Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buddy's inexplicable decision not to draft a QB

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Quote Originally Posted by RustySabre View Post
    Read my second sentence again.
    They didn't want any competition for the fitz. That's the real explanation. Nix and Gailey were sold on him and after the contract, they were not going to admit they were wrong.
    Originally Posted by lilfaith24
    Tuel is not a bad QB,you just have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Airseven View Post
    It's completely explainable. They declared Fitzysuck the unrivaled starter. They didn't want any competition. Simple as that. Those QB prospects were irrelevant.
    This.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jm2009 View Post
    They didn't want any competition for the fitz. That's the real explanation. Nix and Gailey were sold on him and after the contract, they were not going to admit they were wrong.
    If you know then why did you ask?
    As soon as laws are necessary for men, they are no longer fit for freedom.
    - Pythagoras.

Quote Originally Posted by stuvian View Post
    Dalton, Kaepernick, Foles, Cousins and Wilson is just too much to overlook IMO. I won't mention Luck and RG3 b/c that's a kings ransom but the first list are all playoff QBs that we could have had. Even Jake Locker who is at best a 50/50 proposition would have given us an option.

But in all honesty I think Buddy is probably very capable of judging QB talent. I think Ralph tied his hands for money or PR reasons and now that things have imploded Ralph is prepared to make Buddy a sacrificial lamb.
    Wait what? Your already calling Kapernick, Foles, Wilson and Cousins franchise QB's? Cousins isn't even the starter, sorry I don't think it's a failure when you have no pass rush, no OL to build those up before getting a QB of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Billsnation2010 View Post
    Wait what? Your already calling Kapernick, Foles, Wilson and Cousins franchise QB's? Cousins isn't even the starter, sorry I don't think it's a failure when you have no pass rush, no OL to build those up before getting a QB of the future.
    they are all Qbs who are going to the playoffs. Something we haven't done in 13+ years. The Redskins are in the hunt the same year as they got their QB answer straightened out. Do you see a corelation?
    I love the smell of charcoal in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by stuvian View Post
    they are all Qbs who are going to the playoffs. Something we haven't done in 13+ years. The Redskins are in the hunt the same year as they got their QB answer straightened out. Do you see a corelation?
    Didn't the Panthers, Rams and Lions also draft QB's within the first three picks also? It doesn't always work like you think it should.
    - Pythagoras.

Didn't the Panthers, Rams and Lions also draft QB's within the first three picks also? It doesn't always work like you think it should.
    lions made the playoffs last year with stafford.

Quote Originally Posted by Jm2009 View Post
    lions made the playoffs last year with stafford.
    How they doing now? Doesn't always work the way you think it should.
    - Pythagoras.

Dalton, Kaepernick, Wilson, and now Ponder. All good enough for the playoffs, not good enough for Nix. I do think Fitz is good enough to be a quality backup but keeping him around makes me nervous, given how much slack he has been given.

This is what scares me more than anything about Nix. He could not see that Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins were easy 2nd rd picks last year and now he needs to find that guy this draft. There are alot of choices but Im guessing Tyler Wilson and Mike Glennon are the favorits right now. The fact that he passed on Cousins and Wilson last year leaves me feeling not as confident as others are in his ability to draft a QB.
    Draft
    1. Zack Martin LT/RT Notre Dame
    2. Donte Moncrief WR Ole Miss
    3. CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa
    4. Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5. Storm Johnson RB UCF
    6. Traded for WR Mike Williams
    7. Spencer Long OG Nebraska

How they doing now? Doesn't always work the way you think it should.
    Stafford is a good QB. and they did make the playoffs. we haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrfalcon View Post
    Dalton, Kaepernick, Wilson, and now Ponder. All good enough for the playoffs, not good enough for Nix. I do think Fitz is good enough to be a quality backup but keeping him around makes me nervous, given how much slack he has been given.
    I agree with the Fitz part but which of the QBs you named would Chan have started over Fitz? Knowing what you know about how he treats the backup QB position.
    - Pythagoras.

I forgot about Dalton, Kaepernick and Pounder. Was Nix the GM in the years when those three were drafted?
    Draft
    1. Zack Martin LT/RT Notre Dame
    2. Donte Moncrief WR Ole Miss
    3. CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa
    4. Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5. Storm Johnson RB UCF
    6. Traded for WR Mike Williams
    7. Spencer Long OG Nebraska

I agree with the Fitz part but which of the QBs you named would Chan have started over Fitz? Knowing what you know about how he treats the backup QB position.
    Chan would have started none of those QBs, or would have inserted Fitz back in as soon as any of them had a bad game and would be well on his way to ruining their confidence. Nix and Gailey also stood by Trent with no evidence he could continue to be a starter, which is a further stain on their reputations. I'd prefer both of them gone before they start developing a prospect.

Was Nix the GM in the years when those three were drafted?
    Yes, he was, and unlike Luck and RGIII (minus a big trade), Buddy could have taken any of them.

Chan would have started none of those QBs, or would have inserted Fitz back in as soon as any of them had a bad game and would be well on his way to ruining their confidence. Nix and Gailey also stood by Trent with no evidence he could continue to be a starter, which is a further stain on their reputations. I'd prefer both of them gone before they start developing a prospect.
    Gailey would have started Fitz over RGIII. he has an inexplicable belief in the guy.

The Bills had several pre-draft visits pf QB's. The Vikings knew Ponder would be gone by their pick in the 2nd rd, so they took him at 12. Nix had plans to draft guys. They just weren't on the board when it was their turn. A lot of GM's missed the boat on Wilson.

Nix has had his hands full. He came in and Gailey wanted a 3-4. He drafted for that. Then they realized LB's were harder to find then D-line, so they switched back. They didn't know what they had in QB's the first year. Trent was a practice QB. Looked good until game day. They wanted to see if it was the previous system or if Trent had what it takes. I respect them for giving the guy a shot. Chan also pulled the plug early, realizing his mistake.

Yes, he was, and unlike Luck and RGIII (minus a big trade), Buddy could have taken any of them.
    So basicallly it wouldn't have made much of a difference. People would be mad as hell at Nix for not picking a guy to fill a need, at another position, while taking a QB who was never going to see the field.
    - Pythagoras.

Quote Originally Posted by BillsExpert View Post
    The Bills had several pre-draft visits pf QB's. The Vikings knew Ponder would be gone by their pick in the 2nd rd, so they took him at 12. Nix had plans to draft guys. They just weren't on the board when it was their turn. A lot of GM's missed the boat on Wilson.

Nix has had his hands full. He came in and Gailey wanted a 3-4. He drafted for that. Then they realized LB's were harder to find then D-line, so they switched back. They didn't know what they had in QB's the first year. Trent was a practice QB. Looked good until game day. They wanted to see if it was the previous system or if Trent had what it takes. I respect them for giving the guy a shot. Chan also pulled the plug early, realizing his mistake.
    Nix failed on the HC and QB. period.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBills4Life View Post
    The defense is the bigger issue. SO what he didnt draft a QB, who knows which QB he would have drafted.
    Yup it is. Keep in mind the D almost finished last in Bills history. The Bills had many holes to fix, and like it or not Nix has done a good job thus far. One more year and I think we'll have very few holes.

So basicallly it wouldn't have made much of a difference. People would be mad as hell at Nix for not picking a guy to fill a need, at another position, while taking a QB who was never going to see the field.
    fans would love the QB pick and be mad that he wasn't given playing time. not that some other need wasn't drafted.we need a QB more than anything else.