Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ranking team needs:Buffalo Bills

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Quote Originally Posted by Jm2009 View Post
    Unbelievable, isn't it? That is our number 1 priority by far. When you see how the rookies have done in the playoffs-guys we could have had, and people still would start Fitz, they must be all in on the 20 year rebuild plan.
    I just hope and pray he's cut before the March deadline so it's a non issue come training camp.

I have to believe it will be an easy decision when Marrone studies the game film and watches this guy struggle to complete routing passes and get his WR's killed almost every throw.

And when he sees turnover after turnover in critical situations it's just icing on the cake.

Why do people continue to overlook CB? Is it because they are sick of drafting DBs every year who don't pan out? That's fair, but at the end of the day, there is one capable CB in this roster. ONE

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamsWreckingCrew View Post
    But according some people here QB isn't even a need on this team, let alone the #1 priority.
    According to who? 2 people. Lets not get our panties in a bunch because 2 people think Fitz is good enough.

I just hope and pray he's cut before the March deadline so it's a non issue come training camp.

I have to believe it will be an easy decision when Marrone studies the game film and watches this guy struggle to complete routing passes and get his WR's killed almost every throw.

And when he sees turnover after turnover in critical situations it's just icing on the cake.
    What are you afraid of? If he isnt good enough for the job then it will show in training camp as well. Not sure what issue there would be.

throwback

Quote Originally Posted by LINDA_D View Post
    Who is going to beat Fitzpatrick out of a job in training camp? Tarvaris Jackson? Tyler Thigpen?

Either the Bills are going to release Fitzpatrick early to save actual cash which will leave them without a viable starting QB, or they will just go with Fitz and a rookie plus somebody like Jackson or Thigpen as the third QB. Economics kinda dictates that they do one or the other.

It's unlikely that the Bills would be able to get any experienced QB who is NOT a failed starter or has NOT been a long-term career-backup for less than $6 or 7 million a year. Flynn got $10 million last season, and he'd only started two or three games in his career. Moore, who's much like Fitzpatrick, is probably in the $6-7 million range. Smith, because of his last two seasons, is probably in the $8-12 million range depending upon how willing teams are to take a chance on him. Remember that Smith tested the waters last season, and nobody, including Miami, was willing to pay him.

Whether Fitzpatrick goes or stays, he'll count about $10 million against the cap in 2013, and that will be a factor in the Bills' calculations, especially if they have their eyes on a QB in the draft.
    are you assuming they will even be on the roster?

seriously, you may find all three gone, you don't know, nor do I. but it would seem a new coach would replace the three present scrubs with a new qb, likely the one from the draft.

look, outside of this board, especially the sports media, don't see fitz as the answer for the future. you seem to think so, I don't, quite a few here don't and most certainly the media doesn't and chances, IMO, Marrone wont either.

quit trying to make your own sense out of keeping fitz, it makes you look like a homer of a bad, yes bad, qb.

Quote Originally Posted by Luka_GoBills View Post
    I think this is pretty much dead on. I think the question lies in, where does each need get filled in the draft? While they can certainly chase free agents as well, they need to draft all three of these positions with the first three picks. If the pundits are to be believed, I am thinking:

1) LB
    2) QB
    3) WR

or

1) WR
    2) QB
    3) LB
    .....completely agree......the order will be determined by bpa, which I used to hate but now realize that's the only way to go to safeguard picks....also don't forget that our 4th need is probably cb since we don't know what's going to happen to McKelvin or what position Aaron Williams will end up at?.....I'm seeing some mocks lately showing no qb's going at all in the 1st round.....I know this is a weak qb class but how nuts is that!
    1. Mike Evans / WR / Texas A&M
    2. Austin Seferian-Jenkins / TE / Washington
    3. Juwuan James / OT / Tenn.
    4. Shayne Skov / ILB / Stanford
    5. Cassius Marsh / DE / UCLA
    7. Logan Thomas / QB / Virginia Tech

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and conveniences,
    but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy ".......Martin Luther King

