Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62

Thread: Matt Flynn on the Block

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5,665

    Default

    Buffalo Bills

    FREE iPad Download

    I'd offer no better than a 8th.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Newtown, CT
    Posts
    14,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BallHawk20 View Post
    Naw... Start fresh... Draft our own guy....
    Why not do both and let them fight for the starter position?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    8,706

    Default

    ..He's not on the block. Why do we always use absolutes when posting speculative articles?

    In any case, I found it amusing that someone on the comments section said Flynn "would be great for Andy Reid in Arizona." That post was dated today...
    Quote Originally Posted by teef View Post
    when i was staying at the belhurst castle in geneva, they had a red wine tap right outside of the room i was staying in. literally 2 feet away. it got to the point where i wasn't even putting on pants to tap more. i had red wine over everything i owned. when the tap ran dry, i called down to the front desk demanding they change it. i was given a stern, "no".

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Rochester
    Posts
    972

    Default

    rob johnson 2.0

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    15,456

    Default

    Wait for him to be released and if he isn't, then pass.
    I am not a number, I am a free robot.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Enough of this Matt Flynn to Buffalo Crap. If you could not stand Fitz why would you feel better about a Career backup. Screw all of these recycled losers let's start fresh. Tyler Wilson is who I would like to see this team Draft. And let's move forward. More Forward thinking.
    Follow Me on Twitter @lodick44 #BillsMafia 4 Life.


    Adopt A Bill 2013Kevin Kolb

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,660

    Default

    I would give them a 7th. They ripped us off in the Jackson trade. We seem to make trades with Seattle often so it would not surprise me.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    THE Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    30,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LINDA_D View Post
    It has nothing to do with the quality of the college QB class, but with the cap. The Seahags just signed Flynn to a fat contract last year, so if they simply release him, they take a cap hit. If they can con some other team into trading for him, they are off the hook for a cap hit.

    The entire myth of the magnificence of Matt Flynn is based on the big numbers he put up in his two or three games with the prolific GB offense in meaningless games. Despite the fact that Seattle had big $$$ invested in him and pegged him as their starter, Flynn lost his job to a rookie QB who was a third rounder, a kid that Seattle was NOT being pressured to start. In training camp no less. Now, I love Russell Wilson, but no rookie QB should be able to do that to a competent veteran QB in training camp.

    Pass on Flynn.
    Only 2 million left is guaranteed to Flynn.

    Flynn wasn't brought in to start, or "pegged to be the starter." He was brought in to compete with Tarvaris Jackson.

    Flynn didn't "lose his job" to Russell Wilson. Russell Wilson won the job, which was an open competition.

    I could continue, but it gets kinda boring.
    Last edited by jayryp80; 01-15-2013 at 12:58 PM.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    15,851

    Default

    Id be fine with trading for him but as long as it doesn't alter their plans to draft a QB

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,402

    Default

    I'm not sure I'd want to trade for Flynn, personally I just assume sign a FA like Chase Daniel. Who is pretty much the same type of QB that has played behind an elite franchise QB for several years.

  11. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LINDA_D View Post
    It has nothing to do with the quality of the college QB class, but with the cap. The Seahags just signed Flynn to a fat contract last year, so if they simply release him, they take a cap hit. If they can con some other team into trading for him, they are off the hook for a cap hit.

    The entire myth of the magnificence of Matt Flynn is based on the big numbers he put up in his two or three games with the prolific GB offense in meaningless games. Despite the fact that Seattle had big $$$ invested in him and pegged him as their starter, Flynn lost his job to a rookie QB who was a third rounder, a kid that Seattle was NOT being pressured to start. In training camp no less. Now, I love Russell Wilson, but no rookie QB should be able to do that to a competent veteran QB in training camp.

    Pass on Flynn.
    Wilson is significantly better than even Carroll thought when they drafted him. Not a knock on Flynn, Wilson is just that good and will continue to get better. Flynn could be a great pick but Seattle is probably laughing at the Bills for giving away a 7th round and paying the Seahawks a million $ for their 3rd string QB to carry a clipboard and walk the next season. Seahawks would probably take advantage of the Bills if they traded Flynn to Buffalo and turn around and sign T-Jax as a backup to WIlson.
    “Win or lose, they’re going to know we fought. We may not win every fight, but they’re going to know they were in a fight, and that’s the kind of team we’re going to put on the field.” -- Doug Whaley, Buffalo Bills GM

    ADOPT-A-BILL: Tony Moeaki 06/01/2014

  12. #32

    Default

    Seahawks owe us for that Lynch trade. If offer a 4th and hope they bite.

