Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your plan to fix WR, LB, QB?

Default What is your plan to fix WR, LB, QB?

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Thank God I am not in this team's position, cause I really have no idea what can be done and I think this team is beating itself over the head about what to do.

What do you think should be done?

Trade down in the first round still get the QB you want and stock pile picks for this year or next.

Calvin Johnson, Patrick Willis and Aaron Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by NJBuff View Post
    Thank God I am not in this team's position, cause I really have no idea what can be done and I think this team is beating itself over the head about what to do.

I don't think you can fix all three in one draft. Yes, it is possible and you should try, but looking back over our last 3 drafts, did we fix 3 positions in a single draft? No.

You could say we pretty much "fixed" the oline, but Buddy has drafted a lot of linemen to accomplish that: Zebrie Sanders, Kyle Calloway, Ed Wang, Mark Asper, Chris Hairston, and Cordy Glenn. PLUS added a bunch of guys through signing them off the street or as FAs, i.e. Sam Young, Urbik, Eric Pears, Chad Rhinehart, etc.

I would trade down in the 1st round, get an extra pick and then take 1) QB, 2a) WR, 2b) LB and another WR in the 3rd. 4th round LB. 5th Safety. 6th Center/Guard.

Fixing a position requires multiple picks for the same position. Thus take a WR at 2a and a WR in the 3rd. You can't draft just one. What if he is injured like Easley did as a rookie?

Bottom line it is wise to draft more than one player for a position. Injuries, illness, wash out, etc is part of the game.

If it were me:

Sign Alex Smith or Mike Vick in free agency. Then in the first round take either Barkevious Mingo or Jarvis Jones, take the best available WR in round two and then in the third round take Zac Dysert and try and develop him over the next 2-3 years.

Ogeltree at 8. Go after bowe or wallace HARD AND a FA OR BACKUP QB like cousins smith stanton flynn! But no big contracts for them!!!
    2nd rnd see who is there for wr or another lb mosely db millner
    would not be mad at a stud OL pick at 8 either!

Quote Originally Posted by intimidatortj View Post
    I don't think you can fix all three in one draft. Yes, it is possible and you should try, but looking back over our last 3 drafts, did we fix 3 positions in a single draft? No.

You could say we pretty much "fixed" the oline, but Buddy has drafted a lot of linemen to accomplish that: Zebrie Sanders, Kyle Calloway, Ed Wang, Mark Asper, Chris Hairston, and Cordy Glenn. PLUS added a bunch of guys through signing them off the street or as FAs, i.e. Sam Young, Urbik, Eric Pears, Chad Rhinehart, etc.

I would trade down in the 1st round, get an extra pick and then take 1) QB, 2a) WR, 2b) LB and another WR in the 3rd. 4th round LB. 5th Safety. 6th Center/Guard.

Fixing a position requires multiple picks for the same position. Thus take a WR at 2a and a WR in the 3rd. You can't draft just one. What if he is injured like Easley did as a rookie?

Bottom line it is wise to draft more than one player for a position. Injuries, illness, wash out, etc is part of the game.
    Tru just like the Ravens when they drafted Torrey Smith and Tandon Doss

Some combination of draft, FA and young players on the roster stepping up:

Get the cheaper roster spots in FA like TE, LB.

Draft a QB, CB and WR.

Have players like SS Searcy and RT / OG Sanders become replacement starters.

Re-sign Byrd and Eric Wood long term.

In FA, look at the LBs. Sign a younger decent one, and maybe another one. There's talk that Baltimore might have to part with one of theirs (and his name escapes me right now) because of cap issues.

It's possible that they could find a veteran WR, but they're kind of expensive and chancy.

With their cap situation, the Jests might be willing to part with Cromartie. If the Bills were willing to take on his contract, relieving the Jests of that cap problem, they might get him a lot cheaper. It's a possibility because it would free Aaron Williams to move to nickel or safety -- and improve the secondary, especially if Byrd is NOT re-signed.

Re-sign Andy Levitre.

Since that probably pretty much takes care of the Bills cap room, they would have to keep Fitzpatrick and draft a QB in the first or second round. Pick up a third QB as cheaply as they can.

Draft a LB or a hybrid DE/LB and WR in rounds 1-3, depending up who's available and where they draft a QB, but if they sign an upgrade LB or WR in FA, then going BPA in the draft is okay, too.

I think "the solution" to the Bills QB/LB/WR situation will largely depend upon what LBs/WRs are available in FA. I think that keeping Fitzpatrick enables the Bills more flexibility to sign FAs as well as maybe re-sign their own guys. I do NOT want the Bills to waste a bunch of cap space on retread QBs. There are no Peyton Mannings out there in FA.
    Should have kept Marshawn ... and Andy ... Jairus ...

