Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Monday Qb Club...Nix Statment

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Quote Originally Posted by xbxoxy View Post
    i dont watch college football but a lot of ppl who do say that this year there is not a QB that could be considered "franchise" in the draft... anyone knows if this is true?
    Nope. Geno Smith is a gimmick that got exposed. The USC kid has the arm of a 5th Grade Girl. Landry Jones flat out sucks, he reads half a field and if his first option on that side isnt open, he craps his pants. Not a good year for QB's and that is what Nix will tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyray View Post
    Bah Humbug!

Wilson and Nix have been talking about getting a "Legit" franchise QB for the last few years and all we have gotten is a lump of coal.
    to his point he said he wanted to build the lines first to set the QB up for success. They have done that now it'a time to deliver the QB
    What would you be doing if nothing were impossible...

Manti' Te'o (1st), Dwayne Bowe (FA), Landry Jones (2nd) and I am very happy.

actions speak louder than blah,blah,blah !

Didn't read any of the posts beyond the OP. I just want to say that there have been a lot of debates on this board about whether to draft a good QB when he's available or whether to wait until you've put together your basic, solid foundation, then go get your QB.

Well, I was ALWAYS firmly of the belief that you take your QB when you can. In the Bills case, they have a couple of years with relatively high draft picks, and they never pulled the trigger. Now that they have their base, they won't be picking that high, so the price of getting a star QB will be much higher. At least that was my argument.

Buddy has now clearly stated that his view is that you do it the other way, as many people here said. Well, I still don't agree, but I feel a lot better about Nix at this point. It seemed like he was willing to trust Gailey on Fitz and not worry about the QB. Instead, what's been going on is that Nix (and almost certainly Gailey) have been thinking all along that Fitz is the short-term solution until they can get a seriously good QB in here. They've been answering questions very politely about Fitz, saying they think he can be the guy, when in their heads they were thinking "well, he COULD be the guy, but we're probably going to need a better solution soon."

I'm really glad to hear that. Really.

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaBillzFan View Post
    Nope. Geno Smith is a gimmick that got exposed. The USC kid has the arm of a 5th Grade Girl. Landry Jones flat out sucks, he reads half a field and if his first option on that side isnt open, he craps his pants. Not a good year for QB's and that is what Nix will tell us.
    Well, I saw Landry Jones a couple of years ago and I thought he looked really good, but I guess I'm not surprised to hear you say this about him.

As for Smith and Barkley, I am delighted to hear someone say what I've been thinking. Every time I saw Barkley play, I was amazed that people talked about him as an NFL QB. He's a fair-haired athlete, good athlete, surrounded by elite talent. I can't imagine that guy succeeding. And Smith doesn't look like an NFL QB, either. Just watch him. He had a couple of good games, got all this hype, but please, he doesn't compare to the QBs who went in the top of the last few drafts. He doesn't compare to Stafford and Bradford, and those guys both seem to be struggling. Clearly doesn't compare to Cam, Luck or RGIII.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaw66 View Post
    Well, I saw Landry Jones a couple of years ago and I thought he looked really good, but I guess I'm not surprised to hear you say this about him.

As for Smith and Barkley, I am delighted to hear someone say what I've been thinking. Every time I saw Barkley play, I was amazed that people talked about him as an NFL QB. He's a fair-haired athlete, good athlete, surrounded by elite talent. I can't imagine that guy succeeding. And Smith doesn't look like an NFL QB, either. Just watch him. He had a couple of good games, got all this hype, but please, he doesn't compare to the QBs who went in the top of the last few drafts. He doesn't compare to Stafford and Bradford, and those guys both seem to be struggling. Clearly doesn't compare to Cam, Luck or RGIII.
    Bills have bad enough of fair haired athletes lol. JP had the fairest hair of them all, oh wait no Trent did oh crap I mean Rob Johnson.

I agree 100%, great assessment.

