Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Defense Has Improved a Great Deal This Year

Default what is it

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Quote Originally Posted by DaBills4Life View Post
    Is it a coincidence that Aaron Williams was back and we got blown out again?
    This was my thonking. Also Kelsay to IR

Quote Originally Posted by Shaw66 View Post
    Chris - Thurman's point is that the defense has improved from the beginning of the season, not from last season. The first half of this season was so bad, now that the defense is playing decently, it's impossible to pull the averages up very far.

I think it's clear that he's correct - the defense IS better than early in the year. The first seven games they had four games where they gave up rushing yardage of 247, 311, 182, 197. Until they gave up 270 to Seattle, their WORST rushing defense game in the second seven games was 118, and that was Arian Foster. They gave up 78 against STeven Jackson and the Rams. They're giving up 100 fewer yards per game in the second half. They're giving up 6 points per game fewer in the second half.

For the people who say they weren't playing any good teams in the second half, they played Houston, New England, Seattle - three playoff teams, and the Colts, who also may make it. But even so, even if the numbers were racked up against lesser teams, that's what good defenses are supposed to do. All the good teams do better against the poorer teams and do less well against other good teams. That's natural.

It's hard to argue with the numbers.
    Is the defense playing better than it did in the begining of the season...even after the disaster that was Seattle???? Yes, but so what!!!

Can this defense make a stop vs a decent team....no!!! Money and draft picks have been invested on the D-Line....and they can't make a stop when it needs to happen. Also, the failure of the defense to cover the read option tells me that the defense has some really stupid football minded players playing LB

The game was lost in Seattle, regardless of how the offense fared, because of the defense. Now, I do believe that the defense can make a turnaround with a few adjustments during the offseason.

I feel the offense is in a huge hole without a QB
    FIRE BUDDY NIX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LTarmy View Post
    Is the defense playing better than it did in the begining of the season...even after the disaster that was Seattle???? Yes, but so what!!!

Can this defense make a stop vs a decent team....no!!! Money and draft picks have been invested on the D-Line....and they can't make a stop when it needs to happen. Also, the failure of the defense to cover the read option tells me that the defense has some really stupid football minded players playing LB

The game was lost in Seattle, regardless of how the offense fared, because of the defense. Now, I do believe that the defense can make a turnaround with a few adjustments during the offseason.

I feel the offense is in a huge hole without a QB
    I think they need some quality (or even average) people at LB and CB.

As much as we need a QB, I think our offensive game planning/play calling has just been as suspect. When you have anyone else not named Brees, Rothlisberger, Manning or Brady, you don't throw the ball 30+ times a game and expect to win on a consistent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
    I think they need some quality (or even average) people at LB and CB.

As much as we need a QB, I think our offensive game planning/play calling has just been as suspect. When you have anyone else not named Brees, Rothlisberger, Manning or Brady, you don't throw the ball 30+ times a game and expect to win on a consistent basis.
    Ur preaching to choir about playcalling....to say it has been suspect is being nice, i think the playcalling is the reason why this team lost the Pats, rams and titans games.

LB core is a mess and I'm not drinking the sheppard cool aid, I think he is a liabilty in both run and pass defense. Barnett is the only LB I would consider bringing back if I was the GM.

We all agree that Gilmore is a player, just as much as we can all agree that Williams is a terrible corner. They need another (or two) CB's. I remember reading that Williams was being scouted out of college as a Safety...the Bills need to consider moving him there....he is bad as a CB.
    FIRE BUDDY NIX!!!

Ur preaching to choir about playcalling....to say it has been suspect is being nice, i think the playcalling is the reason why this team lost the Pats, rams and titans games.
    I point people to this years Vikings team. Ponder has sucked and they still may sneak in.

Sure AP is superior talent and is on record pace.

But CJ is having a record year as well and Fred is a proven back in the league.

I don't think anyone can argue that if we pounded the ball, we would be more competitive.

I point people to this years Vikings team. Ponder has sucked and they still may sneak in.

I don't think anyone can argue that if we pounded the ball, we would be more competitive.
    Fraizer takes a beating as a HC, but he is running the ball and taking the ball out of his QB hands, who is having issues. Now, the Vikings most likely won't make a SB run, but like you said, they might get in....and then who knows....they might make a run.

I can't argue your point. Gailey has actually designed some good running plays....and he refuses to run the ball. If the Bills had run the ball more and made that the focus of their attack, with Fitz excuting a more controlled passing game....they might have won the Texans game, and IMO...beat the Colts, Rams and Titans.
    FIRE BUDDY NIX!!!

Fraizer takes a beating as a HC, but he is running the ball and taking the ball out of his QB hands, who is having issues. Now, the Vikings most likely won't make a SB run, but like you said, they might get in....and then who knows....they might make a run.

I can't argue your point. Gailey has actually designed some good running plays....and he refuses to run the ball. If the Bills had run the ball more and made that the focus of their attack, with Fitz excuting a more controlled passing game....they might have won the Texans game, and IMO...beat the Colts, Rams and Titans.

The coaching staff made their gameplan before week 1 and the only thing that would have changed it was an injury to Fitz.

It's nice that CJ came forth as an electric runner, making every play matter, but it wasn't in the annual gameplan for the year to let him be the feature back.

There are coaching staffs with the ability to change their plans as the season progresses, even during halftime.

The Bills aren't capable of this, but they are have a lot of company in this area.

I'm pretty sure the defense would look a lot better if we pounded the ball.