Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buddy Nix's first 3 picks in his first 3 drafts

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeAndy View Post
    This thread just proves how many clueless idiots there are on this message board.
    and yet missing the playoffs for 13 straight years doesn't show that OBD are the ones who are clueless...this regime having the worse record by far.

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeAndy View Post
    He was lights out last week.
    Yeah, Dareus has had an up and down year. No reason for people to call him a bust, its actually hilarious. These same people want to draft a QB. After that rookie QB puts up much worse numbers than Fitz they will call him a bust as well. I doubt they will have any patience, Bills fans didnt with Losman.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBills4Life View Post
    Shep and Carrington were great picks for a 3-4 defense,
    That is the biggest issue I have with Nix. He was drafting Troup, Carrington, Moats, Danny Batten, Shep, et. al. for a 3 - 4 defense. Then he switched to a 4-3 and a lot of the draft picks are not ideal fits.

I don't favor one defense over the other but just pick one and stay with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BillsMafia#1 View Post
    2010 Spiller, Troup, Carrington

2011 Dareus, Williams, Sheppard

2012 Gilmore, Glenn, Graham

Outta those Nine picks......he hit on two (Spiller, Glenn) jury is still out on 5 (Carrington, Dareus, Gilmore, Graham, Sheppard) missed on two (Troup, Williams)

Doesn't look like building through the draft is working out so well to this point

Do you understand what "the jury is still out" means? It's not negative.

Quote Originally Posted by intimidatortj View Post
    That is the biggest issue I have with Nix. He was drafting Troup, Carrington, Moats, Danny Batten, Shep, et. al. for a 3 - 4 defense. Then he switched to a 4-3 and a lot of the draft picks are not ideal fits.

Completely agree with you on this. Either they shouldn't have switched to a 3-4 in the first place, or they should have stayed with it. One switch or the other was a mistake, a mistake that wasted draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jm2009 View Post
    can pretty much say that except for spiller, the 2010 draft was bad.

You can't, actually. It's a pretty good guess. But there are still real windows of opportunity for Troup, Carrington, Easley and Moats. The odds are pretty decent you're right. But that's what happens when you draft guys for a 3-4 system in the second and third round, and then you switch to the 4-3.

TalleyFan Guest

I like Nix, I think he's a lot better than what we had in along time.

Williams will be a FS in the NFL, as every other NFL team had him slated!

their overall drafting is horrible !

Quote Originally Posted by BUFF BANDIT View Post
    their overall drafting is horrible !
    Tell us why in more than one sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaenon View Post
    Carrington single handedly won us the Arizona game.
    See what I did there?

Also Carrington is the Bills career leader in blocked kicks, no?
    Good point. 2 plays this year trump the previous waste of time on the roster. But the OP is ready to call Williams a bust. Like I said, I know he has been dreadful so far, but he has less than 2 full NFL seasons under his belt.

Everyone is calling Spiller a hit now, which is correct, but at the same point of his career than Williams is at now, a lot of people were calling Spiller a bust.

It just goes to prove the fact, a lot of players need 3 years.
    2014 Adopt a Bill---Chris Williams

Outta those Nine picks......he hit on two (Spiller, Glenn) jury is still out on 5 (Carrington, Dareus, Gilmore, Graham, Sheppard) missed on two (Troup, Williams)

Doesn't look like building through the draft is working out so well to this point

I feel like we should have done better but more in the latter part of the draft. The first year was more Modrak after the first anyway but....this is what I think so far.

Big hits= Spiller and Glenn
    Possible hits(too early to tell)= Dareus and Gilmore
    Too early but looks of potential= Graham

Looking like misses= Sheppard and Williams...........other players were available and seemed like a need at the same time when Williams was picked. Shep made sense as a 34 guy at the time so maybe a pass is in order.

Carrington and Troup have a special status IMO. Carrington was raw and has had to change positions and systems to boot. He has shown some good potential this year when you consider those facts. I think we need to evaluate him next year to give an accurate grade.

Troup hurt his back early on and he tried to play through it too much. Credit to him for that but failure on the training staff for letting him (maybe??). I feel bad for Troup when he gets dubbed as a bust. Players get hurt all the time. Odds say all teams will have some that will not get a real chance because of it. Troup may never be able to play w/ his injury. He shouldn't have any "draft grade" if he doesn't pan out. He would fall under the "unkown" category.

If you look at things from this angle then Nix doesn't seem too bad. There were players that we should have taken regardless I guess, but we haven't had any drafts like 2006 or 2008.

Talk about all time terrible drafts!! However, I get your point, we should have done better.
    2014 draft:

1) J. Matthews / T. Lewan (OT)
    2) ASJ / Troy Niklas (TE)
    3) C. Latimer/D. Moncreif/Jordan Matthews (WR)
    4) E.J. Gaines (CB)
    5) B. Thomas (G/T)
    7) Punter

Quote Originally Posted by intimidatortj View Post

I have no issue with the switch back to a 4-3 because they didnt invest a lot at LB yet, plus scheme wise they really didnt commit to a 3-4. Sheppard was a 3rd round pick, and he was the highest LB drafted by Nix. We cant really expect a 3rd rounder to be our savior at LB. Nix didnt draft any pass rushers high in the draft either, but he signed a couple 4-3 DE's to high contracts.

I fully expect us to draft a LB high in the draft or sign one to a nice sized deal, one that probably fits the 4-3 best.

Spiller was the pick that had everyone scratching their heads initially, now he's arguably the best player on the team.

Most of every other pick, most of everyone believed Nix did a decent job, mostly. Troup and Graham are the only players were the value didn't match up. Troup hasn't been able to stay healthy, and Graham has shown sparks, but hasn't been given the opportunity to show what he is capable of.

Every other pick almost all the experts thought we nailed each pick.

Dareus was considered a can't miss prospect. Gilmore was considered the BPA at the 10th pick. Nix got amazing value with Glenn. The experts and most of the people on here thought we got good value for Sheppard. Williams was projected as an early 2nd round prospect.

The draft is a gamble people. The thing is, Nix probably did exactly what other GM's would have done if they were put in his position. The only questionable thing he's done in my opinion is extending Fitz when he did. Then again you have to remember, Fitz was on fire, other GM's might have pulled the trigger as well.

I know a lot of people on here like to think they are smarter than Nix because hindsight has 20/20 vision. You do have to take into account how these players were viewed coming out.
    Last edited by Ryan42790; 11-10-2012 at 11:21 PM.
    Adopt a Bill 2013
    Robert Woods

Wow man you give the 2011 and 2012 draft a whole lot of time to develop... What a garbage thread this is LOL

I think Dareus was a solid pick, and Gilmore too.

Williams doesn't seem good yet, still young though. Carrington is at least doing well on ST and has two blocks. Shep is alright, and Troup has been injured too much to even know. Graham still too early.