Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A name you can trust....PERRY FEWELL

Default A name you can trust....PERRY FEWELL

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Go out and get a talented guy thats never EVER got a sniff at a real head coaching gig, I gotta site racism as a reason this guy doesnt have a HC job yet.

But as interm coach, he played the lack luster talent up and ran a solid well thought out game plan.

IF Perry gets the job, and if I had anything to say about it I'd be begging him to come back to buffalo, we will immediately contend with N.E. for the east. Not a single doubt in my mind.

Fewell seems to be a name that comes up a lot lately. It likely would have been a better move to retain him than bring in Chan.

However, I was never for keeping him back then. Mainly because I don't think you promote a guy who is terrible at his former job. The defense under Fewell was historically bad, I just couldn't see giving him a HC job after that.

He has done pretty well for the Giants, so maybe he is getting better, I don't know. Fair or not, I just can't get past how bad a DC he was when he was in Buffalo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bills View Post
    Manning won the National Championship against Auburn, try again.

1) i dont want anyone who was around for the jauron regime, same for chan, in fact, i dont want anyone who has been associated with the bills during the last 13 years of crap.
    2) i cant help but think coaching in ny, with that d-line, that most def coord. could be successful there....

Quote Originally Posted by BillsFanHoustonTX View Post
    However, I was never for keeping him back then. Mainly because I don't think you promote a guy who is terrible at his former job. The defense under Fewell was historically bad, I just couldn't see giving him a HC job after that.
    Are you serious? We couldn't even score back then. Do you remember how often we would go on 6-8 quarter streaks with no offensive TD's? Three and outs were more common than first downs. The defense was on the field 40 minutes a game and had to consistently defend short fields at that...His success in NY shows tells you everything you need to know.

Plus if I remember correctly, he won as many games as an interim coach as Dick did with less games to do it in...
    The Bills are THE ONLY TEAM IN NFL HISTORY to bench their healthy starting quarterback to open the playoffs! WE HAVEN'T MADE THE PLAYOFFS SINCE!

FLUTIE: Please forgive Ralphie and lift the curse!!!!!

When you say never ever got a sniff, are you disregarding his actual head coaching gig as our interim head coach a few years ago?

Truthfully, I thought the guy should have been hired anyway. I think he'll be a good NFL coach when he gets a shot elsewhere.

He would never come back. Ever!

he definitely would be an upgrade but that ship has sailed and its brian billick time !

Quote Originally Posted by StHustle View Post
    Are you serious? We couldn't even score back then. Do you remember how often we would go on 6-8 quarter streaks with no offensive TD's? Three and outs were more common than first downs. The defense was on the field 40 minutes a game and had to consistently defend short fields at that...His success in NY shows tells you everything you need to know.

Plus if I remember correctly, he won as many games as an interim coach as Dick did with less games to do it in...
    Yes I'm serious. Fine we couldn't score back then. We also could not stop the run. We couldn't stop the run in the first quarter, the first half, or any part of the game. You can blame that on them being tired, but they were also terrible from the get go.

Buffalo Bills defense rank vs the run while Fewell was DC

Not a ringing endorsement. But then again, by your estimation the guy was bad at doing his job, because the offense couldn't score. That is why I didn't want him, make all the excuses you want for him, but he was asked to do something with the defense and he couldn't. And this was just the Run rankings, our total defense was much worse rankings during that time.

Also, while the Time of Possesion was bad, it wasn't 40 minutes for the opposing team. Bills time of possesion for that era was 28:04, 28:51, 30:04, and 28:01. So, I guess the extra 2 minutes or so the defense was on the field played a huge part. It is also important to note that the teams that led in time of possesion during that time frame were always in the 32 minute mark. So, lets not go crazy exaggerating or anything.
    Last edited by BillsFanHoustonTX; 12-12-2012 at 03:12 PM.

I hate ideas like this. Exactly how does he fix a team that is struggling on offense? People need to stop with the defensive minded coaches.

The D has been addressed and seems to be getting better. They weren't just automatically going to be awesome this season like a lot of people expected. They are turning into a good unit though. Sure they still need some components that would help them become even better, but they aren't the total detriment that the O has become. And a defensive coach isn't going to fix the offensive philosophy.

The defense wasn't even that bad under Juron, we just sucked cause we couldnt move the ball and the offensive coaching was cruddy. We gave up tons of yards but teams kicked a lot more field goals against us then scoring touchdowns.

Keep in mind that.
    -Fewells system was not the tampa cover 2. He likes to apply pressure with exotic blitzes as seen in NY. The Bills defense bent a lot under fewell but it certainly did not break, his under-talented, under-sized players were coached exceptionally well in the tampa cover 2.

-For those of you who remember he coached the hell out of his players when he was interim coach. All i remember about that game was his pumping his fist and getting all fired up, thats that Jim Harbuagh fire we need.

-We have to be realistic, we are BUFFALO no talented name like a Cowher or Gruden would make there return to BUFFALO. We need to go out and get the next great thing at the ground level......Fewell is that guy, I'd seriously bet my pinky finger he'd lead us to the play offs, with the CURRENT staff.

-Perry did

Quote Originally Posted by Billzfan51 View Post
    I hate ideas like this. Exactly how does he fix a team that is struggling on offense? People need to stop with the defensive minded coaches.

The D has been addressed and seems to be getting better. They weren't just automatically going to be awesome this season like a lot of people expected. They are turning into a good unit though. Sure they still need some components that would help them become even better, but they aren't the total detriment that the O has become. And a defensive coach isn't going to fix the offensive philosophy.
    Our defense is fixed? I dont think I've ever seen a defense allow more points than this one in a season. The team is built fairly simple, ride the back of your backs and throw as little as possible and wed be in the play off hunt now in my imo.

Quote Originally Posted by BUFF BANDIT View Post
    he definitely would be an upgrade but that ship has sailed and its brian billick time !
    Oh wow, Brian Billick has to convince his wife that "Honey we can spend our cushy retirement years in Buffalo." Good luck with that.

Billick would take S.D., Miami, Dallas, but not buffalo, same with the rest of them.

Yes I'm serious. Fine we couldn't score back then. We also could not stop the run. We couldn't stop the run in the first quarter, the first half, or any part of the game. You can blame that on them being tired, but they were also terrible from the get go.

Not a ringing endorsement. But then again, by your estimation the guy was bad at doing his job, because the offense couldn't score. That is why I didn't want him, make all the excuses you want for him, but he was asked to do something with the defense and he couldn't. And this was just the Run rankings, our total defense was much worse rankings during that time.

I also recall us having one of the best red zone defenses in the league. I get your point but the man now has a superbowl ring alongside another former coordinator for Buffalo who caught alot of flack, Kevin Gilbride. A coordinator can't do his best work under a sorry HC....
    The Bills are THE ONLY TEAM IN NFL HISTORY to bench their healthy starting quarterback to open the playoffs! WE HAVEN'T MADE THE PLAYOFFS SINCE!

FLUTIE: Please forgive Ralphie and lift the curse!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsYourPoint View Post
    Our defense is fixed? I dont think I've ever seen a defense allow more points than this one in a season. The team is built fairly simple, ride the back of your backs and throw as little as possible and wed be in the play off hunt now in my imo.
    Where do I say the D is fixed. They addressed the talent level of the D. I also said sure they still need some components that would help them become even better. I also said that they weren't going to instantly be a good D and that they needed to come together. I swear the reading and comprehension of these boards is ridiculous.

Also like how you totally ignore my main point, that the O is worse than the D at this stage of the season and a defensive minded coach isn't going to fix that train wreck.

Also, while the Time of Possesion was bad, it wasn't 40 minutes for the opposing team. Bills time of possesion for that era was 28:04, 28:51, 30:04, and 28:01. So, I guess the extra 2 minutes or so the defense was on the field played a huge part. It is also important to note that the teams that led in time of possesion during that time frame were always in the 32 minute mark. So, lets not go crazy exaggerating or anything.
    That rank is against yards, not points I believe, thats how the system Juron put in works. Indy also ran the cover 2 and had similar results, lots of yards, not a lot of points.

Quote Originally Posted by Billzfan51 View Post
    Where do I say the D is fixed. They addressed the talent level of the D. I also said sure they still need some components that would help them become even better. I also said that they weren't going to instantly be a good D and that they needed to come together. I swear the reading and comprehension of these boards is ridiculous.

Also like how you totally ignore my main point, that the O is worse than the D at this stage of the season and a defensive minded coach isn't going to fix that train wreck.
    The D is better than the O because Gaily is part ******ed and extremely stubborn on playing a game of dink and dunk. He is a pass first coach with FITZPATRICK as a quarterback, we should have run the ball 40 times a game and thrown as lil as possible. Fewell will run a better offense than Gaily would and its not even close. Its clear as day we should have been playing ball control clock management football all season and stuffing the ball in Spillers and Fjax face for 4 quarters.

i believe fewell recognizes this and gives his player the best chance to win week in and week out.

Right now they are giving up 27.1 points per game which is about 5 points more than the worst year Fewell had. As for your statement about you don't think you have seen a defense allow more point than this one in a season. You do realize that four teams in the NFL have given up more points than the Bills this year and the Chiefs are currently tied with us.

That rank is against yards, not points I believe, thats how the system Juron put in works. Indy also ran the cover 2 and had similar results, lots of yards, not a lot of points.
    Yes that is yards. Points were rankings of anywhere from 15 to 19. We were in the middle of the pack those years. It doesn't change the fact that we couldn't stop the run to save our lives. You can call it bend don't break or whatever you want, but those defenses were terrible.

Right now they are giving up 27.1 points per game which is about 5 points more than the worst year Fewell had. As for your statement about you don't think you have seen a defense allow more point than this one in a season. You do realize that four teams in the NFL have given up more points than the Bills this year and the Chiefs are currently tied with us.
    You realize that the Bills cushy schedule playing incompetent offenses week in and week out is bringing that number severely down. If we played the pats on sunday we're getting lit up again. Hell this defense gave up how many points to the Jets AND Cards ?!

Oh wow, Brian Billick has to convince his wife that "Honey we can spend our cushy retirement years in Buffalo." Good luck with that.

Billick would take S.D., Miami, Dallas, but not buffalo, same with the rest of them.
    I don't want Billick, but don't you remember him begging the Bills on National TV that he wanted the job before Chan was hired?