Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anybody really trust Nix making such a pivotal draft pick for this franchise?

Default Does anybody really trust Nix making such a pivotal draft pick for this franchise?

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Let's face the reality of the situation here...in just a few short months Buddy Nix is in all likelyhood going to pull the trigger on drafting a QB early in the draft. We are either going to do it #8 overall, with our 2nd round pick, or somewhere in between via trade. This much I'm certain of because you the chances decrease exponentially we'll find one any later.

The last time we drafted a QB this high was 8 years ago and you can argue that move was a major reason and contributing factor to our current 13 year run of futility. We failed miserable with Losman and reached for a guy that probably shouldn't have been drafted until round 2 at the earliest.

I know there are many fans that truly believe Nix is a good GM and has improved this roster significantly since his time here. But I'm not one of them and my reasons are simple:

1) The record doesn't show it compared to the Levy/Brandon regime as GM. And look at some of the players they drafted that Nix traded away or didn't resign who are flourishing elsewhere (i.e. Whitner, Lynch, etc).

2) He's passed on multiple franchise QB options the last 3 years. The names are well documented.

3) He kept the previous regimes backup QB as the starter and insisted he was a franchise guy only later to backpeddle.

So with that said, how can any of us truly believe he's going to get it right this time? Especially in a year which many 'experts' believe there is no clear cut franchise QB available in the first round, or any QB even worth drafting in the first round period.

Obviously a lot will change between now and April but something just doesn't sit right with me knowing that the fate of this franchise lies in the hands of a man who thought Ryan Fitzpatrick was a franchise QB and gave him a ridiculous extension.

All we can do at this point is cross are fingers and hope we get lucky but history has shown we'll draft the worst possible option or panic and reach.

Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by likei'vebeentherebefore View Post
    seriously though, i'd love to have 15 minutes with myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luka_GoBills View Post
    He's too busy getting the inside scoop to do math. Or to make a DFT joke, he probably hasn't gotten to that level of math yet, because you know, he's too young! LOLICOPTERS!!!!1!

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamsWreckingCrew View Post
    Does anybody really trust Nix making such a pivotal draft pick for this franchise?

Yes.

He has greatly improved the quality of the roster. So, yes, as much as I would trust anyone.

how bout this? last year he drafted 4 starter's by year end, not only good but a great draft. How many 1st rounders alone in the past for the Bill's couldn't start? Yet last years crop we had our 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th starting by years end.
    Welcome to the NFL, where the only measure of success can be found in the standings

i trust nix as much as i can out-duel him in a Banjo competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaid View Post
    It's could be the most stupid stat or category I've ever seen. It's like putting Roseanne Bar in the same category for attractiveness as Mila Kunis because one variable of her body, her breasts are larger.

I trust him.

I don't to be honest. Having said that he has given himself a tough year to choose because there are holes in all of the QB's play. Nix has passed on some good QB's and selected some pretty average talent in front of them in previous years.

All the momentum right now is moving towards Mr. Nix and Buffalo drafting a QB early.

Buddy has been talking openingly about it since mid-season of 2012.

Buffalobills.com is all about the QBs.

John Murphy is focusing almost entirely on the QBs.

Even Chris Brown isn't doing his usual, "Oh I think they believe in Fitz as they are going to draft anything but QB." routine.

The National Media is starting to pick up the scent.

It's almost all we fans talk about.

There is going to be so much focus on pressure on Mr. Nix he is, in my opinion, forced himself into a spot where he no choice but TO DRAFT a QB early.

Didnt we already have this thread? Its obvious you need to have another whine session. The Nix heat has died down this last week so you felt the need to bring it back up and the Fitz heat has about run its course for the week.

You said yourself there are no cream of the crop QBs so that makes any of them a crapshoot. It doesnt matter who he takes, in your mind it will be the wrong move.