What I’d like to see.
    Sign Mike Wallace in the offseason as a FA.
    Manti Te'o or Alec Ogletree in the first round.
    Mike Glennon or Tyler Wilson in the second round.
    As soon as laws are necessary for men, they are no longer fit for freedom.
    - Pythagoras.

Quote Originally Posted by eregitano View Post
    nix was asked at the Monday qb club what the bills top priorities are in the off season.

his response was in this order was:
    A future franchise QB...called Fitz serviceable.
    Wide receiver-legit threat to couple with Stevie
    Linebacker- a game changer 3 down linebacker

said he wanted to build both lines before bringing in a rookie Qb so he's set up for success. Coupling that with a dominant running game.

I'm excited they could get a solid prospect. geno smith to me is a perfect fit. Not sure we sniff him though.
    A couple of hurdles with that plan.

1) We do not have the #1 pick in the draft. We have to scramble to pick a QB when it is our turn.
    2) Luck and RGIII came out last year.
    3) Buddy has been indicating he will draft a QB, but with a hint that it won't be in the 1st round.
    So, which QBs will still be available when we pick? Will we be picking 10-12th in the 2nd round and get the 5th best QB?

I am prepared for Buddy to draft a QB this year, and then have to draft another one next year because you don't always get it right on the first try. Ask Miami. How many QBs have they drafted since Mario retired? A hundred?

nix was asked at the Monday qb club what the bills top priorities are in the off season.

said he wanted to build both lines before bringing in a rookie Qb so he's set up for success. Coupling that with a dominant running game.

I'm excited they could get a solid prospect. geno smith to me is a perfect fit. Not sure we sniff him though.
    Geno Smith was all the buzz, then hit a bad stretch where he played some ranked teams, then Barkley got hurt, so he's the man again.

If Barkley recovers, I'll take him over Smith.
    How do I loathe Jon Bon Jovi, let me count the ways ....
    1. He wants to buy into the team and move it to Toronto, leaving THREE NFL Franchises in Florida and ZERO in New York.
    2. He's a Jets fan.
    3. He's friends with Bill Belichick.

Seriously, why doesn't the league just kick us all where it counts and take a 15 yard penalty for taunting if they let Jon Bon Jovi and his highlights buy into our team.

In 1987, Jon was all about Tommy and Gina. In 2014, Jon's all about Claude and Anais.

Quote Originally Posted by intimidatortj View Post
    A couple of hurdles with that plan.

1) We do not have the #1 pick in the draft. We have to scramble to pick a QB when it is our turn.
    2) Luck and RGIII came out last year.
    3) Buddy has been indicating he will draft a QB, but with a hint that it won't be in the 1st round.
    So, which QBs will still be available when we pick? Will we be picking 10-12th in the 2nd round and get the 5th best QB?

I am prepared for Buddy to draft a QB this year, and then have to draft another one next year because you don't always get it right on the first try. Ask Miami. How many QBs have they drafted since Mario retired? A hundred?

dont want anyone jumping ahead of us if nix says he's taking a QB in the first, i dont think he is, but nix is a very good poker player!

Okay, so Nix knows what he wants, but will he pull the trigger to get them.
    Can you dig it?

How bout a head coach Buddy?
    "You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself. "- Dick "The Cowardly Lion" Jauron

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
    Here's the issue. What is Gailey supposed to say/do? Say Fitz blows when you still have a shot at the playoffs? Bench Fitz (esp. when the back ups suck) and end up like the NYJ?
    Theres a lot of things Gailey can say. Certainly treating the fans like idiots and constantly shove down our throats that Fitz is a good quarterback after every game isn't something he needs to do. He could say, "He needs to play better and I need to coach better".

What is wrong with holding someone accountable?

Instead Gailey decides to be take a stubborn, angry approach with everyone who rightfully questions Fitzpatricks ability as a starting quarterback.

It's not fair to the media or the fans.
    "You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself. "- Dick "The Cowardly Lion" Jauron

Well I think they sign a LBer and possibly a WR...I still believe we draft a QB in rd 1, either trading up to get a guy we really like or staying out and hoping the guy they want is there...If the Bills look to trade up look to Oakland, they are in rebuild mode and are without a 2nd rd pick, they'll likely be the team looking to move down of the teams in the top 5
    Mock draft

1. T Jake Matthews
    2. TE Jace Amaro
    3. DE Kareem Martin
    4. LB Jordan Zumwalt
    5. CB Walt Aikens
    7. P Pat O'Donnell

Another Championship Uconn!!!

Quote Originally Posted by indybillsfan View Post
    Hopefully this shuts up a lot of folks on the board constantly whining about the QB position.
    He said this exact same thing 3 years ago.
    When the Bills hired Jauron and Gailey, the team's misfortunes were 100% predictable. At least Marrone has a chance to succeed.

As to the idea of trading for Cousins - it's not going to happen. Some other team might do it, and pay over the odds, but it won't be the Bills. Imho, Cousins won't be going anywhere. The 'Skins were very shrewd with their drafting of him. While they knew all along that RG3 was going to be 'the man', they are also well aware that a guy with his style of play, tends to pick up knocks more often, inevitably. Cousins is their insurance for that, and unless someone offers stupid picks for him, I don't think he's going anywhere.

The idea that we should pick up Vick, is borderline insanity. He's not very good anymore, and is quite obviously in serious danger of having to give up the game completely, due to repeated concussions. He shouldn't even be mentioned, let alone discussed.
    People should understand that the name on the front of the uniform is more important than the one on the back.

Why bother drafting worse players than you already have on your roster?

The Ignore List is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by xboomer View Post
    I still think the Bills should ask the Redskins what they want for a trade for Cousins. If it isn't to outrageous then do the deal. I think Cousins has the ability to be a very good QB with help from Gailey.
    I would take that trade but as good as RGIII is, he is going to get hurt if they keep using him as an option QB - it is just a matter of time. If I were them, I would hang on to Cousins. I like what Nix has done and he is correct to get both lines shored up as a first priority - we missed on Dalton and Kaepernick but I think we can get a decent guy in round 2 or three after getting BPA defense front 7 in the first - hopefully a great LB - then Glennon or Scott or some other Qb in later rounds. Most of you haven't seen or heard of Matt Scott but he is a good prospect who put up good numbers against USC and Stanford - he is very mobile - I think he might be as good as Tannehill but won't be rated that high - he plays his Bowl game next week (15th) and he is worth a look. Played behind Foles so he has not had much ink.
    Adopt-a-Bill 2014 Marquise Goodwin

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua672 View Post
    Makes me think we will target Keenan Allen in the 1st round and look for a QB in round two. Falls in line with his play maker comment from last week.
    Buddy won't go WR in the 1st round. Buddy has never brought a WR in during pre-draft visits. He likes his WRs undrafted or in the 3rd or 4th round.

Buddy will go BPA...no matter the position. Could be a Defensive Tackle like Star from Utah if he considers him BPA>

Quote Originally Posted by Tates View Post
    I would take that trade but as good as RGIII is, he is going to get hurt if they keep using him as an option QB - it is just a matter of time. If I were them, I would hang on to Cousins. I like what Nix has done and he is correct to get both lines shored up as a first priority - we missed on Dalton and Kaepernick but I think we can get a decent guy in round 2 or three after getting BPA defense front 7 in the first - hopefully a great LB - then Glennon or Scott or some other Qb in later rounds. Most of you haven't seen or heard of Matt Scott but he is a good prospect who put up good numbers against USC and Stanford - he is very mobile - I think he might be as good as Tannehill but won't be rated that high - he plays his Bowl game next week (15th) and he is worth a look. Played behind Foles so he has not had much ink.
    Matt Scott did have at least one concussion this year....possibly two but it wasn't confirmed.
    Matt Scott left the Arizona Wildcats game against the UCLA Bruins with six minutes to play in the third quarter after taking a hit while dropping back for a pass. It came one week after a controversial decision to play Scott after he took a hit against USC.