Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safeties

Default Safeties

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Resigning Byrd is a must. The top paid FS is Quinten Mikel at $10mil/yr. Jairus Byrd is much much better than him, but I dont think that Byrd will demand such an outrageous contract.

Improving the SS position is an absolute must as well. To me, its a no brainer to go out and sign LaRon Landry. The guy is an absolute hammer in the secondary, and makes WR's and TE's think twice when going across the middle. He had his best season last year with the Jets, in large part because of Coach Pettine's system which allows the safeties to prowl around the middle of the field and wait for the big hit or the turnover.

Here's my question. If you were the GM, is spending upwards of $15 million/year combined on both safety positions reasonable?

To me its a no brainer. Im not entirely confident about cash to cap and the numbers involved, so anyone with a better understanding of it, is it even possible?

No, I think the best option right now is to move Aaron Williams to safety and have he and Searcy battle it out and have the winner be the starter opposite of Byrd.
    1. OT Jake Matthews, 6'6 309 Texas A&M
    2. OLB Kyle Van Noy, 6'4 243 BYU
    3. RB Andre Williams, 5'10 233 Boston College
    4. OG Trai Turner, 6'3 310 LSU
    5. CB Ross Cockrell, 6'0 191 Duke
    7. DE Ethan Westbrooks, 6'4 267 West Texas A&M

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaGatorsBuffaloBills View Post
    No, I think the best option right now is to move Aaron Williams to safety and have he and Searcy battle it out and have the winner be the starter opposite of Byrd.
    Neither of those seem like viable options to me.

What happens when former 2nd round pick Aaron Williams doesnt cut it at SS? Now you have a guy with no position at all. I like Searcy, I like that he can drop the hammer when he has to, but I dont like him in coverage. He is a run stopper and not much else. He may be a great fit in Pettine's system, but I wouldnt bet on it.

Quote Originally Posted by nateodoms'bff View Post
    Neither of those seem like viable options to me.

What happens when former 2nd round pick Aaron Williams doesnt cut it at SS? Now you have a guy with no position at all. I like Searcy, I like that he can drop the hammer when he has to, but I dont like him in coverage. He is a run stopper and not much else. He may be a great fit in Pettine's system, but I wouldnt bet on it.
    Well he can't play cornerback unless he finds some oil for his hips. If he can't play safety then you play out his deal or trade him. No need for two McKelvins in the defensive backfield. Yeah, I know Leodis can return punts, but that's not why he was drafted 11th overall.

If Jim Leonard could make plays for Pettine...I think he can do the same for both Williams and Searcy.
    How do I loathe Jon Bon Jovi, let me count the ways ....
    1. He wants to buy into the team and move it to Toronto, leaving THREE NFL Franchises in Florida and ZERO in New York.
    2. He's a Jets fan.
    3. He's friends with Bill Belichick.

Seriously, why doesn't the league just kick us all where it counts and take a 15 yard penalty for taunting if they let Jon Bon Jovi and his highlights buy into our team.

In 1987, Jon was all about Tommy and Gina. In 2014, Jon's all about Claude and Anais.

3 players the Bills MUST resign:

1) Byrd
    2) Levitre
    3) McKelvin

3 players I would LIKE to see the Bills resign:

1) Nelson
    2) Moore
    3) Jones

3 players I would NOT MIND if the Bills resign:

1) Martin
    2) Merriman
    3) McIntyre

3 player that I want to HIT THE ROAD:

1) Johnson
    2) Kelsay
    3) Scott
    Last edited by Dr Strangelove; 01-28-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcmccall View Post
    Well he can't play cornerback unless he finds some oil for his hips. If he can't play safety then you play out his deal or trade him. No need for two McKelvins in the defensive backfield. Yeah, I know Leodis can return punts, but that's not why he was drafted 11th overall.

If Jim Leonard could make plays for Pettine...I think he can do the same for both Williams and Searcy.
    I respectfully disagree on your assessment of Williams' ability to cover. When you consider his rookie season was cut short due to injury, and that his second season was interrupted by injury, you look at the amount of games he has played, and it makes perfect sense why he doesn't look as good as he "should". Williams showed flashes at times. He is not very good in zone coverage. You are right that he has stiff hips and loses a step when chasing after the receiver. In man coverage, he fares much better. He uses his hands very very well at the line, and has the size and strength to jam the receiver at the line. He needs to stay healthy and play consistently.

The idea that you can just plug players into different roles and hope that they can succeed is what has gotten this defense into trouble the past 7 years. It doesnt make sense to continue down that same path.

That being said, if Coach Pettine feels like Searcy can do it, great. Personally, Id like someone back there with better coverage skills. Im not saying that Landry is a world beater in coverage, but he is certainly better than what is currently on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
    3 players the Bills MUST resign:

1) Byrd
    2) Levitre
    3) McKelvin

3 players I would LIKE to see the Bills resign:

1) Nelson
    2) Moore
    3) Jones
    This has nothing to do with my original post, but thanks for sharing.

and im suppose to care what you think because?

No need to be rude. The thread was about the safety position, not who you think the Bills should re-sign. I genuinely do appreciate your thoughts on Bills players hitting FA, but not in this thread.

Way to be an internet tough guy though, its very mature.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaGatorsBuffaloBills View Post
    Aaron Williams is not in the mold of a Strong Safety at all, and pre-draft was thought to be a Free Safety/Cornerback 'tweener.
    4-15-BUF 34

(4:46) (Shotgun) 14-A.Dalton pass deep middle to 11-D.Sanzenbacher to BUF 11 for 23 yards (35-J.Leonhard). Caught in coverage at BUF 15.

Resigning Byrd is a must. The top paid FS is Quinten Mikel at $10mil/yr. Jairus Byrd is much much better than him, but I dont think that Byrd will demand such an outrageous contract.
    Mikel has done something Byrd hasn't....................made All Pro!

Bryd is not MUCH better!

The are both quality safeties

Quote Originally Posted by Otishawk View Post

Bryd is not MUCH better!

Byrd made All-Pro this year...

1) Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M
    2) Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE Washington
    3) Kareem Martin DE North Carolina
    4) Lache Seastrunk RB Baylor
    5) Trai Turner OG LSU
    7) Bennett Jackson CB Notre Dame

Quote Originally Posted by Otishawk View Post

Bryd is not MUCH better!

Byrd made All Pro this year

look out we got ourselves a badass
    Adopt-A-Bill 2012:Zebrie Sanders Adopt-A-Bill 2013:Garrison Sanborn

I
    Quote Originally Posted by MarioBilliams View Post
    look out we got ourselves a badass
    You gotta love keyboard warriors.

I want Ed Reed in secondary. Give him a C, make him ss, and call it a day. Yes he's old but has a ton of valuable postseason experience and leadership abilities, something the secondary needs. Resigning Byrd is the word too. Those two ball hawks together would give the overpaid d-line and understaffed lb core more time to work.

Just my thought on the safety situation.
    "This is Buffalo football" - Marcell 'Big Daddy' Dareus

RIP Ralph Wilson Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreBillsFan View Post
    I

You gotta love keyboard warriors.

I want Ed Reed in secondary. Give him a C, make him ss, and call it a day. Yes he's old but has a ton of valuable postseason experience and leadership abilities, something the secondary needs. Resigning Byrd is the word too. Those two ball hawks together would give the overpaid d-line and understaffed lb core more time to work.

Just my thought on the safety situation.
    No Arguments here... That would be awesome, i just don't think he leaves Baltimore..

I think Searcy can get it done, myself. I also disagree with you regarding Aaron Williams being better in man coverage (opposed to zone play). He doesn't have a good enough burst of speed to catch a receiver if they beat his jam at the line. If he can develop an understanding of where/how to play within a zone, i.e. anticipation of where the receivers passing through his zone are planning on going it will help negate his lack of speed and acceleration, and also hide his lack of fluidity in the hips.

However, it is a moot point, as man coverage will likely be the order of business for the CBs in the new defensive system. I think having Gilmore constantly covering the opponents #1 receiver will help Aaron in the future, a trend I believe will continue into Pettine's reign. His first few years he was at times matched up against #1s, which is when he often looked so bad. He can match up better with smaller, slower #2 type receivers, especially in the "possession receiver" types I believe.
    -G

"I don't like the Dolphins, I don't like the Jets, I don't like the m- f- Patriots! I don't like the Browns 'cuz they start with a B! Let's go Bills Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba Bills, Let's go Bills!" -If you hear this being cheered at Bills games... I am likely the one you are hearing!

No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills.

If you sign them you don't have the cash to sign Landry, I think, is his point.

We gotta resign Levitre and Byrd, that may take enough cash that we can't replace George. Especially when our only good TE is not going to be ready for camp, and we need to sign a FA QB.
    Draft:
    1) Eric Ebron TE
    2) Moses Morgan OT
    3) Shane Skov ILB
    4) Michael Sam DE/Olb
    5) James Wilder Jr RB
    6) best player available
    7) best player available

I believe they are still 2 points.

Quote Originally Posted by V-Expression View Post
    Aaron Williams is not in the mold of a Strong Safety at all, and pre-draft was thought to be a Free Safety/Cornerback 'tweener.
    He can hit, good size. I fail to see why not.

I'm on board with Searcy v Williams.

Williams was a projected SS coming out.