Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WGR: What would the Bills look like as a 3-4 team?

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

I would find a coach that will install the old Bears 46 defense and attack.

I hate our LBs.

I hate them more in a 3 - 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by likei'vebeentherebefore View Post
    the choice is made the traveler has come

your new name is... Mom'z_Spaghetti
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom'z_Spaghetti View Post
    nnnooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Denverbill View Post
    I hate our LBs.

I hate them more in a 3 - 4.
    How do you hate them more when there are less?
    Quote Originally Posted by teef View Post
    when i was staying at the belhurst castle in geneva, they had a red wine tap right outside of the room i was staying in. literally 2 feet away. it got to the point where i wasn't even putting on pants to tap more. i had red wine over everything i owned. when the tap ran dry, i called down to the front desk demanding they change it. i was given a stern, "no".

Quote Originally Posted by NOVABilliever View Post
    How do you hate them more when there are less?
    Anderson and Williams as LBs is a waste and simply yuck. They won't be able to cover for crap.

Shepp is the only guy who was intended for a 3 - 4 when drafted.

Its hilarious to me that anyone would even consider putting Mario as a 3-4 end. No. Just no.
    Quote Originally Posted by okbills View Post
    JP Losman Will Be a 1st String NFC QB in 2009
    Chicago, Minnesota or Detroit.
    Anybody else on board with this notion?
    - August 26th 2008

Anderson and Williams as LBs is a waste and simply yuck. They won't be able to cover for crap.

But Williams was great as an OLB two years ago, and we have Merriman, who may end up starting next year anyway.
    when i was staying at the belhurst castle in geneva, they had a red wine tap right outside of the room i was staying in. literally 2 feet away. it got to the point where i wasn't even putting on pants to tap more. i had red wine over everything i owned. when the tap ran dry, i called down to the front desk demanding they change it. i was given a stern, "no".

Carrington as well. Spencer Johnson was brought in because of his flexibility to play in both. I'm sure there are others as well that I'm forgetting.
    - August 26th 2008

Quote Originally Posted by mkeller25 View Post
    Its hilarious to me that anyone would even consider putting Mario as a 3-4 end. No. Just no.
    Why is that??? I must know.

Quote Originally Posted by NOVABilliever View Post
    But Williams was great as an OLB two years ago, and we have Merriman, who may end up starting next year anyway.
    Great?

Also counting on Merriman is like counting on Fitz to have a good game. Once in a while it appears, but usually not.

I still don't understand the argument that we are a 4-3 team considering we spent 2010 and 2011 running the 3-4 as our base defense.

Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley cut their teeth with 3-4 teams, and most of the players they drafted prior to 2012 were exclusively for this defense.

Some of you can choose to ignore the facts...but the facts say we are better off running the 3-4 as our base defense than the 4-3, especially with the LB position in such disarray right now.

Either way I'm fine with whatever direction we go on defense going forward, but if we stick with a true 4-3 we better get a guy that knows how to run it and bring some innovation to table.

Great?

Also counting on Merriman is like counting on Fitz to have a good game. Once in a while it appears, but usually not.
    He's trolling you I think Denver....

Quote Originally Posted by MoormanRules8 View Post
    Pfffttt... All he needs to do is take off his shirt and show his golden manlocks to me. I'd jump in that boat willingly.

Quote Originally Posted by MoormanRules8 View Post
    I'm not!

Look. I don't care what you think about Williams, Anderson, Merriman, or hell, even MOATS at OLB. The fact of the matter is that Merriman and Williams are at LEAST average OLBs. I'd rather have two average players on the field than one awful one (any of our 4-3 LBs). Additionally, Dareus is better suited for the NT position and had a great year there.

Nix's worst draft was scouting for 3-4 defenses players. Don't really know how he kept his job either.

Quote Originally Posted by My Source View Post
    Why is that??? I must know.
    1) I don't even think Mario would do it. If he did, I doubt he'd be happy about it.... you just convinced him to come here last year and paid him like a premier pass rusher. You don't take a commitment like that and just throw it out the window.
    2) He's not played that position his entire career. When he was in the 3-4 he played as a rush linebacker, not a 3-4 end.
    3) My understanding of a 3-4 end, like a 3-4 NT, is to control blockers and free up the LBers to make plays. Why you would ask Mario to do that is beyond me. You want Mario to be getting off blocks and making plays when he can. You ask a guy like Dwan Edwards to do that. You ask a guy like Spencer Johnson to do that. You don't ask an athlete the caliber of Mario to do that.
    4) Too many people say oh, well he'll just be like JJ Watt. Tell me how many guys outside of JJ Watt, play that position and produce like him? I can only think of one - Bruce.
    - August 26th 2008

Again, there is really no difference. 3-4 and 4-3 are just alignments. Football is FAR more gray than the way most fans in this thread are describing it.

I'd like us to stay in a 4-3...

LE: Dareus-Anderson
    DT: Williams-Rookie/FA-Carrington
    RE: Williams-Moore-Merriman

WLB: Rookie
    MLB: Barnett/Shepp (for now)
    SLB: Bradham
    Hopelessly devastated Bills fan.

Quote Originally Posted by cdub_bills_12 View Post
    I'd like us to stay in a 4-3...

LE: Dareus-Anderson
    DT: Williams-Rookie/FA-Carrington
    RE: Williams-Moore-Merriman

WLB: Rookie
    MLB: Barnett/Shepp (for now)
    SLB: Bradham
    Dareus doesn't play end in a 4-3.....
    - August 26th 2008

I love Kyle, but I'm at the point where I'd let him go, he's been injured too much. My 3 down would be LDE Dareus, NT Troup or rookie (Star Lotulelei or Jesse Williams or Johnathan Jenkins) and Carrington at RDE.
    Con - victimize: deprive of by deceit;

I'm forty. For 75% of my life the Bills have sucked. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeller25 View Post
    1) I don't even think Mario would do it. If he did, I doubt he'd be happy about it.... you just convinced him to come here last year and paid him like a premier pass rusher. You don't take a commitment like that and just throw it out the window.
    2) He's not played that position his entire career. When he was in the 3-4 he played as a rush linebacker, not a 3-4 end.
    3) My understanding of a 3-4 end, like a 3-4 NT, is to control blockers and free up the LBers to make plays. Why you would ask Mario to do that is beyond me. You want Mario to be getting off blocks and making plays when he can. You ask a guy like Dwan Edwards to do that. You ask a guy like Spencer Johnson to do that. You don't ask an athlete the caliber of Mario to do that.
    4) Too many people say oh, well he'll just be like JJ Watt. Tell me how many guys outside of JJ Watt, play that position and produce like him? I can only think of one - Bruce.
    Well, then you don't understand the 3-4. I kind of explained in a post above how Mario would work on a 3-4 end role.

As far as a 3-4 end's job? It's not to take up blockers. It's a 1 gap assignment. A 5 tech needs to be able to get after the QB and stop the run. But, read my signature. Keep Mario on the weak side as an end. He will be lined up outside of a tackle with no TE. He's free to pass rush. There are tons of things to do where there is really no change for him, other than having to line up on either side.

There is a lot of info out there on x's and o's of football. You can find playbooks, videos, books, everything. I coach, and I'm always trying to find new tweaks and trying to see if new tweaks I've thought of will work. If you get time, check we stuff out. It's crazy addictive.

I would also like to see an X's and O's forum here where we can talk about football that doesn't fall in other categories. People would learn a lot. We have some real football people on this board. Plus, I really enjoy talking it and learning new things.