Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My take on Alex Smith

Default My take on Alex Smith

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Lets start at work tonight.... (afternoon shift)

There is more than half a dozen die hard 9rs fans on my shift and they all know their football (pools, FF etc)
    well it started early with one of them slapping my back and jokingly congratulating me on the Bills chasing Alex Smith.
    then they all jumped in like sharks in bloody water.

You see they all think it is halarious that the lowly Bills would be on the short list of teams interestesd in thier perrenial loser QB Alex Smith.
    When I tried to tell them it was only some sports writers speculation they said it was in almost every website and carried alot of weight and I should take it seriously despite my retort that the Bills chose a college HC and hopefully will follow suit w/ a college QB.

the point of this little story is to try and point out to the "fans" that want Alex Smith that the fans of his current team feel the same way about him as we do about Fitz.

You can sugar coat it or compare him to subpar QB's or even say his rise in production was just a coincidence when put on the Harbaugh/ team improvement timeline.

Fact is he is considered nothing more than a rich mans Trent Edwards/Ryan Fitzpatrick outside of this website.

sorry to interrupt your usual Bills discussion please feel to resume your alex Smith lovefest.

Sammy Watkins is going to be ROTY.
    And sig this.... Watkins will set the Bears on their ears opening day. 120 yds, 2 TD's and a return for TD.

No one here is "in love" with alex smith or believe him to be the franchise qb that we need. Alex smith is viewed as a decent stop gap for a possible year (maybe two) while we groom a franchise qb or wait till a better draft class. Fitz is not the answer for this situation. I dont believe fitz would handle a "qb crisis" with as much class as smith handled it & fitz's negativity would b an issue in the locker room and cause problems for the team...

Quote Originally Posted by PRBills View Post
    No one here is "in love" with alex smith or believe him to be the franchise qb that we need. Alex smith is viewed as a decent stop gap for a possible year (maybe two) while we groom a franchise qb or wait till a better draft class. Fitz is not the answer for this situation. I dont believe fitz would handle a "qb crisis" with as much class as smith handled it & fitz's negativity would b an issue in the locker room and cause problems for the team...
    Are you honestly saying Alex Smith is a better lockerroom leader than Fitz?
    I don't want Fitz next year but IMO he would help the team way more than "I gotsta get paid Smith".
    How long of a contract will he demand?
    How much money will get tied up on him?
    What round will his replacement get picked?

this entire thing has failure written all over it.

Matt Moore 2 years 8 million $
    Draft a QB in the first,
    annother before the 5th and
    T-Jax to fight it out for oppening day.

And sig this.... Watkins will set the Bears on their ears opening day. 120 yds, 2 TD's and a return for TD.

I will be surprised if Alex Smith should select Buffalo and it appears it will be his decision.

Seems like a lot of worry over nothing

I agree on the way he's perceived with Niners fans and most NFL fans in general. He was considered a bust not to long ago and a crap shoot imo...

Quote Originally Posted by UnBilleviable View Post
    I agree on the way he's perceived with Niners fans and most NFL fans in general. He was considered a bust not to long ago and a crap shoot imo...
    Shhhhhhh. he is going to save the BIlls.
    don't go throwing reality into the mix.
    people here hate reality when discussing the future of the Bills.

If its not Smith it will most likely be Michael Vick....and if its not Vick........ T/Jax ( if signed ) could be the guy!

Something to think about

-
    Last edited by THE SLAMMER; 01-31-2013 at 06:06 AM.

What happened to drafting a great college QB who will take us to 13-3 at worst, with ease?

Quote Originally Posted by rhinocoach View Post
    Shhhhhhh. he is going to save the BIlls.
    don't go throwing reality into the mix.
    people here hate reality when discussing the future of the Bills.
    Lol. Yea ive been seeing people saying that on here for a while now.
    I personally don't see it, and like I said, it will be a crap shoot, but I think it has failure written all over it.
    I just don't see him succeeding on a team with average talent.
    I would like a QB in the draft personally, but I'd really love to give Vick a try here. I know all the negatives but 2 years ago he had an MVP type year and I think with a good line he'd be much better than this year.

How long of a contract will he demand?
    How much money will get tied up on him?
    What round will his replacement get picked?

Matt Moore 2 years 8 million $
    Draft a QB in the first,
    annother before the 5th and
    T-Jax to fight it out for oppening day.
    You are bringing up valid points and obviously these are all issues that would need to be put into consideration....

The next part of your post also sounds like another possibility. But how realistic is it? Would Matt moore sign a contract like that? Would alex smith sign a contract like that? Either of the two situations sound much better then having ftz next season but like all of the "alex smith lovers" you are just speculating on the terms of a deal that you dont even know that caould be made.