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feeling On Youboty View Post
    Seahawks owe us for that Lynch trade. If offer a 4th and hope they bite.
    I agree, we handed them a Pro-Bowl RB.
    2013 Buffalo Bills Football! Nothing gets better than driving up to the Ralph,the smell of Charcoal at 8am on a gameday morning, and of course WINNING!


  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Bristol, CT
    Posts
    14,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LINDA_D View Post
    It has nothing to do with the quality of the college QB class, but with the cap. The Seahags just signed Flynn to a fat contract last year, so if they simply release him, they take a cap hit. If they can con some other team into trading for him, they are off the hook for a cap hit.

    The entire myth of the magnificence of Matt Flynn is based on the big numbers he put up in his two or three games with the prolific GB offense in meaningless games. Despite the fact that Seattle had big $$$ invested in him and pegged him as their starter, Flynn lost his job to a rookie QB who was a third rounder, a kid that Seattle was NOT being pressured to start. In training camp no less. Now, I love Russell Wilson, but no rookie QB should be able to do that to a competent veteran QB in training camp.

    Pass on Flynn.
    Why do you think the Lions game didn't matter? It didn't matter for the Packers but it meant something to the Lions, which is more important. And Flynn still beat a team that wanted to get a better seed in the playoffs.

    So basically your opinion on him is not based on anything whatsoever. You assume his skill set sucks because of where he was drafted, you assume the games he played meant nothing and guess what, you are wrong on all of that.

    Go watch some of his throws in that Lions game. And I would love to see what your posts were when Brian Brohm was here. The whole board loved that bum for some reason and I was trying to tell everyone about Matt Flynn.
    When the Bills hired Jauron and Gailey, the team's misfortunes were 100% predictable. At least Marrone has a chance to succeed.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Jamestown, NY
    Posts
    27,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jayryp80 View Post
    Only 2 million left is guaranteed to Flynn.

    Flynn wasn't brought in to start, or "pegged to be the starter." He was brought in to compete with Tarvaris Jackson.
    They paid Flynn $10 million to "compete" with Jackson. Right. If the Bills had signed Peyton Manning last spring for whatever the Donkeys paid him, would he have truly had to "compete" with Ryan Fitzpatrick?

    Quote Originally Posted by jayryp80 View Post
    Flynn didn't "lose his job" to Russell Wilson. Russell Wilson won the job, which was an open competition.

    I could continue, but it gets kinda boring.
    Right-o. A third round rookie makes the high priced veteran FA look second rate, and you think it's just that the rookie is that good ... in training camp? Okay.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big D for Big B View Post
    Wilson is significantly better than even Carroll thought when they drafted him. Not a knock on Flynn, Wilson is just that good and will continue to get better. Flynn could be a great pick but Seattle is probably laughing at the Bills for giving away a 7th round and paying the Seahawks a million $ for their 3rd string QB to carry a clipboard and walk the next season. Seahawks would probably take advantage of the Bills if they traded Flynn to Buffalo and turn around and sign T-Jax as a backup to WIlson.
    Wilson wasn't that good early in TC and early in the season. He looked like the rookie he was, and most of their offense was simply handing off to Marshawn. It was later in the season that he started to improve in the passing game. If Flynn couldn't hand off any better than a rookie, then that's on Flynn NOT on Wilson.

    IMO, Wilson may become the best QB to come out of this draft. I was amazed by his poise and his maturity in the Atlanta game. However, in August, he was still a green rookie with a big arm who had NOT yet played in a regular season NFL game. He should NOT have beaten out Flynn for the starting job if Flynn was a starting caliber NFL QB. Flynn is a Rob Johnson or a Kevin Kolb, a backup QB who puts up some big numbers with talented teams in a handful of games but can't produce regularly. As I said, pass on Flynn.
    Should have kept Marshawn ... and Andy ... Jairus ...