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
    Draft two QBs this year and draft another next season. All this talk that this draft class of QBs is no good is all talk just like every off season, wait till next season for Barkley was the big talk last season now again Buffalo is in the same boat. But to keep waiting puts Buffalo even farther behind. With the new CBA if a team screws up drafting one they are not tied to him and can draft another the following year. Washington drafted two last season and it paid off
    Draft at least one every season till we find one.
    Buffalo needs 3 new QBs increase the odds at finding one by draft more of them. Buffalo has nothing at QB, draft so at least we have something instead of absolutely nothing.
    .....it's extremely refreshing to see more and more people like yourself who believe like I do that we need to draft 2 qb's this april.....this is NOT a crazy plan but one that will increase our "odds" of landing our future guy.....we do need 3 qb's and hopefully the current ones will all be gone by april.....I know we need lb's, wr's and even a cb or 2, but I'd even go as far as drafting qb's at 8 & 41.....some will call me crazy, but last time I checked, the QB position is still the most important in all of sports and we've been without a good one for 13 years.....have 2 young kids battle it out in camp and maybe we find that diamond in the rough....
    1. Mike Evans / WR / Texas A&M
    2. Austin Seferian-Jenkins / TE / Washington
    3. Juwuan James / OT / Tenn.
    4. Shayne Skov / ILB / Stanford
    5. Cassius Marsh / DE / UCLA
    7. Logan Thomas / QB / Virginia Tech

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and conveniences,
    but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy ".......Martin Luther King

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7975 View Post
    What are you afraid of? If he isnt good enough for the job then it will show in training camp as well. Not sure what issue there would be.
    I'm not afraid of anything, I just want real change.

What concerns me though is a lot of people truly believe that coaching is/was the main problem with this team in recent years when that is just a fallacy. Coaching has been part of the problem for sure, but after 13 years you have to look at the cold hard facts....and the main problem is talent, we still don't have the players necessary to compete with the big boys in this league and it all starts at the QB position.

I'm not afraid of anything, I just want real change.

What concerns me though is a lot of people truly believe that coaching is/was the main problem with this team in recent years when that is just a fallacy. Coaching has been part of the problem for sure, but after 13 years you have to look at the cold hard facts....and the main problem is talent, we still don't have the players necessary to compete with the big boys in this league and it all starts at the QB position.
    No man, you are afraid Fitz will still be here and may even start. People dont "Hope and Pray, he is cut before camp" and post Fitz is gone in every possible thread they can find... If they arent afraid.

So you are saying that Chan and Dave Wanstedt, Mularky and Jauron were good coaches that could have got the job done?

throwback

No man, you are afraid Fitz will still be here and may even start. People dont "Hope and Pray, he is cut before camp" and post Fitz is gone in every possible thread they can find... If they arent afraid.

So you are saying that Chan and Dave Wanstedt, Mularky and Jauron were good coaches that could have got the job done?
    question

are you defending fitz?

you're reminding me of how adamant you were in the vy threads last offseason.

you're not flip flopping here are you? I mean, you seem to have some football knowledge so I believe you are aware of how bad fitz is, especially in clutch moments. I'm not going to dig up threads but I do recall how sick you were after games like indy and tenn.

don't knock the folks that don't want or pray he is gone. I wont knock you for your offseason defense but will make it clear I am "one of those" that want him gone and it wont be impossible to replace him. as some have said, draft two qb's and get another vet fa. that sure as hell would be a large upgrade to what is the stable now, including fitz!

the best thing this offseason to happen besides new coaches, will be a new qb!

throwback

Quote Originally Posted by LABILLBACKER View Post
    .....it's extremely refreshing to see more and more people like yourself who believe like I do that we need to draft 2 qb's this april.....this is NOT a crazy plan but one that will increase our "odds" of landing our future guy.....we do need 3 qb's and hopefully the current ones will all be gone by april.....I know we need lb's, wr's and even a cb or 2, but I'd even go as far as drafting qb's at 8 & 41.....some will call me crazy, but last time I checked, the QB position is still the most important in all of sports and we've been without a good one for 13 years.....have 2 young kids battle it out in camp and maybe we find that diamond in the rough....
    Thanks man I feel the same about it being refreshing seeing more on the new QB wagon.
    All we can do is hope we find that diamond this draft but if we don't with the new CBA they can draft another next season. I'd rather go all in on some rookies then get stuck watching the same old Fitz fail IMO. I agree with you we have other needs but QB is the biggest since we don't have any worth keeping and wasting any more time on. Add more and create quality competition for once in the last decade. With a new rookie there is hope with Fitz there is no hope just like when Trent was here.

I'm not saying that at all, but all of them sans Malarkey have led teams to the playoffs on in the past. And even though Mularkey didn't lead the Bills or the Jags to the playoffs he did lead this team to their best single season record in the last 13 years.

