Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 92

Thread: Report: You Score, Keep Possesion of Footballl

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Bristol, CT
    Posts
    14,145

    Default

    Buffalo Bills

    FREE iPad Download

    It's a terrible idea. How many times will pass interference (or ANY other penalty) allow the team to keep ball? You need a punt block - sorry! running into the kicker! first down! It's a really really really stupid idea. Just put the ball on the 20. You CANNOT keep possession after you score. That's the entire premise of football.
    When the Bills hired Jauron and Gailey, the team's misfortunes were 100% predictable. At least Marrone has a chance to succeed.

  2. #22

    Default

    The fact that they're talking about it all but assures that next year there will be no more kick offs.

    Say goodbye to football. I wonder what sport will emerge to take over for this...Sarcasti-Ball league?

    MMA was a response to how boxing became unwatchable...now they're regulating it to unwatchable too...

    People said that they would never kill the golden goose which is NFL football. Well all those small changes were small steps that led us to a point that THIS is not being crucified for even being thought up...

    Pathetic
    I don't care who starts, who sits, who gets "a raw deal", who has a "noodle arm", who blocks, who drops passes because at the end of the day...if you're on the Bills...you're my favorite player...

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rochester
    Posts
    41,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FitzFan12 View Post
    Screw safety. This is about entertainment.
    Talk about ignorance...

    Oh, you're from Oklahoma???

    Never mind, it's an epidemic out there...

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rochester
    Posts
    41,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IhateWhiners View Post
    The fact that they're talking about it all but assures that next year there will be no more kick offs.

    Say goodbye to football. I wonder what sport will emerge to take over for this...Sarcasti-Ball league?

    MMA was a response to how boxing became unwatchable...now they're regulating it to unwatchable too...

    People said that they would never kill the golden goose which is NFL football. Well all those small changes were small steps that led us to a point that THIS is not being crucified for even being thought up...

    Pathetic
    Yeah because kick offs are so cool and the game can't live without them.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,351

    Default

    Wonder if there was this much backlash when they introduced, The Forward Pass?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    15,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaunta53 View Post
    Yeah because kick offs are so cool and the game can't live without them.
    Kickoffs are cool...I like that teams have the opportunity to give themselves better field position to start a drive after being scored on. I like that there's the potential for a game-winning kickoff return. It's another element to the game that is exciting.

    (courtesy of DIESEL-USMC)

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rochester
    Posts
    41,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AZbacker View Post
    Kickoffs are cool...I like that teams have the opportunity to give themselves better field position to start a drive after being scored on. I like that there's the potential for a game-winning kickoff return. It's another element to the game that is exciting.
    ZzZzZzZz.

    Sorry it's no different from getting the ball at the 20/25 and taking a play 80/75 yards.

    The NFL can do away with kick offs and it will be no different.

    The idea of other team getting the ball back is dumb but doing away with kick offs makes sense.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rochester
    Posts
    41,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RalphWilson'sWar View Post
    Wonder if there was this much backlash when they introduced, The Forward Pass?
    Yup, more than likely was.

    Just like there was back lash with allowing passing the puck forward in hockey.

    Just like the talk about getting rid of the DH.

    Just like the NBA introducing the 3pt shot and allowing the dunk.

    A bunch of people who are so stuck in their ways and fear change cry about the integrity of the game.

    Blah, blah, blah.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    37,134

    Default

    It's part of the game and needs to stay..

    Just taking the ball at the 20 is quite possibly the dumbest idea I've ever heard.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Elmwood Village
    Posts
    2,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IhateWhiners View Post
    The fact that they're talking about it all but assures that next year there will be no more kick offs.

    Say goodbye to football. I wonder what sport will emerge to take over for this...Sarcasti-Ball league?

    MMA was a response to how boxing became unwatchable...now they're regulating it to unwatchable too...

    People said that they would never kill the golden goose which is NFL football. Well all those small changes were small steps that led us to a point that THIS is not being crucified for even being thought up...

    Pathetic
    The answer is: BASEketball. Duh.
    -G

    "I don't like the Dolphins, I don't like the Jets, I don't like the m- f- Patriots! I don't like the Browns 'cuz they start with a B! Let's go Bills Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba Bills, Let's go Bills!" -If you hear this being cheered at Bills games... I am likely the one you are hearing!

    No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,239

    Default

    I actually like it. The kickoff has become a practical non play. Now 4th and 15 from own 30 vast majority of the time it will be a punt. How bout a Blocked punt to start the game? Creates a bigger chance of plays to be made.

    At the end of game creates more intrigue. Going for 4th a 15 isnt a gimmie but isnt the minimal chance that a onside kick is. Creates better quality of play.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    15,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaunta53 View Post
    ZzZzZzZz.

    Sorry it's no different from getting the ball at the 20/25 and taking a play 80/75 yards.

    The NFL can do away with kick offs and it will be no different.

    The idea of other team getting the ball back is dumb but doing away with kick offs makes sense.
    Sorry it is different. It's a kick-off. It's exciting. And guess what. If the kickoff returner doesn't score on an exciting run back, you still get to see those plays you are talking about! Win, win!

    And hey, you're offense is playing terribly? Don't worry, because your KR could still make a play! You do still have hope!

    (courtesy of DIESEL-USMC)

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    11,414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RalphWilson'sWar View Post
    www.nfl.com

    Radical new way of looking at eliminating kickoffs.

    NFL borrowing from the old Street Ball game of 'Make it, Take it'.

    Well...not entirely. You will keep Possesion and get the ball on your own 30 and it will be 4th and 15.

    So you either go for it or Punt.

    Whoa!
    That made me cough up a little blood. I disapprove! Changing some rules on tackling and whatnot is one thing, but this is a fundamental change to the fabric of the game itself. You may as well just use College OT rules and just HAVE the team that didn't score get the ball on the 20 yard line.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1237006_417793431666201_616460147_n.jpg
    14 years. Our Playoff drought has entered puberty.

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaunta53 View Post
    Yeah because kick offs are so cool and the game can't live without them.
    Not football. If you want to watch a game of tickle fights and giggle contests you can tune in there.

    As a fan I like NFL football. Changing the game while keeping the name the same doesn't make it the same game.

    Taking away a whole 3rd of the game will OBVIOUSLY have major changes in the way the game is played.

    WRs used to be tough SOBs the expected to be whaled on when they dared to run a pattern across the middle of the field. Defenses were built around that premise and Offenses were designed with those conditions in mind.

    Now WRs get touched and they whine and moan like little girls with skinned knees. I have seen WRs literally STOP running their route so they can start crying to the ref.

    That change has changed football. Some may say for the better but I personally don't like seeing millionaire, physical monsters crying like big babies.

    Taking away special teams eliminates Devin Hesters and Steve Taskers.

    Takes away onsides kicks

    Huge moments like the Music City Miracle (worst play EVER) don't occur and the Rob Johnson Era begins

    Teams will now have the capability to COUNT on the fact that if they score, they get to go right back to the 30 and score again and now against a potentially worn out D.

    D's can be on the field for 20 plays in a row! Each time the other team scores it gets easier to score on an increasingly tired D.

    Teams would then be forced to carry more D linemen and the Special Teams players would go away...

    The beauty of NFL football is the incredible balance of the game. It is VERY difficult for a team to dominate in only one aspect of the game while stink in the other two and still be successful.

    This would throw that all out of whack and to say that you KNOW that when the dust settles, we'd still have a watchable game is an outright lie. Why mess with something awesome??
    I don't care who starts, who sits, who gets "a raw deal", who has a "noodle arm", who blocks, who drops passes because at the end of the day...if you're on the Bills...you're my favorite player...

  15. #35

    Default

    PROOF the idea is horrendous and will be a disaster!

    Shopp and the Bulldog like it

    /thread
    I don't care who starts, who sits, who gets "a raw deal", who has a "noodle arm", who blocks, who drops passes because at the end of the day...if you're on the Bills...you're my favorite player...

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IhateWhiners View Post
    Not football. If you want to watch a game of tickle fights and giggle contests you can tune in there.

    As a fan I like NFL football. Changing the game while keeping the name the same doesn't make it the same game.

    Taking away a whole 3rd of the game will OBVIOUSLY have major changes in the way the game is played.

    WRs used to be tough SOBs the expected to be whaled on when they dared to run a pattern across the middle of the field. Defenses were built around that premise and Offenses were designed with those conditions in mind.

    Now WRs get touched and they whine and moan like little girls with skinned knees. I have seen WRs literally STOP running their route so they can start crying to the ref.

    That change has changed football. Some may say for the better but I personally don't like seeing millionaire, physical monsters crying like big babies.

    Taking away special teams eliminates Devin Hesters and Steve Taskers.

    Takes away onsides kicks

    Huge moments like the Music City Miracle (worst play EVER) don't occur and the Rob Johnson Era begins

    Teams will now have the capability to COUNT on the fact that if they score, they get to go right back to the 30 and score again and now against a potentially worn out D.

    D's can be on the field for 20 plays in a row! Each time the other team scores it gets easier to score on an increasingly tired D.

    Teams would then be forced to carry more D linemen and the Special Teams players would go away...

    The beauty of NFL football is the incredible balance of the game. It is VERY difficult for a team to dominate in only one aspect of the game while stink in the other two and still be successful.

    This would throw that all out of whack and to say that you KNOW that when the dust settles, we'd still have a watchable game is an outright lie. Why mess with something awesome??

    Obviously you didnt put much thought into it. 4th and 15 on their own 30 who would go for that?? So it would be a punt. The 3 rd element you speak of would be increased in importance. Since moving the kick off up it created a non play more than half the time.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    6,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BillsLunaticEZE View Post
    This is just an awful idea, if your going to eliminate the kickoff just have the other team start off at the 20.
    Precisely......................on both accounts!

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,239

    Default

    More things can happen on a punt then a kickoff. Puts more importance on return man, gunners. How bout a blocked punt down by a point with under a min??? Essentially adds elements never in place before and makes special teams alot more important while maintaining player saftey.

    Sounds odd at first but thinking about it makes more sense.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,629

    Default

    For the time big How could bills fans not like this idea. We always have great punt returners. Instead of a dead play where kickers boot it through the end zone now one of our guys actually gets to return the ball.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    15,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBMB1 View Post
    Actually everything is still there with punts...
    The other team scores to take the lead with one minute left. You're team is just given the ball at the 20 yard line. No one is punting in this scenario. I'd still like to see a kickoff there.

    (courtesy of DIESEL-USMC)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •