View Poll Results: What best describes Doug Whaley's contribution to the Bills

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Doug has a big part in the 15-31 debacle since he got here

13 38.24%
  • Doug has had little real responsibility as a Bill

21 61.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whaley's Contribution to the Bills thus far.

Default Whaley's Contribution to the Bills thus far.

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Curious as what people think Doug Whaley has done as a Bill.
    God Bless Jim Kelly and his family.

Who here really knows? We're not in the draft room or in the rooms when they're on the phone with FAs.

He's our next GM

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackDahliaMurder View Post
    Who here really knows? We're not in the draft room or in the rooms when they're on the phone with FAs.
    It seems like many posters are sure he is some sort of genius. It seems like there are only two choices, he has had significant involvement, or he has not. I am not sure why either of those scenarios leads people to think he is a good choice to be the next GM.

since he was director of pro personal, he has brought in players like Urbik, Chandler, Reinhard, Barnett etc.

"If ever a man had it all, it would have to be me"

"living is easy with eyes closed"

Bills mock (subject to change many times by May)

1) trade with Rams again 9 for 13 + 44 Kony Ealy DE
    2) Antonio Richardson OT Tenn.
    2)Troy Niklas TE ND
    3)Jeremiah Attaochu OLB GT
    4) Kenny Ladler DB Vandy
    5)Andrew Jackson MLB W. Kent.
    7)Russell Bodine C,G N. Caro

From the filtered information we get from One Bills Drive, and the few interviews I have seen of Doug Whaley, I really don't know what he has done.

I do know from what he has said that he does a lot of scouting during the fall season. He travels a lot and is going to both college practices during the week and college games on the weekends.

None of us know if he pushed for the Bills to draft John Potter or Mark Asper, or if it was Whaley that pushed to draft Ron Brooks or D. Searcy.
    2014 Mock Draft

Trade down

After trading back --> LB Ryan Shazier
    2a)TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins __ 2b) WR Donte Montcrief
    3) CB Bashaud Breeland - Clemson
    4) RB Lache Seastrunk - Baylor
    5) DE Taylor Hart - Oregon
    6) * WR Mike Williams *
    7) S Jestin Love, Central Arkansas

Keep drafting QBs. Fill the pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by jrb16915 View Post
    It seems like many posters are sure he is some sort of genius. It seems like there are only two choices, he has had significant involvement, or he has not. I am not sure why either of those scenarios leads people to think he is a good choice to be the next GM.
    You listen to the guy and feel like he has a bright future. His role in bringing players to Buffalo, who knows? We could ask that same question of any assistant GM or personnel guy.

His job from what I know has been evaluating practice squads, NFL free agents, waiver claims. The way he talked about Jason Babin made it seem like he is the one that made the call on that. But who really knows what decisions he has made, if any. He also helps scout on the road, seems like this part of his job has been increased the last year.

If his coach is Chan Gailey and his QB is Fitzpatrick then I would not want Whaley taking over.
    Mock Draft:
    1st- Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
    2nd- Ja'Wuan James, OT, Tennessee
    3rd- Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford
    4th- Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
    5th- Preston Brown, LB, Louisville
    7th- Travis Carrie, CB, Ohio

people think he must be awesome because he worked for Pittsburgh.

so did Tom Donahoe, how did that all work out?

I'm just afraid Whaley has been here too long, that he's been poisoned by the way we do business here, and forgot how a team operates that likes to win football games

Quote Originally Posted by Clemfield2622 View Post
    people think he must be awesome because he worked for Pittsburgh.

so did Tom Donahoe, how did that all work out?

I'm just afraid Whaley has been here too long, that he's been poisoned by the way we do business here, and forgot how a team operates that likes to win football games
    No, we like Whaley because of what heard when he was brought here. Also his age, much different then what we are used to. The biggest reason is when he does talk he makes a lot of sense and sounds like a future GM.

Like I have said before, Marc Ross scouted for the Bills for 3-4 years before becoming a front office star for the NY Giants. You recognize young front office talent and promote it, if WHaley wasnt here then we probably go outside the organization. You dont always have to. San Fran promoted a young rising star when they were losing, that guy hired the right coach. Whaley hopefully would go after a coach like him, young and hungry to prove themselves.
    Mock Draft:

It is hard to judge or know what Whaley does...my guess is that he scouts players under the guidance of what Nix and Gailey are looking for. He was considered a rising star with the Steelers and while the wins haven't come, the Bills talent level, IMO, has been improved since he has been here. I don't believe he makes the picks on draft day and he doesn't calls the plays on gamedays....so it is hard to judge what his overall role it.

Here is what I do know, the Bills need to interview canidates outside the FO when they replace Nix. They also need to keep RW quite when talking about the interview process. How Nix got the job was beyond silly. Brandon (marketing guy) and RW (90 year plus owner) only knew Nix and Guy...so that who they interviewed.....that was after they had allowed Levy to be GM....with guidance from Jauron.

While Whaley might be the next rising star, the FO lacks credibilty and really would be rise hiring a consultant or talking with someone outside OBD to find the next GM. If they have a huge process and Whaley rises to the top...so be it. I know hiring from within can occassionally succeed and Whaley didn't cut his teeth under Nix's guidance....he learned from the Steelers.

