Thread: ESPN Gailey-Fitzpatrick era must end in Buffalo

Default ESPN Gailey-Fitzpatrick era must end in Buffalo

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

http://http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/52855/chan-gailey-ryan-fitzpatrick-era-must-end-in-buffalo

MIAMI -- Buffalo Bills head coach Chan Gailey and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick are likeable, smart and have good NFL experience.

However, Gailey is not the right head coach for the Bills and Fitzpatrick is not the right fit at quarterback. Sunday's 24-10 loss to the Miami Dolphins at Sun Life Stadium continued to hammer that point home. After three awful seasons, it is crystal clear.

The Bills fell to 5-10 and cemented their third consecutive season of double-digit losses under Gailey and Fitzpatrick. The shame is this was by far Buffalo's most talented team in that span. But Gailey and Fitzpatrick continue to hold this team back. It's time for the Bills to stop spinning their wheels.
    The success of any NFL franchise is closely tied into the success of its coach and quarterback. Buffalo has one of the league's weakest pairings. The Bills must cut ties with both. Getting rid of just one will simply stunt Buffalo's growth in 2013. Keeping both would potentially cripple the franchise. This was a no-excuse year for Gailey and Fitzpatrick -- and both fell flat.

After the game, Gailey looked worn down but said he's not thinking about his job security.

"No, I worry about getting better and playing to our abilities," Gailey said. "We haven't done it, and that’s my responsibility to get that done. We're not there."

Fitzpatrick's situation is easier to predict. The Bills signed him to a six-year, $59 million contract extension in 2011, and Fitzpatrick has been mostly a disappointment. He's 7-19 in his past 26 starts and entered this weekend with the third-most turnovers in the NFL the past two seasons.

Buffalo can save $4.45 million on its salary cap and $7.45 million in cash by cutting Fitzpatrick by the second day of the league year next March. If the Bills keep him, Fitzpatrick's total cap number will be $10.45 million next season.

Cutting Fitzpatrick appears to be a no-brainer. Bills general manager Buddy Nix already expressed the desire to upgrade the position via the draft or free agency.

Fitzpatrick threw for 240 yards and one touchdown Sunday. He lost a fumble in an ugly first half and threw an inexcusable interception at the goal line at the end of the fourth quarter with the Bills driving.

"The first half is as poor as we've played offensively since I’ve been here," Fitzpatrick said. "We made a couple plays but had a couple fumbles, false starts, a lot of different things you can’t have if you want to be a good football team."

Gailey's situation is a little more unpredictable. He recently received a public backing from Nix, but making a case to keep Gailey is becoming increasingly difficult.

Sunday’s game was pretty much on par with what we've seen in Buffalo's losses all year. The sloppy Bills had 11 penalties and four turnovers. The team looked underprepared and continued to make silly mistakes that are inexcusable this late in the year.

The Bills fell behind 24-3 after three quarters and were never in this game.

"If we score [at the end] and get the onside kick, it's a competitive game," Gailey said of the 14-point final margin.

The time for excuses is over for Gailey and Fitzpatrick. Three years is enough of a sample size to realize this is not right pairing for the Bills' organization.

The sooner Buffalo starts over with a new head coach and quarterback, the quicker the Bills can turn things around.

Seriously, how did they not get rid of both these guys after 2010. They sucked then and nothing has changed.

well our genious gm thinks gailey should come back i wish some one would fire him also nix hired those two buffoons so is on him also fire all of themit cant set us back more than what we are already

Quote Originally Posted by premierwildbill View Post
    Seriously, how did they not get rid of both these guys after 2010. They sucked then and nothing has changed.
    Actually we were quite content with what they did in 2010. Remember that team had very little talent and Chan had this offense and Fitz playing great. We finished 4-12 but we had numerous close games, Pitt, NE, Baltimore. We were thinking if we just added a few prices on defense and offense we would be set.

Oops

Couldn't agree more. This pair just doesn't work. We need to part ways. The sooner the better.

I really hope that Buddy gets the hint.....to me he just seems stubborn and stuck in his ways, I just hope we lose next week and then we will have done worse than last yr and that my friends is hard to do
    There are 3 steps to "Building Through the Draft"
    1. Draft
    2. Develop
    3. Retain

2014 Mock
    1. Jake Mathews OT Texas A&M
    2. Jace Amaro TE Texas Tech
    3. Shayne Skov ILB Stanford
    4. Dominique Easley DE Florida
    5. Zack Mettenberger QB LSU
    6. Colt Lyerla TE Oregon
    7. Tom Hornsey P Memphis

I am convinced.

