Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How the Bills landed Doug Marrone

Default How the Bills landed Doug Marrone

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Itís no secret now that the Bills brain trust in charge of finding the teamís new head coach had set up shop in Arizona for almost all of last week. It was there that they conducted all of their ...

Click Here For Full Story...

So from this article we know he's a great interviewer, and he got hired because he had great interviews. That's a shame, because I would've thought Nix and Russ would've been better to review the actual game film or list of coaches accomplishments. Who cares if the guy has a good interview? Having a good interview doesn't always translate to being good at your job.
    J-O-H-N-N-Y-F-O-O-T-B-A-L-L

"From our opening conversation we were so impressed that the spotlight was really on him." - Russ Brandon

So basically we have Doug Marrone because of a good first impression, and not because of his past job performance.

Quote Originally Posted by S-K-E-L-A-T-O-R View Post
    So from this article we know he's a great interviewer, and he got hired because he had great interviews. That's a shame, because I would've thought Nix and Russ would've been better to review the actual game film or list of coaches accomplishments. Who cares if the guy has a good interview? Having a good interview doesn't always translate to being good at your job.
    You're right, I bet they didn't look at any film from his time at Syracuse. Nice try troll. Let me guess, you wanted Lovie?

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Bills Fan View Post
    You're right, I bet they didn't look at any film from his time at Syracuse. Nice try troll. Let me guess, you wanted Lovie?
    If you read the article you would understand that they knew Marrone was the guy before they even interviewed Lovie and Chip Kelly.

If you read the article you would understand that they knew Marrone was the guy before they even interviewed Lovie and Chip Kelly.
    Yeah that kind of jumped out at me as well. They said the same thing during their presser too which was contradictory, at least Russ did. However, with that being said, I'm fine with it for now, the real indicator will be how this team plays come next season.
    Goonies Never Say Die
    2013 Adopt-a-Bill: Cordy "The Tank" Glenn

2013 BBMB NFL Season Pickem

So they knew they wanted him before they interviewed him? Doesn't that contradict you're first response? Who did you want for coach?

We get it, you don't like the hire. Oh well, he is the HC get over it, or will you continue to complain, which won't do you any good.

"If ever a man had it all, it would have to be me"

"living is easy with eyes closed"

Bills mock (subject to change many times by May)

1) trade with Rams again 9 for 13 + 44 Kony Ealy DE
    2) James Hurst ot N. Caro
    2)Troy Niklas TE ND
    3)Jeremiah Attaochu OLB GT
    4) Kenny Ladler DB Vandy
    5)Andrew Jackson MLB W. Kent.
    7)Russell Bodine C,G N. Caro

Some fans would complain if we resurrected Vince Lombardi to coach the Bills.

This was a great article. I was wondering how it all unfolded, and this explains how they went through the process. I just have to smh at people who invent reasons to dislike whatever the Bills do. People kvetch when the process takes too long. They kvetch when the candidate is not the "name" candidate. It's just what people do.

I'm grateful to see a definite change in how fast things are getting done at OBD. And yes, when there are SIX HC vacancies (or was it five?), you don't have the luxury of sitting on your hands too long.
    Thanks to -realfan- for the beautiful tribute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wquq4DTbC9E

Twitter @wyobilzfan

No. Read the article. It says they knew they wanted him after his interview because it was such a great first impression. Too bad this was before they had a chance to interview Lovie Smith and Chip Kelly, who are 2 proven winning head coaches. The article makes no mention of wanting to hire Marrone because of his credentials. It only mentions how they were blown away by his interviews. That leaves me to believe this was a decision based on Marrone's personality, and not by his body of work.

Definitely going to give him a chance... Looking forward to seeing how he fills his staff...

Quote Originally Posted by bilzfancy View Post
    We get it, you don't like the hire. Oh well, he is the HC get over it, or will you continue to complain, which won't do you any good.
    Actually I'm analyzing new information, making observations, and forming opinions. This news article doesn't suggest a positive hiring process therefore I'm not going to support it.

I still love the Bills though. Go Bills.

No. Read the article. It says they knew they wanted him after his interview because it was such a great first impression. Too bad this was before they had a chance to interview Lovie Smith and Chip Kelly, who are 2 proven winning head coaches. The article makes no mention of wanting to hire Marrone because of his credentials. It only mentions how they were blown away by his interviews. That leaves me to believe this was a decision based on Marrone's personality, and not by his body of work.
    What makes you think personality is not important? The credentials ARE there and if you have to choose between a group of highly qualified candidates, personality IS one of the most important intangibles.

OMG.

Thanks to -realfan- for the beautiful tribute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wquq4DTbC9E

Twitter @wyobilzfan

Quote Originally Posted by wyo View Post
    What makes you think personality is not important? The credentials ARE there and if you have to choose between a group of highly qualified candidates, personality IS one of the most important intangibles.

OMG.

Personality and likability by Brandon and Nix does NOT EQUAL success as a NFL head coach. Previous success as a coach would be a better indicator for success in the future. Maybe they did review his body of work, but the article suggests this was a decision heavily based on personality instead of his body of work, therefore why should I assume otherwise?

"From our opening conversation we were so impressed that the spotlight was really on him." - Russ Brandon

So basically we have Doug Marrone because of a good first impression, and not because of his past job performance.
    They already knew the history of all the coaches before the interviews even took place. You can keep crying all you want. This is our coach. Deal with it or move on.

Actually I'm analyzing new information, making observations, and forming opinions. This news article doesn't suggest a positive hiring process therefore I'm not going to support it.

I still love the Bills though. Go Bills.
    Well... like you just dog the bills... look in the mirror. You are making a judgement based on the fact that they didnt get who you wanted them too. So in your eyes this guy must be garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by wyo View Post

OMG.

Wyo, this is the same guy who called me bigoted because I dared to challenge his inanity. So now you should pick a HC but not interview the guy, apparently. Makes total sense, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7975 View Post
    They already knew the history of all the coaches before the interviews even took place. You can keep crying all you want. This is out coach. Deal with it or move on.
    Right and that's even more reason that you don't you get swept off your feet by a guys interviewing skills which is exactly what this article suggests. I would've rather had the article say "we knew Marrone was our guy before the interviews even began". Unfortunately, that's not what is going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by indybillsfan View Post
    Wyo, this is the same guy who called me bigoted because I dared to challenge his inanity. So now you should pick a HC but not interview the guy, apparently. Makes total sense, doesn't it?
    You didn't challenge my insanity as you put it. You threatened me and told me to leave the PUBLIC message board, because you disagree with my opinions.

After we had gone through four or five days with around the clock talks with candidates we decided to make the decision with coach. He was very high on the radar of some other clubs
    Let this sink in your head. You dont get high on the radar of other teams without having a solid resume. Let it also sink in that they didnt make this decision in an hour like you try to convey. This decision was made over 4 to 5 days.