Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Thank god we ran Perry Fewell out of town.

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Quote Originally Posted by DarylLamonica View Post
    You have identified he #1 attribute of a great coach as defined by the BBMB.
    as sad as his statement sounds i would have to agree i want a rah rah coach lol.

A man's got to BILLieve in something. I BILLieve I'll have another drink.
    -- W.C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Most important positions in football HC & QB, correct? What has happened in those positions in BUFFALO? I'm not talking about spot starts I definitely mean Franchise face of the team QBs. There is a lot I don't know because of age. You keep bringing up 2 or 3 situations from 40yrs ago. Aren't they outliers?
    What more can I say, yes of course they were outliers, for their social signifigance they were huge back then. As I said what "courage" does it take to have an AA QB nowadays, zip.

So the Bills are so racist now why would they have taken a look at Vy and why would they trade for T Jackson? If VY could have managed zero ints instead of 2 interceptions from his 10 passes in his last pre-season game I think he might still be here, might even be the starter. No wonder no one has picked him up.

Taken a look at VY that is funny. Didnt Thig play just as bad? Even Jerry says it was a joke that they cut Vince. Now TJ is here & they throw a playbook excuse out & wont give reps. Id also say that these were anomolies in Buffalo 2. We are being force fed Fitz.
    The changes have to work. Right?

Taken a look at VY that is funny. Didnt Thig play just as bad? Even Jerry says it was a joke that they cut Vince. Now TJ is here & they throw a playbook excuse out & wont give reps. Id also say that these were anomolies in Buffalo 2. We are being force fed Fitz.
    So what are you trying to say, they cut VY because he is AA nd kept Thigpen because he is white?

1) Why would they even bother to pick of VY in the first place.
    2) What team is the incredible talent of VY on now?
    3) Why would they trade for TJ in the first place if there were racists.

If you are trying to make an argument they are racists over the above all I can do is shake me head.

I will tell you why they are real racists, when was the last time they had an AA punter or kicker? I dont think they have ever had either!!!! We need a Rooney Rule for kickers and punters.

And who the hell is this Jerry you keep referencing?

What more can I say, yes of course they were outliers, for their social signifigance they were huge back then. As I said what "courage" does it take to have an AA QB nowadays, zip.

So the Bills are so racist now why would they have taken a look at Vy and why would they trade for T Jackson? If VY could have managed zero ints instead of 2 interceptions from his 10 passes in his last pre-season game I think he might still be here, might even be the starter. No wonder no one has picked him up.
    It's obvious that they traded for Tjax as A Pr move to cover for cutting Vince. So no one could say they cut him because he is Aa. 2 int gets him cut yet Fitz is allowed to keep his job after leading the league in interceptions the year before. His last game he threw a wopping 4. But yet in still his job was never in jepordy. Also Thigpen throws three pick sixes in preseason but is still able to keep his backup job making 4million a season while Vince would have only made 1.

It's obvious
    #Bills @EJManuel3 is 1st @NFL QB since 1960 to post rating of 89+ (min. 20 att.) in each of 1st 2 gms of rookie season (105.5, 89.3)
    6:24 PM - 15 Sep 2013

Go BILLS

14-2 Prediction!!!

2014 Adopt-A-Bill : Chris Gragg

Quote Originally Posted by Kozel View Post
    Fitzpatrick will have a better year than EJ... Bank it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fruitbelt Bills Fan 716 View Post
    It's obvious that they traded for Tjax as A Pr move to cover for cutting Vince. So no one could say they cut him because he is Aa. 2 int gets him cut yet Fitz is allowed to keep his job after leading the league in interceptions the year before. His last game he threw a wopping 4. But yet in still his job was never in jepordy. Also Thigpen throws three pick sixes in preseason but is still able to keep his backup job making 4million a season while Vince would have only made 1.

It's obvious
    Are you freakin kidding me, is this a joke?

Ehh, because if you are talking about race in the USA the time frame is highly relevant. It takes no "courage" to hire an AA as a QB or HC nowadays, no one cares (except for racists on both sides) but having an AA QB in the 60-early 70s was a very big deal, in fact it was precedent setting.

Who the hell cares if an AA or White starts at QB? So if Tavaris Jackson starts last few games does that prove anything about OBD and race, I would say ZERO.
    Exactly this. Furthermore, it's an undeserved slur on Ralph Wilson. Wilson has NOT been the best owner and certainly I have dissed him when he deserved it, but he has always been square on race issues.

