Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buddy knows how to draft quarterbacks

Default Buddy knows how to draft quarterbacks

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Buddy Nix knows how to draft franchise quarterbacks, I'm just curious as to what he is waiting for to do it here. Nix had a hand in drafting 2 terrific QB's in San Diego as the Assistant GM to AJ Smith. I believe Nix doesn't want to make the mistake of drafting the wrong guy, because he has first hand knowledge of what it can do a franchise. If anyone can recall Nix and AJ Smith arrived at San Diego in the wake of the aftermath of the Ryan Leaf fiasco. They traded for Doug Flutie from Buffalo, then in 2002 draft Drew Brees, then Philip Rivers in 2006. I just wonder is Nix is being too wary of drafting the wrong guy.

sig by Slinkcsubacca

2012 Adopt-a-Bill: Rian Lindell
    2013 Adopt-a-Bill: Alan Branch

First round next year don't worry.

3 years and no QB...

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEz View Post
    3 years and no QB...
    Aww you learned to count.

3 years and no QB...
    Draft the wrong guy and he sets this franchise back 5 years. If Fitz was playing better I would be ok with him building the team and then plugging in the right guy.

sig by Slinkcsubacca

Quote Originally Posted by Jlewis16 View Post
    Draft the wrong guy and he sets this franchise back 5 years. If Fitz was playing better I would be ok with him building the team and then plugging in the right guy.
    I think they were hoping for Newton to fall into their laps and didn't feel the need to chase him.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry View Post
    With the first overall pick...in the 2014 NFL Draft....the Buffalo Bills select....Taylor Lejuan.

<Lejuan walks on stage, puts a football helmet on Goodell's head and promptly yanks the facemask>
    1) Jake Matthews - OT - Texas A&M
    2) Jordan Matthews - WR - Vanderbilt
    3) CJ Fiedorowicz - TE - Iowa
    4) Josh Mauro - DE - Stanford
    5) Preston Brown - ILB - Louisville
    7) Matt Hazel - WR - Coastal Carolina

UDFA: Keith Lewis - CB - Lynchburg

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSeriousAllTheTimeTotallyNotAHypocrite View Post
    I think they were hoping for Newton to fall into their laps and didn't feel the need to chase him.
    I don't blame Nix for not selling the farm to go get a QB, when they had so many other holes to fill. But now it's getting close to where they need to make a move at some point to get that QB.

sig by Slinkcsubacca

I don't blame Nix for not selling the farm to go get a QB, when they had so many other holes to fill. But now it's getting close to where they need to make a move at some point to get that QB.
    I think we're probably a new DC and a QB away from being playoff-bound. The talent is there on both sides of the ball and we need someone to utilise that.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry View Post
    With the first overall pick...in the 2014 NFL Draft....the Buffalo Bills select....Taylor Lejuan.

<Lejuan walks on stage, puts a football helmet on Goodell's head and promptly yanks the facemask>
    1) Jake Matthews - OT - Texas A&M
    2) Jordan Matthews - WR - Vanderbilt
    3) CJ Fiedorowicz - TE - Iowa
    4) Josh Mauro - DE - Stanford
    5) Preston Brown - ILB - Louisville
    7) Matt Hazel - WR - Coastal Carolina

UDFA: Keith Lewis - CB - Lynchburg

Quote Originally Posted by GMBNix View Post
    Aww you learned to count.

Buddy Nix knows how to draft franchise quarterbacks, I'm just curious as to what he is waiting for to do it here. Nix had a hand in drafting 2 terrific QB's in San Diego as the Assistant GM to AJ Smith. I believe Nix doesn't want to make the mistake of drafting the wrong guy, because he has first hand knowledge of what it can do a franchise. If anyone can recall Nix and AJ Smith arrived at San Diego in the wake of the aftermath of the Ryan Leaf fiasco. They traded for Doug Flutie from Buffalo, then in 2002 draft Drew Brees, then Philip Rivers in 2006. I just wonder is Nix is being too wary of drafting the wrong guy.
    Brees was drafted in 2002
    Rivers was drafted in 2004 by the Giants and was part of the Eli Manning trade

team had a ton of holes to fill and none of the top QB's were available to us in the first round. he's said it many times you don't just draft a QB just because u need one.

3 years and no QB...

I say they should use the "buck shot" approach to drafting a franchise QB.

Round 1) Matt Barkley

Round 2) EJ Manuel

Round 3) Landry Jones

One of these guys has to be good

Good God people, that was 12 years ago! *** you thinking!?!?!?!

All I know is that he likes 7th rounders, the only thing we can hope for is a gem in a relatively deep cache of QBs in the 1st and early 2nd.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 Mock - Reversing the Curse

1- Jake Matthews - OT - Texas A&M
    2- Kyle Van Noy - OLB - BYU - its like Lawrence Taylor and Jason Taylor had a baby
    3- Anthony Steen - G - Alabama
    4- Beau Allen - DT Wisconsin - Meatball 2.0
    5- Aaron Colvin - CB - Oklahoma
    6- Traded to TB for Mike Williams
    7- C J Barnett - S Ohio State

stir the pot

Buffalo has the worst QBs in the league he is doing horrible here. If he screws up this draft and doesnt get one early I want Nix fired.

Quote Originally Posted by billsfan589 View Post
    Brees was drafted in 2002
    Rivers was drafted in 2004 by the Giants and was part of the Eli Manning trade
    I think you meant Brees was drafted in 2001. And you are correct about Rivers being drafted in 2004.

Nix on Levi Brown "we got our guy''..

This team sucked so much 3 years ago, a rookie qb woulda got Jauroninized. Only mistake was giving Pickspatrick all that money. Next year we take a qb for sure

We had other glaring holes and we would have had to reach for any Qb that fell to us.

Not for nothing, if Nix drafts [say] Barkley and the kid goes on to be one of the best QBs in the NFL is anyone going to come out and clamor about how Whaley had so much to do with it?

Folks are looking into Nix's time with San Diego way to much. I am sure Nix had some say but ultimately it was Smith who was making the calls.

That being said, you can not take a QB if the QB is not the right guy for the job. The Bills wanted Newton that didn't happen, but does go to show Buffalo knew they needed an answer to the QB position and despite fist pumping over landing Dareus- the rookie season Newton had proved the Bills would have landed a stud in Newton and not a bust.

Thus, I have faith Nix will land the correct player... MATT BARKLEY.
    I LOVE ME SOME ME
    Adopt a Bill 2012- Cordy Glenn
    Adopt a Bill 2013- Mario Williams
    Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Emerson

Mock 3/16
    1) Mike Evans WR, A&M
    2) Jace Amaro TE, Texas Tech
    3) Anthony Johnson DT, LSU
    4) Billy Turner OT, North Dakota State
    5) Michael Sam DE, Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSeriousAllTheTimeTotallyNotAHypocrite View Post
    I think we're probably a new DC and a QB away from being playoff-bound. The talent is there on both sides of the ball and we need someone to utilise that.

That I agree with. If we had a good DC, we could limit our complaints about Gailey to the handful of ridiculous calls he makes each game, but still, our Offense is averaging over 24 points a game (over 28 if you take out the San Fan game).