Buffalo Bills, 2000-????: same trailer, different park.
    1999 ... 11-5, playoff loss
    2000 .... 8-8
    2001 .... 3-13
    2002 .... 8-8
    2003 ... 6-10
    2004 ... 9-7
    2005 ... 5-11
    2006 ... 7-9
    2007 ...
    7-9
    2008 ... 7-9
    2009 ... 6-10
    2010 ... 4-12
    2011 ...
    6-10
    2012 ... 6-10
    2013 ... 6-10

I fix WR by getting a QB that can throw them the ball, because until that happens you have no idea what you have at WR.

LB, I draft the best one I can in the 1st or 2nd rd and then put them in a scheme that allows the defense to play football and not stand still being punching bags

QB...Draft one and get a FA...and then cut Fitz

FA and draft
    Woods, Williams and Watkins.... the 3 double U's

Made in USA NFL gear...
    http://www.nflshop.com/search/made%20in%20usa

Barkley, G. Jennings and a T'eo in the 2nd, (j/k)

What makes it hard is that Keenan Allen is the only receiver worthy of a top 10 pick but there are tons of good 2nd-3rd round receivers, whereas you have 3-4 good DE/OLB worthy of a top 10 pick but then nothing really until the 3rd or 4th round. So it's hard to decide, which route you go. Do you take the best WR and then wait until the 3rd, 4th round to address OLB/DE or do you take the best OLB/DE and then go after WR in the 2nd round.

If it was me, I would go all-in for one of the top WRs in Free Agency. There are some good ones out there this year (Bowe, Mike Wallace, Jennings, Welker). Even if it means that's our only FA signing for the next year or two.

At 8, I'd draft either Geno Smith or Matt Barkley if they are there. Then take the best LB available at the top of the second.

If Geno Smith & Matt Barkley are gone by 8, I would draft the best available linebacker at 8. Then try to trade my 2nd round pick for a 1st round pick next year to a team trying to trade up for a QB, giving the team enough ammunition to hopefully get the best available QB next year and ride with Fitz for 2013. Maybe take a flyer on E.J. Manuel if he's there in the 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by NJBuff View Post

Plenty of good LB's and WR's in FA this season. OLB position looks like this: http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013OLB.php WR like this: http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013WR.php If we can get one of each, and then draft one of each, along with drafting a QB or signing Alex Smith, I think the team is basically fixed. Picture the new WR corps being Stevie, Danario Alexander FA, and draft Patterson or Hamilton. Picture our LB corps being Barnett/Bradham, Kruger/Barwin FA and draft Ogletree. If we were fortunate enough to sign Smith at QB, I think we are instantly legit.

The world is comprised of three types of people:
    1. Wolves
    2. Sheep
    3. Those that protect the Sheep from the Wolves
    Proud to be a lifelong member of category #3

The human race is doomed when the forces of good refuse to aggressively confront the forces of evil.

Quote Originally Posted by lilfaith24;6658878[B
    ]I fix WR by getting a QB that can throw them the ball, because until that happens you have no idea what you have at WR[/B].

LB, I draft the best one I can in the 1st or 2nd rd and then put them in a scheme that allows the defense to play football and not stand still being punching bags

QB...Draft one and get a FA...and then cut Fitz
    That is the key, a good QB will make our WR's better by default and then you can evaluate. QB and LB is tough because there is great talent and versatility at the LB position early in this draft and a lot of questions about QB.

I know we need a QB bad but it is hard to pass up such good players at LB and DE for a big ?
    Free Agents Signed 2014
    Brandon Spikes - ILB
    Keith Rivers - OLB (SAM)
    Chris Williams - OG
    Corey Graham - CB
    Anthony Dixon - RB

2014 Draft - Updated 5/6 Trade Down to 16
    1st - Zack Martin, OT/OG, Norte Dame
    2nd - Austin Seferina-Jenkins, TE, Washington
    2nd - Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State
    3rd - Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin
    4th - Bishop Sanky, RB, Washington
    5th - Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech
    6th - Mike Williams, WR, Tampa Bay (Trade)
    7th - Brandon Thomas, OG, Clemson

Everyone's saying Bills need help at QB, LB and wideout, and in a way I don't disagree. They don't have big-name talent at those positions, and those positions all underperformed last season.

However, I find I can't think productively about how to "fix" those positions, because I have no idea how important fixes to those positions actually will be necessary.

The thing is, the NFL is about coaching. It's completely obvious that well-coached teams win and poorly coached teams lose. That's why Gailey got fired. So I really have no idea where the Bills stand right now. All I know is the offense is going to be different and the defense is going to be different.

For example, suppose Marrone installs an effective run-oriented offense. He gets Tarvaris Jackson, Ryan Fitapatrick (both of whom are strong runners if not swift) or a better QB to be able to run his offense effectively, with some read-option elements to it. One of the benefits of that scheme would be that passing will get easier. We might find that Johnson, Jones, Graham, Nelson, Chandler are more than adequate, and we might ginf that Easley comes into his own in a different system. I find it very hard to say, therefore, what it is that the Bills need at receiver. I mean, of course they need Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson, but that isn't the question. The question is what fixes the current problem, and we don't even know the nature of the problem, because this year everything changes.

