Thread: What the Senior Bowl can tell you about the Bills future QB (ex.Cousins & Wilson)

throwback What the Senior Bowl can tell you about the Bills future QB (ex.Cousins & Wilson)

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

If you don't normally follow the Senior Bowl workouts, it is a great opportunity to evaluate QBs:

FLASHBACK NOTES on RUSSELL WILSON and KIRK COUSINS

Wilson threw for over 11,000 yards with 109 touchdowns and only 30 interceptions during his time with the North Carolina State Wolfpack and Wisconsin Badgers.

He demonstrated great decision making, a strong, accurate arm, quick delivery and tremendous scrambling ability in his illustrious collegiate career.

The only knock on Wilson—and it's a major one—is his lack of ideal NFL quarterback height.

He measured a shade below 5'11'' at the Senior Bowl earlier this week.

However, once Wilson put the pads on and stepped on the field, he impressed nearly all the draft experts and scouting onlookers.

("When it's all said and done, this quarterback might be the best at the 2012 Senior Bowl. Play-maker!").

Kirk Cousins – Michigan State: Cousins’ arm strength is a plus for sure. He has a a very slight wind-up, but the ball jumps out of his hands. After struggling to put some air under some of his deep throws early on in the one-on-one drills, he started to do a better job of dropping it in the basket later on. Cousins looks the part and has wowed NFL teams in his interviews from a character standpoint.

....or just pull out the darts.....

It is a joke people still believe in Nix. How can people still want him as the g.m. is mind boggling. My dad can not stand the Bills. He just likes college ball. He told me before Kaepernick was taken the Bills should have taken him in the draft. Instead i believe they take A. Williams. Same thing with A. Dalton they take A. Williams. Again i can not stand B. Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by GoomzyLoveJoyBuffalo View Post
    It is a joke people still believe in Nix. How can people still want him as the g.m. is mind boggling. My dad can not stand the Bills. He just likes college ball. He told me before Kaepernick was taken the Bills should have taken him in the draft. Instead i believe they take A. Williams. Same thing with A. Dalton they take A. Williams. Again i can not stand B. Nix.
    We are stuck with Buddy for now.

He just needs to open his twitter account on draft day and listen to us. We would not have taken no 'stinkin Corner in the 2nd round. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by GoomzyLoveJoyBuffalo View Post
    Again, he could have drafted more QB busts than QB's doing well. We would be more upset if he drafted a QB that wasnt Dalton, Kaepernick, or WIlson.

Mock Draft:
    1st-Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
    2nd-Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State
    3rd-Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee
    4th-Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana
    5th-Walt Aikens, CB, Liberty
    6th-Max Bullough, LB, Michigan State
    7th-Kadeem Edwards, OG, Tennessee State

Quote Originally Posted by intimidatortj View Post
    If you don't normally follow the Senior Bowl workouts, it is a great opportunity to evaluate QBs:

FLASHBACK NOTES on RUSSELL WILSON and KIRK COUSINS

Wilson threw for over 11,000 yards with 109 touchdowns and only 30 interceptions during his time with the North Carolina State Wolfpack and Wisconsin Badgers.

He demonstrated great decision making, a strong, accurate arm, quick delivery and tremendous scrambling ability in his illustrious collegiate career.

The only knock on Wilson—and it's a major one—is his lack of ideal NFL quarterback height.

He measured a shade below 5'11'' at the Senior Bowl earlier this week.

However, once Wilson put the pads on and stepped on the field, he impressed nearly all the draft experts and scouting onlookers.

("When it's all said and done, this quarterback might be the best at the 2012 Senior Bowl. Play-maker!").

Kirk Cousins – Michigan State: Cousins’ arm strength is a plus for sure. He has a a very slight wind-up, but the ball jumps out of his hands. After struggling to put some air under some of his deep throws early on in the one-on-one drills, he started to do a better job of dropping it in the basket later on. Cousins looks the part and has wowed NFL teams in his interviews from a character standpoint.

....or just pull out the darts.....
    When Chan Gailey coached the 2011 Senior Bowl, the Bills supposedly really liked Christian Ponder. The idea was that he would be drafted by us in the 2nd. Of course, the lockout inflated his value and he was drafted two spots outside of the top 10. It doesn't seem like the Bills value QBs as much as other teams.

It seems like they learn their lessons slowly, the hard way. Buddy Nix didn't put a premium on free agents until he realized that he needed them, then sold the farm for Mario. Same thing here, he thought he could do his own thing on qb and has now realized that he can't; the old ways are gone.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1237006_417793431666201_616460147_n.jpg
    14 years. Our Playoff drought has entered puberty.

Quote Originally Posted by intimidatortj View Post
    We are stuck with Buddy for now.

He just needs to open his twitter account on draft day and listen to us. We would not have taken no 'stinkin Corner in the 2nd round. LOL.
    LMAO yeah, if he "opened his twitter account and listened to us," we'd have Blaine Gabbert as our QB. It's bad right now, but with the fans running the team, we'd be 0-14.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBills4Life View Post
    Again, he could have drafted more QB busts than QB's doing well. We would be more upset if he drafted a QB that wasnt Dalton, Kaepernick, or WIlson.
    ....in the last 2 years there have been very few qb busts in the 1st 4 rounds....maybe Ponder or Gabbert types, but qb's like Locker, Dalton, Kaepernick, Mallett, Wilson or Cousins would've been our future over the Harvard Dud.....Nix now knows he's in trouble and as far as I'm concerned he better draft 2 qbs this april.....
    1. Mike Evans / WR / Texas A&M
    2. Austin Seferian-Jenkins / TE / Washington
    3. Juwuan James / OT / Tenn.
    4. Shayne Skov / ILB / Stanford
    5. Cassius Marsh / DE / UCLA
    7. Logan Thomas / QB / Virginia Tech

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and conveniences, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy ". Martin Luther King

I still think Mallet will be great in the League, I wanted him more than anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by UTBILLSFAN22 View Post
    LMAO yeah, if he "opened his twitter account and listened to us," we'd have Blaine Gabbert as our QB. It's bad right now, but with the fans running the team, we'd be 0-14.
    I completely agree, 200%.

Fans don't need to be picking draft picks, but the GM needs to do a better job of evaluating team needs and figuring out what the market is like for those areas. Not to mention, getting rid of crap coaches.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1237006_417793431666201_616460147_n.jpg
    14 years. Our Playoff drought has entered puberty.

Gailey would break all qb's

Would be a great time to bring in a QB now and I'm fairly certain we're going QB high this year. I just hope it's the right guy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWien View Post
    When Chan Gailey coached the 2011 Senior Bowl, the Bills supposedly really liked Christian Ponder. The idea was that he would be drafted by us in the 2nd. Of course, the lockout inflated his value and he was drafted two spots outside of the top 10. It doesn't seem like the Bills value QBs as much as other teams.

It seems like they learn their lessons slowly, the hard way. Buddy Nix didn't put a premium on free agents until he realized that he needed them, then sold the farm for Mario. Same thing here, he thought he could do his own thing on qb and has now realized that he can't; the old ways are gone.

Hope you're right about this.

We're going nowhere without a QB. But it's got to be the right one. And identifying one correctly and watching someone pick him earlier is of no more use than incorrectly evaluating him as a flop.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBills4Life View Post
    The sad reality is that our odds of drafting a QB this April that is better than Ryan Fitzpatrick is not a 100% guarantee.
    We could end up with Brian Brohm 2.0. Or, JP Losman 2.0.

If you are drafting in the Top 2, yes you will probably get a QB that will be successful. But even then it is not a guarantee.

We should prepare ourselves that the QB drafted by Buddy Nix in April 2013 may not walk on the field as a rookie and be the next Andrew Luck. He may be the next Blaine Gabbert. Or, the next Jimmy Clausen.

We should draft two QBs this year, one next year and maybe another the year after that.
    2014 Mock Draft

Trade down

After trading back --> CB Kyle Fuller
    2a) LB Ryan Shazier__ 2b) TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins
    3) QB Zach Mettenberger
    4) RB Lache Seastrunk - Baylor
    5) DE Taylor Hart - Oregon
    6) * WR Mike Williams *
    7) S Jestin Love, Central Arkansas

Keep drafting QBs. Fill the pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by UTBILLSFAN22 View Post
    Really? Very very few people on this board wanted Gabbert. I remember a handful of guys out of 100's of active posters.

Nix hasn't valued the position as much and stalled in pulling the trigger. Thinking that what he wanted would still be there. Them days are over. QB is the NFL these days. With the new rookie cap, teams are poised now to draft them a lot quicker than years before. Look at the Redskins. They drafted one in the first round and comeback and drafted another.
    ''You appease (fans) for about three months,'' Nix said. ~ 11/2/2012

Chan Gailey 12/26/2010 - Pass rush would of helped a couple of those. That guy (Tom Brady) stood back there forever and someone finally come open.