Multiple things can happen. We can get a QB at 8 and you will be mad that we didnt wait till the second round. If we wait until the second round you will be mad that we didnt grab the QB in the first because he is now off the board. If whatever QB we take doesnt come in and light it up right away, which is unlikely to happen, you will be mad that he made the wrong QB choice period.

No matter what happens you will find a way to hate on him because we didnt get Kaepernick, who has proved he can play 8 games in the NFL. Sometimes your team and coaching is good enough that just about any QB would look good behind it. San Fran is one of those teams. Seattle is another one. Both have top ranked defenses and both have top ranked rushing attacks. Just about any QB will thrive on those teams. See Alex Smith. This is not to take away what Kaep and Wilson have done but you have to atleast see that it is due in part to a solid ****in team behind him with solid coaching... 2 things we lacked last year.

In conclusion, this is just another one of your baby whine threads because you got bored of the Fitz hate so now you have to direct it back into something that hasnt been talked about in a week or two. The answer to your question is Yes, I do trust Nix. The more important answer is that you have no **** choice.

Why do you guys trust Nix? if you really want to say it is because of the last draft you are really grasping for straws. All of those guys are unknowns and it is a sure-fire miss taking TJ Graham over Russell Wilson.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaid View Post
    It's could be the most stupid stat or category I've ever seen. It's like putting Roseanne Bar in the same category for attractiveness as Mila Kunis because one variable of her body, her breasts are larger.

The Bills have given us no reason to trust them, so some people will be worried about anyone making this pick. DOug Whaley is looking for exactly what I am looking for in a QB. Doug Whaley said this offseason we want a QB that is a leader, makes other players better, not afraid of the moment.

Nothing about arm, height, weight. I heard Nix say that we should look at how QB's perform late in games. IMO the Bills are looking at the right things.

Whaley and Marrone may have more of a say in the next QB than Nix. I hope so.
    Originally Posted by Griff
    I'm a Bills fan, I don't feel gloom, I've been baptized in fire. Wide right, Music City Forward Lateral, Pittsburgh's third stringers, 13 years, at this point nothing but moving the team would make me feel the gloom

Yes I trust him and

Yes we already had this exact thread

I predict we will have this same thread at least 3 more times before the draft

Quote Originally Posted by CAS22 View Post
    how bout this? last year he drafted 4 starter's by year end, not only good but a great draft. How many 1st rounders alone in the past for the Bill's couldn't start? Yet last years crop we had our 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th starting by years end.
    Just because we had our first four draft picks from last years draft starting, it doesn't mean they are NFL starters or good players.

I do believe we hit on Gilmore and I expect him to take a big step this year in Pettine's defense.

Cordy Glenn was statistically one of the worst LT's in the NFL in terms of pass pressure and sacks allowed, but the bigger concern is how his play seemed to get worse as the season went no as opposed to improving.

Graham really didn't show much this year but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he didn't have a real QB throwing to him and is a rookie a tough position to transition at the next level.

Brandham showed promise, but it's hard to say he's a legit starter right now given how bad our LB's and defense was.

I just don't feel Nix has drafted as well as people say, especially looking at his first two drafts....you take away Spiller and you have a bunch of questionable picks that have shown nothing more than 'potential' or being average at best starters in this league (yes Dareus included).

I wish people would get over the qbs we missed,first off they probably would have not seen the field anyway seeing how much chan loved fitz and who's to say they would of had the same success in our system?But to answer your question yes i trust him he has done a decent job here his bad choice of coach and qb has hurt him but i hope he gets them both right this time and this is kind of off topic but you made a good point on Losman he should of been taken in the second round,which brings me to this why would our bills fans want us to make the same mistake by taken Nassib at 8?It makes no sense i like the guy but i hope thats not what Nix and co do with that pick.

I trust him to select the BPA at #8. Being realistic, it is likely not going to be a QB.
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" - Jorge Santayana

This is semi-off topic, but what about Nigel Bradham. That dude's going to be a beast. I think that was a good quality pick.
    NSDQ!

Twitter: @billykingdollar

#BillsMafia

Quote Originally Posted by Sulmeister View Post
    I don't to be honest. Having said that he has given himself a tough year to choose because there are holes in all of the QB's play. Nix has passed on some good QB's and selected some pretty average talent in front of them in previous years.
    And this is what I hate as well.

We had some great opportunities the last few years and passed on every single one of them including Kaepernick, Dalton, Ponder, Wilson, Foles, and Cousins.

I'm not saying all these guys are elite franchise QB's or will develop into one....but all of them have NFL talent that dwarfs Fitzpatrick's and it's not even close.

And as much as some fans are giddy that Nix is admitting his mistake with Fitz....the fact still remains he chose him as his 'franchise' QB and publicly backed him which is the reason we passed on all the aforementioned players to begin with.

Let's face the reality of the situation here...in just a few short months Buddy Nix is in all likelyhood going to pull the trigger on drafting a QB early in the draft. We are either going to do it #8 overall, with our 2nd round pick, or somewhere in between via trade. This much I'm certain of because you the chances decrease exponentially we'll find one any later.

The last time we drafted a QB this high was 8 years ago and you can argue that move was a major reason and contributing factor to our current 13 year run of futility. We failed miserable with Losman and reached for a guy that probably shouldn't have been drafted until round 2 at the earliest.

I know there are many fans that truly believe Nix is a good GM and has improved this roster significantly since his time here. But I'm not one of them and my reasons are simple:

1) The record doesn't show it compared to the Levy/Brandon regime as GM. And look at some of the players they drafted that Nix traded away or didn't resign who are flourishing elsewhere (i.e. Whitner, Lynch, etc).

2) He's passed on multiple franchise QB options the last 3 years. The names are well documented.

3) He kept the previous regimes backup QB as the starter and insisted he was a franchise guy only later to backpeddle.

So with that said, how can any of us truly believe he's going to get it right this time? Especially in a year which many 'experts' believe there is no clear cut franchise QB available in the first round, or any QB even worth drafting in the first round period.

Obviously a lot will change between now and April but something just doesn't sit right with me knowing that the fate of this franchise lies in the hands of a man who thought Ryan Fitzpatrick was a franchise QB and gave him a ridiculous extension.

All we can do at this point is cross are fingers and hope we get lucky but history has shown we'll draft the worst possible option or panic and reach.

Funny how this has never been discussed before. Would have thought it would have come up long before now. Do I trust Buddy? Yeah, I think he's been evaluating players for a long, long time. But I also don't think he's doing it in a vacuum. I don';t think there's any way Marrone, Whaley, and Hackett are not involved in deciding who the next Bills Qb will be.

Just because we had our first four draft picks from last years draft starting, it doesn't mean they are NFL starters or good players.

I do believe we hit on Gilmore and I expect him to take a big step this year in Pettine's defense.

Cordy Glenn was statistically one of the worst LT's in the NFL in terms of pass pressure and sacks allowed, but the bigger concern is how his play seemed to get worse as the season went no as opposed to improving.

Graham really didn't show much this year but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he didn't have a real QB throwing to him and is a rookie a tough position to transition at the next level.

Brandham showed promise, but it's hard to say he's a legit starter right now given how bad our LB's and defense was.

I just don't feel Nix has drafted as well as people say, especially looking at his first two drafts....you take away Spiller and you have a bunch of questionable picks that have shown nothing more than 'potential' or being average at best starters in this league (yes Dareus included).
    AS an overall picture, his 2012 draft looks like the only worthwhile one. 2010's entire offseason was horrible-except for Spiller-2011 was below average. 2012 was a good offseason for Nix, but overall, his body of work suggests that he should be phased out of the organization, and I think that is what is happening. HC and QB are major failures under his watch.
    Originally Posted by Griff
    I'm a Bills fan, I don't feel gloom, I've been baptized in fire. Wide right, Music City Forward Lateral, Pittsburgh's third stringers, 13 years, at this point nothing but moving the team would make me feel the gloom