    Buffalo Bills, 2000-????: same trailer, different park.
    1999 ... 11-5, playoff loss
    2000 .... 8-8
    2001 .... 3-13
    2002 .... 8-8
    2003 ... 6-10
    2004 ... 9-7
    2005 ... 5-11
    2006 ... 7-9
    2007 ...
    7-9
    2008 ... 7-9
    2009 ... 6-10
    2010 ... 4-12
    2011 ...
    6-10
    2012 ... 6-10
    2013 ... 6-10

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Jamestown, NY
    Posts
    27,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackington View Post
    Why do you think the Lions game didn't matter? It didn't matter for the Packers but it meant something to the Lions, which is more important. And Flynn still beat a team that wanted to get a better seed in the playoffs.

    So basically your opinion on him is not based on anything whatsoever. You assume his skill set sucks because of where he was drafted, you assume the games he played meant nothing and guess what, you are wrong on all of that.

    Go watch some of his throws in that Lions game. And I would love to see what your posts were when Brian Brohm was here. The whole board loved that bum for some reason and I was trying to tell everyone about Matt Flynn.
    Kevin Kolb looked great in the 3 or 4 games he played subbing for McNabb. How'd he do in Arizona? Sorry, but backup QBs who look good playing a few games for powerhouse offenses seldom work out when they go elsewhere, especially when they can't even beat out rookies in TC.
    Should have kept Marshawn ... and Andy ... Jairus ...

    Buffalo Bills, 2000-????: same trailer, different park.
    1999 ... 11-5, playoff loss
    2000 .... 8-8
    2001 .... 3-13
    2002 .... 8-8
    2003 ... 6-10
    2004 ... 9-7
    2005 ... 5-11
    2006 ... 7-9
    2007 ...
    7-9
    2008 ... 7-9
    2009 ... 6-10
    2010 ... 4-12
    2011 ...
    6-10
    2012 ... 6-10
    2013 ... 6-10

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,712

    Default

    Seattle only gave up a 4th for Lynch (1st rd and starter). Surely a backup QB is only worth another 7th. They want to unload salary.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    THE Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    30,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LINDA_D View Post
    They paid Flynn $10 million to "compete" with Jackson. Right. If the Bills had signed Peyton Manning last spring for whatever the Donkeys paid him, would he have truly had to "compete" with Ryan Fitzpatrick?

    Right-o. A third round rookie makes the high priced veteran FA look second rate, and you think it's just that the rookie is that good ... in training camp? Okay.



    Wilson wasn't that good early in TC and early in the season. He looked like the rookie he was, and most of their offense was simply handing off to Marshawn. It was later in the season that he started to improve in the passing game. If Flynn couldn't hand off any better than a rookie, then that's on Flynn NOT on Wilson.

    .
    Continue arguing with me. You'll continue to be wrong...Like usual.

    He was brought in to compete for a job. FACT. Also, a direct quote from Pete Carroll. Who said so all throughout the process. Then again, I only live here so I hear about it every tday.

    And he only got a 6 million signing bonus with 2 million guaranteed. Not that much.

    And Wilson didn't make Flynn look "second rate." That 3rd round pick was THAT good.

    I suggest you clean out your eyes.

    And for the record, I'm not advocating signing Flynn. I'm just more interested in showing you you're once again, incorrect.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Bristol, CT
    Posts
    14,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LINDA_D View Post
    Kevin Kolb looked great in the 3 or 4 games he played subbing for McNabb. How'd he do in Arizona? Sorry, but backup QBs who look good playing a few games for powerhouse offenses seldom work out when they go elsewhere, especially when they can't even beat out rookies in TC.
    But Kolb never actually looked good in those games. I watched them and said so at the time. He had a ton of INTs. Flynn has always looked good to me and he won a National Championship.

    And who cares that he can't beat out Russell Wilson? Wilson won a playoff game before Matt Ryan did! My argument is not that he is better than Wilson, it's that he's way better than Ryan Fitzpatrick and more of a sure thing than the question marks coming out of college.

    There are 3 scenarios when the draft rolls around:

    1. Draft the right QB
    2. Draft the wrong QB
    3. Want to draft the right or wrong QB but have another team draft him first

    Two of those scenarios suck. Matt Flynn hedges against that.
    When the Bills hired Jauron and Gailey, the team's misfortunes were 100% predictable. At least Marrone has a chance to succeed.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,413

    Default

    I don't think any of the QB's from the draft will be able to start immediately. Maybe Barkley but even that is questionable. So the Bills have to have a veteran QB on the roster.

    Do you want it to be Fitz for 7M ? If not, who should it be ?

    I could think of a lot worse guys than Flynn to have around. He might be good. We know the vast majority of the retread QB's available are PROVEN not good.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •