Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Barkley question; Forgive my mediocre college football intellect.

Default Matt Barkley question; Forgive my mediocre college football intellect.

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

I am not a huge college football fan, so the most I ever get involved in any college analysis is right around this time. It seems like we are going to be going for a QB in the upcoming draft, so I would like to ask all of you, Whats up with Matt Barkley?

• Is he for real? Is he a legit franchise NFL QB?
    • What other past QB prospects can he be compared to? Tannehill? Sanchez? Matt Ryan?
    • What are the pros and cons? Why does he seem like less of a prospect this year than last?
    • I keep hearing he's not really that good and is a late first round pick, but I also see some others who would, and I quote, "dance around their kitchen island" if we drafted him.

Any info would be appreciated as it makes draft time that much more interesting and anticipated.

Matt Barkley = Matt Leinart = Mark Sanchez = Matt Cassell = No Thank You

Earned Never Given, BBSFL Champion

Saepe Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Vince Lombardi

I also would like the info on how the former touted #1 pick dropped right off the board. I didn't follow college ball as much as I would like this year.
    "Fans get me going. The worst thing to do is talk junk to me before I'm about to go against your quarterback. Whenever I get trash talked by fans at an away game, that's the best motivation. Because I know if I get the opportunity to get to the quarterback, it's going to be even worse now. If there's a fan telling me I'm garbage and my team sucks, you're talking directly to me. And I'm going to take it out directly on your quarterback." - Mario Williams

Quote Originally Posted by IKLT View Post
    I am not a huge college football fan, so the most I ever get involved in any college analysis is right around this time. It seems like we are going to be going for a QB in the upcoming draft, so I would like to ask all of you, Whats up with Matt Barkley?

• What other past QB prospects can he be compared to? Tannehill? Sanchez? Matt Ryan?
    • What are the pros and cons? Why does he seem like less of a prospect this year than last?
    • I keep hearing he's not really that good and is a late first round pick, but I also see some others who would, and I quote, "dance around their kitchen island" if we drafted him.

Any info would be appreciated as it makes draft time that much more interesting and anticipated.
    He has all the intangibles and many strong physical attributes. But at the end of the day, he has questionable arm strength and that will always compromise his value. He also needs to overcome the Cali QB bias.

Also hearing about NC States Mike Glennon. Bleacher Report is super high on him.

he is a very good QB with all the tools you want in a QB physically and skill wise he is like Andy Dalton. smart great leader good work ethic don't listen to the mouth breathers on here that say his hands are too small that's a lie or dismiss him cause he is from California or USC he is nothing like Leinart sanchez
    "Fight on, my men, Sir Andrew said -- A little I'm hurt but not yet slain. I'll just lie down and bleed awhile -- And I'll rise and fight again." marv levy

Barkely has much better intangibles than the aforementioned QBs, but his physical limitations will hold him back. He's an extremely mature, natural born leader who has a sharp football IQ and it SEEMS like he can get through his progressions quickly and make good reads (I say seems because the system he runs is predicated on quick decisions and getting rid of the ball fast. often times he knows where he's going before he takes a snap, so its tough to see him actually go through progressions. He isn't asked to do much of that)... but his arm strength isn't there, his deep ball accuracy isn't there, and he isn't mobile. He'll take some big hits due to an inability to escape, and he's already hurt now for that reason.

Here is a pretty good pseudo summery. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ts-draft-stock
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1237006_417793431666201_616460147_n.jpg
    14 years. Our Playoff drought has entered puberty.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rigante Hammer View Post
    I also would like the info on how the former touted #1 pick dropped right off the board. I didn't follow college ball as much as I would like this year.
    He had a really bad senior year and his flaws were exposed....I watched almost every game.
    They throw a lot of screens and short passes at USC, which boost his numbers up, and this year defenses forced USC to throw deep and Barkley couldn't do it. Lots of people dropped him out of the 1st round completely, but a lot of people still have him top 10 just because he looked great the first three seasons and is a "pro-ready" QB. He was the #1 HS recruit and freshman starter...great kid off the field, does lots of mission work similar to Tebow, great leader. Lots of concerns that the USC system hid his flaws and he's just a "system" guy. Most scouts seem to think that he'll never be a great QB, just average...I agree. I'm willing to bet he falls into the late 1st and a team takes a flyer on him. He really doesn't deserve to be a top 10 pick based on the way he played this season.

Hope this answers your question
    Bills Fan forever...season ticket holder since 2003.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    -Albert Einstein

Also hearing about NC States Mike Glennon. Bleacher Report is super high on him.
    So am I...
    Earned Never Given, BBSFL Champion

Saepe Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Vince Lombardi

Oh one other thing...his arm strength and deep ball accuracy is a huge question mark, which makes him a horrible fit for Buffalo.
    He's also under 6'2'' which is not good for QBs in general. Doesn't seem like a boom or bust guy to me, seems like a slightly above average or bust guy, but what do I know, I'm just a fan.
    Bills Fan forever...season ticket holder since 2003.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    -Albert Einstein

I'd rather have Bakley, Tajh Boyd, Geno Smith, Ryan Nassib, and maybe Tyler Wilson over Mike Glennon. Maybe Zac Dysert over Glennon, too.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1237006_417793431666201_616460147_n.jpg

Thank you! Great info here.

book on Barkley is he's a 4 year starter at southern cal, can look incredible at times and other times not so much the biggest question about him is he is listed at 6'2 which is really stretching it but his arm strength threw a lot of lollipop passes at USC do to having great receivers made his stats look better then they are if he's solid in the senior bowl and private workouts someone will take him in the first and if not will slide way down to the late second round.

Everyone says USC only scored all those points because they are stacked on offense yet the two games they played without Barkley they sucked offensively.

He had an amazing 3 years and im not going to write him off now because of one bad year where he had a horrific OLine and just made some bad decisions. The talent is there.

Also, for a down year he still had 36td and 15int

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Simpson View Post
    He had a really bad senior year and his flaws were exposed....I watched almost every game.
    They throw a lot of screens and short passes at USC, which boost his numbers up, and this year defenses forced USC to throw deep and Barkley couldn't do it. Lots of people dropped him out of the 1st round completely, but a lot of people still have him top 10 just because he looked great the first three seasons and is a "pro-ready" QB. He was the #1 HS recruit and freshman starter...great kid off the field, does lots of mission work similar to Tebow, great leader. Lots of concerns that the USC system hid his flaws and he's just a "system" guy. Most scouts seem to think that he'll never be a great QB, just average...I agree. I'm willing to bet he falls into the late 1st and a team takes a flyer on him. He really doesn't deserve to be a top 10 pick based on the way he played this season.

Hope this answers your question
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Simpson View Post
    Oh one other thing...his arm strength and deep ball accuracy is a huge question mark, which makes him a horrible fit for Buffalo.
    He's also under 6'2'' which is not good for QBs in general. Doesn't seem like a boom or bust guy to me, seems like a slightly above average or bust guy, but what do I know, I'm just a fan.
    This is a really good analysis.

As a prospect, he doesn't do anything particularly well. He's okay across the board and was pumped up by the amazing supporting cast he's had around him throughout his time at USC. As you said, the whole scheme revolves around getting the ball out quickly and letting Marquise Lee and Robert Woods run after the catch.

He's got great intangibles, but in the NFL you need real talent if you ever want to become a top player. I think there's minimal upside here, but he might settle in as a mediocre starter in the NFL who needs to be on a good team to be successful. If he winds up on a team with minimal supporting talent, I think he'll really struggle.

I think he can probably become Andy Dalton, but he might also be Brian Brohm.

The offense was built FOR Barkely, he's good at running it. He's not a louse, but he's not an aaron rodgers or andrew luck type.

I was actually going to dignify this thread with a response. I was like "IKLT with a sincere thread? Maybe I'll say something.."

Then I saw this post.

Well done.
    These words were written:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampten View Post
    Call me crazy, but I'd trade Watkins for our first and their (Cleveland) 1st next year.

He did not seem to have good accuracy.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.
    --- Pink Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by TheWien View Post
    I'd rather have Bakley, Tajh Boyd, Geno Smith, Ryan Nassib, and maybe Tyler Wilson over Mike Glennon. Maybe Zac Dysert over Glennon, too.
    So you watch 1 bowl game of each player and that is who you decide to like? Good Lord LOL