Quote Originally Posted by THE SLAMMER View Post
    I will be surprised if Alex Smith should select Buffalo and it appears it will be his decision.

Seems like a lot of worry over nothing
    Exactly right....just like these same diehards thought Gruden or Cowher would choose B-lo over a playoff team. Worries that will never happen.

There is more than half a dozen die hard Bills fans on my shift and they all know their football (pools, FF etc)
    You see they all think it is hilarious that the lowly 49ers would be on the short list of teams interested in their perrenial loser SS Donte Whitner.
    See how that works? One teams trash is another teams pro-bowler. Just sayin'.

(Not that I think Alex Smith is all that and a bag of chips, but I would rather have him than Fitzpatrick, if nothing more than for the sake of us fans.)
    -G

"I don't like the Dolphins, I don't like the Jets, I don't like the m- f- Patriots! I don't like the Browns 'cuz they start with a B! Let's go Bills Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba Bills, Let's go Bills!" -If you hear this being cheered at Bills games... I am likely the one you are hearing!

No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloSuperBowlParade View Post
    See how that works? One teams trash is another teams pro-bowler. Just sayin'.

(Not that I think Alex Smith is all that and a bag of chips, but I would rather have him than Fitzpatrick, if nothing more than for the sake of us fans.)
    Whitner is the 11th best player on that defense. Lets not get it twisted.

If Smith is an upgrade to Fitz (I think he is) and you can get him at the right price, then get him, draft a kid in the first two rounds, and go from there.

There is more than half a dozen die hard 9rs fans on my shift and they all know their football (pools, FF etc)
    well it started early with one of them slapping my back and jokingly congratulating me on the Bills chasing Alex Smith.

You see they all think it is halarious that the lowly Bills would be on the short list of teams interestesd in thier perrenial loser QB Alex Smith.
    When I tried to tell them it was only some sports writers speculation they said it was in almost every website and carried alot of weight and I should take it seriously despite my retort that the Bills chose a college HC and hopefully will follow suit w/ a college QB.

the point of this little story is to try and point out to the "fans" that want Alex Smith that the fans of his current team feel the same way about him as we do about Fitz.

You can sugar coat it or compare him to subpar QB's or even say his rise in production was just a coincidence when put on the Harbaugh/ team improvement timeline.

Fact is he is considered nothing more than a rich mans Trent Edwards/Ryan Fitzpatrick outside of this website.

sorry to interrupt your usual Bills discussion please feel to resume your alex Smith lovefest.
    Not that I want Alex Smith, but to base this on some co-workers who "know there football" is really just laughable.

I don't get the Alex Smith love. He has threw for only 3000 yards in a season once in his career. His completion % is not great and he takes a lot of sacks. He also checks down a lot and over his 7 year career he does NOT have very many long completions or deep ball completions.

He had one decent season, 2011. It just must be the grass is greener effect.

I want Alex Smith he is a great game manager, and he is pretty underrated. You have to remember he was 2 Kyle Williams fumbles away from the superbowl last year

The entire Alex Smith infatuation can be summed up as: "I've heard of him! The Bills MUST sign him!!!!111"

Nice try. First off, you should get back to the line and start boxing the toilet paper rolls in order. Wipe side up.

Alex Smith is no less than a 75% upgrade over Fitz.

Alex Smith won the NFC Championship game over the Giants, if not for two brutal fumble plays by an inept player in Williams.

Alex Smith was ranked 3rd in the league at QB this season (6-2) before he had a head/trauma injury.

Alex Smith with a good running game (which we have) is top 10 QB in NFL.

You are a factory workewr who is delusional if you think any team would give Matt Moore $8Million. If that's the case, we can get Smith for $5Mil easily! A third round pick, and $5Mil get's him for two seasons while we groom Geno Smith or Barkley.

We get Alex, we go to playoffs next season - bank it!

Now get back to the line. It's slackers like you who make your country the bumbling butt of jokes worldwide!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
    Whitner is the 11th best player on that defense. Lets not get it twisted.
    My point is once fans pick someone to be a scape goat, of course they will say "haha I can't believe you want ____ player, he sucks!". But a change of scenery (which yes, includes playing for a far better team as a whole) can make a world of difference. I still believe Whitner sucks, but it seems to have worked out for the 49ers. He does what they need him to do. That is the point.

If Smith can come in here and do what we need him to do; which is if anything, be a "bridge QB", then bring him in. If not, then don't. That's my take.
    -G

"I don't like the Dolphins, I don't like the Jets, I don't like the m- f- Patriots! I don't like the Browns 'cuz they start with a B! Let's go Bills Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba Bills, Let's go Bills!" -If you hear this being cheered at Bills games... I am likely the one you are hearing!

No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills.