Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To bad theres no franchise qb's in this draft.

Currently in prison awaiting my blue fairy Godmother.

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Bucky Brooks thinks Mike Glennon might be the best QB in the draft; http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...b-draft-boards

Mike Glennon might be the best quarterback available in the 2013 NFL Draft.

I know that statement will take many by surprise, considering the endless hype and speculation surrounding West Virginia's Geno Smith and USC's Matt Barkley, but there is a growing sentiment in the NFL scouting community that the N.C. State star could be the crown jewel of this year's quarterback class....
    Trade back with AZ for AZ's 1, 2 ('14) & 1 ('15)

1. Ryan Shazier - OLB - Ohio State
    2. Troy Nicklaus - TE - Notre Dame
    2. Scott Chricton - DE - Oregon St.
    3. laurent duvernay-tardif - OT - Canada
    4. Martavis Bryant - WR - Clemson
    5. Marqueston Huff - FS - Wyoming
    7. Matt Patchan - OT - Boston College

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...pects-to-watch

This is a good Bucky Brooks article from November 2, 2012

The final college football season for top NFL prospects is a roller coaster ride. The preseason hype surrounding a player's potential is routinely followed by harsh criticism that seemingly sends his stock tumbling down the charts.

Part of the tumultuous ride can be attributed to NFL scouts finally taking a hard look at senior prospects after giving them a casual observation during their junior season. (As a rule, NFL scouts are prohibited from placing grades on underclassmen until they declare for the draft, so most evaluators don't complete a full write-up on redshirt sophomores or juniors.) This routinely leads to preseason speculation that fails to match the final evaluation, resulting in wild swings over the course of the season....

Quote Originally Posted by Howard W. Campbell Jr. View Post
    I'm hesitant about Barkley for the sole reason that he's come from USC. Leinart and Sanchez have made me wary of those guys. JMO
    Lets not ever forget Buffalo's least favorite daughter...Roberta Johnson. USC doesn't have a very impressive resume when it comes to producing successful NFL QBs.
    Boston Red Sox..2013 World Series Champions!!

President of the Yankee Haters Club of Northern New England

Quote Originally Posted by billsfaninmaine View Post
    Lets not ever forget Buffalo's least favorite daughter...Roberta Johnson. USC doesn't have a very impressive resume when it comes to producing successful NFL QBs.
    I forgot about RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Howard W. Campbell Jr. View Post
    I forgot about RJ
    You're lucky...I've tried. I apologize for opening old wounds...shouldn't of done that.
    Boston Red Sox..2013 World Series Champions!!

President of the Yankee Haters Club of Northern New England

OMG theres no good QBs in the draft? Maybe we should just skip next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshawn-2-the-housee View Post
    Says a message board troll. I will never claim to know what these nfl guys know but I'd bet a lot of money that at least one these Guys in the draft will be a franchise qb
    Fixed for ya.
    Adopt A Bill 2012 & 2013: Jairus Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by dogg View Post
    I think we can all predict the Bills luck here if we decide to make any drastic moves to get a first rounder (QB) this April................
    Yeah, I would prefer last year's draft of Andrew Luck, RGIII and even Tannehill, but the glass is half full. I see someone like Tyler Wilson as an UPGRADE to Fitzpatrick.

Will we be drafting the next Peyton Manning, or Andrew Luck? No. But we will finally be making an effort to upgrade QB.
    2014 Mock Draft

Trade down

After trading back --> LB Ryan Shazier
    2a)TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins __ 2b) WR Donte Montcrief
    3) CB Bashaud Breeland - Clemson
    4) RB Lache Seastrunk - Baylor
    5) DE Taylor Hart - Oregon
    6) * WR Mike Williams *
    7) S Jestin Love, Central Arkansas

Keep drafting QBs. Fill the pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurman#1 View Post
    It's a very rare year when there's no franchise QB. You just have to correctly identify the guy.
    Actually, NOT so rare at all since 2002 and 2007 yielded no decent QBs at all, and depending upon how you rank Carson Palmer and Jay Cutler, 2003 and 2006 weren't very good either since those were the only QBs who amounted to anything from those drafts.

What actually IS rare is getting a true "franchise QB" who performs at a high level most of his career. What's a once in a generation occurrence is getting more than one from the same draft. Consequently, I'm NOT optimistic that the 2011 and 2012 drafts will actually yield multiple "franchise QBs". If there's one in the lot, that's a good draft.

First & Second Round and other "successful" QBs from other rounds since 2000:
    2000 - Chad Pennington (#18), Marc Bulger (6th), Tom Brady (6th)
    2001 - Michael Vick (#1), Drew Brees (2nd), Quincy Carter (2nd), Marques Tiasosopo (2nd)
    2002 - David Carr (#1), Joey Harrington (#3), Patrick Ramsey(#32), David Garrard (4th)
    2003 - Carson Palmer (#1), Byron Leftwich (#7), Kyle Boller (#19), Rex Grossman (#22)
    2004 - Eli Manning (#1), Phillip Rivers (#3), Ben Roethlisberger (#11), JP Losman (#22), Matt Schaub (3rd)
    2005 - Alex Smith (#1), Aaron Rodgers (#24), Jason Campbell (#25), Kyle Orton (4th), Matt Cassell (7th), Ryan Fitzpatrick (7th)
    2006 - Vince Young (#3), Matt Leinart (#10), Jay Cutler (#11),Kellen Clemens, Tarvaris Jackson (2nd)
    2007 - JaMarcus Russell (#1), Brady Quinn (#22), Kevin Kolb (2nd), John Beck (2nd), Drew Stanton (2nd)
    2008 - Matt Ryan (#3), Joe Flacco (#18), Brian Brohm (2nd), Chad Henne (2nd)
    2009 - Matthew Stafford (#1), Mark Sanchez (#5), Josh Freeman (#17)*, Pat White (2nd)
    2010 - Sam Bradford (#1)*, Tim Tebow (#25)**, Jimmy Claussen (2nd)

I bolded the guys I think are "franchise QBs", the others are "useful" QBs, from decent starters to very good starting QBs. I put the outright busts from the first and second rounds in red (IMO, a QB drafted after the 2nd really can't bust). The guys that are marked as * are questionable in that they are young and haven't seemed to progress as much as hoped. I think if they don't step up this season, though, they're probably busts. ** for Tim Tebow is that he shouldn't have been picked in the first round. What was Josh McDaniels thinking???

These kids are still works in progress ...
    2011 - Cam Newton (#1), Jake Locker (#8), Blaine Gabbert (#10), Christian Ponder (#12), Andy Dalton (2nd)
    2012 - Andrew Luck (#1), Robert Griffin III (#2), Ryan Tannehill (#8), Brandon Weeden (#22), Russell Wilson (3rd)

... Some are shining early on, but the key to being a "franchise QB" is to play well over most of your career, NOT for a season or two. The book is still out on these young QBs.
    Should have kept Marshawn ... and Andy ... Jairus ...

Buffalo Bills, 2000-????: same trailer, different park.
    1999 ... 11-5, playoff loss
    2000 .... 8-8
    2001 .... 3-13
    2002 .... 8-8
    2003 ... 6-10
    2004 ... 9-7
    2005 ... 5-11
    2006 ... 7-9
    2007 ...
    7-9
    2008 ... 7-9
    2009 ... 6-10
    2010 ... 4-12
    2011 ...
    6-10
    2012 ... 6-10
    2013 ... 6-10

Quote Originally Posted by LINDA_D View Post
    Actually, NOT so rare at all since 2002 and 2007 yielded no decent QBs at all, and depending upon how you rank Carson Palmer and Jay Cutler, 2003 and 2006 weren't very good either since those were the only QBs who amounted to anything from those drafts.

What actually IS rare is getting a true "franchise QB" who performs at a high level most of his career. What's a once in a generation occurrence is getting more than one from the same draft. Consequently, I'm NOT optimistic that the 2011 and 2012 drafts will actually yield multiple "franchise QBs". If there's one in the lot, that's a good draft.

