Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nix - We will draft a QB this year

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Quote Originally Posted by Billsnation2010 View Post
    How in the world is Dalton better than Fitz? Because he made a playoffs last year as a wildcard as a rookie? He has the same noodle arm that Fitz has, if not for selecting AJ Green in rd 1 who takes 2 yard passes and turns them into 70 yard TD's than this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Andy Daltons Stats this season- 285 attempts, 182 completions, 63.9 completion percentage, 2,130 passing yards, 7.00 yards per average, 59 yards/longest TD pass, 14 TD's, 11 INTS, 86.7 QB rating- he is 12th in the league overall passing - ESPN

Ryan Fitz' stats this season- 256 attempts, 158 Completions, 61.7 completion percentage, 1,674 passing yards, 6.54 yards per average, 68 yards/longest TD pass, 15 TD's, 9 INTS, 85.6 QB rating- he is 15th in the league in overall passing- ESPN

If you switch Stevie Johnson with AJ Green Fitz may be even cracking the top 10 because he excels in the short passing game and lets face it even in Green's short year he is light years ahead of Johnson as far as talent goes. Again I am not pro Fitz or anti Fitz but if Andy Dalton is in this exact offense we are right where we are now only we have to stick with Dalton for another couple of years. If we want to be different we either draft an AJ Green who can take short passes to the house or you pick up a QB with an absolute rocket arm like Mike Glennon of NC St. of Zac Dysert of Miami of Ohio and hope they develop.

Also how would you know if they didn't contact St louis about acquiring RG3? The Redskins had a higher pick than us last year and they also gave them the next 2 years of 1st round picks... We have the opportunity to land a franchise QB without giving up a pick at all and still could have our RG3 or Luck, just because so called guru's say there isn't any top talent does not mean there isn't, just sayin!
    here's a telling stat-Fitz has attempted 19 passes over 20 yards and has completed only 4 of them. Yeah, I'd take Dalton's arm over his.....I would have given up 3 first round picks for RGIII-we'd have a franchise QB for the next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeAndy View Post
    The fact Nix has come out twice now and said this makes me very, very happy.
    You're happy now in two years you'll be angry again when we are in the same mess .....no QB is winning with our defense let alone a rookie.....

Quote Originally Posted by Thurmanator3434 View Post
    Fitz is not better than Locker, Dalton or Ponder...not even close. Take into consideration where they are in their careers compared to Fitz (1st and 2nd year vs 8th). Locker has shown crazy potential and ability, just got hurt. Dalton and AJ Green look great together, while Ponder has shown flashes. I would say Blaine Gabbert has potential, and might benefit from the right people around him.
    QBS can show all the potential they want that doesn't mean a thing it's about wins and loses and how they control the game.....some of those guys might not make it in the NFL for 8 years

Quote Originally Posted by intimidatortj View Post
    Ryan Tannehill is showing even more potential that Blaine Gabbert. The point is a 7th rounder from Harvard is most likely not going to have as high a ceiling as a 1st round draft pick.
    Agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuboirs View Post
    You're happy now in two years you'll be angry again when we are in the same mess .....no QB is winning with our defense let alone a rookie.....
    rookie=hope. there is no hope with Fitz.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7975 View Post
    You would be talking about all of them the same way that you all talk about Fitz at this point.
    No....I have been impressed with Locker since college, and he has played some great games. I think he has all the potential in the world.

Dalton has proven he can play...Ponder I may be a little more critical over.

Personally, every Sunday I root for Fitz and hope he has a monster game and becomes the franchise QB Buffalo paid him to be...but he has let us down almost every time, and nothing he has done has suggested he will turn it around. Difference is the other guys are early 20s, and in their first few years...so I think we all could be patient and supportive, Fitz is an 8 year vet who makes rookie mistakes and has no arm.

According to Buddy's direct quotes in the Buffalo News, he is not in love with the 1st round QBs and he isn't ruling out drafting a QB later in the draft. So, what are the odds of finding a "franchise QB" in the 2nd round of the draft?

