Thread: Pettine Called Plays

Default Pettine Called Plays

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

I found a couple articles that cite he did in fact call plays for those who were wondering. In 2011 he shared play calling duties with Rex, and in second half of 2012 he called all the plays.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...runs-d-with-me

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said he and head coach Rex Ryan have been calling the defensive plays together this season, a possible indication that Ryan has taken a more involved role with the defense lately.

"As it's gone through the whole year, we have done it together," Pettine said. "And it's been by opponent, it's been by series and it's kind of been by feel. It's nice to have the ability if things are not going well, go ahead and switch it up. If things are going well, hey, let it ride."

Pettine said that the benefit of both he and Ryan calling plays is that opponents can't key in on one tendency.

"When you have two guys calling it, you go ahead and chart it and you don't know who is calling it," Pettine said. "It's been a process we have gone through all year and it's gone back and forth. So it's something we'll continue to do."

Pettine said that he and Ryan sometimes argue so much that other members of the staff wonder if there's a potential problem. But the two have worked together for so long and developed a close enough bond that they're like brothers.

"It's funny," Pettine said. "I think it could be if anybody ever recorded the conversations on the headset, we would have our own reality show."

"People say we are like brothers on the headset, and that after the game, we have been approached like, 'Hey, are you and Rex okay?'" he continued. "We're like, 'We're smoking cigars in the parking lot after the game.' Of course we are okay. Half of it, you don't even remember. We both have opinions and he trusts me enough and he didn't want to hire a guy that was a yes man. It gets competitive and heated at times. I think it's for the best."
    http://proplayerinsiders.com/mike-pe...er+Insiders%29

During Tuesday morning’s press conference, Jets head coach Rex Ryan stated that Mike Pettine would not return as the Jets defensive coordinator in 2013.

Pettine served has as the Jets defensive coordinator for the past four years and was responsible for calling all defensive plays in the second half of the 2012 season.

Pettine, who has voiced desires to get out from under the shadow of Rex Ryan, turned down a contract extensive with the Jets and will interview for the Bills’ defensive coordinator position, although a timetable has not been set for the interview.

“I thought it would be good to be exposed to a different style of coaching, a different system,” Pettine said. “It’s like continuing education, the more things you can expose yourself too, it’s beneficial. It’s certainly not a knock on the Jets. I still haven’t ruled out a return. It’s just something that, when I consulted with my agent, (turning down an extension with the Jets) felt like the right thing to do at that time.”

Pettine does not know new Bills coach Doug Marrone but heard from him soon after he took the job
    Another article that confirms and sheds some more light. It goes far as to credit him with 98 percent of the play calls according to their secondary coach, Dennis Thurman.

http://thejetsblog.com/main-page/mik...of-play-calls/

Rex Ryan often gets a lot of credit for the Jets defense, but it’s becoming increasingly clear that Defensive Coordinator Mike Pettine is the one who is running the defense, and now is running it almost exclusively for his head coach, Rex Ryan.

Via Jenny Vrentas of the Star-Ledger.

Pettine is the lead play-caller this season. Rex Ryan held that role in his first year as head coach, and the two shared duties last season, before shifting to this arrangement in Year Three.

“We’ve collaborated some, but I’ve handled the majority of it,” Pettine said. “A lot of them are pre-set based on the situation, and he and I have been around each other enough, and he trusts me enough, because we think the same thing a lot anyway, that he’s given me that freedom.”

Secondary coach Dennis Thurman, who radios the call he hears on the headset to middle linebacker David Harris, projects that Pettine makes about 98 percent of the defensive calls.

Pettine has been awesome for the Jets over his three years, and I’ve really come to appreciate the balance he brings to Rex Ryan. I do think that this season started out a little bit rockier than the team might have liked, but if he was running the defense on his own now, it starts to make a little more sense. Were there execution issues too? For sure. But at this point it looks like it’s starting to work a lot more smoothly for the Jets as the team’s defense has jumped up the rankings in recent weeks.

I think we saw the maturation in Pettine’s playcalling, even within the last Patriots game … let’s see how it works out this time around …
    Last edited by bills4life911; 01-09-2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Adding another link

Interesting...sounds like feuding bros now. I know he needed job but to go in division is to make point to rex

Quote Originally Posted by bills_fan46 View Post
    Interesting...sounds like feuding bros now. I know he needed job but to go in division is to make point to rex
    I found that bit about them arguing interesting as well. At the very least, it is encouraging to know Mike actually has some Play Calling experience. I was wondering myself if he served more of a Marrone under Payton role or not.

Nice find, thanks for posting.
    justRN: "They carted off Freddies ACL after he ripped it out for being weak."

Mark Asper: "He'd come smashing in there and make a big play and he has no emotion. He just goes back to the defensive huddle, and we had to trash talk for him. Our big line was 'Kiko Smash.' "#TheLegendOfKikoAlonzo

www.billievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by bills_fan46 View Post
    that clown makes another brilliant move....way to go rexy

Another article that confirms and sheds some more light. It goes far as to credit him with 98 percent of the play calls according to their secondary coach, Dennis Thurman.

http://thejetsblog.com/main-page/mik...of-play-calls/

Rex Ryan often gets a lot of credit for the Jets defense, but it’s becoming increasingly clear that Defensive Coordinator Mike Pettine is the one who is running the defense, and now is running it almost exclusively for his head coach, Rex Ryan.

Via Jenny Vrentas of the Star-Ledger.

Pettine is the lead play-caller this season. Rex Ryan held that role in his first year as head coach, and the two shared duties last season, before shifting to this arrangement in Year Three.

“We’ve collaborated some, but I’ve handled the majority of it,” Pettine said. “A lot of them are pre-set based on the situation, and he and I have been around each other enough, and he trusts me enough, because we think the same thing a lot anyway, that he’s given me that freedom.”

Secondary coach Dennis Thurman, who radios the call he hears on the headset to middle linebacker David Harris, projects that Pettine makes about 98 percent of the defensive calls.

Pettine has been awesome for the Jets over his three years, and I’ve really come to appreciate the balance he brings to Rex Ryan. I do think that this season started out a little bit rockier than the team might have liked, but if he was running the defense on his own now, it starts to make a little more sense. Were there execution issues too? For sure. But at this point it looks like it’s starting to work a lot more smoothly for the Jets as the team’s defense has jumped up the rankings in recent weeks.

I think we saw the maturation in Pettine’s playcalling, even within the last Patriots game … let’s see how it works out this time around …