But to just give Whaley the job isn't wise. My dream would be Polian, with Whaley staying put where he is. A real FO structure might yield a real coach.
    FIRE BUDDY NIX!!!

It is hard to judge or know what Whaley does...my guess is that he scouts players under the guidance of what Nix and Gailey are looking for. He was considered a rising star with the Steelers and while the wins haven't come, the Bills talent level, IMO, has been improved since he has been here. I don't believe he makes the picks on draft day and he doesn't calls the plays on gamedays....so it is hard to judge what his overall role it.

Here is what I do know, the Bills need to interview canidates outside the FO when they replace Nix. They also need to keep RW quite when talking about the interview process. How Nix got the job was beyond silly. Brandon (marketing guy) and RW (90 year plus owner) only knew Nix and Guy...so that who they interviewed.....that was after they had allowed Levy to be GM....with guidance from Jauron.

While Whaley might be the next rising star, the FO lacks credibilty and really would be rise hiring a consultant or talking with someone outside OBD to find the next GM. If they have a huge process and Whaley rises to the top...so be it. I know hiring from within can occassionally succeed and Whaley didn't cut his teeth under Nix's guidance....he learned from the Steelers.

But to just give Whaley the job isn't wise. My dream would be Polian, with Whaley staying put where he is. A real FO structure might yield a real coach.
    FIRE BUDDY NIX!!!

You cannot just give him the job after the way the past 3 years have gone.

Let him interview against other candidates for the job and then hire the best one.

Get the best GM possible. Don't settle because you know the guy...

Quote Originally Posted by LTarmy View Post

I do think the Bills should hire a consulting firm to help out.

Maybe there are other Whaley's out there we dont know about. WHaley just fits the type of GM I want. The guy has been training for this since he graduated from Pitt. He is young, but he has been doing this since 1995 believe it or not. Reminds me so much of Marc Ross, a guy we let leave.
    Mock Draft:

Quote Originally Posted by DaBills4Life View Post
    I do think the Bills should hire a consulting firm to help out.

Maybe there are other Whaley's out there we dont know about. WHaley just fits the type of GM I want. The guy has been training for this since he graduated from Pitt. He is young, but he has been doing this since 1995 believe it or not. Reminds me so much of Marc Ross, a guy we let leave.
    There is much to like about Whaley, but I'm with Jrober on this...he just can't be given the keys to the car. Whaley appeals more to me than Nix did three years ago and if they had allowed him to call the shots three years ago, I have a hard time seeing this team being worse off than it is now.

I believe the Colts last year (not too sure) hired a consultant or had someone talk to them about potential GM's.
    FIRE BUDDY NIX!!!

jrb, what exactly are you trying to accomplish with all of the ridiculous polls you create? One thing you may want to try is to create a fair poll. Most of your posts seem to be ridiculous polls like this that leave out the most obvious responses. How about "Doug Whaley has SOME responsibility;" not little, not a huge amount. You're allowed to create a poll with more than 2 options, but you already know that since you're polls with 5 and 6 options also seem to leave out the most obvious responses.

its hard to believe that anybody in this regime would succeed at anything but losing !

Quote Originally Posted by transplantbillsfan View Post
    jrb, what exactly are you trying to accomplish with all of the ridiculous polls you create? One thing you may want to try is to create a fair poll. Most of your posts seem to be ridiculous polls like this that leave out the most obvious responses. How about "Doug Whaley has SOME responsibility;" not little, not a huge amount. You're allowed to create a poll with more than 2 options, but you already know that since you're polls with 5 and 6 options also seem to leave out the most obvious responses.
    Its pretty simple. I think the entire regime is part of the problem, including Whaley. The odds that an organization as inept as the Bills organization just happens to already employ the best person to solve the problems are incredibly low. People on this board assume because they have heard a coaches or players name that person must automatically be better than the hundreds of potential people they have never heard of. Worse OBD acts the same way and the fans are stuck with an incredibly stream of incompetence for years and years now.

NO MORE LOSER RETREADS. Either bring in someone with experience actually WINNING or take **** chance on new blood.

Quote Originally Posted by jrober38 View Post
    You cannot just give him the job after the way the past 3 years have gone.

Let him interview against other candidates for the job and then hire the best one.

Get the best GM possible. Don't settle because you know the guy...
    But that's what the Bills do best!!

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=4785461

However, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that the Bills considered two other in-house personnel men -- pro personnel director John Guy and chief scout Tom Modrak -- among the candidates for the GM position. Nix impressed Wilson during a recent face-to-face meeting, and stood out above the other two candidates that were interviewed.

What a joke!
    3 years ago

"What matters is two years and three years down the road, if we have this thing turned around in the right direction and we're winning," Nix said. "I know before I'm asked this, you're going to think I'm crazy, but we're not that far away."

“Russ and I scanned a list of possible candidates,” Wilson said. “We didn’t know them. I didn’t know them. I don’t think Russ did. We narrowed it down to two candidates for the job of general manager of football, two in-house candidates.”

I dont think there is a way for fans to quantify his involvement; the buck stops at Buddy Nix, he's the triggerman.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1237006_417793431666201_616460147_n.jpg
    14 years. Our Playoff drought has entered puberty.

What's he ever done anywhere?