What I'm saying is that coaching is only one piece of the equation. At the end of the day having good players still matters and we don't have that many good players despite what some of you believe.

But if you really think that a first time NFL HC and 33 year old OC/QB coach are going to win with a backup QB as their starter and magically do something that their predecessors couldn't I don't know what else to tell you.

Fitz is the main problem on this team and the reason we haven't gone anywhere the last 3 years......some of you simply only see what you want to despite what a majority of the fans, national media, and experts tells you.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBillsFanSince1973 View Post
    question

are you defending fitz?

you're reminding me of how adamant you were in the vy threads last offseason.

you're not flip flopping here are you? I mean, you seem to have some football knowledge so I believe you are aware of how bad fitz is, especially in clutch moments. I'm not going to dig up threads but I do recall how sick you were after games like indy and tenn.

don't knock the folks that don't want or pray he is gone. I wont knock you for your offseason defense but will make it clear I am "one of those" that want him gone and it wont be impossible to replace him. as some have said, draft two qb's and get another vet fa. that sure as hell would be a large upgrade to what is the stable now, including fitz!

the best thing this offseason to happen besides new coaches, will be a new qb!
    Nope just want someone better on the roster before he is replaced. That could be TJax for all I care but I dont want to start the season with just 1 rookie on the roster and nothing else.

TBH, while I feel we do need another genuine WR, I'd put it down the list. We get Nelson back next year, and there are a lot of WRs going to be available in FA, so I think we could get an improvement in FA, although I don't expect a 'marquee' type signing, just a solid WR who is better than what we have now, apart from Stevie.
    I'd also do that, due to the fact that improved QB play, might well show that the guys we have, aren't as bad as we think.
    I personally, would be looking at QB/LB in either order, and then maybe another CB, although CB is another area where we might be looking in FA, for a decent vet we could start opposite Gilmore, with Williams and Brooks pushing for time.
    I might even be tempted to try for 2 LBs, in the first/second round with another in the 3rd, but that would depend on what we have achieved in FA.
    People should understand that the name on the front of the uniform is more important than the one on the back.

Why bother drafting worse players than you already have on your roster?

The Ignore List is your friend.

Ranking team needs: Buffalo Bills

By James Walker | ESPN.com
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...-buffalo-bills

No. 1 need: Quarterback

Analysis: The Bills are never going to catch the New England Patriots at the top of the division unless they find a consistent quarterback. Buffalo tried to go with the inconsistent Ryan Fitzpatrick and signed him to a $59 million contract. That obviously didn't work. The Bills are expected to cut "Fitz" to prevent paying his $3 million roster bonus and $4.45 million salary. Buffalo has some flexibility. The Bills have enough cap space to chase a veteran free agent or take a top draft pick. The key will be finding the right quarterback to run new head coach Doug Marrone's offense. But Fitzpatrick is not the answer.

No. 2 need: Linebacker

Analysis: You can't run a 3-4 defense without linebackers. New defensive coordinator Mike Pettine will bring a hybrid 3-4 scheme to Buffalo. The Bills were 31st against the run and need an enforcer (or two) in the linebacking corps. The good news is the draft is filled with good linebackers. Buffalo has the No. 8 overall pick and could have access to draft top linebackers such as Alec Ogletree, Jarvis Jones and Manti Te'o. Free agency also is an option. Buffalo was pushed around way too often last year and changes need to be made.

No. 3 need: Wide receiver

Analysis: It seems every team in the AFC East needs help at wide receiver to some degree. The Bills could use another legitimate threat opposite leading receiver Steve Johnson. Buffalo's group of Donald Jones, T.J. Graham and Brad Smith never stepped forward as a dependable No. 2 option. David Nelson, who is coming back from injury, is solid but best in the slot. There are a bevy of good receivers this year in free agency. Quality receivers such as Dwayne Bowe, Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings will all look for paydays if the Bills are willing to spend. The draft is not deep with receivers. So the Bills would have to do their homework for a good find in April.
    ______

of course many will disagree with the number one need coming from espn but I tend to fully agree and if Marrone is what will turn out to be the coach I've read about when it comes to a player living up to his expectations when keeping a job, then he should clearly see through training camp/preseason that fitz definitively will not meet those expectations.

thoughts?
    I agree, i'd also add DE,RT,SS,TE,CB to that list................

throwback

Nope just want someone better on the roster before he is replaced. That could be TJax for all I care but I dont want to start the season with just 1 rookie on the roster and nothing else.
    that's good to know.

as for more than a rookie on the roster, you know there will be and I have a feeling they will be different players than on the present roster, including fitz.

that's good to know.

as for more than a rookie on the roster, you know there will be and I have a feeling they will be different players than on the present roster, including fitz.

