Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bills in mix for Alex Smith!

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Why would we want another mediocre QB who cant throw the deep ball? We would have Fitz and Alex Smith who combined can only throw for 50 yards.

lol at Alex Smith, have you guys that want him even watched the guy play?

Because I will tell you, he is not very good at all. He is a game manager at best with the #1 defense in the league. I would not sign him for much more than a back-up role just in case our rookie is not ready

I hope that One Bills drive is not dumb enough to even look at this guy.

these the same reporters that had Chip Kelly definitely going to Cleveland and Andy Reid definitely going to Arizona?

I'm assuming people here haven't really watched much of Alex Smith. He's not as bad as Fitz, but he's no savior. He's the 2nd best QB on the 49ers roster.

Harbaugh has to be looked at as a guy who really understands how to make his QB's succeed. He made Andrew Luck one of the best signal callers in college, then he took Alex Smith, a guy who was very inconsistent under previous coaches & was able to win ball games with him. Now, look @ Colin...

If you watched enough 49er games this year....you'll see that although the team was winning, Alex was hampering the offense. He was often TOO gun shy & it was showing in his confidence to fit balls into tight windows. There's no excuse for going an entire game without having a passing attempt go Vernon Davis's way....& it wasn't because defenses were doubling him either, Smith was in ultra safe mode & was rushing to get the ball out instead of letting plays develope. It started causing tension in the locker room....which is why when Colin started against the Bears & Vernon had that monster game, Jim decided to stick with Kaepernick.

Yes, Alex is an upgrade over Fitz, but no...do not give away any more draft picks to teams for clip board holding QBs. This team has been so abysmal @ QB scouting that we've resorted to letting other GM's do our job.

Last year, the 49ers had Alex Smith & still drafted Kaepernick in the 2nd round.
    This year, the Seahawks pay Flynn to be their guy, but still draft Wilson in the 3rd.
    The Redskins give up a boat load of draft picks for RGIII, only to draft Cousins a few rounds later.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbojanglezs View Post
    its just speculation

Rapoport's tweet about the Niners letting Smith go, which this is based on, is not phrased as speculation. But his other tweet, showing the teams who might be interested, is indeed just speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by jrober38 View Post
    Bills are the best fit and there's no way the 49ers trade him inside the division to the Cards.

Trade a 3rd and a conditional 2014 pick and get it done. Then draft defense, run the ball and compete for the wildcard.

Sounds fine to me except competing for the Wild Card. Who cares. Our goal should always be the Super Bowl. Nothing less.

And yeah, you have to get to the playoffs to win a Super Bowl, but that's not an important argument. You have to get your team's first first down of the season too, but you shouldn't place a lot of emphasis on it. Getting to the playoffs doesn't matter, unless you're actually competitive for the Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by GodZnKingZ View Post
    I'm assuming people here haven't really watched much of Alex Smith. He's not as bad as Fitz, but he's no savior. He's the 2nd best QB on the 49ers roster.

Harbaugh has to be looked at as a guy who really understands how to make his QB's succeed. He made Andrew Luck one of the best signal callers in college, then he took Alex Smith, a guy who was very inconsistent under previous coaches & was able to win ball games with him. Now, look @ Colin...

If you watched enough 49er games this year....you'll see that although the team was winning, Alex was hampering the offense. He was often TOO gun shy & it was showing in his confidence to fit balls into tight windows. There's no excuse for going an entire game without having a passing attempt go Vernon Davis's way....& it wasn't because defenses were doubling him either, Smith was in ultra safe mode & was rushing to get the ball out instead of letting plays develope. It started causing tension in the locker room....which is why when Colin started against the Bears & Vernon had that monster game, Jim decided to stick with Kaepernick.

Yes, Alex is an upgrade over Fitz, but no...do not give away any more draft picks to teams for clip board holding QBs. This team has been so abysmal @ QB scouting that we've resorted to letting other GM's do our job.

Last year, the 49ers had Alex Smith & still drafted Kaepernick in the 2nd round.
    This year, the Seahawks pay Flynn to be their guy, but still draft Wilson in the 3rd.
    The Redskins give up a boat load of draft picks for RGIII, only to draft Cousins a few rounds later.

Andrew Luck isn't a product of Harbaugh. He's done extremely well without him this year, and was one of the best if not the best prospect out of high school.

Yes, Kaepernick is better than Alex Smith. But Kaepernick is closing in on elite. He's excellent. Being not as good as him doesn't show you can't be plenty good. Just as an example, which QB leads the league in Air Yards YPA (yards in the air per attempt, which eliminates receivers' YAC from the YPA stat)? It's a measure of how far a QB actually throws the ball, so if you throw a 2 yard screen pass complete and your RB turns it into a 60 yard TD, traditional YPA gives the QB 60 yards, but Air Yards YPA give him 2 yards. Who leads the league? Kaepernick, by a huge margin. It's not even close.

