Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hope we lose out for Todd Blackledge!

Default I hope we lose out for Todd Blackledge!

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Name ring a bell? It should... he was one of 6 QBs drafted in the first round of the most famous draft class ever of 1983. In fact, he was the 2nd QB drafted at #7 by the Kansas City Chiefs; drafted before 3 other QBs who went to a combined 6 Super Bowls (and won none of them... unfortunately).

Draft order for 1983 went... #1 John Elway, #7 Todd Blackledge, #14 Jim Kelly #15 Rich Eason, #24 Ken Obrien, #27 Dan Marino. It's worthy noting that John Elway was drafted by the Baltimore Colts, not the Denver Broncos.

Everyone wishing for a losing season... give it a rest. OBD needs to draft a QB, ideally in the first round, maybe the 2nd. It's a crap shoot if you get a very good QB in any draft and a prayer if you get an elite one. Dan Marino was the last QB drafted in that 1st round and (as much as I really really really hate saying this) he was the best pure QB of the bunch. Before Elway's spectacular end to his career (the 2 Super Bowls are undeniable, even if Shanny figured out what Chan can't and just pounded the rock for the most part), most people would probably have put him #3 behind Marino AND Kelly.

We need to win and let the chips fall where they may. I actually think we have a good front office together with Nix and Whaley; notice all the guys we've picked up lately have been former Pittsburgh draft choices? I want a QB, but with our drafting history, whoever we draft in the first round at whatever spot could be a bust. Nix's draft picks seem to be coming around as of late, but I don't want to move up another few draft spots for Todd Blackledge when we could manage to sneak into the playoffs, win a game, and STILL draft at #27 to pick up Dan Marino *bleh* ... sorry I just threw up in my mouth a little saying that name.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this draft class won't even come close to the 83 draft class.
    “The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.” -William Ward

Quote Originally Posted by AWorldOfPain View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this draft class won't even come close to the 83 draft class.
    And...? The best QB in likely the greatest draft class in history was the 6th QB drafted, at #27. Was I comparing that draft class to the 2013 draft class? You seemed to miss the point.

Quote Originally Posted by transplantbillsfan View Post
    Name ring a bell? It should... he was one of 6 QBs drafted in the first round of the most famous draft class ever of 1983. In fact, he was the 2nd QB drafted at #7 by the Kansas City Chiefs; drafted before 3 other QBs who went to a combined 6 Super Bowls (and won none of them... unfortunately).

Draft order for 1983 went... #1 John Elway, #7 Todd Blackledge, #14 Jim Kelly #15 Rich Eason, #24 Ken Obrien, #27 Dan Marino. It's worthy noting that John Elway was drafted by the Baltimore Colts, not the Denver Broncos.

So, what you're saying is - see if I got this right - it wouldn't have been a good idea to lose out because out of the six QBs drafted in the first round that year, only three made the Hall of Fame, and those odds aren't high enough for you?

Seriously?

The team should never try to lose out - duh! - but fans hoping to lose out for a 50% shot at a Hall of Famer, that makes total sense.

And...? The best QB in likely the greatest draft class in history was the 6th QB drafted, at #27. Was I comparing that draft class to the 2013 draft class? You seemed to miss the point.

Perhaps you didn't put it very well. More likely from the evidence you presented, the opposite view makes more sense than yours does.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurman#1 View Post
    So, what you're saying is - see if I got this right - it wouldn't have been a good idea to lose out because out of the six QBs drafted in the first round that year, only three made the Hall of Fame, and those odds aren't high enough for you?
    No... I'm saying that the best QB in that draft class was drafted last in the 1st round, to a playoff team. The 2nd best QB in the draft class was drafted by a team that found him so important that they traded him. And the 3rd best QB in that draft class wasn't even deemed worthy of their first pick.

Losing out is not the answer (glad you agree with that, at least) since elite QBs are so hit or miss and can be had later in the first round.

Perhaps you didn't put it very well. More likely from the evidence you presented, the opposite view makes more sense than yours does.
    Nope. As far as I know wherever we fall at the end of this year, playoffs or 5-11, we'll still be drafting somewhere in the first round... so I actually think the argument makes perfect sense.

I hope one day intelligence greets you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nishua View Post
    I hope one day intelligence greets you.
    LMAO that was a good slam

I think the original poster really means we should trade all of early round picks in an attempt to corner the market on sixth round picks, because that is the round Tom Brady went in. By the OP's single data point logic, Tom Brady going in the 6th proves that 6th round QB's have the same potential to be a Hall of Famer' as early first round QB's.

It will be complicated, but I think if the Bills trade their first round back to some for a first and second, and then trade that first for a second and third and the second for a third and fourth, it will only take 5 transactions (2 ^ 5) to get all thirty two round 6th round picks. Then we just pick every remaining QB in the draft and test them out in spring training. We repeat this process each year until we get the next Tom Brady.
    Its only OTA's
    Its only mini-camp
    Its only training camp
    Its only preseason
    Its only week 1, its a 16 week season.
    But if the Bills don't beat the Dolphins week 2, batten down the hatches, it will get ugly.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

Quote Originally Posted by jrb16915 View Post
    I think the original poster really means we should trade all of early round picks in an attempt to corner the market on sixth round picks, because that is the round Tom Brady went in. By the OP's single data point logic, Tom Brady going in the 6th proves that 6th round QB's have the same potential to be a Hall of Famer' as early first round QB's.

It will be complicated, but I think if the Bills trade their first round back to some for a first and second, and then trade that first for a second and third and the second for a third and fourth, it will only take 5 transactions (2 ^ 5) to get all thirty two round 6th round picks. Then we just pick every remaining QB in the draft and test them out in spring training. We repeat this process each year until we get the next Tom Brady.
    Wow the doom and gloom party trying to make a funny post because the meaning of the original post completely flew over their head.

Everyone wishing for a losing season... give it a rest. OBD needs to draft a QB, ideally in the first round, maybe the 2nd. It's a crap shoot if you get a very good QB in any draft and a prayer if you get an elite one. Dan Marino was the last QB drafted in that 1st round and (as much as I really really really hate saying this) he was the best pure QB of the bunch. Before Elway's spectacular end to his career (the 2 Super Bowls are undeniable, even if Shanny figured out what Chan can't and just pounded the rock for the most part), most people would probably have put him #3 behind Marino AND Kelly.

We need to win and let the chips fall where they may. I actually think we have a good front office together with Nix and Whaley; notice all the guys we've picked up lately have been former Pittsburgh draft choices? I want a QB, but with our drafting history, whoever we draft in the first round at whatever spot could be a bust. Nix's draft picks seem to be coming around as of late, but I don't want to move up another few draft spots for Todd Blackledge when we could manage to sneak into the playoffs, win a game, and STILL draft at #27 to pick up Dan Marino *bleh* ... sorry I just threw up in my mouth a little saying that name.

GO BILLS!!!
    Don't worry son, I got your back. I see the point of your post. Talent at the QB position can be had anywhere. Hoping to lose out to have a chance at Geno Smith or Matt Barkley is potentially a waste of hope. Someone like Nassib or Dysert has just as much chance at being an elite QB, and they could be had in the 2nd round or later.
    I think BBMB members are piling up on you because the odds of an elite QB are much higher in the first 10 picks or so than in later picks. I don't know the stats precisely, if I ever have time I may compile them. Briefly, of the top 10 (only because I don't have time to look further) by QB rating currently on NFL.com stats line:
    Rodgers - mid 1st
    RGIII - 2nd overall
    Alex Smith - 1st overall
    P. Manning - 1st overall
    Brady - 6th
    Roethlisberger - mid 1st
    Wilson - 2nd
    Ryan - mid 1st
    Schaub - 3rd
    Brees - early 2nd
    Not necessarily the best QBs in the league, but at least by this stat, early to mid-1sts seem to have more representation. So we all have good points!
    Now let's play nice because we have enough issues in our football lives as Bills fans.
    People will pay a lot to be entertained.

Every AFC East team drafted a QB in the 1st round that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspin911 View Post
    Rodgers - mid 1st (24th)
    RGIII - 2nd overall
    Alex Smith - 1st overall
    P. Manning - 1st overall
    Brady - 6th round
    Roethlisberger - mid 1st
    Wilson - 2nd (Actually 3rd round)
    Ryan - mid 1st (Actually 2nd overall)
    Schaub - 3rd
    Brees - early 2nd
    Not necessarily the best QBs in the league, but at least by this stat, early to mid-1sts seem to have more representation.
    made some fixes for ya

Quote Originally Posted by Clemfield2622 View Post
    made some fixes for ya
    Thanks. They were all done from memory...
    People will pay a lot to be entertained.

who can forget the great Rich Eason
    I love the smell of charcoal in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by stuvian View Post
    who can forget the great Rich Eason
    hahah didnt catch that the first time.....who the heck is Rich Eason? Is he confused with Rich Eisen?

Quote Originally Posted by Clemfield2622 View Post
    hahah didnt catch that the first time.....who the heck is Rich Eason? Is he confused with Rich Eisen?
    I think he meant Tony Eason
    I love the smell of charcoal in the morning.

The QBs this year are hard to judge anyways. The top two have such high bust potential....no sure things this year.

Seriously?

The team should never try to lose out - duh! - but fans hoping to lose out for a 50% shot at a Hall of Famer, that makes total sense.
    Uh, the only one who missed this point is you. Imagine that.

What he is saying is that people want us to lose out because they think the only good quarterbacks come within the first 5-10 picks of the first round, which isn't true. He's saying that Dan Marino was taken late in the first round and Miami got their franchise guy for 15 years and they didn't lose out. There have been other drafts in the past where teams have taken a quarterback late in the first round and he's turned out to be pretty **** good. So people who want us to lose out just so we can grab a "franchise" quarterback need to understand that they don't just come early in the draft.

Get it now, sweetie?
    **Doug Whaley Supporter**