Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lions Special Teams coach asks to leave to come to Buffalo

Default Lions Special Teams coach asks to leave to come to Buffalo

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

The Detroit News is reporting that the Bills have their special teams coach.

According to the report Detroit Lions special teams coach Danny Crossman has asked out of the final year of his contract with Detroit to serve as special teams coordinator for the Bills.
    Bills head coach Doug Marrone and Crossman were teammates with the London Monarchs in the World Football League. They also coached together at the Coast Guard Academy in 1993.
    Crossman has six years NFL coaching experience, the last three of which came with the Lions. From 2007-2009 Crossman worked with the Carolina Panthers special teams units.

He also has 14 years of college coaching experience following a brief pro career as a defensive back. He played defensive back at Pitt in college.
    http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/0...or-spec-teams/

He'd be a great get with a good amount of ST experience.

interesting developments that some coaches are actually looking to come to buffalo.

to be honest, never seen something like this in 30 years I have been a fan
    You show me a pay stub for $72,000, I quit my job right now and work for you.

"Peace be with you, my brothers, and also with backup Buffalo running back C.J. Spiller." - Ruxin (The League)

How were Lions special teams?

Quote Originally Posted by EricWood69 View Post
    How were Lions special teams?
    Near the bottom of the NFL. He had a few top 10 units in Carolina though. ALso had a top 10 unit in 2010 with Detroit.

Jets can't even hire a guy that wants to become a GM yet coaches want to come to Buffalo. Interesting change.
    www.greatlook.com

Quote Originally Posted by jmroszczak View Post
    Id rather have Jauron back with THIS team...you have to admit the man was Smart.
    Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut25 View Post
    So, your brand is: terrible advice-giving pedophile?

Quote Originally Posted by DaBills4Life View Post
    Near the bottom of the NFL. He had a few top 10 units in Carolina though.
    Great.....

Quote Originally Posted by mitchmurraydowntown View Post
    He'd be a great get with a good amount of ST experience.
    Check out the article CBS sports Detriot (google it, sorry no link) it states he is leaving for being tired of explaining why his unit gave up 4 ST TD's in the last two games!! The article also states he is a good buddy of Doug Marrone...here we go again....the good old boy network!

Quote Originally Posted by BornBillfan View Post
    interesting developments that some coaches are actually looking to come to buffalo.

He and Marrone are buddies who go back a ways.
    My adopt-a-Bill is Cordy Glenn.

Quote Originally Posted by BornBillfan View Post

That's the biggest thing I'm noticing. Buffalo has become an almost desirable place to work..

It seems Marrone is a likeable and respectable guy around the league for whatever reason. It's nice for a change.

Near the bottom of the NFL. He had a few top 10 units in Carolina though. ALso had a top 10 unit in 2010 with Detroit.
    There's a lot of stuff that goes into special team success. Part of it is coaching, of course, the other part is the commitment of the head coach to special team success. If you've got a head coach who is not committed to special team success, the special team coach/coordinator gets the leftovers in terms of practice time and players (second, third, and fourth string players. Committed head coaches will put their best special team players on special teams whether or not they might be starters on offense or defense.
    My adopt-a-Bill is Cordy Glenn.

Bobby April had bottom ranked Special teams also before Buffalo. I bet Crossman looks great is McKelvin is returning punts.

We need the change regardless, so may as well just roll with it. Could be worse... we could be the Jets scrambling for talent.
    2013 Buffalo Bills Football! Nothing gets better than driving up to the Ralph,the smell of Charcoal at 8am on a gameday morning, and of course WINNING!

Bobby April had bottom ranked Special teams also before Buffalo. I bet Crossman looks great is McKelvin is returning punts.
    Crossman's issues were coverage. Not sure if Ruvelle Martin survives on the roster as a gunner, but we're going to need to have better gunners than Detroit had.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1237006_417793431666201_616460147_n.jpg
    14 years. Our Playoff drought has entered puberty.

It's nice that people actually want to leave their jobs to come to coach in Buffalo. A great sign.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybillsfan View Post
    Check out the article CBS sports Detriot (google it, sorry no link) it states he is leaving for being tired of explaining why his unit gave up 4 ST TD's in the last two games!! The article also states he is a good buddy of Doug Marrone...here we go again....the good old boy network!
    With a few very minor exceptions, this is the way all coaches are hired in the NFL. That good ol' boy network is exactly what the foundation of the league is built on. I suggest you Google the term "Coaching Tree" if you really want your mind blown. You can thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamCody View Post
    It's nice that people actually want to leave their jobs to come to coach in Buffalo. A great sign.
    Thats not the whole story unfortunately.....CBS Sports Detroit article (google it)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWien View Post
    Crossman's issues were coverage. Not sure if Ruvelle Martin survives on the roster as a gunner, but we're going to need to have better gunners than Detroit had.
    Actually their coverage was 19th in kicks and 14th in punts. Not terrible. Bills were last in punt coverage last year.