Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bills GM Buddy Nix reiterated that he plans to draft a franchise quarterback in 2013.

Default Bills GM Buddy Nix reiterated that he plans to draft a franchise quarterback in 2013.

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

so now they see we have wasted 14 years of drafts

If I were the Bills' GM... MY FIRST PICK would be a QB! If I have to trade up, then that's what I would do. Heck, I might pick QB in the first, then the next year pick one in the second and the next year in the third... by then you know if your first has worked... and if not, I go right back to QB in the first (if I'm still around).

We have been looking for a QB for the better part of a decade... we drafted Collins to be the replacement for Kelly and we drafted JP. Those have been the only two legitimate 1st round, franchise-type QBs we have taken a run at. If I'm Nix... I would have done this ALREADY, but certainly this year!
    Hopelessly devastated Bills fan.

I hate the statement "We will draft a franchise QB next year". It is really "We will draft a QB and hope he can become a franchise QB". It comes across like next year we will draft a QB the caliber of Brady/Manning/Rogers etc. Most of the time you miss so there will likely be many more years of pain in our futures watching this team since there is no one on the roster who has the capability of being a franchise QB. I mean they just figured this out this year? what a joke

Quote Originally Posted by cdub_bills_12 View Post
    If I were the Bills' GM... MY FIRST PICK would be a QB! If I have to trade up, then that's what I would do. Heck, I might pick QB in the first, then the next year pick one in the second and the next year in the third... by then you know if your first has worked... and if not, I go right back to QB in the first (if I'm still around).

We have been looking for a QB for the better part of a decade... we drafted Collins to be the replacement for Kelly and we drafted JP. Those have been the only two legitimate 1st round, franchise-type QBs we have taken a run at. If I'm Nix... I would have done this ALREADY, but certainly this year!
    Moreover, I would draft QB's high until I had a true franchise QB. The Redskins showed how its done IMO. With the new CBA, you can now trade up and get that guy if you have the balls.

Quote Originally Posted by billsfan123 View Post
    Disagree. I like that Nix has built the other parts of the team first. Then you get your QB. (or try to).

stir the pot

Nix better draft one good enough to start right away because nobody is going to buy tickets next season if the Fitz is still the starter.

As long as we get a QB that can give us a direction into how to build the team. Right now with Fitz they are plugging up spots but have no direction into where they want to go b.c we don't have a QB to build around.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeine addict View Post
    Disagree. I like that Nix has built the other parts of the team first. Then you get your QB. (or try to).

Nix hasn't done anything but botch all of his drafts so far. What other parts of the team did he fix???? They still have the WORST defense in the NFL. The Bills have so many holes to fill it can't be done in one or two more years. It will take at least 3 more years before this team is competitive. QB, WR, 2 DBs, DL, and at least 2 more linebackers. You can't fill all those needs in one or two drafts.

Todd Collins, then 1st for Rob Johnson, then 1st for Drew Bledsoe, draft JP Losman....

They made bad choices.

Bills GM Buddy Nix reiterated that he plans to draft a franchise quarterback in 2013.
    Wait, Buddy said - again, apparently - that he "plans" to draft a franchise QB in 2013?

I would like to see a link to him saying exactly this once, much less twice. I think you're greatly twisting what he said.

Prove me wrong. Let's see a link.

... so now they see we have wasted 14 years of drafts

... even assuming that Buddy said exactly what you said he did, this just doesn't follow.

Don't get me wrong, I never thought Fitz was the best choice, and though I hoped he'd grow into the job, it seems increasingly obvious that he hasn't and probably never will. I'd love getting a QB this year, provided we get a very good one, obviously.

But I don't believe Buddy ever said that, nor that if he did that it means what you say he did. As the defense learns the system and how to play together, this team could be pretty decent, and if we ever do get a QB, having a solid team, with a few gaps left obviously, to put around that QB won't have been a waste.

Yeah, I wish they'd picked one up over the last two or three years, particularly Clausen, McCoy, Ponder, Dalton, Kaepernick, Stanzi, Weeden, Osweiler, Cousins, Wilson or trading up for Tannehill. I don't know who but I believe there are probably three to six franchise QBs in that group and maybe even one or two in the top eight or ten in the league. And yeah, I still think it's possible, though perhaps not likely, that Clausen could be one of them. That doesn't prove that what we did was wasted, though.
    Last edited by Thurman#1; 11-09-2012 at 10:43 AM.

And it doesn't work. You build around the QB offense and defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurman#1 View Post
    Wait, Buddy said - again, apparently - that he "plans" to draft a franchise QB in 2013?

I would like to see a link to him saying exactly this once, much less twice. I think you're greatly twisting what he said.

... even assuming that Buddy said exactly what you said he did, this just doesn't follow.
    WGR Audio Vault. Look for yourself.
    The Future...

EJ Manuel

here is an article, but he doesn't say he wants to draft a franchise qb
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-qb-this-year/

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/...an-fitzpatrick

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post

Nix hasn't done anything but botch all of his drafts so far. What other parts of the team did he fix???? They still have the WORST defense in the NFL. The Bills have so many holes to fill it can't be done in one or two more years. It will take at least 3 more years before this team is competitive. QB, WR, 2 DBs, DL, and at least 2 more linebackers. You can't fill all those needs in one or two drafts.
    False: You are buying a myth. Buddy has made a few mistakes in the draft... but people around here expect to find 4-5 starters in each draft class... it doesn't work that way! 1-2 is the norm... 3-4 in a few years (perhaps). Our defense is bad... but a large part of that, to me is the system and the coaching.

Buddy has improved his drafting ability each year... I'm 100% ok with him drafting our next QB.
    Hopelessly devastated Bills fan.

He also said it doesn't mean that he will use his first pick to get one.It depends on how they grade out.One statement where he said there doesn't appear to be a Luck,RG3,or Cam in this draft.

The Bills squandered away an excellent oppurtunity to get the best quarterback to come out of college since John Elway. They should have lost every game last season and entered the Andrew Luck Sweepstakes. Indy intentionally lost games to get him because they knew how important a great quarterback is to winnig a super bowl. They were losing Peyton Manning who had a decade of great seasons. They knew if they drafted Luck he was their next Peyton. Smart move on their part. It won't be long before Indy is back in the hunt as a playoff contender. It all starts with a great quarterback. Look at the teams that have been in the superbowls lately. The Giants with Eli Manning, N.O. with Drew Brees, the Packers with Arron Rodgers, the Pats with Tom Brady. If you want to win the big game, you need a big time quarterback to carry the team.
    What good did it do the Bills to win 6 games? No playoffs, no respect, and more importantly, NO TOP DRAFT PICK! Luck and RJ3 are not in Buffalo.

get out the shovels boys and girls, the $hit is getting deep or nix just knows that he has failed thus far as a GM !

I wonder who he sees in the draft as a franchise caliber qb. The entire qb class looks weak to me, outside of Geno Smith (who might only be a 1st round candidate, not for certain about top 10 just yet).
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1237006_417793431666201_616460147_n.jpg
    14 years. Our Playoff drought has entered puberty.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWien View Post
    I wonder who he sees in the draft as a franchise caliber qb. The entire qb class looks weak to me, outside of Geno Smith (who might only be a 1st round candidate, not for certain about top 10 just yet).
    I use to like Matt Barley but im not so sure about him anymore. I would trade for Nick Foles or Mike Vick