Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 119

Thread: The Rockpile Review - Not Enough in Indianapolis

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,714

    Default

    Buffalo Bills

    FREE iPad Download

    Quote Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
    This is a Buffalo Bills themed message board, what else would you expect? I for one like Shaw's reviews/points of view... the guy puts a lot of time into them.
    justRN has a point to an extent.

    I know this isn't what justRN said, but this is what I'm going to say:

    Does this really take a lot of time?

    The RockPile review is losing it's relevancy each and every week (No Offense Shaw).

    Shaw is posting things the board talks about on a DAILY basis.

    Yes- We know Byrd is "really good".
    We know McKelvin is improving.
    We know Fitz doesn't have good throwing strength.
    WE KNOW all these things.

    This is just putting facts that are easy to find on the internet and posting them on the board- along with mundane opinions.

    I used to look forward to reading these reviews, but this season they have lost their insight.

    I liked the "10 things I think, I think" threads, instead of the "Rockpile" ones- I felt they had more THOUGHT.
    I just don't give a stink.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Elmira
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Instead of critiquing somebody who is posting the thoughts that are most potent after a loss, why don't you post your thoughts so we can have a thoughtful conversation? It just comes off as douchey and doesn't contribute to thoughtful conversation when you take that tone.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,556

    Default

    I enjoy this thread each and every week but I think this week you'all missed the point
    We lost the game by a single ST play
    So while I see the usual zillions threads about Fitz and Chan
    I'm seeing not a single thread about our ST giving us a TD on a punt for the 7 Pts difference in the game
    It's almost like no-one here actually watched it
    Just saying...
    lol

  4. #24

    Default

    f
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    justRN has a point to an extent.

    I know this isn't what justRN said, but this is what I'm going to say:

    Does this really take a lot of time?

    The RockPile review is losing it's relevancy each and every week (No Offense Shaw).

    Shaw is posting things the board talks about on a DAILY basis.

    Yes- We know Byrd is "really good".
    We know McKelvin is improving.
    We know Fitz doesn't have good throwing strength.
    WE KNOW all these things.

    This is just putting facts that are easy to find on the internet and posting them on the board- along with mundane opinions.

    I used to look forward to reading these reviews, but this season they have lost their insight.

    I liked the "10 things I think, I think" threads, instead of the "Rockpile" ones- I felt they had more THOUGHT.
    Then you and JustRN need to stop coming to the boards and reading posts. Hulloooo... it's been 13 years of the same crap with the team you don't think it's gonna be more of the same on the boards? Shaw's been a fan of this team forever. He takes this time to write out these "mundane" facts and opinions on a weekly basis, despite a team that may not inspire anyone to write anything nice about them.

    I think people have problems with these posts because they actually present some positives and this board is mostly full of wrist-cutters.

    Despite the crappy feeling we have, there's nothing wrong with a post like this. If you liked the format of "10 Things," that's fine because I liked that better too. But you and especially JustRN need to stop trolling around in the level-headed posts that have been here on a consistent basis.

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TJdeep View Post
    Why are you so worried about Tarvaris getting on the field??? You bring that up in so many threads. I don't think the Bills are going to make him the QB of the future but why not let him show what he can do?? Chan's statement that he doesn't have enough reps in practice
    to play at all this year is reflective of his old school thinking. He brought in Tyler and he won't demote him. Why not let an athletic QB give it a shot? If we bring in a rookie QB Chan won't start him so how will that sell tickets.

    Really, what is your real problem with Tarvaris???
    Why do I have to put it in this thread when I explained it in two other threads Sunday night? however, I will do it again.

    The Bills have a relatively easy schedule the last five games. There are a whole lot of QB's in this league, to include backups, that could win at least three of the five games and look good doing it.

    I don't want some scrub QB looking good against crap teams and having that QB being sold as the answer......which would happen the way the Bills run their organization.

    Easy enough to understand.



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    29,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaunta53 View Post
    I'm not speaking for Beast but he's just not good enough to get the Bills the week in and week out consistency on offense that's needed to make the playoffs...

    It's a lateral move to go from Fitz to Jackson...
    It IS a lateral move, and I didn't say I like it. I just don't see the Bills getting a rookie QB who can start next year - I don't think there's one out there - there aren't any good free agent QBs. The Bills have to make a change, and Jackson looks like the only choice. At least he can throw.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Webster, NY
    Posts
    10,541

    Default

    I would really like to see Jackson get a chance the rest of the season but I doubt Gailey will let him. He hasn't let him even step on the field so far this season so I don't think he will let him now even though the season is lost.
    11/6/12-The day the music died.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    29,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    justRN has a point to an extent.

