Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Even IF Chan were fired, would anyone of significance want the gig?

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Bucky Phillips is the man for the job.

Coaching salaries are a line item budget that is not dictated by a CBA. They talked a good game last time, but bottom line wouldn't pay for a top coach and a new staff. Funny, how many asst. coaches were retained because they didn't want to buy out their contracts.

Players salarie have to be spent due to the CBA. Throw a big name in once in a while to sell tickets. I do give them credit for retaining Stevie, Freddy and Kyle, but they have to spend near the cap.

The culprits are the money people at OBD. They are probably compensated through bonus incentives from bringing in a season under budget.

I am sure someone from the past or a coach on this current roster would love to be promoted... Ralph would love it because he "knows" them all...

Kirk Ferentz might have worn out his welcome in Iowa City.

No coach of any significance is going to come here with clowns like Ralph Wilson and Russ Brandon in charge.

This franchise a stench of ineptitude with those two guys here, it only goes away when they are gone.

If the team isn't sold between now and the draft, I don't want buddy NIX to draft a QB, he'll pick the wrong one for sure.

Wait until we have a capable owner & GM combo to actually start the proper rebuilding.

Billick

Maybe Brian Billick, but that is about it! And their is a reason no organization has wanted anything to do with him, (i.e. his ego as an offensive genius) He was an offensive genius with Randy Moss, Chris Carter, Jake Reed, and Antonio Smith, an offensive egotist in 9 year in Baltimore!

But other than that their is a reason Coordinators turn the Bills down. Like Brian Shotenhiemer, it's not like he was that highly regarded, and his own job safe, and he turned down an interview with one of only 32 teams. That is the thing their are only 32 employers in the NFL, you would think they would jump at any opportunity since they may not get another chance, and he said, uh no thanks, I'll take my chances with Mark Sanchez, and Woody Johnson!
    Last edited by Lysander78; 11-06-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlewis16 View Post
    I would love to have Billick come here. I would prefer Gruden or Marty Schottenheimer
    Wow, more retread coaches. Talk about One Bills Drive thinking at its finest.

With the talent that we now have on the roster, I bet someone like Harbaugh could come in here with a new QB and mop up. I could be wrong, but I think it's more coaching than talent. I just don't think some of these guys are all that bad. Look at the change on D in 1 year in Houston when Wade came in. Some guy might come in here determined to get Mario and Marcell fired up along with Kyle and Mark Anderson. We still obviously need help at QB, CB, LB & WR and some S depth.
    2013 Adopt-a-Bill: Stephon Gilmore

Well, the Bills could put the offensive coordinator in play. Give Curtis modkins the calls. How bad can it be.
    Let him call the game, Chan cannot do it.

Quote Originally Posted by superbowl View Post
    Bucky Phillips is the man for the job.
    He's the only one that would take it, then after a couple weeks he'd bolt for the hills!
    Adopt a Bill: Nigel Bradham

i'll take Rob Ryan or Fewell....These two are about due for a head coaching job.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshawn-2-the-housee View Post
    yes im sure with the cast of talent we now have coaches would be interested. And they would draft a guy in the 1st rd. (QB)

There were three main issues that caused problems in getting guys last time:

1) Unsureness about the future. Nobody wants to take a job when you're not sure who the owner will be one, two, three or four years from now, and thus not sure who the GM will be and thus not be sure who the coach will be. This hasn't changed. The fact that Ralph has appeared so little lately means it's even a bigger concern than it was last time.

2) No franchise QB and not top two or three pick to get the best talent that year. Even worse of a problem now, as we're likely to be drafting in the mid-teens. Still a massive problem.

3) Little talent. This has improved quite a bit, but it was always the least important variable. Any confident solid coach will think he can coach up decent players and over three or four years bring in a bunch of new good players. It's improved, but it never was a big variable.

There would be very little interest in this position among the highest level candidates.

The exception might be Marty Schottenheimer, who would be a terrific coach, but who Ralph turned down last time.

My pick would be Mike McCoy. He managed to make the Broncos offense work with Orton, Tebow, and Manning. Three very different quarterbacks. This shows me he is very flexible and has what it takes to turn whatever offense we have next year into a possible top 10 offense.
    “The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.” -William Ward

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateRules View Post
    They talked a good game last time, but bottom line wouldn't pay for a top coach and a new staff. Funny, how many asst. coaches were retained because they didn't want to buy out their contracts.
    Every single Jauron assistant besides George Catavalos was let go...
    Time to scuttle the no-huddle.

Quote Originally Posted by intimidatortj View Post
    You make a very valid point, which I have made in the past.

Filling any of the coaching positions in Buffalo is a major challenge. This should not be underestimated.
    If Shanahan, Jim Harbaugh, the Chin, Gruden, Russ Grimm etc all passed on the opportunity to even interview in Buffalo. Who do you REALISTICALLY think will take a position with the Buffalo Bills?

When you dream of going on vacation, do you think about the Bahamas or Gary, Indiana?
    Sadly, that seems to be an appropriate comparison. Though I guess a followup question could be, can we do even worse than Gailey/Wanny if they are let go? Could we sink even further into the abyss ala KC and Cleveland?
    Last edited by 54 Schpiely; 11-06-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    I am not a number, I am a free robot.

Quote Originally Posted by BUFF BANDIT View Post
    you are the biggest nuthugging,clueless poster on this board !!!

Quote Originally Posted by squirm34 View Post
    He's the only one that would take it, then after a couple weeks he'd bolt for the hills!
    Thank God someone finally got my humor

Maybe the little midget trainer can give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by MoormanRules8 View Post
    That's inaccurate. Jim Harbaugh, Mike Shanahan, Bill Cowher, Brian Schottenheimer all said no to Buffalo the last time around. Harbaugh and Schottenheimer declined to even come in for an interview. Shanny ran to Washington saying the team was too dysfunctional looking for an HC without having a GM in place already. The team didn't even contact coaches who openly admitted being interested such as Gruden and Marty Schottenheimer. The team is a tire fire.

Yes there are only 32 teams, but even the best prospect HCs see the writing on the wall that the organization is run worse than the NHL is run. If they are a top prospect HC, they don't want to come to Buffalo and fail. If they are a formerly successful HC who is out of a job right now they want a chance for a SB, not a chance for extending the longest playoff drought in history. The only people the Bills can attract are retreads like Gailey and Wanny.

I am a Nix fan, I think he has done a good job, but I honestly think if they Bills want to seriously be a contender they need to force Nix to retire, let Whaley take over and run things without Ralph's input, fire the coaches and bring in a guy like Chip Kelly at all costs. Change the mentality from top to bottom. Doug Whaley was part of a winner with the Steelers for a long time, it's his time to shine. Let him bring in a young coach with fire in his belly. I don't think Chip Kelly or any other coach would want to work under Nix with how obvious it is that he is at the end of his tenure and takes cues from Ralph still.

None of this will happen so the discussion is merely academic, but that's still the only shot we would have.
    1 Correction, Gruden also turned down an interview. Thank god he was insane!

Ilike Andy Reid as head coach and Singletary as defense