Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does Ontario get blacked out?

Default Why does Ontario get blacked out?

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Does anyone know how the blackout rules extend into Ontario? Any Bills game that is blacked out is immediately blacked out in all of Ontario as far as I can tell, even if you are a few hundred miles from Buffalo. Never made sense to me.
    I would think that Rogers would be trying to show anything Bills related to sell more tickets to the Toronto game...

Or maybe they are trying to hide the product from viewers so they don't scare anyone off...

screw Rogers
    I love the smell of charcoal in the morning.

Are you sure? I live in Vancouver and I watch all the Bills games on CTV Toronto (I took the CTV package). That would mean that I won't see tomorrow's game.

ya it is really annoying that the game is blacked out for us, I think it is because on rogers the game is shown on a western new york/american station.

Ever since the NFL blackout rules started this has always been the case.

I think its a 90/100 mile radius.
    Section 222 Row 5 seats 1,2

Adopt a Bill..Brown, Bryce

Because the NFL rule is that the blackout extends in a 75 mile radius from the stadium

Quote Originally Posted by The Hippest Kat View Post
    Because the NFL rule is that the blackout extends in a 75 mile radius from the stadium
    Yeah, but my point was that the blackout extends for hundreds of miles in Ontario, and I think means that in effect it is blacked out in all of Canada.
    Rogers just just taps into the US feed and dubs over their own commercials so I guess if it is blacked out they don't bother broadcasting to the rest of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by stuvian View Post
    screw Rogers
    No kidding. But does Bell carry the blacked out games? I used to use them and I think they also wouldn't show the blacked out games even though I live 150 miles from Buffalo.

Syracuse is blackout, how far is that? Thank God somebody interveined I don't know how many more losses I could witness! Now I get to watch our media darling Brady destroy the phins! No one wants to buy tickets to the bills game to watch the refs tilt the game in the oppositions favor!

Actually, the conspiracy in this is that the NFL doesn't consider any of the near 4 MILLION people across the border in the Bills "market" and that's how they convince us Buffalo is the smallest market.... When it isn't.

For that matter... they don't count Rochester or Syracuse either...

Yet they are blacked out.

It is definitely not blacked out in all of Canada. I get every game in Nova Scotia with the sunday ticket whether it's blacked out or not.
    It is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light, and certainly not desirable, as one's hat keeps blowing off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by billsfan123
    if you guys hadn't noticed we have a salary cap. We can't put all of our money in RBs remember we still have to resign Byrd and we don't even have a QB on this team speak before you think

Canada is a suburb of Buffalo, so of course it is blacked out.

The world is comprised of three types of people:
    1. Wolves
    2. Sheep
    3. Those that protect the Sheep from the Wolves
    Proud to be a lifelong member of category #3

The human race is doomed when the forces of good refuse to aggressively confront the forces of evil.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeine addict View Post
    Yeah, but my point was that the blackout extends for hundreds of miles in Ontario, and I think means that in effect it is blacked out in all of Canada.
    Rogers just just taps into the US feed and dubs over their own commercials so I guess if it is blacked out they don't bother broadcasting to the rest of the country.
    Probably because you get the CTV affiliate in Toronto which is within the zone. I don't know if Kitchener shows Bills games.

Utica is 180 miles from the Ralph. It gets its CBS from Syracuse. So it's blacked out simply because it lacks its own CBS affiliate. Same thing with Ontario. You get your affiliate from Toronto on cable, it's blacked out.
    Adopt a Bill 2011 Ryan Fitzpatrick

as a waiter/bartender... because many of them don't tip well? haha

It doesn't matter where the tv signal emanates from, it matters if the signal reaches into the blackout zone. So in Syracuse's example the tv signal reaches into the blackout zone because it goes into Yates County. Therefore every place that tv signal reaches-Syracuse, Utica, etc it is blacked out.

Quote Originally Posted by harry View Post
    It doesn't matter where the tv signal emanates from, it matters if the signal reaches into the blackout zone. So in Syracuse's example the tv signal reaches into the blackout zone because it goes into Yates County. Therefore every place that tv signal reaches-Syracuse, Utica, etc it is blacked out.
    Exactly.

But because Rochester, Syracuse and Ontario have their own TV networks and are separate from the Buffalo TV networks NONE OF THOSE CITIES are included in the Buffalo Market.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyT92679 View Post
    Probably because you get the CTV affiliate in Toronto which is within the zone. I don't know if Kitchener shows Bills games.

Utica is 180 miles from the Ralph. It gets its CBS from Syracuse. So it's blacked out simply because it lacks its own CBS affiliate. Same thing with Ontario. You get your affiliate from Toronto on cable, it's blacked out.
    Kitchener gets blacked out too.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeine addict View Post
    Kitchener gets blacked out too.
    Yeah wish Kitchener didn't get blacked out. Even though I dont live in Canada I can still get CTV over the air coming across the lake. For some reason I thought it fell outside the blackout radius.

Quote Originally Posted by directFX View Post
    Actually, the conspiracy in this is that the NFL doesn't consider any of the near 4 MILLION people across the border in the Bills "market" and that's how they convince us Buffalo is the smallest market.... When it isn't.
    yeah check the link under any place in Syracuse showing the game thread, pats vs phins showing to half the country, bills have a few small yellow dots, it's a small market