Yeah, Id like it if they got smith or something along those lines for a Vet. IMO you got to have some kind of Vet on the roster.

throwback

Yeah, Id like it if they got smith or something along those lines for a Vet. IMO you got to have some kind of Vet on the roster.

James Walker | ESPN.com

The Bills have enough cap space to chase a veteran free agent or take a top draft pick.

Maybe we will see something like Alex Smith, T Jackson, and a rookie. Fitz and Thigpen gone.
    Originally Posted by Griff
    I'm a Bills fan, I don't feel gloom, I've been baptized in fire. Wide right, Music City Forward Lateral, Pittsburgh's third stringers, 13 years, at this point nothing but moving the team would make me feel the gloom

Ranking team needs: Buffalo Bills

By James Walker | ESPN.com
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...-buffalo-bills

No. 1 need: Quarterback

Analysis: The Bills are never going to catch the New England Patriots at the top of the division unless they find a consistent quarterback. Buffalo tried to go with the inconsistent Ryan Fitzpatrick and signed him to a $59 million contract. That obviously didn't work. The Bills are expected to cut "Fitz" to prevent paying his $3 million roster bonus and $4.45 million salary. Buffalo has some flexibility. The Bills have enough cap space to chase a veteran free agent or take a top draft pick. The key will be finding the right quarterback to run new head coach Doug Marrone's offense. But Fitzpatrick is not the answer.

No. 2 need: Linebacker

Analysis: You can't run a 3-4 defense without linebackers. New defensive coordinator Mike Pettine will bring a hybrid 3-4 scheme to Buffalo. The Bills were 31st against the run and need an enforcer (or two) in the linebacking corps. The good news is the draft is filled with good linebackers. Buffalo has the No. 8 overall pick and could have access to draft top linebackers such as Alec Ogletree, Jarvis Jones and Manti Te'o. Free agency also is an option. Buffalo was pushed around way too often last year and changes need to be made.

No. 3 need: Wide receiver

Analysis: It seems every team in the AFC East needs help at wide receiver to some degree. The Bills could use another legitimate threat opposite leading receiver Steve Johnson. Buffalo's group of Donald Jones, T.J. Graham and Brad Smith never stepped forward as a dependable No. 2 option. David Nelson, who is coming back from injury, is solid but best in the slot. There are a bevy of good receivers this year in free agency. Quality receivers such as Dwayne Bowe, Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings will all look for paydays if the Bills are willing to spend. The draft is not deep with receivers. So the Bills would have to do their homework for a good find in April.
    ______

of course many will disagree with the number one need coming from espn but I tend to fully agree and if Marrone is what will turn out to be the coach I've read about when it comes to a player living up to his expectations when keeping a job, then he should clearly see through training camp/preseason that fitz definitively will not meet those expectations.

thoughts?
    Thanks for the post, a lot to have thoughts on, I'll chime in on No. 2 and although they might only get one of the top lbs, they should try to draft a couple, another later round pick in the Bradham mold would be a score again this year.

No. 2 Linebackers.

This time of year spend a lot of time digging up what I can on prospects. With RGIII, Wilson and Kaepernick running wild and Belichick stealing pages out of Chip Kelly's book, with likely half the league getting into it to some degree in copy cat fashion, Pettine hopefully will be on the cutting edge to nuetralize these offenses.

Stanford held Kelly's offense to 15 points in large part by lb's staying home and controlling their gaps. So there are blue prints being drawn up with more to come and with the LBs the Bill have now, even if they draw up the plan they won't be able to execute it well.

Barnett is loosing a step and Ogletree would be that instinctive, fast agressive 3 down LB that can read a play in the backfield and cover receivers and tight ends but is strong enough to get off blocks and get to the running back.

Kevin Minter could come in as the new Mike LB, I think he's projected mid 1st or higher at this point. Another LSU product like Sheppard and also a leader of the Tigers D like him. This would be a move to upgrade the position and relegate Sheppard to 2nd at the position, but this would be excellent depth. Minter has some 3rd down coverage ability as well.

For your perusal, love digging into this stuff until the draft.

Ogletree. http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft...ker-class.html

Minter. http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1455964

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/b...r-is-nfl-bound