    I know this isn't what justRN said, but this is what I'm going to say:

    Does this really take a lot of time?

    The RockPile review is losing it's relevancy each and every week (No Offense Shaw).

    Shaw is posting things the board talks about on a DAILY basis.

    Yes- We know Byrd is "really good".
    We know McKelvin is improving.
    We know Fitz doesn't have good throwing strength.
    WE KNOW all these things.

    This is just putting facts that are easy to find on the internet and posting them on the board- along with mundane opinions.

    I used to look forward to reading these reviews, but this season they have lost their insight.

    I liked the "10 things I think, I think" threads, instead of the "Rockpile" ones- I felt they had more THOUGHT.


    You're right.

    I thought about having this week's RR being four words long: "There's nothing worth saying."

    I haven't been posting here much because (1) I'm busy and (2) there is nothing to say that hasn't been said.

    You want some brilliant, fresh, new insight into why the Bills lost on Sunday? It doesn't exist. The explanation is plain, simple and has been said for weeks, months or even years: Gailey isn't getting the job done as head coach and Fitz isn't getting the job done at QB. (And, if you want one more, Nix failed to get a QB over the past two years.) What's the point of bashing Fitz, Gailey and Nix week after week. Every Sunday, all that I see, bottom line, is that they aren't getting the job done.

    For the second week in a row, the Bills played a game where nothing much happened on the field worth talking about. And there was nothing much to get excited about. The defense is playing pretty well, but that just tends to make the games boring, because it means NEITHER offense accomplishes much. Several guys are making plays, and that's a good thing. But even the defense is unexciting - it isn't throwing a lot of wrinkles at the other time, at least interesting wrinkles - not much blitzing, not a lot of stunts. It isn't generating takeaways.

    The offense is close to horrible, which is kind of amazing with the play they're getting out of Spiller. They make some plays, but they haven't been able to score for weeks, with the exception of the Patriots game. On any normal team, the HC would fire the OC. That, of course, isn't happening here.

    Give the Bills Harbaugh and Kapernick, Carroll and Wilson, heck, even Gailey and Tannehill, and something would be happening with this team.

    Until the Bills get a new QB and probably a new HC, things aren't going to change. The record will be bad, the team will be boring, the games will be boring and the Rockpile Review will be boring.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Orchard Park
    Posts
    2,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaw66 View Post
    You're right.

    I thought about having this week's RR being four words long: "There's nothing worth saying."

    I haven't been posting here much because (1) I'm busy and (2) there is nothing to say that hasn't been said.

    You want some brilliant, fresh, new insight into why the Bills lost on Sunday? It doesn't exist. The explanation is plain, simple and has been said for weeks, months or even years: Gailey isn't getting the job done as head coach and Fitz isn't getting the job done at QB. (And, if you want one more, Nix failed to get a QB over the past two years.) What's the point of bashing Fitz, Gailey and Nix week after week. Every Sunday, all that I see, bottom line, is that they aren't getting the job done.

    For the second week in a row, the Bills played a game where nothing much happened on the field worth talking about. And there was nothing much to get excited about. The defense is playing pretty well, but that just tends to make the games boring, because it means NEITHER offense accomplishes much. Several guys are making plays, and that's a good thing. But even the defense is unexciting - it isn't throwing a lot of wrinkles at the other time, at least interesting wrinkles - not much blitzing, not a lot of stunts. It isn't generating takeaways.

    The offense is close to horrible, which is kind of amazing with the play they're getting out of Spiller. They make some plays, but they haven't been able to score for weeks, with the exception of the Patriots game. On any normal team, the HC would fire the OC. That, of course, isn't happening here.

    Give the Bills Harbaugh and Kapernick, Carroll and Wilson, heck, even Gailey and Tannehill, and something would be happening with this team.

    Until the Bills get a new QB and probably a new HC, things aren't going to change. The record will be bad, the team will be boring, the games will be boring and the Rockpile Review will be boring.
    Well said... Well said...

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    29,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wilcoam View Post
    I enjoy this thread each and every week but I think this week you'all missed the point
    We lost the game by a single ST play
    So while I see the usual zillions threads about Fitz and Chan
    I'm seeing not a single thread about our ST giving us a TD on a punt for the 7 Pts difference in the game
    It's almost like no-one here actually watched it
    Just saying...
    lol
    Well, if they hadn't given up the punt return, it would have been something else - the INT to end the Pats game, the late drive to lose to the Titans.

