Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving back into first?

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

moving back into the 1st round for a QB is fools gold- especially in this QB class.

you NEVER get good value, and with this weak QB class we are better off waiting til our pick comes around in the 2nd and then taking the best one available.

Then in 2014 if there is a better QB prospect, take him in the 1st round...but for the love of God please do NOT trade up...it will mortgage our future for a mediocre QB.

2012 Adopt-A-Bill: T.J. Graham

I think this draft class still is a toss up. Right now it seems like a lot of 2nd round caliber QBs if in any other year, but the events leading up to draft can change everything.

For those of you saying that there is a QB worth pick 8 who do you think it is and why?

Quote Originally Posted by whorlnut View Post
    Geno is still riding the wave from his early season success. I don't think he should be considered any better than Landry Jones or Tyler Wilson. But I get what you're saying.
    Yeah it probably isn't the best example. But as I said, I don't know the college ranks well enough for a better one. I just went with names I've heard kicked around a lot here.

The fact is, at least from what I gather and if I'm wrong, let me know; that the top 8 or so QBs seem to be pretty close regarding skill and ability. I don't know which the Bills have rated the highest (and they aren't even done grading, I'm sure). But it may not be the "sexiest" pick of the QBs available. If that's the case, they may be able to get their guy a little later.

Good thing I have the next 4 months to learn myself up for the draft.
    -G

"I don't like the Dolphins, I don't like the Jets, I don't like the m- f- Patriots! I don't like the Browns 'cuz they start with a B! Let's go Bills Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba Bills, Let's go Bills!" -If you hear this being cheered at Bills games... I am likely the one you are hearing!

No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Sdigity2 View Post
    moving back into the 1st round for a QB is fools gold- especially in this QB class.

you NEVER get good value, and with this weak QB class we are better off waiting til our pick comes around in the 2nd and then taking the best one available.

Then in 2014 if there is a better QB prospect, take him in the 1st round...but for the love of God please do NOT trade up...it will mortgage our future for a mediocre QB.
    But would you be ok with the Bills moving back? Take a QB this year, maybe even the 1st of 2 picks in round 2 (if you're convinced the talent isn't 1st round worthy). Why not take another next draft as well, right?

Or- get one this year, then just wait for Johnny Football, duh.
    Last edited by BuffaloSuperBowlParade; 01-04-2013 at 05:07 PM.
    -G

"I don't like the Dolphins, I don't like the Jets, I don't like the m- f- Patriots! I don't like the Browns 'cuz they start with a B! Let's go Bills Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba Bills, Let's go Bills!" -If you hear this being cheered at Bills games... I am likely the one you are hearing!

Quote Originally Posted by je0592p View Post
    I think this draft class still is a toss up. Right now it seems like a lot of 2nd round caliber QBs if in any other year, but the events leading up to draft can change everything.

For those of you saying that there is a QB worth pick 8 who do you think it is and why?
    I think there may be at least 4 that may be worth that pick. Remember, quarterback trumps all other needs. Everyone knows that. And we will have a major need at that position. I think Geno Smith, Aaron Murray, Matt Barkley, and Tyler Wilson can be in consideration for the top ten when it's all said and done. Senior Bowl and combine will tell a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloSuperBowlParade View Post
    But would you be ok with the Bills moving back? Take a QB this year, maybe even the 1st of 2 picks in round 2 (if you're convinced the talent isn't 1st round worthy). Why not take another next draft as well, right?
    When it's said and done, people will view this quarterback class as light years better than next year's as long as Aaron Murray comes out this year. Teddy Bridgewater looks like he'll come out next year (maybe), but other than him, who is there? Derek Carr? David Carr's brother. No thanks. We can't think next year anymore. Now is the time.

If we were to trade back i would expect a QB in 1st then. I do not think there is a QB worth top 15 pick hence the reason why i would want to trade back into the late first.

I am going to start watching Youtube on the QBs and hope i see something different, but i am not an analysis just a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by whorlnut View Post
    When it's said and done, people will view this quarterback class as light years better than next year's as long as Aaron Murray comes out this year. Teddy Bridgewater looks like he'll come out next year (maybe), but other than him, who is there? Derek Carr? David Carr's brother. No thanks. We can't think next year anymore. Now is the time.
    I totally agree with you. They've been saying "next year" for years... That's why I want a QB in the 1st round regardless of it being the 1st (at 8 or later if we drop back a few picks) or a 2nd pick (if we move into the 1st round in later picks). It seems to me like there are Andy Dalton type players that are there for the taking. I don't think we need some sort of RG3 or Luck type player. By next year, I meant take one in both drafts. -Taking QBs in back to back drafts not what I want to do, but it was more an answer to the poster who said we should wait to take one next year.

(this is such a better topic than all the garbage HC threads... the draft is very interesting to me this year, especially because we have a little more leeway to move around it seems, and we are definitely taking a QB)
    -G

This is exactly what I have been saying on the boards for a week or so. I think that's what they'll do.

Everyone is arguing over the top QB to pick, and moving up to get them like the 'Skins last year, but I just don't think that's what Buddy has meant by saying "trade up to get our guy". I think we'll see a "play maker" at LB, WR, or CB (in that order), and then a trade back into the 1st to pick up a QB (Be it a Nassib type guy or whoever- one of the "lesser" touted picks). I'd be willing to give up picks in round 2 and 3 to see this happen. Maybe a round 2 for next year, if it means we get our man.

1) LB
    1b) QB
    4) WR
    5) CB
    6) OL
    7) We have no pick, see T Jax.
    Pretty much this would be my plan too, maybe I am dreaming but this could get us Te'o and our QB. From what others have said Glennon could gone by then which wouldn't bother me. Barkley or Nassib may even still be on the board late 1st. If that failed my backup plan would be Dysert with a later pick. There is no Andrew Luck in this draft but there will likely be a Russell Wilson.

I'd probably go with a 2nd LB instead of OL but wouldn't complain at either.
    Is it safe to listen to Bon Jovi songs again now?

Adopt a Bill 2014 - Cyrus Kouandjio - Welcoming CyKo into my place
    Adopt a Bill 2013 , Mario Williams - I love you Mario but your fridges were cluttering my apartment.

Is there anywhere we can get something other than Youtube highlight reels to watch these guys on? They all look good in their highlight videos, obviously. Maybe give a good and a bad game for each of the higher ranked QBs, and I can try and find a re-air of those games or something? The bad games (or adverse games, rather) can be more telling than the "good" ones, sometimes.
    -G

It's probably been stated here but on the mock drafts at CBS, one guy has us taking Russell Wilson and the other one has us taking Mike Glennon.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyFan View Post
    It's probably been stated here but on the mock drafts at CBS, one guy has us taking Russell Wilson and the other one has us taking Mike Glennon.
    I think we're a year late on Wilson...
    -G

anyone think we should trade back from 8 and acquire more picks? or should we take one of the blue chip prospects?

I think we're a year late on Wilson...
    With the 8th pick in the 2013 Buffalo Bills draft the Buffalo Bills go back in time and pick Russel Wilson.

I totally agree with you. They've been saying "next year" for years... That's why I want a QB in the 1st round regardless of it being the 1st (at 8 or later if we drop back a few picks) or a 2nd pick (if we move into the 1st round in later picks). It seems to me like there are Andy Dalton type players that are there for the taking. I don't think we need some sort of RG3 or Luck type player. By next year, I meant take one in both drafts. -Taking QBs in back to back drafts not what I want to do, but it was more an answer to the poster who said we should wait to take one next year.

(this is such a better topic than all the garbage HC threads... the draft is very interesting to me this year, especially because we have a little more leeway to move around it seems, and we are definitely taking a QB)
    I just want a QB in first two rounds. I am hoping they get the guy they think is best in the draft if it takes the 8th pick so be it but if we could get a guy in late first i would rather have a true top 10 talent.

Also this is why i made this thread i am sick of HC talk.

Is there anywhere we can get something other than Youtube highlight reels to watch these guys on? They all look good in their highlight videos, obviously. Maybe give a good and a bad game for each of the higher ranked QBs, and I can try and find a re-air of those games or something? The bad games (or adverse games, rather) can be more telling than the "good" ones, sometimes.
    I dont watch highlight videos. Fitz could look good this past year in highlight videos. Those are meant to be watched once the guy is drafted to make you feel better about the pick lol. Watch game films on youtube. Some QBs have quite a few videos on youtube which feature everyone of their passes/runs in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Talletfan56 View Post
    anyone think we should trade back from 8 and acquire more picks? or should we take one of the blue chip prospects?
    did you read any of the thread, at all? Many have said that. Is that what you want to do? Who would your blue chip pick be if it is?

Quote Originally Posted by dje85 View Post
    With the 8th pick in the 2013 Buffalo Bills draft the Buffalo Bills go back in time and pick Russel Wilson.
    I think we could trade back to the 15 spot if we're going to go back and time and pick. 8 is way too early for a time travel pick!
    -G

did you read any of the thread, at all? Many have said that. Is that what you want to do? Who would your blue chip pick be if it is?
    probably manti teo, werner from fsu, or jarvis jones, but if we could trade back to the mid first we could draft alec ogletree instead

Quote Originally Posted by Talletfan56 View Post
    probably manti teo, werner from fsu, or jarvis jones, but if we could trade back to the mid first we could draft alec ogletree instead
    So you're thinking QB in the 2nd round, then. Who do you think might be around at that point? I would be totally behind taking an LB with pick #1, but it would have to be the best one on the board (the consesus seems to be Te'O). I don't think a DE could possibly be worth it this year, given that I understand it's a deep DE class. I'd rather see WR picked before that, as I believe its' a greater area of need; or even CB.
    -G

There is way too much time between now a.nd the draft. You wait, QBs will rocket up the board. Someone like Nassib, with his bowl game performance, if he goes to any of the other "all-star" games or blows away the combine, he could find himself top 5. Someone said it earlier. QBs are graded differently, they are over valued. I believe the Bills go into draft day wanting 3 QBs. If all are still there, they just may wait and trade back up when one or two fall. I think its going to be interesting to see how this offseason plays out!
    Thank you Buddy, Thank you for bringing us Mr. Whaley.

Lets try something new. Instead of standing behind our beloved Bills, let's stand in front of them, just so they have to change direction!

You people do realize that the NFL Draft is an equation with at least 31 variables.......right? This is assuming of course that the Bills know what they are going to do themselves thus eliminating one 'unknown'.

NONE of you have a clue who will be available between the Bills picks at 8 and 40. So much can happen that it is IMPOSSIBLE to stake your claim on the strategy of moving up or down. You have to wait and see what the other teams have done and who is still on the Board, and who is not. (And that.......is what makes being the GM or HC on Draft Day so difficult.)