That was one of the most disappointing losses I've ever seen today. At least we play Thursday so it won't sting for too long.
1. What was going on with the officiating in the first half today? A couple of absolutely terrible PI calls, ticky tack holds, just a bunch that made you scream "WHAT?!". This game could have been much different without some of those calls, especially the Gilmore PI in the endzone, that ball was uncatchable and gave the Pats an easy score.
2. Spiller needs to be touching the ball 25+ times per game. He's the fastest guy on the field, the shiftiest guy on the field, and the most explosive guy on the field whenever he's out there. Theres just one problem...he isn't out there enough! Spiller has the potential to be one of the leagues elite playmakers, some of the plays he makes are the definition of making something out of nothing. As one of the announcers said: let him run in 20 times and throw it to him 10 times. I couldn't agree more.
3. The Interception, in my opinion, is on Fitzpatrick. I understand TJ ran the wrong route, he manned up and said that. That doesn't make it better. All we needed was a chunk of yards, not the home run. Pick up a completion, spike the ball, and then make a play. That throw was right into the arms of McCourty, and even if the wrong route was ran, Fitz needs to look elsewhere. The ball should have been in Spillers hands there, he's the playmaker and he was playing out of his mind. NFL QB's don't make that throw. I can't say Fitz had a bad game, he played incredible for 59 minutes, and 1/40 throws shouldn't completely discredit that, but that one throw brought him from a hero to a clown in the eyes of many.
4. Can we please draft some linebackers that can stop the run? Ridley isn't exactly a world beater and we make him look like a perennial pro-bowler. This team needs a guy who can get in there and stuff the run, it seems Sheppard isn't that guy. Has he made a single game altering play his whole career here? Barnett is the only capable LB on this team and until we change that, teams are going to continue to gash us.
5. This team, at least today, showed they have heart. There are no moral victories in the NFL, all that matters is W-L. But today, this team showed a lot of heart on that field. After Fitz got hit by Spikes, he didn't tuck his tail like Brady would do. Fitz got right up in his face and told him off. Thats heart, thats a will to win. After Freddie got blasted and fumbled on the final drive, Spiller was right there with him and got pissed off. He knew the players that hurt him didn't show respect and he wanted to make them pay. Unfortunately, heart won't win you a football game, but I'd rather watch this team go out there and show that pride than lay down like they've been known to do.
Looks like we have to win out. Possible? Yes. Likely? Not at all. But this is the NFL, stranger things have happened. Go Bills!