Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Putting to rest this ridiculous CJ argument

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

You are wrong.

Spiller is the best back in the league right now.

Thats why you invested in Cordy Glenn, Levitre, Wood, Urbik, Hairston - so that you could get some size in the OLine.

Its common sense the more touches he gets his YPC will go down... I think most want him getting more carries is because he can take it for 6 in the blink of an eye. He turns negative yards into big gains. Perfect example was the screen pass yesterday. If Fred was in on that play its a big loss. CJ turns it into a big gain.

Not really u can say he might get stop sometimes getting more carries but think of the 60 yarders he would break with more carries. I see fred run through a huge hole but he too slow and his 10 yd gain would be 20+ for spiller.

Quote Originally Posted by bonnassabres View Post
    Lol then why do they line up in the dime defense and take their linebackers off the field when we put 4 wide with CJ in the backfield? If they know we're going to run, they'd keep more linebackers on the field.
    It's because if they kept their base D with 4 wide, that would be a total mismatch.

With 4 wide, you have less blocking up front. So Spiller has to make the unblocked guys miss and not rely on big holes. That's what makes him special. If it was so easy, then every fast RB would average 6+ ypc.
    SIGNATURE
    Quote Originally Posted by muffman View Post
    Arent you the guy who said the Bills drafted EJ Manuel so they could "sell him in the americas, africa and the middle east?"
    LMAO....
    Quote Originally Posted by TAPITSB View Post
    No I said if he becomes a star he has more international AD ability than Tom Brady. I was talking about how the black athlete is marketed internationally.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAPITSB View Post
    Brady isn't Manuel and as stated the media tends to take a man like Manuel because they can sell him in all of the America's and Africa and the Middle East and not just in the United States.

CJ is the first back in over 50 years to have the YPC average that he has with the amount of carries that he has. Would it go down with more carries? Probably law of averages. But the guy makes things happen. He was still averaging high during the KC and Cleveland games when he was getting more carries.

He is a playmaker

I agree that CJ's YPA would go down if he had more touches. I don't think anyone thinks otherwise, but we do have some special people here on the BBMB.

Saying that, I think CJ is good enough that it really doesn't matter what the opposing D does. They can't stop him, but might hope to slow him down a little bit. He has the kind of talent that is really hard to shut down. He is so elusive and fast that he creates mismatches all day long. If the opposing D has to key in him that hard, that will also open up other opportunities for us. We still have some very good weapons in Johnson, Chandler, Jackson and a few others.

This team has been passing to set up the run since Gailey's been here. That is why many, including myself, felt we were not good enough to run the ball out of obvious running situations. I don't think that is the case this year. Our O line is pretty good, and having an elite RB paired with Fred, who is borderling elite himself, is the strength of this team and it needs to be utilized.

Quote Originally Posted by bonnassabres View Post
    I agree he needs more carries, but simply handing him the ball when defense is playing the run isn't going to change the outcome one bit.
    You kidding me?!?! My Goodness! Whether the defense is expecting or unexpecting the run, Spiller gets it done! He's a homerun everytime he touches the ball. Now Patriots are a bad defense, but even the Texans had a problem with Spiller. Teams are happy Chan isn't giving him the ball 20-25 a game, it makes their job on defense easier. I honestly think your just trying to get people riled up, and don't really believe that. You can't, it's not possible, it's like trying to tell us the sky isn't blue.

Quote Originally Posted by GMBNix View Post
    How many turnovers?
    are you blaming the high Defensive point totals on the Offensive turnovers? Or are you asking who has more turnovers CJ or Fred? I'll answer both questions. The offenseive turnovers have nothing to do with how bad our D is. good D's bail the O's out. Example. Jake Cutler throws a pick. Bears D gets a 3 and out. Our D sucks plain and simple.

As far as CJ and Fred. I dont know how many turnovers each has but i would say they both had huge turnovers this year. CJ in the jets game and last new england game before the half and Freddy in this game.

youre wrong op
    go bills
    go sabres
    go knicks
    go sox

steve johnson is our future star
    Fred jackson is my adopted player this year!!
    freddie freddie!!

The NFL is a league of athletes. You win with incredible athletes making special plays. We keep our best athlete off the field for half the game on offense. And if you think teams don't gameplan for Spiller you are a fool. When he is on the field, he is quite honestly the only player on our entire team that must be accounted for every time he touches the field.

Also, just a stat that helps the argument that he doesn't just do well from defenses playing the pass is that Spiller has the highest yard per carry after contact in the league. In fact his YPC after contact is higher than most running backs yard per carry. Dude is absolutely a stud.
    2012 Adopt a Bill: Ron Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by sechristbmw View Post
    Teams know that the Texans are going to run Arian Foster, teams know that Marshawn Lynch is going to get the ball for the Seahawks, teams knew that the Titans were going to run Chris Johnson - yet they all did it anyways.

Nobody is saying give CJ 35 carries a game.

He needs to be 15-20. Sorry, this offense is better the less Ryan Fitzpatrick is asked to do.
    This. I'm tired of Chan Gailey letting other teams dictate what he is going to do.

Good teams impose their will on other teams. We accommodate their defenses.
    Buffalo Bills. Anaheim Ducks. Los Angeles Lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBillsFan View Post
    Statistics would say that it's fair to assume a regression in numbers as the sample size grows. I don't know if any of the rational posters is arguing that he'd still have 7+ ypc if you gave him that.

With that said, it's inexcusable for him to get SINGLE-DIGIT carries week after week. The four weeks where he had more than ten carries, he produced 12.1, 8.2, 7.3 and 5.8 ypc.

He is being underused, and Chan being afraid of running against SEVEN in the box is embarrassing.
    It maybe fair, but there are exceptions.

CJ Spiller is an exception.
    I just don't give a stink.

Quote Originally Posted by sechristbmw View Post
    Teams know that the Texans are going to run Arian Foster, teams know that Marshawn Lynch is going to get the ball for the Seahawks, teams knew that the Titans were going to run Chris Johnson - yet they all did it anyways.

Nobody is saying give CJ 35 carries a game.

He needs to be 15-20. Sorry, this offense is better the less Ryan Fitzpatrick is asked to do.

i said this in another post gailey has no clue on how to use this team.no way spiller should have only nine carries,the less fitz has to do the better.the way gailey coaches you would think he's trying to open up the run with the passing gm but thats not the case neither one of our backs get the ball enough.let the running gm open up our passing gm i would like to see us in more power formations why do we have a fullback?he rarley gets used if we was a run first team things would be a little easier for our qb.

I agree, CJ Spiller shouldn't be on the field.