Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyler Wilson vs. Geno Smith

Default Tyler Wilson vs. Geno Smith

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Today I was at IMG Academies is Bradenton, FL. This is where the prominent NFL prospects go to train for the combine and prep for the draft. A couple prominent guys who trained their last spring include: Kuechly, Tannehill, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins. I was fortunate to do an internship there over the summer and went for a visit today. Training there right now are Tyler Wilson, Geno Smith, Zach Dysert, Montee Ball, Manti T'eo, Barrett Jones, Luke Joeckel, and Sharif Floyd. Anyways, I paid attention to the QBs throwing today since the bills are in dire need. Some observations:
    -Geno looks like a very athletic guy with quick feet but terrible footwork
    -Tyler Wilson has the best footwork and most rhythmic drop back and cut it through the wind today which helps in buffalo
    -Zach Dysert is the streakiesy and looks like a later round pick. He threw a very wobbly ball in the wind today and often missed his receiver.
    -Geno was the most accurate but consistently had the worst footwork and poor mechanics, resulting in poorer arm strength.
    -Tyler Wilson had the most consistent mechanics and strongest arm, but missed a few easier throws. He was consistently hitting deeper routes on a line through the wind which was impressive and made me think he would fit the best for buffalos offense and elements.

Also, Tyler showed great leadership skills taking charge of the huddles with other guys and constantly encouraging all of the receivers and running backs. Geno hardly spoke and Zach kind of kept to himself. All look like decent prospects, but from what coach Weinke was saying it sounds like Tyler Wilson will be the first off the board and is a sure fire first rounder. Geno looks like he can still crack the top 10 because he has a lot of time to work on things. Also, Tyler is debating not throwing at the combine. I have pictures but they aren't the best as I wasn't supposed to be taking them.

Just a few observations.

I would love Tyler on the bills after meeting him and seeing him throw.

Lovin' this Bills Front Office's attitude this season!

Bills to-do List:

Sign Mario Williams CHECK
    Solidify O-Line CHECK
    Bolster Secondary CHECK
    Extend Freddie CHECK

Solid 2012 Draft Grade: A
    Hoping every pick pans out

CB Ron Brooks is a sleeper!

The fans on this board have been drooling over Tyler Wilson for the last year or so. If he's there at 8, and Nix passes on him, or if Nix takes another player and DOESN'T give away the store to trade back into the 1st for him there'll be a riot on here that will make the Solidarity Movement look like a peaceful protest

Tyler Wilson is probably the best QB in the draft.

He seems to have the fewest holes in his game, but I'm still not sure he goes to an NFL team and starts week 1.

Thanks for the info.

geno smith has to be the most overrated QB ever..

I just can't believe that Wilson ever looked to have superior arm strength, Geno under duress all year had velocity on all his throws, his footwork may need work, but he had no line this year and was accurate from bad positions, he is going to be the best in the draft. He is worth trading up for if the chiefs and jags will deal

Got a feeling we are getting Nassib.
    Originally Posted by lilfaith24
    Tuel is not a bad QB,you just have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by RED800 View Post
    geno smith has to be the most overrated QB ever..
    Clearly you haven't been a fan of football for very long, but you should google JaMarcus Russell

This is the Tyler Wilson you are talking about? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5-CieEqe-Y Did he just have an atrocious game or something? I know its LSU, but he is going to have to face good defenses in the NFL. He was absolutely terrible against LSU.
    NO ONE CIRCLES THE
    WAGONS LIKE THE BUFFALO BILLS!

Atrocious in these games as well against south carolina and Rutgers.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PFZ-nQhCCA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=918Kg5KYW3w He throws the ball like its a frisby and it seems to be wobbly most of the time. Not a fan of Wilson...at all. Now Russell Wilson......that's another story.
    NO ONE CIRCLES THE

Someone please show me some plays that impress you from Wilson
    NO ONE CIRCLES THE

Quote Originally Posted by popster360 View Post
    This is the Tyler Wilson you are talking about? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5-CieEqe-Y Did he just have an atrocious game or something? I know its LSU, but he is going to have to face good defenses in the NFL. He was absolutely terrible against LSU.
    A few things:

- he's got a very weird sidearm release when under pressure
    - he has zero experience under centre. Always in shotgun
    - he takes some terrible sacks. Takes a least 5 avoidable sacks. 3 times he just turtles.

Someone please show me some plays that impress you from Wilson
    4:45 mark of your video.

Not many QBs in the NFL willing to stand tall in the pocket knowing they're going to get blasted.

Seems to not have great of pocket presence and freaks out under pressure.
    NO ONE CIRCLES THE

He is no good, bills board just are desperate and want someone, I think marrone's knowledge of Geno due to playing in the big east and pinstripe bowl he will understand how much he carried his team, they attacked wvu's bad line and d, Geno should be gone after not waited on he is the only qb that will win consistently in this draft and he's a dedicated worker who takes responsibility for everything

Seems to not have great of pocket presence and freaks out under pressure.
    Ya, it seems like when his first read isn't there and there's pressure he just kind of gives up on the play and accepts that he's going to get sacked.

In the video you posted, he takes 5 avoidable sacks. 3 of which he just falls over and turtles before the pressure gets there.

Still, he makes some very good throws and shows a willingness to take a hit if the read he's looking at is open.

Quote Originally Posted by jrober38 View Post
    4:45 mark of your video.

Not many QBs in the NFL willing to stand tall in the pocket knowing they're going to get blasted.
    That was a nice play...he just seems way to inconsistent to me and I think he lacks good pocket presence and awareness which you must have in the NFL (i.e. Losman, Edwards)
    NO ONE CIRCLES THE

That was a nice play...he just seems way to inconsistent to me and I think he lacks good pocket presence and awareness which you must have in the NFL (i.e. Losman, Edwards)
    He does some good things but there is also some bad.

I think he's a much better prospect than Losman.

I think there's upside here if you sit him on the bench for a year; I'm just not sure he, or any of the QBs in this draft start Week 1 of the upcoming season.

With that said, I still think Wilson is probably the best QB in this draft. I think he has the fewest flaws relative to the other guys.

I also like Glennon a lot but get a bit scared by his inconsistent play and the fact that he throws so many passes up for grabs off his back foot.

If he can correct those things, he could be a really good player. The guy can really spin it.

- huge arm
    - elite size
    - very difficult to tackle (think Big Ben)
    - good accuracy
    - experience under centre

Out of all the QBs, I think he can really help himself at the Senior Bowl which is tailor made for him to display his arm talent.

Anybody but fitz and I swear I meant it. It's well documented that u want geno but I'd seriously take anyone and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by wvbillsfan View Post
    Anybody but fitz and I swear I meant it. It's well documented that u want geno but I'd seriously take anyone and be happy.
    So if Doug Williams or Jim Everett of Bobby Hebert each said that they're looking to make a comeback to the NFL, Nix should give them a call?