Look how long ago that was. Briscoe played for the broncos in 68 .An i said starting Qb and Head coach not back ups an assistants. Eldridge Reno Dickey was the first Aa drafted in the nfl to the raiders. Soo no Ralph wasn't this pioneer you keep trying to make him out to be. He was just following the sign of the times. You can't have Jason Sehorn checking Desean Jackson. Lol

As for perry, he wouldn't have even been considered for the interview if it weren't for the Rooney rule.
    Mea culpa on Briscoe. However, what part of "the Bills made Harris the first black player to start a season at quarterback and the second black player in the modern era to start in any game as quarterback for a professional football team" do you NOT understand? He was supposed to be the replacement for Jack Kemp, but he didn't work out. He did go on to have some success with San Diego. Dickey was the first African American drafted in the first round but he was moved to WR and never played QB for Oakland. That, my friend, was the reality for African Americans in the 1960s and 1970s.

Most important positions in football HC & QB, correct? What has happened in those positions in BUFFALO? I'm not talking about spot starts I definitely mean Franchise face of the team QBs. There is a lot I don't know because of age. You keep bringing up 2 or 3 situations from 40yrs ago. Aren't they outliers?
    Not really. Race relations today are NOTHING like they were 40-50 years ago. DarrylLamonica, whom I suspect lived through those times like I did, is dead on.

Fifty years ago, schools and colleges throughout the South were still segregated as were transportation, restaurants, toilets, etc. There were riots in 1962 at Ole Miss when James Meredith was enrolled there (ESPN just ran a program on that last week). Civil rights activists were NOT just beaten up, they were murdered. The KKK intimidated NOT just African Americans but also whites who didn't toe the racist/segregationist line. Most African Americans in the South weren't even allowed to vote back then.

Even in the North and West, discrimination was the norm, especially in housing and in schools. It's why so many urban school districts in the North and Midwest were forced to come up with busing plans in the 1970s: they were proven in court to have systematically assigned students to specific schools base on race long after the Supreme Court ruled it illegal. Buffalo was one of those cities, and yeah, it was a very racist city at the time, and still is in some areas, although it's better than it was when I lived in the city in the 1960s-1980s.

It's very difficult for younger people who don't remember that time to imagine what it was like. It's sort of like trying to imagine what it was like living through the Civil War or the Great Depression or WW II. You can learn about it through various media, but you can't truly fathom living in that time unless you were there. As DarylLamonica said, it took courage to do back then what we take for granted now.
    Should have kept Marshawn ... and Andy ... Jairus ...

Buffalo Bills, 2000-????: same trailer, different park.
    1999 ... 11-5, playoff loss
    2000 .... 8-8
    2001 .... 3-13
    2002 .... 8-8
    2003 ... 6-10
    2004 ... 9-7
    2005 ... 5-11
    2006 ... 7-9
    2007 ...
    7-9
    2008 ... 7-9
    2009 ... 6-10
    2010 ... 4-12
    2011 ...
    6-10
    2012 ... 6-10
    2013 ... 6-10

By the way, anyone bother to talk about who the new heir apparent GM is at the racist OBD?

Are you freakin kidding me, is this a joke?
    No, do you think it was a coincidence that they brought him in the same exact day? Do we really need four quarterbacks? If so why not keep a guy who was here all mini camp, ota's and preseason?
    #Bills @EJManuel3 is 1st @NFL QB since 1960 to post rating of 89+ (min. 20 att.) in each of 1st 2 gms of rookie season (105.5, 89.3)
    6:24 PM - 15 Sep 2013

Go BILLS

14-2 Prediction!!!

2014 Adopt-A-Bill : Chris Gragg

Quote Originally Posted by Kozel View Post
    Fitzpatrick will have a better year than EJ... Bank it!!!

No, do you think it was a coincidence that they brought him in the same exact day? Do we really need four quarterbacks? If so why not keep a guy who was here all mini camp, ota's and preseason?

Those racists bastards had it all planned. They said, First we will pick up VY, then we will cut him because we dont like AA QBs but to protect ourselves on the PR front we will pick up another AA QB in TYJackson the same day.

I can only conclude you are jerking me around or see "race" in everything.

Does the above sound reasonable to you at all?

So what are you trying to say, they cut VY because he is AA nd kept Thigpen because he is white?

1) Why would they even bother to pick of VY in the first place.
    2) What team is the incredible talent of VY on now?
    3) Why would they trade for TJ in the first place if there were racists.

If you are trying to make an argument they are racists over the above all I can do is shake me head.

I will tell you why they are real racists, when was the last time they had an AA punter or kicker? I dont think they have ever had either!!!! We need a Rooney Rule for kickers and punters.

And who the hell is this Jerry you keep referencing?
    Im saying VY never had a chance. Thig threw pick sixes whts going on? That situation maybe just what you are saying but can you really explain it?
    I'm referring 2 Jerry Sullivan you know him?
    Punters & Kickers?
    I asked you earlier what has happened in Buffalo with the HC and QB 2 face of the franchise positions since way back when? You avoided what I'm asking.

Quote Originally Posted by LINDA_D View Post
    Exactly this. Furthermore, it's an undeserved slur on Ralph Wilson. Wilson has NOT been the best owner and certainly I have dissed him when he deserved it, but he has always been square on race issues.

Mea culpa on Briscoe. However, what part of "the Bills made Harris the first black player to start a season at quarterback and the second black player in the modern era to start in any game as quarterback for a professional football team" do you NOT understand? He was supposed to be the replacement for Jack Kemp, but he didn't work out. He did go on to have some success with San Diego. Dickey was the first African American drafted in the first round but he was moved to WR and never played QB for Oakland. That, my friend, was the reality for African Americans in the 1960s and 1970s.

Not really. Race relations today are NOTHING like they were 40-50 years ago. DarrylLamonica, whom I suspect lived through those times like I did, is dead on.

Fifty years ago, schools and colleges throughout the South were still segregated as were transportation, restaurants, toilets, etc. There were riots in 1962 at Ole Miss when James Meredith was enrolled there (ESPN just ran a program on that last week). Civil rights activists were NOT just beaten up, they were murdered. The KKK intimidated NOT just African Americans but also whites who didn't toe the racist/segregationist line. Most African Americans in the South weren't even allowed to vote back then.

Even in the North and West, discrimination was the norm, especially in housing and in schools. It's why so many urban school districts in the North and Midwest were forced to come up with busing plans in the 1970s: they were proven in court to have systematically assigned students to specific schools base on race long after the Supreme Court ruled it illegal. Buffalo was one of those cities, and yeah, it was a very racist city at the time, and still is in some areas, although it's better than it was when I lived in the city in the 1960s-1980s.

It's very difficult for younger people who don't remember that time to imagine what it was like. It's sort of like trying to imagine what it was like living through the Civil War or the Great Depression or WW II. You can learn about it through various media, but you can't truly fathom living in that time unless you were there. As DarylLamonica said, it took courage to do back then what we take for granted now.
    No I actually get that. Glad I didn't live through all that. I'm saying some are pointing out those 2 events way back when. I'm saying since that happened were they scared away altogether? What has happened since? Regarding the QB position & HC position. No chances?

Im saying VY never had a chance. Thig threw pick sixes whts going on? That situation maybe just what you are saying but can you really explain it?
    I'm referring 2 Jerry Sullivan you know him?
    Punters & Kickers?
    I asked you earlier what has happened in Buffalo with the HC and QB 2 face of the franchise positions since way back when? You avoided what I'm asking.

They kept Thigpen because he knows Gailey's system inside and out and Gailey keeps his buddies, and yes Thigpen is a terrible QB yes, so was VY at Buffalo. VY had a chance, he had an entire off-season and up to the 3rd pre season game, he threw the picks, no one else and they were bad picks. There is a reason why no NFL team picked him up.

Sullivan knows as much as the average BBMB poster does about football so in other words, not much.

And as for this line, "I asked you earlier what has happened in Buffalo with the HC and QB 2 face of the franchise positions since way back when?" I honestly dont know what you are trying to say.

Let me just say this, when,. not if Nix is fired retired which is probably in the next year and Whaley is the new GM, will that be enough for you to "prove" OBD is not racist?

The NFL is highly competitive and is what, 85% AA, does anyone really think that ANY NFL team could be close to competitive and be racist? I dont.

They kept Thigpen because he knows Gailey's system inside and out and Gailey keeps his buddies, and yes Thigpen is a terrible QB yes, so was VY at Buffalo. VY had a chance, he had an entire off-season and up to the 3rd pre season game, he threw the picks, no one else and they were bad picks. There is a reason why no NFL team picked him up.

Sullivan knows as much as the average BBMB poster does about football so in other words, not much.

And as for this line, "I asked you earlier what has happened in Buffalo with the HC and QB 2 face of the franchise positions since way back when?" I honestly dont know what you are trying to say.

Let me just say this, when,. not if Nix is fired retired which is probably in the next year and Whaley is the new GM, will that be enough for you to "prove" OBD is not racist?

The NFL is highly competitive and is what, 85% AA, does anyone really think that ANY NFL team could be close to competitive and be racist? I dont.
    Not GM(important also). Not assistant coaches
    I keep saying HC & QB hiring. Ok DL I'm going 2 back away. I may be completely wrong. & that Jerry statement was YOUR opinion and means absolutely nothing. You like trying 2 take shots at the MB like you are all knowing. Take shots at this crap organization which hasn't made the playoffs in almost a decade in a half. Most of these posters have been dead 2 rights about the overall direction of these sad teams.

they were 4-3 when Fewell took over I think. still he was a good guy.. should of kept in some way, but good to see him win a superbowl
    THEVOICE
    You can't fight for the future, because the future is now, the time to fight is now. Nothing is meaningless, at the end of the day... progress is everything. ~K2 Gunner
    Original Gunslinger - Reachin For Halos - Billiever

Yeah he really called a great game yesterday didn't he.

Quote Originally Posted by pot_dragon View Post
    Remember when he was our D coordinator, then got our team fired up and led a late season rejuvenation as interim HC.....then was given a token HC interview then promptly told to GTFO. Gee, he went on to really suck as the Giants D coordinator, and our team defense improved incredibly. Thank goodness we pulled that move off.
    ...and how does being a "good" coordinator on a defense who's 4th DE is better than our 1st make him a good candidate for Bills head coach prior to him being dubbed a "good" coordinator?

Seriously, he played the same crap defense that Jauron had him run those last 7 games....that same one we've been running most of this season.
    How do I loathe Jon Bon Jovi, let me count the ways ....
    1. He wants to buy into the team and move it to Toronto, leaving THREE NFL Franchises in Florida and ZERO in New York.
    2. He's a Jets fan.
    3. He's friends with Bill Belichick.

Seriously, why doesn't the league just kick us all where it counts and take a 15 yard penalty for taunting if they let Jon Bon Jovi and his highlights buy into our team.

In 1987, Jon was all about Tommy and Gina. In 2014, Jon's all about Claude and Anais.

Not GM(important also). Not assistant coaches
    I keep saying HC & QB hiring. Ok DL I'm going 2 back away. I may be completely wrong. & that Jerry statement was YOUR opinion and means absolutely nothing. You like trying 2 take shots at the MB like you are all knowing. Take shots at this crap organization which hasn't made the playoffs in almost a decade in a half. Most of these posters have been dead 2 rights about the overall direction of these sad teams.
    Darryl's wrong about Sullivan. He knows less than the average BBMB fan, and he steals a lot of his ideas for his columns from stuff he reads here. He's a HACK.

Neither Darryl nor I have defended the Bills organization except against what we both feel are unfounded charges of racism. Why don't you name all the NFL teams that haven't had an African American HC? Most of them, probably.

The Bills had no real chance of getting either Cam Newton or RG III -- or even Andrew Luck. They were interested in Russell Wilson, though, because they had him in for a pre-draft interview.
    Should have kept Marshawn ... and Andy ... Jairus ...

Buffalo Bills, 2000-????: same trailer, different park.
    1999 ... 11-5, playoff loss
    2000 .... 8-8
    2001 .... 3-13
    2002 .... 8-8
    2003 ... 6-10
    2004 ... 9-7
    2005 ... 5-11
    2006 ... 7-9
    2007 ...
    7-9
    2008 ... 7-9
    2009 ... 6-10
    2010 ... 4-12
    2011 ...
    6-10
    2012 ... 6-10
    2013 ... 6-10

I,like 90% of the fans on this board wanted Jauron AND Fewell as far away from OBD as possible and asap. We didn't know who was in charge of that cream puff defense so they were both guilty. I saw a stat here somewhere...probably earlier in this thread...stating the Bills had the #2 pass D in one of those DJ years...huh!! ...all I remember is a D that got gashed constantly by just about any 4-8 yd pattern that turned into 10-15 more times than not. Ya the Bills were opportunistic...they did cause some turn overs and had a few games with gaudy takeaway numbers, but they didn't make up for the short comings. Couldn't stop the run. Got systematically marched on between the 20 yard lines like they were a pee wee team. It was awful to watch....

Meet the new boss...same as the old boss. Sigh.
    Boston Red Sox..2013 World Series Champions!!

President of the Yankee Haters Club of Northern New England

Quote Originally Posted by pot_dragon View Post
    Remember when he was our D coordinator, then got our team fired up and led a late season rejuvenation as interim HC.....then was given a token HC interview then promptly told to GTFO. Gee, he went on to really suck as the Giants D coordinator, and our team defense improved incredibly. Thank goodness we pulled that move off.
    He was 3-4 here if you call that a late season rejuvenation then ok. He would just be another long line of sucky head coaches, nothing more. I liked his fire and passion but thats still not enough.