First & Second Round and other "successful" QBs from other rounds since 2000:
    2000 - Chad Pennington (#18), Marc Bulger (6th), Tom Brady (6th)
    2001 - Michael Vick (#1), Drew Brees (2nd), Quincy Carter (2nd), Marques Tiasosopo (2nd)
    2002 - David Carr (#1), Joey Harrington (#3), Patrick Ramsey(#32), David Garrard (4th)
    2003 - Carson Palmer (#1), Byron Leftwich (#7), Kyle Boller (#19), Rex Grossman (#22)
    2004 - Eli Manning (#1), Phillip Rivers (#3), Ben Roethlisberger (#11), JP Losman (#22), Matt Schaub (3rd)
    2005 - Alex Smith (#1), Aaron Rodgers (#24), Jason Campbell (#25), Kyle Orton (4th), Matt Cassell (7th), Ryan Fitzpatrick (7th)
    2006 - Vince Young (#3), Matt Leinart (#10), Jay Cutler (#11),Kellen Clemens, Tarvaris Jackson (2nd)
    2007 - JaMarcus Russell (#1), Brady Quinn (#22), Kevin Kolb (2nd), John Beck (2nd), Drew Stanton (2nd)
    2008 - Matt Ryan (#3), Joe Flacco (#18), Brian Brohm (2nd), Chad Henne (2nd)
    2009 - Matthew Stafford (#1), Mark Sanchez (#5), Josh Freeman (#17)*, Pat White (2nd)
    2010 - Sam Bradford (#1)*, Tim Tebow (#25)**, Jimmy Claussen (2nd)

I bolded the guys I think are "franchise QBs", the others are "useful" QBs, from decent starters to very good starting QBs. I put the outright busts from the first and second rounds in red (IMO, a QB drafted after the 2nd really can't bust). The guys that are marked as * are questionable in that they are young and haven't seemed to progress as much as hoped. I think if they don't step up this season, though, they're probably busts. ** for Tim Tebow is that he shouldn't have been picked in the first round. What was Josh McDaniels thinking???

These kids are still works in progress ...
    2011 - Cam Newton (#1), Jake Locker (#8), Blaine Gabbert (#10), Christian Ponder (#12), Andy Dalton (2nd)
    2012 - Andrew Luck (#1), Robert Griffin III (#2), Ryan Tannehill (#8), Brandon Weeden (#22), Russell Wilson (3rd)

... Some are shining early on, but the key to being a "franchise QB" is to play well over most of your career, NOT for a season or two. The book is still out on these young QBs.
    I think Smith Flacco ans Stafford are all shaping up to possibly be franchise guys that simply took longer to become them. Especially Smith and Stafford who both had situations beyond their control that effected their results. Smith with his 1.5 new coaches per year and Stafford with his ungodly bad lu k with long term injuries. Flacco seems to simply e getting better as he goes.
    Adopt A Bill 2012 & 2013: Jairus Byrd

It all depends on coaching. Dick Jauron would have them all in the USFL in 3 to 4 years. Not a bad group of QB's, but no elite, like Luck, RG3 or Newton. These guys would be more like Aaron Rogers and need a couple years behind a starting QB.

[QUOTE=Howard W. Campbell Jr.;6409627]Bucky Brooks thinks Mike Glennon might be the best QB in the draft; http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...b-draft-boards

It still pisses me off that the Bills picked that guy early in the 2nd round. Huge fail. I wonder if he analyzes better than he played.
    (if your post is too long or has annoying fonts, I probably won't read it).

(if you start a thread with a title that ends . . . I definitely won't read it).

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateRules View Post
    It all depends on coaching. Dick Jauron would have them all in the USFL in 3 to 4 years. Not a bad group of QB's, but no elite, like Luck, RG3 or Newton. These guys would be more like Aaron Rogers and need a couple years behind a starting QB.
    True. It always bothers me when a team makes a player fit the system rather than a system that fits the player. Ex. Losman in a ball control offense, Edwards in anything except the West Coast. Denver did a great job in adjusting the offense to Tebow last year . . . similar to the Bills when Flutie started under Phillips. If you are going to draft a guy, make the scheme fit the talent.
    (if your post is too long or has annoying fonts, I probably won't read it).

(if you start a thread with a title that ends . . . I definitely won't read it).

Quote Originally Posted by LINDA_D View Post

Doesn't matter. You simply have to draft a QB high. And if it doesn't work, do it again a year or two later.

You aren't going to find your franchisee QB on the shelf at Wegmans. You have to draft him. And, yes it is a risk. But not drafting a QB guarantees you won't find an elite guy.
    2014 Mock Draft

Trade down

After trading back --> LB Ryan Shazier
    2a)TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins __ 2b) WR Donte Montcrief
    3) CB Bashaud Breeland - Clemson
    4) RB Lache Seastrunk - Baylor
    5) DE Taylor Hart - Oregon
    6) * WR Mike Williams *
    7) S Jestin Love, Central Arkansas

Keep drafting QBs. Fill the pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by MarioBilliams View Post
    geno smith, matt barkley,logan thomas,landry jones,tyler wilson just too name a few that are already better than fitzpatrick hence good enough to be a franchise kinda guy.
    You just assume any college qb is better than fitz! There is no way Thomas or jones come in and play better than fitz! Maybe 5 years from now but these guys aren't great. Barkley and smith are probably immediately better than fitz tho

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan42790 View Post
    It's not a terrible year for QB's, it's just not like last year with Luck, and RGIII. People thought 2011 was a bad year for QB's, and it turned out decent. This year reminds me a lot of 2011. Let's just hope we land this years Andy Dalton, and not Blaine Gabbert.
    Gabbert has actually been pretty good this year

No franchise QBs? Thanks for the insight, Mel.
    3 years ago

"What matters is two years and three years down the road, if we have this thing turned around in the right direction and we're winning," Nix said. "I know before I'm asked this, you're going to think I'm crazy, but we're not that far away."

“Russ and I scanned a list of possible candidates,” Wilson said. “We didn’t know them. I didn’t know them. I don’t think Russ did. We narrowed it down to two candidates for the job of general manager of football, two in-house candidates.”

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
    I think Smith Flacco ans Stafford are all shaping up to possibly be franchise guys that simply took longer to become them. Especially Smith and Stafford who both had situations beyond their control that effected their results. Smith with his 1.5 new coaches per year and Stafford with his ungodly bad lu k with long term injuries. Flacco seems to simply e getting better as he goes.
    You can argue different individuals are "franchise QBs", but my point is that any individual draft is likely to produce only 1 "franchise QB" at best. Occasionally a draft will produce more than 1 or 2 decent or better QBs (2004 and 2005), but NOT all of them come from the first or second round. It also looks like taking more QBs in the first round of the draft doesn't actually mean that year's crop is particularly good, either:
    2002 had 3 first rounders with 3 busts.
    2003 had 4 first rounders with 3 busts.
    2004 had 4 first rounders with 1 bust.
    2005 had 3 first rounders with 1 bust.
    2006 had 3 first rounders with 2 busts.
    2009 had 3 first rounders with 1 bust and 1 ??? so far.

The number of first or second round QB prospects in a draft class means NOTHING. The Bills took a first round QB in 2004 from the best QB draft class since 1983, and they still missed. If they hadn't panicked, they could have taken Matt Schaub as late as the third round in 2004 or they could have waited and taken Aaron Rodgers the next year or even Jay Cutler the year after. The college football programs are NOT going to stop producing QBs, so there will always be more QB prospects.

What the Bills need to do is draft a QB they really, really like NOT settle for the last one left with a first round grade because they need a QB.

stir the pot

Is this more OBD selling Fitz koolaid? A store clerk would be a upgrade to the Fitz. To the OP watch some college ball there is plenty QBs available with 10times more talent then the below average backup we call a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by intimidatortj View Post
    Doesn't matter. You simply have to draft a QB high. And if it doesn't work, do it again a year or two later.

You aren't going to find your franchisee QB on the shelf at Wegmans. You have to draft him. And, yes it is a risk. But not drafting a QB guarantees you won't find an elite guy.
    Its like the NY lottery you have to be in it to win it. OBD never buys a ticket