Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To whomever runs the Bills next...Address QUARTERBACK first and foremost.

Default To whomever runs the Bills next...Address QUARTERBACK first and foremost.

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

We have made stupid moves in regards to QB's since Jan 1996 when Jim Kelly retired.

Todd Collins Career backup.
    Billy Joe Hobag Career 3rd stringer
    Rob Johnson Traded a first for a guy who played well in one preseason game and was a 4th round draft pick
    Doug Flutie Career backup in the NFL, sorry that is just how it was.
    Drew Bledsoe Career was effectively over when he took that hit. Was a pure shell of former self, wasted a first rounder on him.
    JP Losman Drafted in the first round when this clown should never have been taken before the 3rd.
    Trent Edwards Really? Just....Really?
    Ryan Fitzpatrick Career backup that was cast off as a BACKUP from every team he was on St. Louis, Cinci and BOTH those teams needed a good backup.

Look at the pattern. At no time has the Bills since Jim Kelly invested a high draft pick in a top talent. Lets clear something up right now, Tom Brady etal. like him are VERY VERY RARE. I will also say if Brady hadn't fallen into the NE System, odds are he wouldn't be 'Tom Brady'.

Now many are going to scream about Trent Dilfer. SCREW Trent Dilfer. That was the 'perfect Storm' for a team esp. the QB. One of the top 2 Defenses OF ALL TIME, combined with an amazing OL, HOF TE and a future 2000 yard RB.

BTW take a look at who the coaching staff was that year Coached by Brian Billick(12-4-0)
    Defensive Coordinator: Marvin Lewis
    Other Notable Asst.: Jack Del Rio (Linebackers), Rex Ryan (Defensive Line) and Mike Smith (Defensive Assistant/Defensive Line)

SERIOUSLY? That is an all star cast of coaches. A staff like that is pure luck, its a Green Bay/ SF of the 80's/90's type deal. It just doesn't happen that often. Again the 2000 ravens were the perfect storm.

The point being you MUST invest in a top talent and roll the dice if you want to become a contender. Sure they can not work out like Sanchize and some will say Alex Smith ( I think the poor guy has been screwed over from day one) in modern times. You have the ryan leafs, Rick Meyers etc, but if you don't invest in a top talent you are almost assured ZERO shot at getting a good QB to build around.

So I pray whomever owns/ Runs this team makes QB priority #1. Not bring in a vet to tutor or some other BS, trade up if need be and get a **** QB and start his butt day one. If you want to protect/ Develop him, then get some **** good coaches in here.

Draft a QB in the 1st

Draft the RIGHT QB in the first. Just taking any qb in the first doesn't automatically mean a better shot at being successful. If a qb has a 3rd round grade you don't take him in the first just because "you have to get a qb in the first".

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaBillzFan View Post
    We have made stupid moves in regards to QB's since Jan 1996 when Jim Kelly retired.

Rob Johnson Traded a first for a guy who played well in one preseason game and was a 4th round draft pick

Drew Bledsoe Career was effectively over when he took that hit. Was a pure shell of former self, wasted a first rounder on him.
    JP Losman Drafted in the first round when this clown should never have been taken before the 3rd.
    Ryan Fitzpatrick Career backup that was cast off as a BACKUP from every team he was on St. Louis, Cinci and BOTH those teams needed a good backup.

Look at the pattern. At no time has the Bills since Jim Kelly invested a high draft pick in a top talent. Lets clear something up right now, Tom Brady etal. like him are VERY VERY RARE. I will also say if Brady hadn't fallen into the NE System, odds are he wouldn't be 'Tom Brady'.

Now many are going to scream about Trent Dilfer. SCREW Trent Dilfer. That was the 'perfect Storm' for a team esp. the QB. One of the top 2 Defenses OF ALL TIME, combined with an amazing OL, HOF TE and a future 2000 yard RB.

BTW take a look at who the coaching staff was that year Coached by Brian Billick(12-4-0)
    Other Notable Asst.: Jack Del Rio (Linebackers), Rex Ryan (Defensive Line) and Mike Smith (Defensive Assistant/Defensive Line)

SERIOUSLY? That is an all star cast of coaches. A staff like that is pure luck, its a Green Bay/ SF of the 80's/90's type deal. It just doesn't happen that often. Again the 2000 ravens were the perfect storm.

The point being you MUST invest in a top talent and roll the dice if you want to become a contender. Sure they can not work out like Sanchize and some will say Alex Smith ( I think the poor guy has been screwed over from day one) in modern times. You have the ryan leafs, Rick Meyers etc, but if you don't invest in a top talent you are almost assured ZERO shot at getting a good QB to build around.

So I pray whomever owns/ Runs this team makes QB priority #1. Not bring in a vet to tutor or some other BS, trade up if need be and get a **** QB and start his butt day one. If you want to protect/ Develop him, then get some **** good coaches in here.

while i agree qb is a big need but if teo is there for us he has to be the pick.we can get a solid franchise qb in the second round or late first if we decide to trade back up.

... So I pray whomever owns/ Runs this team makes QB priority #1. Not bring in a vet to tutor or some other BS, trade up if need be and get a **** QB and start his butt day one. If you want to protect/ Develop him, then get some **** good coaches in here.

While I absolutely agree that QB is priority #1 and that there isn't even a #2 in the same league in terms of importance ... there really are years where no QBs turn out to be franchise guys, or even any good.

How good would it seem if we trade up to #1, grab the best guy, whoever he is, and he turns out to be a flop?

It's our #1 need, and it's now pathetically obvious that last year was the time to address QB. But don't grab one just for the sake of grabbing one. Make sure the guy you grab is a franchise guy, or as sure as it is possible to be before the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
    Draft a QB in the 1st
    Name your guy please...

the next gm if there is a new one,will have no problem pulling the trigger because buddy has some pieces in place.....buddy did fail at
    getting a franchise qb....but he has done something that has not been done in awhile and THAT IS SIGN AND KEEP THE TALENT THAT WE DID HAVE ON THE ROSTER

Well based upon your list we spent 3 first round picks on QBs:

Rob Johnson
    Drew Bledsoe
    JP Losman

So based upon your logic - the Bills have invested high draft picks on QBs and they failed - so what makes you think it will be different if they just go out and pick a guy in the first round to satisfy you.

As others have said - they need to draft the guy that will fit what they want to do and that will depend upon who is the next coach and GM. Once we get that figured out - then we can see who fits and that may be a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round or could be a 1st round QB.

and the quote: "The point being you MUST invest in a top talent and roll the dice if you want to become a contender. Sure they can not work out like Sanchize and some will say Alex Smith ( I think the poor guy has been screwed over from day one) in modern times. You have the ryan leafs, Rick Meyers etc, but if you don't invest in a top talent you are almost assured ZERO shot at getting a good QB to build around."

Is not correct - there have been many players drafted in the second and third round that are good QB's and many first round busts - so again you need to get the guy that fits what you want to do - that to me is the biggest thing. Tom Brady is Tom Brady because of where he is - the same thing goes for many superstar players - move them to a different team and a different system and they might fail. So get you guy whether in the 1st or 5th round - develop him - and play to his strengths and things will work out.

let bill polian pick the QB

Quote Originally Posted by Rochesterfan View Post
    Well based upon your list we spent 3 first round picks on QBs:

Rob Johnson
    Drew Bledsoe
    JP Losman

So based upon your logic - the Bills have invested high draft picks on QBs and they failed - so what makes you think it will be different if they just go out and pick a guy in the first round to satisfy you.

As others have said - they need to draft the guy that will fit what they want to do and that will depend upon who is the next coach and GM. Once we get that figured out - then we can see who fits and that may be a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round or could be a 1st round QB.

and the quote: "The point being you MUST invest in a top talent and roll the dice if you want to become a contender. Sure they can not work out like Sanchize and some will say Alex Smith ( I think the poor guy has been screwed over from day one) in modern times. You have the ryan leafs, Rick Meyers etc, but if you don't invest in a top talent you are almost assured ZERO shot at getting a good QB to build around."

Is not correct - there have been many players drafted in the second and third round that are good QB's and many first round busts - so again you need to get the guy that fits what you want to do - that to me is the biggest thing. Tom Brady is Tom Brady because of where he is - the same thing goes for many superstar players - move them to a different team and a different system and they might fail. So get you guy whether in the 1st or 5th round - develop him - and play to his strengths and things will work out.

Again for the slow, use a HIGH DRAFT PICK ON A QB. I was waiting for someone to bring up the fact we used low picks or traded away picks we should have used to draft a QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus Lizard View Post
    Name your guy please...
    Name yours. Go ahead. Lets hear you say like you always seem to do there is no QB worth taking. I mean that is Nix's position right? I for one screamed Andy Dalton even over Scam Newton. There are a few QB's in this next draft that could be **** good QB's.

The problem is the MEDIA doesn't think so. Funny how the MEDIA said Ryan Leaf would be better than Payton Manning because Manning couldn't win a national championship and had a stronger arm. The Media (NFLN in particular) said Blane Gabbart was the next great thing.

So I will start looking over stuff at some point after the first, but it isn't my job to pick one. All I know is there have been some that Nix flat out said wouldn't be better than Fitz and he was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
    Draft a QB in the 1st
    .....I say draft a qb in the 1st & 2nd rounds......release Fitz, Thigpen, B Smith & TJax...also consider a FA qb and let these 3 battle it out....your bound to find a winner with this senario.....get LB's in the 3rd & 4th.....
    1. Mike Evans / WR / Texas A&M
    2. Austin Seferian-Jenkins / TE / Washington
    3. Juwuan James / OT / Tenn.
    4. Shayne Skov / ILB / Stanford
    5. Cassius Marsh / DE / UCLA
    7. Logan Thomas / QB / Virginia Tech

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and conveniences,
    but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy ".......Martin Luther King

Again for the slow, use a HIGH DRAFT PICK ON A QB. I was waiting for someone to bring up the fact we used low picks or traded away picks we should have used to draft a QB.
    Go back and look at the draft pick to get Johnson - That wasn't low.

Again for the slow - we have used 3 1st round and you are complaining about not trying to get a QB and you want them to draft a QB high this year.

Great run the team down the dumpster again - glad you are no GM, but keep complaining for the sake of complaining - don't present any real option.

Who do you suggest the Bills draft at potentially #4 overall. Please put it on record so we are all aware of who you want the Bills to Draft.

Also what do you consider High - 1st, 8th, 12th, 25th - there are QBs all over the league drafted at those positions and I believe our 3 picks used to acquire those players were all in that those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by LABILLBACKER View Post
    .....I say draft a qb in the 1st & 2nd rounds......release Fitz, Thigpen, B Smith & TJax...also consider a FA qb and let these 3 battle it out....your bound to find a winner with this senario.....get LB's in the 3rd & 4th.....
    I'm in agreement. I think we should take two QB's in this coming draft and let them battle it out in camp.

Poor Todd Collins. Always felt bad for him. I think The Bills should take a defensive player with their first pick then trade back into the 1st round and get a QB maybe Glennon (Tyler Wilson). I'd rather see that than take a QB at 6 or 5 or whatever pick we're going to end up having. However, I think the Bills will have a solid pick in the 2nd round to not even need to go back into the 1st but that's just me.
    Get shredded or die mirin' - Zyzz

Name yours. Go ahead. Lets hear you say like you always seem to do there is no QB worth taking. I mean that is Nix's position right? I for one screamed Andy Dalton even over Scam Newton. There are a few QB's in this next draft that could be **** good QB's.

The problem is the MEDIA doesn't think so. Funny how the MEDIA said Ryan Leaf would be better than Payton Manning because Manning couldn't win a national championship and had a stronger arm. The Media (NFLN in particular) said Blane Gabbart was the next great thing.

So I will start looking over stuff at some point after the first, but it isn't my job to pick one. All I know is there have been some that Nix flat out said wouldn't be better than Fitz and he was wrong.
    I wanted Russel Wilson BADLY last year...I still think there is talent in this years draft, but honestly I don't know who to go with. There is no sure fire guy this year, but that doesn't mean our guy isn't there. Blindly saying "just pick any QB in the first round" is stupid. Who are the guys you think have the best potential?

Bills severely messed up when they had Drew Bledsoe. They tried with Mike Williams, he really burned the Bills. Bills messed up badly by not sticking to a dedication to make the OLINE sturdy for the big arm statue. The next year they had a luxury pick of WIllis MicGahee in round 1, then Dallas Clark should have been the pick. No OLINE taken in that draft. The next year Lee Evans was not a bad pick, but trading up for Losman was crazy, they wasted that draft, the 2004 draft was awful. No OLINE that year either.

How do you trade for a big arm pocket QB who is not mobile and not make certain the OLINE is prepared? Bills could have been good with Bledsoe.

You still think Andy Dalton is better than Cam Newton?

Sorry Tulsa, the whole point of your thread is incorrect
    Trading a first round draft pick for a QB is the same as using a first round draft pick to select a QB
    So in fact the Bills have tried 3 times, Bledsoe, Losman, Johnson to find that elusive franchise QB since Kelly retired
    Just because the investment didn't result in another Kelly QB does not mean they didn't try
    And Edwards was drafted in the same round as a Wilson
    Again it just didn't work long term for our Bills
    And by the way there is likely not another Kelly in this years draft
    I'm not saying our Bills should not try again, and again
    I'm just pointing out they have, to say they have not, is completely incorrect
    To say Nix has not tried this route would be correct
    But all the other GM's have made the effort, results notwithstanding

jc

stir the pot

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus Lizard View Post
    Name your guy please...
    Games still need to be played so Im not set on one or two yet all I know is OBD has to take a shot at one and since its such a huge need with the state the fans are in with the Fitz its a no brainer IMO that they have to take one of the top rated 3. To wait for a QB to fall to them will create the same fail Nix has done every year in finding one, take one of the top 3 and hope.

As of right now I dont see any reason to move up to the top to get the best from this class since each offers alot to a team but IMO there is no Luck or RG3 in this draft BUT IMO there is QBs worth taking with our first pick wherever that will be. Sure the one they pick may not work out but thats part of the NFL in a QB driven league. To be good in the NFL you have to keep taking shots at finding one, look how many Shanny had before all in on RG3.

The QB depth is the worst ever here now IMO it offers nothing, we need 3 new QBs for 2013. Competition will create the hunger this team needs in its leader position. The team has to billieve in him just like the fans. A more talented QB here with a killer instinct will do a lot for this team and will offer a future of hope but to avoid drafting one in the first because a Luck or RG3 isnt there will set this team back even more years.

Im not saying moving up Im just saying do what Miami did and just draft one where your pick is and live with it. Draft 1 if not 2 QBs this season and then draft anouther next season until there is more talent installed. The Fitz seasons have been nothing but a huge waste of time. OBD has to create hope and IMO if they blow off the QB position again in the early 2 rounds it will be that much harder for the fans to billieve or have any hope.
    Last edited by adrenaline; 12-28-2012 at 01:24 PM.