2011 Andy Dalton
    2010 Jimmy Clausen
    2009 Pat White
    2008 Brian Brohm, Chad Henne
    2007 Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton
    2006 Kellen Clemens, Tarvaris Jackson
    2001 Drew Brees, Quincy Carter, Marques Tuiasosopo
    1999 Shaun King
    1998 Charlie Batch
    1997 Jake Plummer
    1996 Tony Banks
    1995 Todd Collins, Kordell Stewart
    1992 Matt Blundin, Tony Sacca

Answer: You have about a 20 to 1 shot of finding an elite QB in the 2nd round.
    You can argue how many QBS in the first round have ever won a Super Bowl as well .....what's the ratio

You can argue how many QBS in the first round have ever won a Super Bowl as well .....what's the ratio
    First round QBs are approximately a 50/50 shot of being decent. So, yes 50% of 1st round draft pick QBs wash out. Still those odds are better than the 2nd round.....by a LOT.

And now with the new CBA salary structure, teams can pop on QBs in the Top 10 that they would have never taken a chance on. So the leftovers in the 2nd might go to a 30 to 1 shot.

Your headline:

Quote Originally Posted by TheNittanyLion View Post
    Nix - We will draft a QB this year

What Nix said in the article you link and quote from:

Quote Originally Posted by TheNittanyLion View Post
    Buddy Nix went to great lengths to explain the need for a long-term answer at quarterback, saying he needed to find the answer this offseason. ...

During a regular segment on WGR, Nix said he wanted to draft a quarterback in April.

“Let me be as honest as I can,” Nix said, via Tim Graham of the Buffalo News. “I think we really need to address it this year. The thing we can’t do is you can’t create one. You can’t go out, thinking ‘I’ve got to make this guy a player.’ If you do, then you’re going to be in a bigger mess. We don’t want to do that. We try to guard against that.

“But we do need another one, and we need to do it this time.”

He said we need one and we want one. He didn't say we will draft one this year.

According to Buddy's direct quotes in the Buffalo News, he is not in love with the 1st round QBs and he isn't ruling out drafting a QB later in the draft. So, what are the odds of finding a "franchise QB" in the 2nd round of the draft?

2011 Andy Dalton
    2010 Jimmy Clausen
    2009 Pat White
    2008 Brian Brohm, Chad Henne
    2007 Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton
    2006 Kellen Clemens, Tarvaris Jackson
    2001 Drew Brees, Quincy Carter, Marques Tuiasosopo
    1999 Shaun King
    1998 Charlie Batch
    1997 Jake Plummer
    1996 Tony Banks
    1995 Todd Collins, Kordell Stewart
    1992 Matt Blundin, Tony Sacca

Answer: You have about a 20 to 1 shot of finding an elite QB in the 2nd round.

Any particular reason you started your survey in 1992? Wouldn't be because Favre was drafted in the 2nd in 1991, would it?

I agree, though, with your main thesis, as bad as the odds are in the first, they're a lot worse later.

However, Schaub, Brees, Brady and maybe Romo are franchise QBs who came after the first. Favre and Kurt Warner too. Dalton looks like he's headed in that direction. Like you, I want us to grab one in the first. But if there simply isn't anyone there they believe in, that shouldn't stop us from grabbing someone a bit later.

He was arguing that none of those guys outside of Brees and possibly Dalton some day, are elite QBs, never mind Super Bowl winners.

only in Buffalo do people argue about the need for a real QB who can actually throw the ball down the field. I swear....

It's like Stockholm Syndrome on these boards
    Find a way to get Clowney or Mack!

Quote Originally Posted by Jm2009 View Post
    here's a telling stat-Fitz has attempted 19 passes over 20 yards and has completed only 4 of them. Yeah, I'd take Dalton's arm over his.....I would have given up 3 first round picks for RGIII-we'd have a franchise QB for the next decade.
    Like I said if we have Dalton in this offense I believe we are in the exact same boat, since his arm is in the same category. Regardless, I do think we need a QB for the future but I want him to have a great long ball who can hit all the passes, whether that is Tyler Wilson, EJ Manuel, Mike Glennon , Zac Dysert or someone else we still need one with a different skill set than the Fitz', Dalton types.