Similarly at linebacker. Whose to say that in Bradham's scheme Sheppard, Bradham and Barnett aren't going to be productive? Or Moats, for that matter. There are more gifted linebackers in the league, for sure, but they could be more than adequate in the right scheme.

Quarterback, of course, is a different story. There's virtually no chance that Fitz is the answer, but it's also nearly impossible to say today what needs to be done to "fix" the position. Marrone knows, but that's because he can envision a particular kind of QB in his offense. I can't, because I haven't seen his offense.

Does that mean I'm not looking for LBs and receivers and QBs in the draft? No. The Bills talent at those positions currently is as strong as I'd like. But it may be that the success of Marrone's offense may be more dependent on getting a better right tackle on the team than a better receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaw66 View Post
    Everyone's saying Bills need help at QB, LB and wideout, and in a way I don't disagree. They don't have big-name talent at those positions, and those positions all underperformed last season.

However, I find I can't think productively about how to "fix" those positions, because I have no idea how important fixes to those positions actually will be necessary.

The thing is, the NFL is about coaching. It's completely obvious that well-coached teams win and poorly coached teams lose. That's why Gailey got fired. So I really have no idea where the Bills stand right now. All I know is the offense is going to be different and the defense is going to be different.

For example, suppose Marrone installs an effective run-oriented offense. He gets Tarvaris Jackson, Ryan Fitapatrick (both of whom are strong runners if not swift) or a better QB to be able to run his offense effectively, with some read-option elements to it. One of the benefits of that scheme would be that passing will get easier. We might find that Johnson, Jones, Graham, Nelson, Chandler are more than adequate, and we might ginf that Easley comes into his own in a different system. I find it very hard to say, therefore, what it is that the Bills need at receiver. I mean, of course they need Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson, but that isn't the question. The question is what fixes the current problem, and we don't even know the nature of the problem, because this year everything changes.

Similarly at linebacker. Whose to say that in Bradham's scheme Sheppard, Bradham and Barnett aren't going to be productive? Or Moats, for that matter. There are more gifted linebackers in the league, for sure, but they could be more than adequate in the right scheme.

Quarterback, of course, is a different story. There's virtually no chance that Fitz is the answer, but it's also nearly impossible to say today what needs to be done to "fix" the position. Marrone knows, but that's because he can envision a particular kind of QB in his offense. I can't, because I haven't seen his offense.

Does that mean I'm not looking for LBs and receivers and QBs in the draft? No. The Bills talent at those positions currently is as strong as I'd like. But it may be that the success of Marrone's offense may be more dependent on getting a better right tackle on the team than a better receiver.

You make a good point our Defense should improve greatly just by bringing in a DC that will mold his system to their talent and run a more complicated package so offenses cannot pre-determine what they are facing.

That being said, I was looking at the updated Draft rankings and the name Eric Fisher kept jumping out at me. Cordy played average at LT last year but could be a high level RT. If we draft Fisher and re-sign Levitre or O-Line would be amazing and could make everything easier on the skill position players.
    Free Agents Signed 2014
    Brandon Spikes - ILB
    Keith Rivers - OLB (SAM)
    Chris Williams - OG
    Corey Graham - CB
    Anthony Dixon - RB

2014 Draft - Updated 5/6 Trade Down to 16
    1st - Zack Martin, OT/OG, Norte Dame
    2nd - Austin Seferina-Jenkins, TE, Washington
    2nd - Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State
    3rd - Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin
    4th - Bishop Sanky, RB, Washington
    5th - Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech
    6th - Mike Williams, WR, Tampa Bay (Trade)
    7th - Brandon Thomas, OG, Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by intimidatortj View Post

Buddy has yet to fix the 0-line as evidenced by the above.

You can thank Jauron for drafting Wood and Levitre,

Glenn shows promise, we still need a RT and an upgrade at LG wouldn't hurt.

Cannot fix all three in the draft, we need FA to help with at least one of the holes - my plan is in my sig - but because your sig disappears when you change it I will go on record:
    QB - my preference is FA or trade but the trade for Smith may cost too much - Matt Moore most likely - he is better than Fitz - he was 500 with a team worse than ours and lost to 4 very good teams by less than 4 points - he would be a stop-gap or bridge to our franchise guy
    WR/TE - I think we need help at both, not just WR. If we can land a Gennings or Wallace or Bowe level, we can free up that pick for a TE and the reverse is true if we can land a FA TE like Keller or Walker or Bennett - if WR we need to take a quality guy in the first or second
    LB - I would like to address this at 8, as there is some quality in this draft that I would love to have - this can also be a DE if he is one of those hybrid guys

I like Matt Scott as a developmental guy in the 4th - we will see how he does at the combine as I could see SF, Philly and Seattle taking him as a back-up to a starter
    Adopt-a-Bill 2014 Marquise Goodwin