Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spikes fined 25k....

Yea we know

New England Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes was fined $25,000 for his hit on Buffalo Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick last Sunday that later prompted Fitzpatrick to call him a "punk at times."

Spikes, who said Thursday that he was anticipating a fine, was penalized on the play, which came with 10:36 remaining in the fourth quarter of the Patriots' 37-31 win. After the play, Fitzpatrick -- who had his helmet knocked off by the hit -- got in Spikes' space.

In addition, Patriots rookie cornerback Alfonzo Dennard was fined $7,875 for unnecessary roughness for a late hit on Fitzpatrick, which came out of bounds in the second quarter. And Pats linebacker Jerod Mayo, who tackled C.J. Spiller after the Bills' running back ran out of bounds, was fined $10,000 for the late hit.
    **** cheatriots...

Shoot. That ain't even as much as his brother's bail was.
    "I put my thing down, flip it and reverse it."

Missy Misdemeanor Elliot

if they really want them to stop.. they should start fineing them in the millions i bet that would make them the nicest little guys on the team
    Adopt-A-Bill 2012:Zebrie Sanders Adopt-A-Bill 2013:Garrison Sanborn

Quote Originally Posted by MarioBilliams View Post
    if they really want them to stop.. they should start fineing them in the millions i bet that would make them the nicest little guys on the team
    Id rather see them suspended for a game then fined at all. These fines are nothing but parking tickets. If they are truely concerned about player safety then I think they should start suspending repeat offenders.

How many times are they gonna fine him before Suspending him? Y not do both... imo the hit on Fred that he fumbled was dirtiest of all and no1 talked about it. I watched in slo mo as he aimed and altered to the back of Fred's head giving him the concussion... they talk about player safety but let's scums like Spikes do the same thing week in and week out

Quote Originally Posted by caffeine addict View Post
    **** cheatriots...
    are you proud of this?

i didnt think it was a hit worth fining for....he didnt aim for the head, he slid up the body to contact the head...now the hit on FJ that was an intentional shot at the head of a defensless player who was already being taken to the ground.

Man they unloaded on the Pats with those fines. The fine from the hit from Mayo out of bounds probably didn't require a fine. I don't remember it being that excessive just bad judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by shortchaz View Post
    are you proud of this?
    Proud of what? Calling them cheatriots? They have a history of systemic cheating as well as routinely having players who consistently make illegal dirty hits.
    Glad he got fined but I think the fact he had several head shots in the same game should have lead to a suspension.

I think football should get a yellow card system where if a player makes too many personal fouls they are ejected from the game.

His hit on Fred Jackson was the dirtiest, and sneakiest as well, but that inexplicably went unfined. Apparently Fred Jackson is not enough of a marquee player to warrant Spikes getting fined for that one.

Maybe Spikes will paralyze him next time and that will get him the fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7975 View Post
    Id rather see them suspended for a game then fined at all. These fines are nothing but parking tickets. If they are truely concerned about player safety then I think they should start suspending repeat offenders.
    The league needs a multiple offender rule on the books and unlike hockey actually enforce it. Spikes purposely tries to hurt players and frankly no one seems to be willing to take him out or he turtles at the opportunity in true "Kasperitis/Hartnell" fashion.

But hey, the league didn't suspend Wilfork after trying purposely to poke someone in the eye...

IMO, one of the stronger arguments agains the league my former players is the poor punishment system for player hits. $25? Spikes can make that at an personal appearance or 2.
    How do I loathe Jon Bon Jovi, let me count the ways ....
    1. He wants to buy into the team and move it to Toronto, leaving THREE NFL Franchises in Florida and ZERO in New York.
    2. He's a Jets fan.
    3. He's friends with Bill Belichick.

Seriously, why doesn't the league just kick us all where it counts and take a 15 yard penalty for taunting if they let Jon Bon Jovi and his highlights buy into our team.

In 1987, Jon was all about Tommy and Gina. In 2014, Jon's all about Claude and Anais.

Yeah in the beginning of watching football, is like in the beginning of watching races, you like to see the bad hits/bad wrecks. But, as a true fan develops an understanding, you come to grow to hate to see the bad hits unless they are legitimate good hits or tackles, as in racing, you hate to see wrecks, unless you don't like the driver, but then, still, you don't like to see anyone hurt, just out for that game or race. So, when you get repeat offenders, you have to keep fining them per current rule, but true, as someone said, I would like to also see them sit out for a game or two, as well as fine increases, then, put those fine monies to a charity or two or more of the person being hit desires.

"I am not a robot. I do not like having discs crammed into me unless they're Oreos. And then only in the mouth" - Frye

Quote Originally Posted by SWLYUOT View Post
    His hit on Fred Jackson was the dirtiest, and sneakiest as well, but that inexplicably went unfined. Apparently Fred Jackson is not enough of a marquee player to warrant Spikes getting fined for that one.

Maybe Spikes will paralyze him next time and that will get him the fine.
    I agree about the Fred hit...but the rest of the statement insinuates that Fitz is some sort of marquee player which is so far off its funny

Quote Originally Posted by lilfaith24 View Post
    I agree about the Fred hit...but the rest of the statement insinuates that Fitz is some sort of marquee player which is so far off its funny

Well, he is a starting Quarterback in the NFL, that's pretty good if you ask me. In any event, it's nice to see that you're focusing on the most important issue here.

Wow, cant believe you turn this into another Fitz hate thread.

No class man.

The pay scale varies so widely that I feel they should be fined in line with a percentage of what they make. This would include any bonus or incentive money, as well as what they get for the playoffs.

Say 5% 7% 10%, then the suspensions and lost game cheques kick in for further violations. After the season, any extra is tallied up and they send that off. It's not rocket science, why can't these people figure a system that simple out?

Maybe for good measure, the player they illegally hit gets a percentage or two of the offender's fine back from the league, just to rub it in.

Oh, mykidsdad...

This is an interesting thread in the fact that it looks at the impact of fines verses suspension. This seems to be consistant with certain teams also. In New Orleans the commissioner came down hard on the coaching staff for bounties. Why isn't this being looked into with Belichek? I look at the penalties the Bills have incurred and poor coaching. Why aren't we looking at these hits, from several different players, lead by Spikes at the coaching level? If the coaches are affected by this type of play, then the players wouldn't see the field!

Would that stop some of these illegal hits?
    I Bill-ieve