Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fix the DEFENSE before you Tweak the OFFENSE!

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Quote Originally Posted by S-K-E-L-A-T-O-R View Post
    This thread is a response to the posters on this message board who believe drafting an elite QB will solve all of our problems.

Fix the DEFENSE before you Tweak the OFFENSE!

That is my message to you. That's been my message this whole season (and last season too). And for that I've gotten flamed many times.

With a top 10 defense this team is at least 7 - 2 right now.

I'm not going to waste my time defending Fitzpatrick or our offensive production anymore. It's not perfect, it's not where it could be, but it's sufficient.

Our defense on the other hand is BROKEN! It's been broken all season. We've lost most of our games, because our defense was horrendous.

I feel that all fans should direct most of their energy, hate, frustration, whatever... towards the defense because that is the unit that is responsible for this season being lost.

Blame in on Wannsteadt, Mario, that-guy-we-drafted-in-the-first-round-last-year (seriously can't remember his name right now, cause he's been worthless all season and I haven't had my coffee yet).

Or maybe blame is on Chan Gailey for not having a clue about defense, and relying too much on his coordinators and assistants.

Whoever you blame this season being a bust on do not blame it on Fitz. The guy is a warrior. He's been one of the few entertaining players to watch.

Yea, Fitz has made some really crappy plays this year, but he's also made some great plays too.

I swear to God it's as if you guys leave the room or don't watch the TV when the Bills don't have the ball. Watch the defense closely and compare them to other defenses around the league.

This defense is the worst I have ever seen. Period.

With that being said I expect this team to be broken up next year. I expect another JP Losman to be drafted next year. I expect a new coach. And I expect another 3 years of failed rebuilding.

And honestly I expect this team to move to Toronto or LA, so I'm getting tired of wasting my energy here.

But when I remember this season, I'll remember the hope I had before the season, and the disappointment of our defense.
    A fun stat to support your post:

The Bills have put up 28+ points in 4 of our 6 losses this year. With even a top 20 defense, our team is either 6-3 or 7-2 beating the patriots twice and the titans this year, and the game against the Jests is a tossup with the bills still having a chance to win even with all the turnovers.

Anybody who thinks the Offense is a bigger problem then the defense can't have watched the games or has no clue what they're talking about. (Most likely the latter considering most of them still think that last pick against NE was Fitz's fault.)

All I'm saying is that when a system is broken. When it doesn't work. When it fails. You fix what is broken before you tweak what needs an adjustment.

It's like your car won't start, and you wanna replace the brake pads before you fix the engine.
    You addressed those that want to draft a QB, when it seems like you're addressing those that want to run our QB out of town this season. That's what I'm confused about.

I would love to see Buffalo draft a top QB in this years draft-Preferably Matt Barkley, trade back into round 1 and pickup a WR- Justin Hunter, Terrance Williams, Tavon Austin, Rashaun Woods, Keenan Allen or De'Andre Hopkins. and have legitimate threats at WR for our new QB to throw the ball to, Draft a LB in round 3 and pick 1 up in F/A.

I'm going to say there is about 30 of these threads that have been made in the last few weeks. We understand, defense is a problem...no one disagrees. Fitz is another. Two separate issues that need to be fixed.
    SIGNATURE
    Quote Originally Posted by muffman View Post
    Arent you the guy who said the Bills drafted EJ Manuel so they could "sell him in the americas, africa and the middle east?"
    LMAO....
    Quote Originally Posted by TAPITSB View Post
    No I said if he becomes a star he has more international AD ability than Tom Brady. I was talking about how the black athlete is marketed internationally.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAPITSB View Post
    Brady isn't Manuel and as stated the media tends to take a man like Manuel because they can sell him in all of the America's and Africa and the Middle East and not just in the United States.

IF you get a shot at a QB in the draft you think is special that automatically takes priority over everything else IMO. Even if the defense is a bigger issue.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenWheels View Post
    IF you get a shot at a QB in the draft you think is special that automatically takes priority over everything else IMO. Even if the defense is a bigger issue.
    so you have manti teo and all the qbs available who do you take???

Quote Originally Posted by Cuboirs View Post
    and when we end up with the next jp losman what will u say then???????
    HEY GMBNix; you didnt answer my question?