Now we just have to convince Buddy Nix. And, I still say the biggest hurdle is finding a coach that is an upgrade to Chan that is willing to take the job. If Chip Kelly was blowing up Buddy Nix's cell phone, I think Buddy would feel more confident he can change coaches. Instead if the reality is that Buddy is reaching out around the football committee right now and not getting any nibbles, he may stick with Chan.

Both need to go. Sorry Ryan, your Fitzmagic has petered out...Chan, I'm not so sure you ever had any magic...
    #BeatemBills

Buddy may already BE convinced, but he's not going to publicly say anything until after the season ends.

I will be shocked if Gailey's not fired next week and Fitzjoke will be released.....but these won't be the only heads lopped off....
    1. Mike Evans / WR / Texas A&M
    2. Austin Seferian-Jenkins / TE / Washington
    3. Juwuan James / OT / Tenn.
    4. Shayne Skov / ILB / Stanford
    5. Cassius Marsh / DE / UCLA
    7. Logan Thomas / QB / Virginia Tech

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and conveniences,
    but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy ".......Martin Luther King

"If we score [at the end] and get the onside kick, it's a competitive game," Gailey said of the 14-point final margin.

I don't even know what to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by intimidatortj View Post
    I am convinced.

Now we just have to convince Buddy Nix. And, I still say the biggest hurdle is finding a coach that is an upgrade to Chan that is willing to take the job. If Chip Kelly was blowing up Buddy Nix's cell phone, I think Buddy would feel more confident he can change coaches. Instead if the reality is that Buddy is reaching out around the football committee right now and not getting any nibbles, he may stick with Chan.
    I see what you're saying, but I'm not buying it. The Bills HC job is an NFL HC job, it's not some Division III HC job, it's a professional football team for crying out loud, stop acting like it's undesirable.
    Go Bills!

You can't unscramble eggs.

Ryan Fitzpatrick for HC
    Chan Gailey for GM
    Buddy Nix for New Owner
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1237006_417793431666201_616460147_n.jpg
    14 years. Our Playoff drought has entered puberty.

Hopefully this national media pressure will do it!
    Lets GO BUFFALO!

Get it done, these two must go

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo86 View Post

I don't even know what to say about that.
    Especially when they played so slow and no two minute offense....that's how the HC really thinks??

Quote Originally Posted by Cin4theBills View Post
    Especially when they played so slow and no two minute offense....that's how the HC really thinks??
    I would hope not. It's something us fans say as an excuse to keep watching.
    Go Bills!

A lot falls on Gailey and his divisional record says it all. If you cannot win in your own division and be competitive within your division it means your coaching peers over at Miami, New Jersey, and New England are out coaching you and know how to beat your systems. Those teams adjusted every time we played them, and Chan Gailey was still trying to figure out how to stop what they had done to us last game. The problem was it worked for a quarter before those teams made their adjustments and Gailey and his staff were left completely in the dark again.

Bellicheat and Ryan could make adjustments during the game to counter us, Gailey cannot he has to wait until after the game before he understands were break downs occur. Far to often the Bills looked shell shocked and unprepared this season.

The worst was when we played the Patriots at home this year. The Pats came out running the ball to start the 2nd half, and we were so shocked they were not passing, we just frooze and let them take it to us. Good coaching staffs don't let that happen. Good staffs prepare their team, and fix problems. They don't say we just need to ride the course and the issue will solve itself. Well the issue was your run d and it took being insulted by the niners and titans in record horrible fashion before it was half @ssed fix.

Gaileys redzone offense was a slap in the face to football fans. Running shotgun from the 5 yard line where everyone is boxed in, is basically telling opposing ds we aren't running so rush Fitz and defend the pass. The slant passes to the inside shoulders allowing dbs to deflect or jump routes was almost to painful to watch. This is all much more pathetic when you factor in we have Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller and 90% of the time Spilled is watching from the bench. We have an explosive back who would demand attention from any defense, and we can't even find a place for him as a decoy at least in our redzone offense?

Bills need a coaching staff who knows how to win in the NFL and knows how to solve problems on the field during the game, not in the film room 3 weeks later.

GAILEY NEEDS TO GO