Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bills got hosed in Marshawn trade

Thumbs down Bills got hosed in Marshawn trade

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Marshawn Lynch for Tank Carder (WHO?!) and Chris Hairston.....

in retrospect, the Bills got the short end of that trade big time. Marshawn has kept out of trouble since the trade and also had huge production for the Seahawks.

in retrospect, we should have traded Fred for whatever we could have gotten and instead kept Lynch and Spiller. That would have been sick.

It hurts for sure, but we have no way of knowing if Marshawn would have stayed out of trouble here. h

The guy wanted to leave...end of story.

Yeah it didn't work out value wise. But running backs aren't a hard position to draft and they never bring a lot of value in trades.

Marshawn wanted out of here and he hadn't matured yet when he was here. Its a shame, but I am fine with the Jackson Spiller combo other than Gailey not playing spiller.

Fred would have even got less value and who knows if Marshawn would have stepped it into high gear if he was still here...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus Lizard View Post
    It hurts for sure, but we have no way of knowing if Marshawn would have stayed out of trouble here. h
    he didn't do anything THAT bad that would have made me trade him.

- a hit and run where he was probably (no evidence) drunk and where the pedestrian was (a) not seriously injured, and (b) drunk

- had unregistered guns

looking back, those things aren't so bad. but i guess that's why teams like the Seahawks go to the playoffs and the Bills are perennial basement dwellers.

It would have been the same production. Before Fred got hurt, he was arguably an MVP candidate. Lynch's first year with Seattle, he averaged 3.5 yards per carry. Regardless of who we kept between Lynch and Jackson, Spiller still would be under utilized. It might be better to have kept Jackson because he's been hurt the last two years and we've been able to see Spiller more.
    SIGNATURE
    Quote Originally Posted by muffman View Post
    Arent you the guy who said the Bills drafted EJ Manuel so they could "sell him in the americas, africa and the middle east?"
    LMAO....
    Quote Originally Posted by TAPITSB View Post
    No I said if he becomes a star he has more international AD ability than Tom Brady. I was talking about how the black athlete is marketed internationally.
    Brady isn't Manuel and as stated the media tends to take a man like Manuel because they can sell him in all of the America's and Africa and the Middle East and not just in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by hausetheboss View Post
    The guy wanted to leave...end of story.
    how do we know this? i never read that or saw that anywhere

Unfortunately this is the NFL and not Madden. In Madden it is a dumb trade because players don't get into trouble on or off the field on Xbox. At the end of the day, yes we got hosed, but Marshawn needed a change of scenery badly.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaid View Post
    It would have been the same production. Before Fred got hurt, he was arguably an MVP candidate. Lynch's first year with Seattle, he averaged 3.5 yards per carry. Regardless of who we kept between Lynch and Jackson, Spiller still would be under utilized. It might be better to have kept Jackson because he's been hurt the last two years and we've been able to see Spiller more.
    this is a good way of looking at it. but maybe we shouldn't have drafted Spiller? there were many pro-bowlers drafted after him including Earl Thomas, Jason Pierre-Paul, J Gresham, and Devin McCourty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bills_Chick View Post
    how do we know this? i never read that or saw that anywhere
    Marshawn admitted that he wouldn't even and go out and stretch in pregame...
    SIGNATURE
    Arent you the guy who said the Bills drafted EJ Manuel so they could "sell him in the americas, africa and the middle east?"
    LMAO....
    No I said if he becomes a star he has more international AD ability than Tom Brady. I was talking about how the black athlete is marketed internationally.
    Brady isn't Manuel and as stated the media tends to take a man like Manuel because they can sell him in all of the America's and Africa and the Middle East and not just in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by billsfan589 View Post
    Unfortunately this is the NFL and not Madden. In Madden it is a dumb trade because players don't get into trouble on or off the field on Xbox. At the end of the day, yes we got hosed, but Marshawn needed a change of scenery badly.
    IDK maybe he just needed the right coach.

Marshawn admitted that he wouldn't even and go out and stretch in pregame...
    i guess i don't remember this stuff...

why? cause he wanted a trade? didn't like the coach? didn't like that we had so many RBs (which was our fault)?

what was the problem

this is a good way of looking at it. but maybe we shouldn't have drafted Spiller? there were many pro-bowlers drafted after him including Earl Thomas, Jason Pierre-Paul, J Gresham, and Devin McCourty.
    Seeing what Spiller can do...I'm glad we did draft him. The other player that this board was clamoring about was Bulaga who I believe is struggling in GB.

If we kept Lynch who is more durable than Jackson....Spiller would have never seen the ball.
    SIGNATURE
    LMAO....

At the time of the trade, Fred was the better player even when Lynch was motivated. He showed up at camp overweight, disinterested and with two strikes against him as far as a suspension goes. I'm still not mad we traded him. Just mad we used a high 1st Rounder on him in the first place.
    I am not a number, I am a free robot.

Seeing what Spiller can do...I'm glad we did draft him. The other player that this board was clamoring about was Bulaga who I believe is struggling in GB.

If we kept Lynch who is more durable than Jackson....Spiller would have never seen the ball.
    its a weird alternate universe to think about.

we could have Lynch and Jackson, and Jason Pierre Paul.

or Earl Thomas.

IDK its a wash IMO. Spiller is awesome, but, like you said we don't use him enough.

i guess i don't remember this stuff...

why? cause he wanted a trade? didn't like the coach? didn't like that we had so many RBs (which was our fault)?

what was the problem
    I just tried to look up that quote but couldn't find it. It was him basically saying he regained his motivation in Seattle and loved playing football again...mentioned he didn't have the motivation to stretch towards the end in Buffalo. I think, not for sure, think it had to do with the 3 RB rotation...sounded like he just said "F...It, I don't care anymore".
    SIGNATURE
    LMAO....

There's no question we shouldn't have drafted Spiller. Hey, I like him alot but on a rebuilding team, the absolute last position you draft in the first round is a RB. Especially when you are already carrying a decent 1st round RB, this was even a worse decision than Donahoe's drafting McGahee when we had Henry already and were perhaps only 1-2 pieces away from being a playoff team.

Nix just got distracted by a shiny new toy, instead of trying to build according to a vision.
    justRN: "They carted off Freddies ACL after he ripped it out for being weak."

Mark Asper: "He'd come smashing in there and make a big play and he has no emotion. He just goes back to the defensive huddle, and we had to trash talk for him. Our big line was 'Kiko Smash.' "#TheLegendOfKikoAlonzo

www.billievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by kanatablues View Post
    There's no question we shouldn't have drafted Spiller. Hey, I like him alot but on a rebuilding team, the absolute last position you draft in the first round is a RB. Especially when you are already carrying a decent 1st round RB, this was even a worse decision than Donahoe's drafting McGahee when we had Henry already and were perhaps only 1-2 pieces away from being a playoff team.

Nix just got distracted by a shiny new toy, instead of trying to build according to a vision.
    FAR too many 1st round RBs drafted by this organization over the past several years. McGahee, Lynch, Spiller... enough already with the RBs!
    I am not a number, I am a free robot.

Quote Originally Posted by kanatablues View Post

see i think i'm with you on this one. we probably should have drafted a defensive player. we draft way too many first round RBs as a franchise. it hasn't improved things. Spiller is awesome, but we already had RBs that were good enough.

Let's not forget that the Marshawn trade happened AFTER we selected Spiller (making his value lower and losing us leverage).. Spiller was probably the best available at the time but guys selected after us within the next 10 picks included Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati OL SF, Jason Pierre-Paul DE NYG, Earl Thomas S Sea, and Brandon Graham DE/OLB Phi (would have been the best fit for the 3-4 system we were trying to implement). Tebow, Dez Bryant, and Demaryius Thomas were all selected in the 20s of that draft as well.