Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your plan to fix WR, LB, QB?

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Quote Originally Posted by vrubdog View Post
    Tru just like the Ravens when they drafted Torrey Smith and Tandon Doss
    In 2011 the Washington Redskins drafted 3 wide receivers:

3rd Round - Leonard Hankerson. WR
    5th Round - Niles Paul, WR
    6th Round - Aldrick Robinson, WR

So, you want to "fix" a position? Consider multiple picks.

growing pains will remain with a rookie head coach !

FA- Wallace, FA- Moore, first round pick- Ogletree, 2nd round pick - best available QB, rest of the rounds spend on the best WR/LBers/CBs available.

Its as easy as Sunday morning:

#1 Sign Alex Smith (QB SET)
    #2 Move back into the 1st round to get our MLB (SLB & MLB & WLB SET)
    #3 Deep draft year for WR so we get one in round 2 (WR#2 SET)

Round 1a) Jarvis Jones, SLB, Georgia
    Round 1b) Manti Te'o, MLB, Notre Dame
    Round 2) Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
    Round 3) Sean Porter, WLB, Texas A&M
    Round 4) Phillip Thomas, SS, Fresno State
    Round 5) Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech
    Round 6) Michael Williams, TE, Alabama
    Last edited by Dr Strangelove; 02-01-2013 at 09:03 PM.

A few novels short of a full bookcase....

Quote Originally Posted by Shaw66 View Post
    Everyone's saying Bills need help at QB, LB and wideout, and in a way I don't disagree. They don't have big-name talent at those positions, and those positions all underperformed last season.

However, I find I can't think productively about how to "fix" those positions, because I have no idea how important fixes to those positions actually will be necessary.

The thing is, the NFL is about coaching. It's completely obvious that well-coached teams win and poorly coached teams lose. That's why Gailey got fired. So I really have no idea where the Bills stand right now. All I know is the offense is going to be different and the defense is going to be different.

For example, suppose Marrone installs an effective run-oriented offense. He gets Tarvaris Jackson, Ryan Fitapatrick (both of whom are strong runners if not swift) or a better QB to be able to run his offense effectively, with some read-option elements to it. One of the benefits of that scheme would be that passing will get easier. We might find that Johnson, Jones, Graham, