Thread: If GM Tom Heckert became available would he be a good fit in Buffalo?

throwback If GM Tom Heckert became available would he be a good fit in Buffalo?

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Tom Heckert currently is the GM for the Cleveland Browns. The Browns have a brand new owner, so there is the possibility the owner might want to bring in his own guy. Plus it is rumored the new owner wants to take away final roster say from Tom Heckert, which is not what he was promised when the took the job in January 2010.

If you don't know Tom Heckert http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Heckert,_Jr.

he is 45 years old and prior to Cleveland he was with the Eagles from 2001 to 2010. He rose from Director of Player Personnel to General Manager of the Eagles in 2006.

Over the course of Heckert’s 19-year NFL career, the teams with which he has been associated have experienced 14 winning seasons, won eight division titles and made 14 postseason trips, including six Conference Championship game appearances (1992, 2001–04, 2008 seasons), in addition to representing the NFC at Super Bowl XXXIX following the 2004 season.

DISCLAIMER: Buddy is probably not going anywhere, so let's acknowledge this is a Madden football like discussion. Also there are probably reasons to say you don't like the guy but he has been successful in the NFL , has experience as a GM, and, is not eligible to join AARP yet. I think the biggest hurdle is that Ralph Wilson doesn't know him....

Who's our director of player personnel? Maybe he could do that. I wouldn't mind him coming on board as staff but I think we need to stay the course with Nix. Let him swing for a QB before you give up on him.

If Nix doesn't fire Gailey on Dec 31 then I am all for a new GM. While I have liked most of the players he has brought in, part of his job is getting rid of staff/players who hurt the team's chances to succeed and Gailey DEFINATELY does that.
    11/6/12-The day the music died.

Quote Originally Posted by Billzgobowlin View Post
    Who's our director of player personnel? Maybe he could do that. I wouldn't mind him coming on board as staff but I think we need to stay the course with Nix. Let him swing for a QB before you give up on him.
    I think DoPP duties are handled by Whaley? Shared with Nix? Not really sure how the Bills have it structured.

Would Heckert take a "step down" to come to the Bills organization? I would think that would be a tough one. And, if you bring him as DoPP, does that send a message to Whaley that Tom Heckert is now the heir apparent?

Quote Originally Posted by xboomer View Post
    If Nix doesn't fire Gailey on Dec 31 then I am all for a new GM. While I have liked most of the players he has brought in, part of his job is getting rid of staff/players who hurt the team's chances to succeed and Gailey DEFINATELY does that.
    Agreed
    I have tolerated Buddy to this point because he has done a good job of getting talent here (minus getting us a good QB)
    However, if he blatantly slaps the fans in the face by keeping this clown, he needs to go as well
    2013-2014, 2014-2015 Adopt-a-Bill
    The Man from Los Gatos
    #50 Kiko Alonso

I can see Heckert and Reid going to San Diego in a package deal

​A True American Hero

"If ever a man had it all, it would have to be me"

"living is easy with eyes closed"

​"believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear"

nix needs to be replaced immediately for his 3 year failure that he created here !

Russ Brandon may not want him because his butt is still sore from the Jason Peters trade courtesy of Mr. Heckert.

Quote Originally Posted by terdburglar View Post
    Russ Brandon may not want him because his butt is still sore from the Jason Peters trade courtesy of Mr. Heckert.
    I don't think Russ Brandon has a say anymore about who is hired as GM or HC.

But, OBD should recognize the skill of Mr. Heckert based on things like the Jason Peters deal.

I think he has done a passable job in Cleveland.

Organizationally they were complacent under Holmgrem. Their philosophy was to wait for the draft and do little else in the way of trades or free agency.

Arguments for:

Good players on the defense: Haden, Ward, Taylor, Sheard, Wynn, Hughes. Added Frostee Rucker and Jaqua Parker in Free Agency this season.

Players on offense: Josh Gordon (supplemental draft), Mitchell Schwartz, Jordan Cameron, Travis Benjamin.

Arguments against:

Hasn't hit on QB - Colt McCoy, Brandon Weeden

Passed on Julio Jones at #6 to trade down and draft Phil Taylor, a nice player, but not an elite player

How hard is it to draft really well when you pick <8 every season?

Had his share of underachieving/bad picks to - Montario Hardesty, Buster Skrine, Owen Maurecic,

The debate now in Cleveland is - was Richardson worth the #3 pick? He is averaging 3.4 yards per carry

Already had emergency heart surgery once