Defense wins Championships but QBs build dynasties..... Go QB in the 1st, 3rd, and 6th rounds to be sure we get a franchise guy.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaGatorsBuffaloBills View Post
    The defense made enough stops in both the Titans and Pats games but the offense couldn't convert when they had to. Fitz just isn't a good quarterback late in the games with the game on the line and in the NFL if you don't have a quarterback who can win those types games then you don't stand much of a chance in this league. If Fitz is smarter with the ball in those two games, we are likely 5-4 right now and in the middle of the playoff hunt.
    They gave up 37 points to the pats and (what was it?) 35 points to the titans. Are you serious? I'm not gonna stand here on my soapbox and defend Fitz, but I will stand here on my soapbox and absolutely slam this defense. It's the worst I've ever seen in my years watching football. They are shockingly bad. And what is worse, I'm not sure why.

For the record it is very sad that this message board has come down to us arguing about which part of our team sucks more: the quarter back or the entire defense. Thanks Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Thurman#1 View Post
    More like you don't like how your new car is running so rather than break it in, you go buy a new one. The defense is extremely new. Not the offense.
    Haha! It is time for a new car, and that's why I'm getting ready for a complete team overhaul with new coach, new QB, etc...

Now if only Mr. Wilson could stop his history of buying Volkswagon's, and buy us a Mercedes Benz, than we'd be all set.
    J-O-H-N-N-Y-F-O-O-T-B-A-L-L

HEY GMBNix; you didnt answer my question?
    Your what if question? If you don't even try for a QB then you never will have a chance to succeed. Not grabbing a QB b.c you are afraid is not the answer. Why is it other teams are not afraid to grab one? B.c they know you need to get a QB.

Your logic is b.c you think every QB is JP?

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaGatorsBuffaloBills View Post
    The defense made enough stops in both the Titans and Pats games but the offense couldn't convert when they had to. Fitz just isn't a good quarterback late in the games with the game on the line and in the NFL if you don't have a quarterback who can win those types games then you don't stand much of a chance in this league. If Fitz is smarter with the ball in those two games, we are likely 5-4 right now and in the middle of the playoff hunt.

Really? when your offense scores 31 points you should win the game, this defense couldnt stop a noze bleed right now, its last in every statistic in the nfl on defense, any human being with two eyeballs that watch's the game and makes a rediculous commant as yours shouldnt post on here. Fitz isnt the QB we want, that i agree with, but to say he is the reason we are 3-6 is not true. When your offense is playing catch up in every game your game plan changes, the more a nfl QB throws the more chances of a pick. The defense put us in those positions in the 4th qtr, not fitz. Your right fitz isnt a good QB late in the fourth, but if we had a mid tier defense we wouldnt have to rely on him to win it for us.

FACT IS there are 31 nfl teams that have so called franchise qbs and 1st rounders that wont win it this year!

$$$$$ It takes more than a QB $$$$$

Yea you can't really answer a rhetorical question. I guess if we draft another Losman he'll eat crow like everyone else on this message board has at one time or another.

I'm eating a helluva lot of crow this season, because of how much I bragged about the potential of our defense this year.

I can't believe I thought this Defense could possibly be the best in the league.
    J-O-H-N-N-Y-F-O-O-T-B-A-L-L

Quote Originally Posted by Thurman#1 View Post
    The defense is almost certainly going to get better with time. They're young, in their first year in a new system and more than half the starters are new to the team or first or second year players. Whereas the offense is playing near their peak. They've been in the system for three years now. They're not likely to get much better until they get a QB who will throw far fewer INTs and can throw long and consistently to back up the safeties and open things up underneath.

QB is our first priority. There can be no question about it.

Not that we don't need LBs bad. We do. We just need a QB more. QBs almost always take a long time to get good. LBs can improve the defense very quickly.

spot on! QB is a must

Yea you can't really answer a rhetorical question. I guess if we draft another Losman he'll eat crow like everyone else on this message board has at one time or another.

I'm eating a helluva lot of crow this season, because of how much I bragged about the potential of our defense this year.

I can't believe I thought this Defense could possibly be the best in the league.
    I'm right there with you. I expected this defense to be chasing qbs around the back field all game, and to be getting more picks as a result of it. Have you tried your crow with BBQ sauce? Its not bad that way.

I don't know if any of them are special. That's up to the coaches.

But what I said is the nature of the QB position in today's NFL.

if your QB is their and you think he is it for the next 10yrs, QB without even blinking!!!

FACT IS there are 31 nfl teams that have so called franchise qbs and 1st rounders that wont win it this year!

$$$$$ It takes more than a QB $$$$$
    But it all starts with a QB... get it through your head.

Just b.c you think every QB every year is JP Losman means nothing.