Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's time for Doug Whaley to take over as GM

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

How much talent has Whaley brought here in the last 3+ years?

And, what would he do different or better than Buddy Nix?

Quote Originally Posted by DarylLamonica View Post
    Running a multi-million organization with over hundred people entails a heck of a lot more than just an eye for talent of football players: picking the right administrative people and coaches and then managing al their agendas, relating to RALPH, the players, their agents, the media, fans, politicans, sponsors, etc, salary cap balancing, etc etc.

Whaley MIGHT (many give him all the credit for the bet picks of the Steelers when he was there) have a great eye for talent and doesn't posses those other skills he could prove to be a disaster.
    I am with you Daryl, who says this kid is ready to be a GM?

Quote Originally Posted by intimidatortj View Post
    How much talent has Whaley brought here in the last 3+ years?

And, what would he do different or better than Buddy Nix?
    Our drafts the last 3 years have been 10x's better than the last 10 years.
    1. OT Jake Matthews, 6'6 309 Texas A&M
    2. OLB Kyle Van Noy, 6'4 243 BYU
    3. RB Andre Williams, 5'10 233 Boston College
    4. OG Trai Turner, 6'3 310 LSU
    5. CB Ross Cockrell, 6'0 191 Duke
    7. DE Ethan Westbrooks, 6'4 267 West Texas A&M

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaGatorsBuffaloBills View Post
    Have they been that much better? The 2010 draft, outside of Spiller was a big miss IMO. Seeing they could've landed players like Gronk in the 2nd and/or Jimmy Graham in the 3rd....yet they picked the invisible man (troupe) in the 2nd, who has done nothing in his career. The rest of the 2010 draft class has been pretty invisible. Spiller may save that draft class...but that is only if the New Coach uses him.

2011 draft landed Dareus, who hasn't been dominate. Aaron Williams may be the worst corner in the NFL when he is actually playing...they could've had Dalton with that pick. Sheppard has been part of the problem at LB, not the solution. Searcy is pumped up so much by Gailey, but we as fans never see him play.

2012: Gilmore is good and Glenn started the season good, but he hasn't been the same since he returned from his inury. However, this was the year to look at QB's and they could've landed Russel Wilson or Cousins...but passed on both in the 3rd.

The 2011 and 2012 classes may prove to be the foundation, but it could also be 2006 and 2007 draft class again.....just ok, but could've been much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Adkbillsfan View Post
    What has Whaley done to convince everyone he's the second coming of Bill Polian? Sure, he was in Pittsburgh, but so was Tom Donahoe who we were told was a great talent but left because of personal difference with the Chin when the Chin after many years had only lost Super Bowls. Oh, but he's young and being young makes you great because you're not old and that experience stuff is just so overrated. Well, that make sense in bizzaro world. I just don't get it.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    If it means getting Nix out of here I'm all for it. I don't know much about Whaley but he can't be any worse than Nix. Looks at Nix's 2nd and 3rd round picks last year. A. Williams in the 2nd round and Sheppard in the 3rd round. Two huge busts! You can't be missing on 2nd and 3rd round picks or you will never get this team turned around. We need to clean house from top to bottom. Get rid of Nix, Chan, and PicksPatrick.

Whaley shouldn't be just given the keys to the FO. Now, he has seen how it can be done right and for anyone to judge him based on what Tom Donahue did as a GM coming from Pittsburg is silly. Different jobs, different responsibilites and different people involved.

I've been saying for a while that if I was Wilson or Brandon, I would hire an outside consultant to assist the Bills in hiring a new GM. When RW says that he and Brandon didn't know the names of potential GM's and decided to go from within....that is a problem.

The issue with Whaley is that many fans just don't know what his excat role is. This is what I've read: Assistant General Manager/Director of Player Personnel. Which tells me that he scouts players and puts the draft board together, but doesn't make the final call on the player selected.

However, the 15-32 record has occurred on his watch, so he deserves some blame, as he was given some credit for the Steelers success.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaGatorsBuffaloBills View Post
    Really? 2010, except for Spiller, was horrible. 2011 doesn't look very good as a whole and 2012 the jury is out yet.
    Originally Posted by Griff
    I'm a Bills fan, I don't feel gloom, I've been baptized in fire. Wide right, Music City Forward Lateral, Pittsburgh's third stringers, 13 years, at this point nothing but moving the team would make me feel the gloom

Quote Originally Posted by DarylLamonica View Post
    You are confusing GM and HC responsibilities here.

1) It was not Nix's decision to start Trent Edwards and you can't give a football team no ready QB, trent was all he had that was serviceable.

2) Coaches decisionn to run the 3-4.

3) When he signed Fitz 955 of the Buffalo Bills nation was elated, it failed. So now he is all we have, what do you want Nix to do, come out and say Fitz sucks? A good GM doesn't take the easy way out like you want him to, he sucks it up and stands by his QB as long as he can.
    The GM sets the plan for the organization. Nix is being paid because he has 50 years of football knowledge.

You would think the GM signs off a defensive scheme change since it impacts the draft strategy and personnel acquisition.

I needed Trent cut immediately when Nix took over. He was a complete failure in 2008 and 2009. Furthermore, Fitzpatrick was handed a starting job in 2011 and 2012.

Don't let Nix wiggle off the hood with technicalities. Nix likes to do that a lot. I traded for Tavaris Jackson, but its up to Gailey on whether or not they play him. Sorry - supposedly you and Gailey talk everyday. How can that not come up?