Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm glad we won, but Gailey is a terrible coach.

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

I'm generally fairly meh when it comes to chan. Sometimes his play calls are brilliant, sometimes....welll not so much. But his 3rd down calls last night were brutal. Why did he keep going deep on 3rd and 1 and 3rd and 2? Why not just give it to spiller? And that choice wildcat.....not sure what he was thinking. Choice isn't really a running threat when a QB is at leas taking some heat off of him...why would they give it directly to him. That being said, I hope he puts fred jackson in choices role when he comes back instead of splitting carries. Spiller is just looking way too good to limit....

As for adjustments, chan actually did make some at halftime. He started running the ball more, and taking less risks. Basically said "Our defense is on fire, let's just not make it difficult on them with a turnover. Simple clock burning risk free offense. Isn't this what we all ask for when we have the lead? (But again STOP GOING DEEP WITH FITZ ON THIRD FREAKING DOWN!!!!! AT LEAST DO IT ON SECOND AND SHORT AND TRY TO ACTUALLY CONVERT YOUR THIRDS!!!! UGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)

Quote Originally Posted by Nateball View Post
    The defense won this game with it's best performance of the season thus far by a long shot.

I'm glad every time the Bills win, and I find myself involuntarily screaming and jumping up and down in my living room when I see McKelvin returning a punt for a touchdown, or our defense making two late interceptions to ice the game.

I'm glad CJ Spiller got to showcase his talent on the national level, he truly is an elite playmaker, and I won't be surprised at all to see him in the Pro Bowl.

What disheartens me is that in a little less than a week and a half, Chan Gailey will bench CJ Spiller, and use him as a backup, and as a decoy wide receiver. Chan Gailey = fail.

At first, two and a half seasons ago, when Gailey came along with his college spread offense that methodically dinked and dunked the ball down the field and scored lots of points, it was fun, as it was a change of pace from Jauron's unimaginative run on first down, run on second down, throw on third and long, punt. Now, Gailey's empty sets simply don't work: they don't fool anybody, and they no longer take anybody by surprise. The only teams that run empty sets successfully are teams with elite level quarterbacks like New England. I can't recall how many times this season I've screamed at my TV because Gailey lined the offense up in an empty set, knowing darn well all the opposing defense had to do was send one extra guy to pressure Fitzpatrick and the play would be blown up, or drop eight into coverage, leaving Fitzpatrick with no one to throw to. You can see it before he even snaps the ball: Spiller's alone with Fitzpatrick in the backfield, motions out wide, empty set, then I scream at my TV "WHAT THE ****?" And sure enough, it's a sack, or a terribly thrown ball by Fitzpatrick for an interception because Fitzpatrick was hurried because there was no one in the backfield to block for him, or he simply had no where to go with the ball because everyone was covered. THE EMPTY SET IS SIMPLY NOT WORKING. Chan Gailey = fail. You would think that after repeated attempts at something that has proven time and time again over the course of multiple seasons NOT to work, you would change your gameplan, and simply not run that scheme...but why does Chan Gailey run empty sets ALL THE TIME? Yes, Fitzpatrick is a terrible quarterback, but how many quarterbacks other than Brady and Peyton Manning could consistently line up in the empty set on every down and move the ball down the field? Chan Gailey = fail.

This isn't college. Defenders are smarter, bigger, and faster. They are being paid millions of dollars. They're not tricked by empty sets and three yard drag routes. Chan Gailey = fail.

I have a great jump shot, but I completely suck at the up and under layup. I've tried my entire life to get better at it, I just can't pull it off; I don't have the coordination to do it, so I don't. I shoot jump shots. If something has proven NOT to work, why would you keep going back to it? ESPECIALLY in key situations. Chan Gailey = fail.

Second and long and we throw the two yard drag route, setting up third and long? And on third down we throw short? Chan Gailey = fail.

Again, I'm happy we won, but it certainly wasn't because of Chan Gailey's scheme. Get this guy out of Buffalo.
    Let me simplify this for you. Gailey hasn't done a great job at times of calling plays, but it's the quarterback that's stalling this offense. He simply have lost him arm, confidence, or something and I wonder how much of that is coach Lee and how much of that is Gailey telling him that "safe and steady" is the way to go.

You take last nights game plan and swap out any mid tier or better QB and they score more points. When I see a stat line where Stevie doesn't break 100 yard receiving but has 6 catches. While that's not a bad YPC, where are the 9 to 13 catches?
    How do I loathe Jon Bon Jovi, let me count the ways ....
    1. He wants to buy into the team and move it to Toronto, leaving THREE NFL Franchises in Florida and ZERO in New York.
    2. He's a Jets fan.
    3. He's friends with Bill Belichick.

Seriously, why doesn't the league just kick us all where it counts and take a 15 yard penalty for taunting if they let Jon Bon Jovi and his highlights buy into our team.

In 1987, Jon was all about Tommy and Gina. In 2014, Jon's all about Claude and Anais.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan42790 View Post
    He didn't want to use C.J. as a blocker on 3rd down passing plays. I don't know if it's because he doesn't want Spiller to get hurt, or he just doesn't think he's a good blocker. This is were having Freddie on the team is crucial. Freddie is one of the best blocking RB's in the league.

Now in terms of 3rd and short situations I do agree. Chan likes to get cute way too much. I've said this before but Gailey sometimes doesn't get the fact that football is also a physical game, not just a mental one. He thinks of football like playing chess, which I do like, but he also doesn't trust his players physical capabilities, and that's when he falters.
    CJ is an average blocker with a small frame. That combination gets QBs killed.

Let's implement the Dolphins offensive scheme immediately.

What I saw in the play calling was a lack of adjustment in the second half. How many times do you run the shotgun draw play? During the second half that play had little effect. I was hoping for some more play action pass calling but didn't get it. I'm no coach but I just feel like the offensive playcalling could have used some tweaking. It might have kept the dolphins on their toes a bit more. I'm happy for the win and wasn't totally satisfied until that second interception to seal the win.

His play calls are mind boggling sometimes. Fitz going under center with 15 secs left and no timeouts on the 4yd line. The empty sets on 3rd and 1 all night. Thank god for the defense and nolan carrol.

Quote Originally Posted by jcmccall View Post
    Let me simplify this for you. Gailey hasn't done a great job at times of calling plays, but it's the quarterback that's stalling this offense. He simply have lost him arm, confidence, or something and I wonder how much of that is coach Lee and how much of that is Gailey telling him that "safe and steady" is the way to go.

You take last nights game plan and swap out any mid tier or better QB and they score more points. When I see a stat line where Stevie doesn't break 100 yard receiving but has 6 catches. While that's not a bad YPC, where are the 9 to 13 catches?
    You simplified to the point of being completely short sighted.

Quote Originally Posted by BillsVaFan View Post
    What I saw in the play calling was a lack of adjustment in the second half. How many times do you run the shotgun draw play? During the second half that play had little effect. I was hoping for some more play action pass calling but didn't get it. I'm no coach but I just feel like the offensive playcalling could have used some tweaking. It might have kept the dolphins on their toes a bit more. I'm happy for the win and wasn't totally satisfied until that second interception to seal the win.

Chan went into safe mode in the second half. Basically burn off time and do not give them any turnovers. He said that in his PC.

Thankfully the Dolphins have an inept offense. The Dolphins completed floundered on offense....granted the Bills defense played well.
    But most other NFL teams would have beat the Bills last night.

Miami has no real wide receivers. No running attack and a rookie QB. I am glad we won, but if Miami didn't suck so bad on offense they could have easily won the game.

We won. Be happy. But we still got some issues. The Bills offense only scored 12 points last night.

Quote Originally Posted by soflabillsfan View Post
    His play calls are mind boggling sometimes. Fitz going under center with 15 secs left and no timeouts on the 4yd line. The empty sets on 3rd and 1 all night. Thank god for the defense and nolan carrol.
    this is what really gets me fired up at least make it look like you are going to run on 3rd and 1 by putting someone in the backfield.

A man's got to BILLieve in something. I BILLieve I'll have another drink.
    -- W.C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by williampjohn View Post
    You simplified to the point of being completely short sighted.
    Okay there Nostradamus...

If Fitz makes 2 throws he can't seem to make and we're 6-4, the whole coach thing is a moot point as we're 6-4 and tied with the Pats. In this year's NFL, and especially the AFC, what's Gailey's approval rating with that record?

Now that we're losing now more than winning, it's on the coach, which he should get some blame, but is a QB problem more than a coaching problem. And therefore a Nix problem and he should be the center of the thread. I don't think Gailey would be running the same offense with a complete QB on the roster.
    How do I loathe Jon Bon Jovi, let me count the ways ....
    1. He wants to buy into the team and move it to Toronto, leaving THREE NFL Franchises in Florida and ZERO in New York.
    2. He's a Jets fan.
    3. He's friends with Bill Belichick.

Seriously, why doesn't the league just kick us all where it counts and take a 15 yard penalty for taunting if they let Jon Bon Jovi and his highlights buy into our team.

In 1987, Jon was all about Tommy and Gina. In 2014, Jon's all about Claude and Anais.

All I can say is this:

Remember the play Chan called last week at the very end of the game? Second down on the 3 yard line. CJ on the sidelines. Game on the line? Play called to inconsistent rookie wide receiver? Who runs the wrong route and costs us the game?

Remember that?

I've got no NFL experience, but for me, you don't get "cute" in that situation--- especially on 2nd down. You put the ball into the hands of your best players and force the other team to stop you. You line up CJ Spiller and Stevie on 2nd down, you line up CJ and Stevie on 3rd down. If you still don't score, then oh well.

You don't have your BEST player sitting on the sidelines in that situation (and the best RB in the LEAGUE), and you don't have your MOST INCONSISTENT WR on the field.

You just.... DON'T.

im happy with the win too and I still hope Chan is gone after this year, he really is over thinking himself which turned into a 3 and out or 3 points instead of 7 everytime

2014 Is going to be the year we make the playoffs

Adopt A Bill 2014-2015- Marcell Dareus

sigh...................double sigh.............................