    The point is, as Gailey has said forever, is that this team doesn't know how to win. As I said, they should be 7-4 instead of 4-7. 7-4! They'd be on their way to the playoffs.

    This team doesn't find a way to win; it finds ways to lose. When you see a team like that, the problem is at the top - the HC.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Wild, Wild West
    Posts
    50,369

    Default


    As much as I have wanted to believe that Chan Gailey was the answer, sadly I can no longer disagree with your last post here, Shaw.
    Thanks to -realfan- for the beautiful tribute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wquq4DTbC9E

    Twitter @wyobilzfan



  12. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Orchard Park
    Posts
    2,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaw66 View Post
    Well, if they hadn't given up the punt return, it would have been something else - the INT to end the Pats game, the late drive to lose to the Titans.

    The point is, as Gailey has said forever, is that this team doesn't know how to win. As I said, they should be 7-4 instead of 4-7. 7-4! They'd be on their way to the playoffs.

    This team doesn't find a way to win; it finds ways to lose. When you see a team like that, the problem is at the top - the HC.
    I am tired of all of the excuses and the same quotes from this team week after week... Also, hearing all of the talk of tj running the wrong route or that he shouldn't of been in there for the play against the pats was a joke.. It went on for 3 days after the **** game.. Gailey has had 3 years and he shouldn't be back next year.. Hell, Russ Brandon won't be able to market this team with gailey at HC next year.. There has to be a change and they need to get it right for once.. I don't want to hear any more excuses....

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    29,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaunta53 View Post
    3rd team in 3 years, couldn't beat out a 3rd round rookie QB, sub 60% completion percentage, 6.7 career ypa, barely above a 1:1 TD:INT ratio for his career...

    He's not good enough...
    Shaunta -

    I agree with almost completely. I complained here a lot when the Bills signed him on the heals of cutting essentially the same guy - Vince Young. It's almost a 100% certainty that Tarvaris Jackson is not a franchise-type QB.

    However, as I watch the games every week, it's absolutely painful to see essentially every starting QB make throws that Fitz can't. In terms of throwing ability, Fitz may be the worst starter in the league. At least Jackson doesn't have that disability - he can deliver the ball. As I recall from his Minnesota days, he didn't throw consistently, and he made some bad decisions on the field.

    But as others have said in one way or another, if the guy you're using isn't getting the job done, what's the point of sticking with him? I don't know if the Bills would have won with Jackson yesterday, but they would have scored more than one touchdown.

    Again, I'm not leading the chants for Jackson as starter. I'm just expecting to see him starting next year, because he's likely a the least bad choice among several bad choices.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    29,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by transplantbillsfan View Post
    I hope you're thinking that Jackson is named the starter before the preseason because we just drafted some rookie and Chan (unfortunately, we have to assume he'll be here) leaves it as an open competition with Jackson in the lead at the start. It would be UNACCEPTABLE if they didn't draft a QB in rounds 1 or 2.
    What depresses me on this subject is that I've watched more college football that usual (for me) this season, and I haven't seen any QBs who are coming out. I think Barkley is horrible. Good athlete, not a thrower. K-State and West Virginia guys aren't classic throwers. LSU has a freshman who can throw, but he isn't coming out. I assume Johnny Football isn't coming out. 2011 and 2012 had the guys with NFL arms AND guys who had shown they can run offenses with at least decent arms. I don't see any of those this year.

    Mallett, Tannehill and Wilson all were there to be taken. I didn't like Mallett, and I liked the other two. But whether I liked them or not, they all were guys who were reasonable prospects, and that's what the Bills needed. Vince Young and Tarvaris Jackson? Please.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    fullerton,ca
    Posts
    100

    Default

    In no way am I defending Fitz, but why do people think tarvaris is more mobile? Look at the numbers he's not a scramblers by any means.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    29,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billieve44 View Post
    In no way am I defending Fitz, but why do people think tarvaris is more mobile? Look at the numbers he's not a scramblers by any means.
    I don't think he's a better scrambler - I think he's a better runner. Fitz escapes the pocket quite well and runs well enough; I just think Jackson runs better. But the reason I'd play Jackson is that he has a live arm, and there's no point staying with a guy who offers little chance to win.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wyo View Post

    As much as I have wanted to believe that Chan Gailey was the answer, sadly I can no longer disagree with your last post here, Shaw.
    His reasoning for not using both backs is what made me give up. I think he'll get another year (and Fitzpatrick too) and they will draft a QB this year in the first round. I'm hoping for Glennon, McCarron or Nassib, since I assume Geno Smith will be gone.