1) Kaepernick 5.5
    2) Russell Wilson 5.0
    3) E. Manning 4.8
    4) P. Manning 4.8
    5) D. Brees 4.6
    16) A. Smith 4.3
    ..:
    34) R. Fitzpatrick 3.2

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/airYardsStats.php

Alex Smith looked bad under previous coaches because early on he didn't have talent around him and he was learning and later on he had crap coaching. The guy didn't have a single year in his Niners career where he stayed in the same offensive system two years in a row, not till this year, the second year in Harbaugh's system. Not one single year. That will cut anybody's ability to be productive.

This year, under Smith, the Niners scored 30 against a good Packers D, 27 against a good Lions D, 24 against a solid Vikings D, 34 against a very good Jets D, 45 against a Bills D which was in utter turmoil at the time, got skunked to 3 points against the Giants, got 13 against an excellent Seahawks D and 24 against a good Cardinals D. That's very solid work. Kaepernick had a significantly easier schedule the second half of the year to play against.

Grab Smith and draft a young guy. Smith would almost certainly win any competition the first year, and maybe the second. Great. Let the young guy learn. And if he never gets as good as Smith, then having Smith will have helped.

He's a good QB? Since when? He had one decent year, and was having a decent year this season before injury. He's only completed a 16 game season twice. He isn't what I would consider good. He's strung together some really bad seasons and against a really bad division.

He's not good. The most TDs that he threw for in a season was 18. 18...lol. He had a season where he threw 1 TD and 11 INTs. Tell me do "good" QBs throw 1 TD and 11 INTs in a season? And his best statistical season he threw for 17 TDs and just over 3k yards. In a league in which everything favors the passing team. And sure he wasn't asked to carry the team, but even Fitzpatrick was able to get more yards and TDs that year.

Seriously this guy is far from good. The media has sold you a bill of goods. There's a reason the Niners are going to the SB, and none of them include Smith leading them there.
    "My gut feeling is that it's Watkins"- Quoting me from 4/30. Cause you made lame mock drafts and I didn't waste my time with them...cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by intimidatortj View Post
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...his-job/page/2

Alex Smith was sacked 44 times last year, more than any NFL quarterback in the league, and he was on pace to hit a similarly dismal total this year. It's not because Smith plays behind a terrible offensive line. On the contrary, the 49ers recently won their second Madden Most Valuable Protectors award by Hall of Fame coach John Madden.

So why is Smith sacked so often? It's by design. Because Smith lacks mobility in the pocket and struggles to find open receivers down-field, his history of throwing costly interceptions in traffic has been mitigated by taking designed sacks. If Smith can't find an open man down-field and cannot escape pressure in the pocket, he eats the sack. The problem with too many sacks, though, is that a team losses scoring opportunities and puts more pressure on its defense to win a game.

If you read Alex Smith's scouting profile from before the 2005 NFL draft, his biggest weakness was that he didn't throw deep passes as a quarterback in college. Not much has changed since then, as Smith will regularly check-down to a running back or look for the nearest tight end.

On the rare occasion that Smith does throw the long ball, it often flutters in the air, losing its trajectory. <---- OUCH
    did you watch the Bills game? He threw the rock allover the place, short, deep, inside and outside, with pinpoint accuracy and sharp crisp passes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Billsnation2010 View Post
    Why would we want another mediocre QB who cant throw the deep ball? We would have Fitz and Alex Smith who combined can only throw for 50 yards.
    apparently you didnt watch the Bills vs. 49ers game....two QBs int hat game, one of them threw the deep ball all over the place....hint, it wasnt fitz

So let me get this straight, Alex Smith has 4 teams interested and he will choose Buffalo's ONE WR OFFENSE ?

Yep, I can see this happening.....Funny mrm m2m 69.jpg

Well one thing for sure..... The niners used him to run the offense until their young QB was ready to step in. Alex Smith was a part of that of course and now the niners are in the super bowl. I wouldn't mind having our next young QB sit behind a guy like that and learn. The way I see it there really doesn't seem to be a reason not to nab him. We're definitely drafting a QB in my opinion but expect that QB to sit for a while behind a veteran. It's either gonna be Fitz or Smith. You choose.
    Adopt a Bill 2012: Ron Brooks is going to be a beast! Write that ish down!

If you don't bleed red white and blue then get out of the house cause you're not part of the family.

Quote Originally Posted by THE SLAMMER View Post
    So let me get this straight, Alex Smith has 4 teams interested and he will choose Buffalo's ONE WR OFFENSE ?

Yep, I can see this happening.....Funny mrm m2m 69.jpg
    Slammer,

Did you forget about our solid offensive line and elite running game?

Both of those things will appeal to him big time.

If Bowe leaves Kansas City then I would have to think that only betters our odds of getting Smith. I'd say he wants to go somewhere with a good offensive line (check), a good receiver (check) and a good running game (check). I could see him wanting to go somewhere where he is the unquestioned starter and doesn't have to deal with a rookie quarterback and that could be a turn off of the Bills if we decide to draft someone as well.

