Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The O-line

Syracuse NY, then Rochester NY, now Greenville SC

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

The line played pretty well. I hope we can keep the main players together and build depth. Hoping that all 5 guys stay healthy all year is unrealistic. It's brutal in there. A QB who can move and also have a deep ball threat will make the O-line's job much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddo View Post
    Injuries were the major problem with our O-Line last year. Pears lasted next to no time, Glenn missed a few games, and so did Hairston eventually. Saunders hit IR out of TC, iirc. Rinehart also went quite early.
    Imho, we actually have a decent group, if we can keep them all fit, and not have to do much swapping around.
    Much will also depend on what our new HC wants in terms of scheme, and if any adjustments are required from that point of view.
    Saunders is a guy who has some talent, and could get into the mix, if fit. Hairston hasn't done too badly, considering how much he has had to move from one side to the other.
    Imho, we would be well served by getting both Levitre and Rinehart re-signed, and looking to pick up another tackle in the late rounds.
    Imho, our line problems from last year, were once again, the result of injuries, rather than personnel. Over the last few years, when a guy gets injured on the O-Line, it seems as though his backup gets crocked also, not too soon after. One year it's center, kast year it ended up being RT. That in itself, isn't entirely insurmountable, but due to not keeping that many O-Line guys, inevitably people get shifted around, and that is where difficulties arise.
    It might be that the bills need to consider keeping an extra guy on the O-Line, to ensure they have depth everywhere. While traditional thinking is keep 8 guys, the amount of times in recent years that we have signed more guys as the season goes on, is ridiculous. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that wasn't a trend around the whole NFL either, as there was a point in last season, where a lot of teams had guys going down from their O-Line.
    This might actually be an area where 'analytics' could be useful, in determining how often guys get injured on the O-Line, compared to other areas, and could provide enough information to possibly make a change in the roster numbers we keep for position groups.
    Nice post.

I think the OTs were a lot better in 2012 than previously, but they were hindered by injuries. I think Hairston, Glenn, and Sanders make a nice young core with talent, and talented OTs do get better with experience. Pears was a decent experienced pick up, too.

I'm much more concerned about center than OT this coming year myself, because center is so critical to offensive success and Eric Wood has been frequently injured. I think he's missed significant time every season to major injuries (as opposed to the lesser injuries that cause OLers to miss maybe 2-3 games in a season).
    Should have kept Marshawn ... and Andy ... Jairus ...

Buffalo Bills, 2000-????: same trailer, different park.
    1999 ... 11-5, playoff loss
    2000 .... 8-8
    2001 .... 3-13
    2002 .... 8-8
    2003 ... 6-10
    2004 ... 9-7
    2005 ... 5-11
    2006 ... 7-9
    2007 ...
    7-9
    2008 ... 7-9
    2009 ... 6-10
    2010 ... 4-12
    2011 ...
    6-10
    2012 ... 6-10
    2013 ... 6-10

Quote Originally Posted by gr8dane00 View Post
    I, like alot of Bills fans, liked it when we had a good O-line. Last yr we seemed to get a bit better with Glenn at LT and a healthy Wood, yea I said it. Levitre was solid and Urbik was servicable but RT was horrible. Levitre would be my must sign behing Byrd, but he may get absurd cash to go elsewhere. Good to superior teams build from the lines out. How do you think we will address this issue, through FA? The draft? UDFA's? Just thought we could spend some conversatin time on the big uglies.
    This biggest issue with our o-line this year is whether Morris is as good a coach as Joe D.

To say Levitre was solid shows you have no clue what you're talking about. When healthy he's our best offensive lineman. Urbik was more than serviceable and at time took the "best lineman" mantle away from Levitre.. Check out the run and pass blocking stats and then think about how poor our QB was...my stars with a decent, just decent QB this team is 3 wins better....even with a crappy defense and no Jarius Byrd. (WHo should be resigned.)

It doesn't matter how much money Byrd gets...franchise tag, I mean HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! The franchise tag for safety is around $6M whereas the franchise tag to offensive linemen is in the $9m range. (They don't differentiate based upon position).

My f'n God in heaven when your left guard is also a serviceable LEFT TACKLE, he's more than solid.
    How do I loathe Jon Bon Jovi, let me count the ways ....
    1. He wants to buy into the team and move it to Toronto, leaving THREE NFL Franchises in Florida and ZERO in New York.
    2. He's a Jets fan.
    3. He's friends with Bill Belichick.

Seriously, why doesn't the league just kick us all where it counts and take a 15 yard penalty for taunting if they let Jon Bon Jovi and his highlights buy into our team.

In 1987, Jon was all about Tommy and Gina. In 2014, Jon's all about Claude and Anais.

Levitre should be resigned, we weed stability for are rookie QB, when they`re all healthy they are a good O-Line, injuries killed them last year, there was no stability to it, they finally have good depth, jesus we were down to the 3rd, 4th string linemen on the right side, there all young, and will get better

Quote Originally Posted by Airseven View Post
    Fisher is a much better LT prospect than Glenn. Glenn moves to RT.

Not at #8, thanks.

Too many other needs. From what I can tell, I like Fisher too. But we just have too many other needs. If there's top 10 or 12 talent still available at LB, WR or QB, we should grab it. In fact, if there's top 40 talent available at QB, we should grab it at #8, because it won't last till #40. If none of those are still there, if there's top ten or twelve pass rushing talent available at nearly any position we should grab it. If none of those are available, yeah, maybe best player, which might be Fisher, or might not.

Quote Originally Posted by jcmccall View Post
    This biggest issue with our o-line this year is whether Morris is as good a coach as Joe D.

To say Levitre was solid shows you have no clue what you're talking about. When healthy he's our best offensive lineman. Urbik was more than serviceable and at time took the "best lineman" mantle away from Levitre.. Check out the run and pass blocking stats and then think about how poor our QB was...my stars with a decent, just decent QB this team is 3 wins better....even with a crappy defense and no Jarius Byrd. (WHo should be resigned.)

It doesn't matter how much money Byrd gets...franchise tag, I mean HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! The franchise tag for safety is around $6M whereas the franchise tag to offensive linemen is in the $9m range. (They don't differentiate based upon position).

My f'n God in heaven when your left guard is also a serviceable LEFT TACKLE, he's more than solid.

When healthy, Wood's our best OL. Levitre is #2, and he's excellent at pass blocking, very good at pulling and average at power run blocking. Wood's nastier and more physical.

Gotta disagree with you about Urbik. He's looked solid to me, decent. Better than Rhinehart. But not someone it wouldn't be nice to upgrade.

I do not see why Sanders couldnt play LG. His skill set seems to be what Andy's is, better pass blocker than run blocker. I want 67 back, but if it came to Byrd or him. Byrd it should be IMO.

Hope only makes the pain of being a Bills fan more intense........

And we should be able to have both back in a Bills uniform. The decisions shouldn't be hard for this regime, they are not tied to them.

Hope only makes the pain of being a Bills fan more intense........

I, like alot of Bills fans, liked it when we had a good O-line. Last yr we seemed to get a bit better with Glenn at LT and a healthy Wood, yea I said it. Levitre was solid and Urbik was servicable but RT was horrible. Levitre would be my must sign behing Byrd, but he may get absurd cash to go elsewhere. Good to superior teams build from the lines out. How do you think we will address this issue, through FA? The draft? UDFA's? Just thought we could spend some conversatin time on the big uglies.
    Right tackle wasn't horrible until Chris Hairston went down with an injury. He was starting because Erik Pears was put on IR because he never was healthy. I'm not against upgrading, but when you're down to your third string player, the odds he'll be good aren't very high. Oh, and by the way, Buffalo drafted Zebrie Sanders last year. He wasn't ready to play in the NFL, but he was thought to have good upside as a futrue swing tackle who could step in at right or left tackle. His main problem last year was lack of strength, but by next summer he will have had a whole year to work on that and any other issues. Again, I'm not saying don't upgrade if you can (you don't need to spend your draft choices elsewhere), but sometimes getting better happens because hurt players heal and young, promising ones develop.
    My adopt-a-Bill is Marcel Dareus.

Quote Originally Posted by LINDA_D View Post
    Nice post.

I think the OTs were a lot better in 2012 than previously, but they were hindered by injuries. I think Hairston, Glenn, and Sanders make a nice young core with talent, and talented OTs do get better with experience. Pears was a decent experienced pick up, too.

I'm much more concerned about center than OT this coming year myself, because center is so critical to offensive success and Eric Wood has been frequently injured. I think he's missed significant time every season to major injuries (as opposed to the lesser injuries that cause OLers to miss maybe 2-3 games in a season).
    Thanks.
    I tend to agree with you that we need a center/guard. Urbik I feel has done pretty well, when called upon to take over for Wood, but that then leaves us somewhat thin in the guard area. A genuine center/guard backup, could ease the strain considerably.
    Not only Levitre, but also Rinehart need to be re-signed, as well.
    People should understand that the name on the front of the uniform is more important than the one on the back.

Why bother drafting worse players than you already have on your roster?

The Ignore List is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurman#1 View Post
    When healthy, Wood's our best OL. Levitre is #2, and he's excellent at pass blocking, very good at pulling and average at power run blocking. Wood's nastier and more physical.

Gotta disagree with you about Urbik. He's looked solid to me, decent. Better than Rhinehart. But not someone it wouldn't be nice to upgrade.
    I'm the biggest Eric Wood fan, but health is the issue. That's the only reason I don't have him as #1, that and he can't play tackle as well as Levitre. But as the best at their top position, Wood is the best OL we have.

So you're agreeing with me when I said Urbik was solid. (Which I would describe as more than serviceable.) Urbik has short periods where he was a great blocker, especially down field. Could be be upgraded, sure.
    1. He wants to buy into the team and move it to Toronto, leaving THREE NFL Franchises in Florida and ZERO in New York.
    2. He's a Jets fan.

Seriously, why doesn't the league just kick us all where it counts and take a 15 yard penalty for taunting if they let Jon Bon Jovi and his highlights buy into our team.

In 1987, Jon was all about Tommy and Gina. In 2014, Jon's all about Claude and Anais.

Well I hope the guys we have can be seriously improved with the O-line minded head coach we just hired. I'll trust Marrone to make the best personnel decisions for the o-line.
    J-O-H-N-N-Y-F-O-O-T-B-A-L-L

I honestly think if Levitre is asking too much then you let him go. Byrd is the more dynamic player and the priority in FA. There are plenty of guards in FA and we could even look at tackles with a view to bumping Glenn inside. Would like to see Rinehart return he has been solid and depth is vital on the o-line.

I understand that most people dont want to spend a top 10 pick on a lineman unless he's like Ogden but look at SF, 3 of thier starters are 1st rnd selections. I just think we are a running team. Our line is not a top 15 o-line. If Warmack or Fisher is the top guy on your board when you select then they're your guy. Now will they be? I dont know but I wouldnt think they were wacky if they were.
    2009-2013 Adopt A Bill: Eric Wood
    2014 Draft (will change ALOT)
    1. Mathews, OT, Texas A&M or Trade back
    2. Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Wash
    3. West, RB, Towson
    4. Aiken, CB, Liberty
    5. Britt, OT/OG, MO
    7. Siddoway, OT/OG, Miss St.
    UDFA- Boston, FS, N. Carolina / Hall, OT-OG, Belhaven / Palepoi, DT, Utah / Washington, WR, MO / Cobb, RB, Cumberland / Vaughn, QB, W. Texas A&M / Josey, RB, MO / Webster, DE, Bloomsburg / Gandner, DE, Stanford

Actually while Glenn played well as a rookie LT he had major issues with speed guys. Maybe Fisher is a better LT than Glenn, who would then be a very good RT. And even if he did start at RT if Glenn is injured Id rather have a quality guy than hoping Sanders is up for it.
    I agree, he needs to improve, but he played extremely well for a rookie Guard switched to LT. Now that he has been one he is not going to want to switch to RT and because he has played LT he will want more money or a chance to start at LT for another team. This is not a team need right now and I don't think we have the luxury of picking a player when we have other needs and highly touted playmakers still available on Defense at #8. I like the guys we have and want to see what we can do when everyone is healthy.
    May The Schwartz Be With You.

Adopt-a-Bill 2013-14 Nickell Robey "The Diminutive DB"

Re-sign Rinehart on the cheap. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Sanders working inside next year. They'll probably use a middle round pick on an OL.

Although to be honest, I'd be excited about either Warmack or Fisher at #8.

Quote Originally Posted by Airseven View Post
    Re-sign Rinehart on the cheap. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Sanders working inside next year. They'll probably use a middle round pick on an OL.

Although to be honest, I'd be excited about either Warmack or Fisher at #8.
    Me too ! But I think the more pressing need for the team is a #2 CB or an OLB. Those are gaping holes right now on the Bills' roster.

If Jarvis Jones or Milliner are available, I think they have to be the pick.

Quote Originally Posted by ForcedFumble View Post
    I honestly think if Levitre is asking too much then you let him go. Byrd is the more dynamic player and the priority in FA. There are plenty of guards in FA and we could even look at tackles with a view to bumping Glenn inside. Would like to see Rinehart return he has been solid and depth is vital on the o-line.
    When you're run blocking is like 8th in the league and you had several short term injuries keeping starters out and a right tackle situation in flux...you sign your starting left guard. You keep the band together. Why would you bump Glenn inside for a FA tackle who won't be better than Glenn and will cost more than resigning Levitre? I mean seriously stop trying so hard.

Did you actually watch Glenn play LT? We're getting starting LT quality on the cheap and he's gonna get better. Now if you said sign a FA RT...that's something to consider.

You sign Levitre and franchise Byrd. If you can only sign one.
    2. He's a Jets fan.

We have a good young O-Line, it`s been a long time since we had a decent line, we need to sign Levitre and let them grow together.