Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Salary Cap Space for all teams, Jets in trouble

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Just so long as Nix can retain our talent, Jim Overdorf's accounting wizardy will continue to serve us well.

The Jets are going to be a MESS next year.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1237006_417793431666201_616460147_n.jpg
    14 years. Our Playoff drought has entered puberty.

Quote Originally Posted by bumbles247 View Post
    The $20 million in cap space next year already includes the fact they haven't been re-signed. Not re-signing them doesn't add more space. It keeps it at $20 million.
    True, so don't worry about that $8.4M but you still get $9.9M for the cuts I outlined

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamCody View Post
    I agree with everyone but Fitz and Scott. $450,000 isn't enough savings to convince me that it is better to cut him than to bring him in to compete and tutor. And with Scott, he'll have a lot of roles to okay in a hybrid defense.
    See above for info on Scott...

As for Fitz, it's not about his cap hit it's about the $7M they will need to pay him in roster bonuses between now and September just to keep him on the team. The Cap number it self is insignificant, but the actual cash spending which could be used on players like Byrd and Levitre for signing bonus money is a big deal.

i believe money talks with byrd and he will be gone but we will keep mckelvin and levitre !

Quote Originally Posted by dddaryl View Post
    If we cut Fitz before he earns his roster and off-season workout bonus don't we save like 3-4 million ??
    Nope, cash only savings of 7 Million dollars. Cap hit, regardless of date cut, will be 10 Million...

Quote Originally Posted by Feeling On Youboty View Post
    I don't want any Jet castings. Get me Michael Johnson, Sean Smith or Mike Wallace along with keeping our guys Levitre/Byrd/McKelvin.
    I would love to add johnson and smith to our defense while keeping byrd/lev

The day that the Bills start equating the money they spend with the RESULTS they get on the field is the day that this sorry team will start to improve.

Having now finished out of the playoffs for the last 13 years, I would think they ought to have a BOAT LOAD of 'cap' space available. If not, some of these guys owe them a whopping REFUND!

That number will increase when we opt out of Fitz's contract and release Kelsay, McGee, Wilson, and Brad Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonavenger View Post
    Agreed. If they can bring in a guy, say Matt Moore, to do just as good if not better job than Fitz at half the price, while they also get a rookie QB to groom for the future, and save some money to spend on other positions where the talent available equals a team need, it seems like a given.
    I would draft 2 QB's and sign Moore - Get one in the 1st or 2nd and then one in the 5th.

You can get 2 of "your guys" to develop and a fraction of the cost.

I think levitre will end up staying hes fiance is from here and im sure she dont wanna leave her family at least i hope she keeps him here

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbaray8 View Post
    I think levitre will end up staying hes fiance is from here and im sure she dont wanna leave her family at least i hope she keeps him here
    When people are in the business of making MILLIONS of dollars at a job transfer that will last just a few short years, the hometown of their fiance is usually WAY DOWN the list of weighing factors.

Any Bills fan who reads those cap stats should be smiling ear to ear. Bills keep both Byrd and Levitre.

Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    This is fantastic news. I love any news that involves the Jets and a bad situation.
    Ain't that the truth homes. That made me LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MoormanRules8 View Post
    Bills moves to cut cap space for 2013...

Cuts based on - http://nyjetscap.com/Bills/bills2013.php and http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/

Player - Savings
    Fitz - $450,000
    Kelsay - $4,175,000
    McGee - $2,100,000
    Brad Smith - $2,750,000
    Troup - $451,250

Total Savings: $9,926,250

Do not resign:

Player - Previous salary
    Bryan Scott - $825,000
    Spencer Johnson - $4,100,000
    Tyler Thigpen - $3,000,000

Total: $8,425,000

That's $18,351,250 of open space from this previous year on top of the estimated $20,000,000 from this article making it a grand total of $38,351,250 in space.

Some will get eaten up with resigning Levitre, Byrd, Moore, McKelvin, and then filling in a back up QB, and additional depth at LB and end, but it should be far less costly than the junk we are getting rid of. We should be in very good shape for this year and carry a bunch into 2014. No reason to sign guys just to get to the cap when you can save some space for later.
    If Troup is healthy again, I don't see them cutting him. Unlike Fitz there isn't a lot of real cash savings either. They could keep him as the last DL for that contract.
    2014 Adopt a Bill---Chris Williams

Cut Kelsay, Brad Smith and McGee and your can sign Levitre and Byrd and still have $$

Allow me to state the obvious. The cap disparity between the Jets and Bills is great news for the Bills, having just hired the Jets' former defensive coordinator. The Bills can cherry pick a few choice free agency/cap casualty veterans from the Jets defense to come in and help teach the Bills what to do in Pettine's new defense, and provide veteran leadership.
    My adopt-a-Bill is Cordy Glenn.

Quote Originally Posted by MoormanRules8 View Post

See above for info on Scott...

As for Fitz, it's not about his cap hit it's about the $7M they will need to pay him in roster bonuses between now and September just to keep him on the team. The Cap number it self is insignificant, but the actual cash spending which could be used on players like Byrd and Levitre for signing bonus money is a big deal.
    Right. That's why I want us to resign him. He's also a turnover creator.

What the hell are the Jets going to do?

I mean where do they even have this money tied up?

And don't forget Revis wants another raise. That guy is going to be the highest paid player in football.
    I just don't give a stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    What the hell are the Jets going to do?

I mean where do they even have this money tied up?

And don't forget Revis wants another raise. That guy is going to be the highest paid player in football.
    Sanchize
    Goonies Never Say Die
    2013 Adopt-a-Bill: Cordy "The Tank" Glenn
    2014 Adopt-a-Bill: Stephon "Stickybomb" Gilmore

2013 BBMB NFL Season Pickem

from one of the salary cap gurus on the Jets Insider message board :

"The Jets’ cap situation is not as bad as it appears on the surface, though. They carried $3.4 million over from 2012, ESPN reported.

The Jets can easily maneuver their way under the cap by releasing linebacker Bart Scott, linebacker Calvin Pace, tackle Jason Smith and safety Eric Smith next month. That would save them $30.7 million. You can add another $1.5 million if they release quarterback Tim Tebow, as expected. Those moves would put them $12.8 million under the cap.

The problem for the Jets is that leaves them with only 10 players who were starters this year under contract

the Jets would have to hope some of their unproven draft picks from the last few years can step into starting roles."

Quote Originally Posted by 54 spielman View Post
    So, we're more than 20 million under even before cutting the likes of Kelsay and McGee? That's great to hear. No reason (other than lack of mutual interest) that we coulddn't sign our own top FA's AND get one or two impact players from another team.

For people that hate Nix, working with the cap is part of a GM's job. Seems like he got this part right on