I don't think he wants to go through what he went through at San Fran again. He probably wants to go somewhere where is a the starter and the team is putting all their eggs in one basket with him.
    Last edited by FloridaGatorsBuffaloBills; 01-30-2013 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrober38 View Post
    If the Bills add 2 defensive play makers in the draft, I see no reason why Alex Smith can't beat Tom Brady. Smith and the 49ers were 19-5 over the past two years and beat some very good teams.

Will our defense be that good immediately? Of course not. However, I'd argue we have a more talented group of RBs than the 49ers. If used properly, CJ Spiller could rush for 1,800 yards IMO.

Run the ball, limit turnovers and play better defense. Do those things and I think we compete for the wildcard with Smith at QB...
    The Bills could do that with Fitzpatrick, too, and have more picks and cap space to spend on upgrading other positions. It makes no sense to pursue a high-priced QB who is only marginally better than Fitzpatrick. Save the picks and $$$ and draft a QB!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
    The guy was a first overall pick and it took until his 5th year to start showing something? No thanks and I really hope we don't trade for him. He is going to want to go somewhere to start not to groom another rookie to take his job. If we get him then our Draft plan would switch to drafting a QB in the 3rd or 4th to sit behind him. We then would find out that Smith was not good enough and we would want the QB we drafted to start 3 years later just to find out he is no good. And the cycle begins again.........
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinocoach View Post
    freekin' Groundhog day.

That is exactly how I see A. Smith in B-lo playing out.
    The above QFT. At least if the Bills kept Fitzpatrick or signed a cheap FA QB nobody would be under the illusion that the team doesn't need to draft a QB early and develop him.

And, BTW, the same recipe necessary for Smith's success -- stout defense, great running game, limit risky QB plays -- would work just as well for Fitz, for a cheap FA QB or for a rookie QB.
    Should have kept Marshawn ... and Andy ... Jairus ...

Buffalo Bills, 2000-????: same trailer, different park.
    1999 ... 11-5, playoff loss
    2000 .... 8-8
    2001 .... 3-13
    2002 .... 8-8
    2003 ... 6-10
    2004 ... 9-7
    2005 ... 5-11
    2006 ... 7-9
    2007 ...
    7-9
    2008 ... 7-9
    2009 ... 6-10
    2010 ... 4-12
    2011 ...
    6-10
    2012 ... 6-10
    2013 ... 6-10

If we sign Alex Smith W/O drafting a QB in either round one or two, then I'm going from cautious optimism to downright negativity very fast.

All Credit goes to AM33 for this Signature!
    Adopt a Bill 2012: Mario Williams, DE
    Adopt a Bill 2013: Robert Woods, WR
    Adopt a Bill 2014: Sammy Watkins, WR

Quote Originally Posted by Jdot View Post
    No team wins Super Bowls in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Midnite View Post
    If we sign Alex Smith W/O drafting a QB in either round one or two, then I'm going from cautious optimism to downright negativity very fast.
    I agree but I would include 3rd round. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to get Zac Dysert in the 3rd if we had Smith as a starter while he learns.
    In Dougs We Trust!!!!

Good Luck Stevie!!! You will be missed!!

Quote Originally Posted by davejr51179 View Post
    I would take Alex Smith over anyone in this years draft. Give the 49ers a 3rd this year and 4th that can become a 3rd in 2014.
    Or just wait until he gets released. Draft picks are more valuable than cash.
    How do I loathe Jon Bon Jovi, let me count the ways ....
    1. He wants to buy into the team and move it to Toronto, leaving THREE NFL Franchises in Florida and ZERO in New York.
    2. He's a Jets fan.
    3. He's friends with Bill Belichick.

Seriously, why doesn't the league just kick us all where it counts and take a 15 yard penalty for taunting if they let Jon Bon Jovi and his highlights buy into our team.

In 1987, Jon was all about Tommy and Gina. In 2014, Jon's all about Claude and Anais.

Smith's a good fit; he is an excellent Quarterback who developed the long ball. What he did not have around him for years and it showed was an offensive line or a running game or wide receiver tandem to really fit. People can say the same tripe or point to his record; when Singletary was there he brought in a good mixture, Harbaugh expanded on it, and Donte Whitner, has benefited a lot and proven to be a stable secondary coverage defensive back which everyone knows he has always been. The problem with Buffalo is that they do not cement themselves or pull a kill switch and blow a good team out. It's always the bland mixture of conservatism in offensive calling like Jauron and Gailey which has always killed me. And, don't forget that Kyle Williams broke down and yelled at Mario Williams when he forgot his stunted x-call to go in behind Williams for the read options with the line backing corps blitzing.

Smith makes reads on the fly, has a good arm, and knows what it's like not to have a team around him. For years he got wasted away, got hit, and still is not scared of it. What will come in time is whether or not the Bills can build off of the confidence he has in himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Midnite View Post
    It could happen. EJ Manuel or someone will "fall" to the 3rd round right into Buddy's patient mitts!

But, I am with you. It would be one frustrating draft to sit there waiting for the 3rd round pick to come up.