Thread: Mike Pettine intends to bring his aggressive approach to Buffalo

throwback Mike Pettine intends to bring his aggressive approach to Buffalo

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

I like that!

aggressive, in your face defense!

Bills officially hire new coordinators

Associated Press http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/88...w-coordinators

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Mike Pettine intends to bring his aggressive approach to Buffalo in a bid to transform the Bills' high-priced, yet underachieving defense.

As for providing a spark to Buffalo's sputtering offense, that's now in Nathaniel Hackett's hands.

Pettine is taking over as the Bills defensive coordinator, and Hackett will run the offense after new coach Doug Marrone filled the top two positions Thursday.

Marrone went with Pettine, based on the attacking style of defense he ran during his previous four seasons as the New York Jets' coordinator. "His defenses are known for their relentless attacking style," Marrone said, in comments distributed by the team. "That's exactly how I envisioned our defense."

On offense, the former Syracuse coach went with familiarity in having Hackett, -- his Orange offensive coordinator -- follow him to Buffalo.

"Nathaniel is on the same page with me," said Marrone, who went 25-25 in four years at Syracuse. "I felt he was the best offensive coordinator available, and that's why I hired him."

The moves were announced three days after Marrone took over in Buffalo, replacing Chan Gailey who was fired after three consecutive losing seasons.

Buffalo is coming off its second straight 6-10 finish, has not enjoyed a winning season since going 9-7 in 2004, and has not made the playoffs in 13 seasons -- the league's longest active drought.

Pettine has 12 seasons of NFL experience, having also worked as a defensive coach at Baltimore. He was available after turning down New York's offer to extend his contract last season.

In wishing Pettine well earlier this week, Jets coach Rex Ryan kidded that he hoped his assistant would wind up anywhere but Buffalo, New York's AFC East rival.

"Rex and I are like brothers, brothers that fight a lot," Pettine said, noting he watched Ryan's news conference and heard his comments. And yet Pettine still picked Buffalo.

"I love Rex, and am so thankful for the opportunity I had there," he said.

Under Pettine, New York's defense has not ranked lower than eighth in the NFL in yards allowed. And that includes a top ranking in 2009.

He takes over a Buffalo defense that last season finished 22nd in yards allowed, while giving up 435 points -- second most in team history.

That's well below the preseason expectation of a defense that included the offseason addition of Mario Williams, the defensive end who signed a six-year, $100 million contract in free agency.

"We're not going to sit back and let offenses dictate to us," he said. "So if you're going to beat us, it's because you've taken our best punch."

That's a switch from former coordinator Dave Wannstedt, who rarely blitzed.

Pettine is accustomed to a three-lineman, four-linebacker formation, while the Bills went with a 4-3 look last season. He intends to go with both formations, and fit them to the strengths of his players.

Hackett will be responsible for running Marrone's offense, which will include play-calling duties. That's a familiar position for Hackett, who has worked under Marrone for the past three years.

The Orange offense went with an up-tempo approach in setting numerous school records. Syracuse posted an 8-5 finish, including a 38-14 win over West Virginia in the Pinstripe Bowl last month. The offense set records for yards per game (476), yards passing (3,757), first downs (328) and touchdowns passing (26).

Hackett is familiar with the Bills. He previously served as the team's offensive quality control coach from 2008-09, with his final year in Buffalo coinciding with the arrival of starting quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Hackett inherits an offense that finished 19th in yards gained and 21st in points.

The unit's production dropped as the season progressed. After the offense combined for 15 touchdowns in Buffalo's first four games of the season, it managed just 21 over the final 12.

Fitzpatrick's future is uncertain in Buffalo, and he's due a $3 million roster bonus in March. General manager Buddy Nix has already said he plans to select a quarterback in the draft in April. He also hasn't ruled out the possibility of acquiring one in free agency or through a trade.

One draft candidate could be former Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib, who is projected to be a second- or third-round pick.

"Ryan Nassib is a talented player," Hackett said. "I think right now, it is all about evaluating our Buffalo Bills team first."

Boy oh boy, am I going to miss a vanilla base 4-3 with no adjustments every Sunday. Kidding.

Looking forward to finally having an aggressive D. Let's go.
    I may not go to church, but I pay for my sins by being a Buffalo Bills fan.

Also, thanks for posting, DBFS1973!
    I may not go to church, but I pay for my sins by being a Buffalo Bills fan.

Thanks for posting 73!

I'm very intrigued by what Pettine brings, I think the Bills have better natural pass rushers than the Jets. So if you put those pass rushers in this attacking style they'll be even more effective.

Very excited about this move.

throwback

Quote Originally Posted by shaunta53 View Post
    Thanks for posting 73!

I'm very intrigued by what Pettine brings, I think the Bills have better natural pass rushers than the Jets. So if you put those pass rushers in this attacking style they'll be even more effective.

as am I, and you're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Battle941 View Post
    Also, thanks for posting, DBFS1973!
    anytime

felt it was worthy of its own thread. I know much has been said and posted but this article says a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by shaunta53 View Post
    Thanks for posting 73!

Ya I'm so excited to see Mario with his hand in the dirt while we bring an over load blitz to his with a linebacker and safety. That is unblockable in my opinion, obviously can't be down all the time but is going to be effective when we do.
    Sammy Freakin Watkins

Thanks for posting. As others have stated, I'm already excited for next year. I even don't mind the Hackett deal. I bet the D is excited to have Pettine too.
    "I put my thing down, flip it and reverse it."

Missy Misdemeanor Elliot

throwback

Our players should be very excited about this hire.

What a breath of fresh air that read is. If offenses beat us it will because they took our best punch. Man did I ever love reading that. Bring it on Pettine !! I can't wait to see it.
    I raised my kids as Bills fans, should social services be talking to me about that ? Is that a form of child abuse ?

Hope our D comes out swinging next year... Just blitz every single down haha j/k. I'm looking forward to seeing what Pettine does with the talent on that side of the ball, which was totally wasted this season.

Keep thinking poutine when I see his name.

Mmmmmm, poutine.

Welcome to Buffalo, Ken Whisenhunt!

I am so glad that the Bills finally hired a defensive coordinator with some testicles. I've spent years wanting the Bills defense to be aggressive, attacking and dictate to the opposing offense what they can and cannot do.

Enough of the passive crap as a base defense along with the "play not to lose" mentality. It's time for the Bills to put Mr. Bundchen on his rear end early and often.

throwback

Quote Originally Posted by Koko78 View Post
    I am so glad that the Bills finally hired a defensive coordinator with some testicles. I've spent years wanting the Bills defense to be aggressive, attacking and dictate to the opposing offense what they can and cannot do.

Enough of the passive crap as a base defense along with the "play not to lose" mentality. It's time for the Bills to put Mr. Bundchen on his rear end early and often.

right on!

I really look forward to this defense now and anticipate they will be successful with him (Pettine) leading the way!

I don't know much about football terminology. Could you please tell me what it means to have "his hand in the dirt"?

The Jets defense was really built around their secondary. They were able to bring pressure because they had Revis and Cromartie to cover on the back end. If Pettine wants to build the Bills in this image, I wonder if Milliner could be the pick at #8.
    Before you die Lonestar, there is something you should know... I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roomate.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereisalwaystomorrow View Post
    I don't know much about football terminology. Could you please tell me what it means to have "his hand in the dirt"?
    It means that literally. Hand in the dirt, starting in a 3 point stance.
    Before you die Lonestar, there is something you should know... I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roomate.

Bump goodd read

Weve needed a guy like this for a very long time.
    I cant wait to see an aggressive attacking D each sunday.

Its a good time to be a Bills fan...........christ, when was the last time we could ever say that.
    Can you dig it?

throwback

Quote Originally Posted by pocari-sweat View Post
    Weve needed a guy like this for a very long time.
    I cant wait to see an aggressive attacking D each sunday.

Its a good time to be a Bills fan...........christ, when was the last time we could ever say that.
    a long time ago my friend.

I don't know if we can consider old "swisher stick" as aggressive but it's been since that era when the team showed any real aggression and attack!

Quote Originally Posted by DaBillsFanSince1973 View Post
    a long time ago my friend.

I don't know if we can consider old "swisher stick" as aggressive but it's been since that era when the team showed any real aggression and attack!
    I thought they were fairly aggressive under Williams. Either way I'm looking forward to watch this defense take the field every gameday

sig by Slinkcsubacca

2012 Adopt-a-Bill: Rian Lindell
    2013 Adopt-a-Bill: Alan Branch