    I'll be putting up a post in the next week or two detailing with video, pictures showing the two things Gailey doesn't do right - use both backs together (as well as killing the injury excuse) AND the (put your pitchforks away) wildcat with Brad Smith. He's done nothing in either area, and they both have their place to make this team work. I hate it.
    "Excuses are the tools of the incompetent" - Mike Tomlin


    www.ballburglar.com

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Wild, Wild West
    Posts
    50,369

    Default

    Fitz has become painful to watch. He cannot throw the ball accurately. He's had MORE than enough time, a QBs coach known for being able to help with problems. You can see in his face he knows this is his last season as a starter in this league. He's HORRIBLY inaccurate. Obviously he is an epic fail at leadership as well. I don't give a rip what the other players say about his leadership skills, he has NONE where it matters.

    Just "getting along" and singing kumbaya is not leadership. Leadership is standing up and making themselves and everyone around them accountable for their productivity or lack thereof. Fitz is bad both on the field and off the field in terms of being a motivated leader.

    smh
    Thanks to -realfan- for the beautiful tribute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wquq4DTbC9E

    Twitter @wyobilzfan



  19. #39
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Posts
    3,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaw66 View Post
    Well, if they hadn't given up the punt return, it would have been something else - the INT to end the Pats game, the late drive to lose to the Titans.

    The point is, as Gailey has said forever, is that this team doesn't know how to win. As I said, they should be 7-4 instead of 4-7. 7-4! They'd be on their way to the playoffs.
    This team doesn't find a way to win; it finds ways to lose. When you see a team like that, the problem is at the top - the HC.
    I think we all go through a period of the "what if's" after a loss. The punt at the 35 instead of giving Lindell a shot at 3pts. The fumble forced by Gilmore on Avery in the 3rd qrt. recovered by Allan. Fitzpatrick's miraculous 2nd shot at life after Johnson single handedly gives him back a game he threw away in the final drive.

    And if the rabbit hadn't stopped for a dump, the turtle never would have won the race.

    In game, I imagine what forward progress might have been accomplished, or what would have changed "if'. The punt from the 34. If Lindell makes the field goal, then he kicks off the following play, maybe the Colts returner fumbles on the 15, maybe he runs it back for another special teams td. It's all moot and unfolds as it was meant to.

    Your point about teams spending pratice time on defending the screen opens up oportunities elsewhere, the point about bringing Spiller out on a route, a quick slant, anything, few stunts or blitzes. It's almost as if this coaching staff has it's game plan set in stone. All the creativity has been used up during the week for that process and not much is left in the barrell come kickoff. Or worse, maybe they can't see the obvious.

    I don't think the what if's I see so predomanantly posted post game would have the ring of being so lost as to what the heck is going on with the play calling and in game decisions if a coach like Jeff Fisher, or one of the Harbaughs was at the helm.

    The QB is who he is, so who expects anything different, really, after 3 years of showing us who he is.

    It's the coaching that leaves me guessing. or at least taking it to the next level and asking, "would the questions be the same after a loss with a coach who has a proven track record and a presence that commands respect as an NFL head coach be different, or even exist to the extent that we see of coach like Gailey who happens to be in charge on the sidelines." A good offensive play caller. I hear that from in game announcers calling the game every Sunday, (or thurs),.

    It smacks of if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing. Or point to what may be the only strength he might have to warrent the position. The refrences of Jones lamenting the fact that he wished he would have given Gailey a longer stay in Dallas have dried up, too. Not much else to say about him from any source at this point.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Wild, Wild West
    Posts
    50,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BillsFann View Post
    His reasoning for not using both backs is what made me give up. I think he'll get another year (and Fitzpatrick too) and they will draft a QB this year in the first round. I'm hoping for Glennon, McCarron or Nassib, since I assume Geno Smith will be gone.

    I'll be putting up a post in the next week or two detailing with video, pictures showing the two things Gailey doesn't do right - use both backs together (as well as killing the injury excuse) AND the (put your pitchforks away) wildcat with Brad Smith. He's done nothing in either area, and they both have their place to make this team work. I hate it.
    I can hardly wait to read your post. Thanks, Fann. It will help me to understand this mess on the field. The off the field stuff is my specialty, and I am getting ready to bore everyone with another babbling post about team chemistry. This team is a mess.
    Thanks to -realfan- for the beautiful tribute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wquq4DTbC9E

    Twitter @wyobilzfan



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •