)
- Great RZ receiver, Ravens offense needs to score more points, nice weapon for Flacco.
30) San Francisco 49ers - Jerel Worthy (DT)
- More D line depth for an already very good defense.
31) New England Patriots - Doug Martin (RB)
- Can play all downs, catches the ball well, and has very good speed (4.4+) to be a break away threat. Again ... more offense is good!
32) NY Giants - Orson Charles (TE)
- Another vertical threat TE for Eli.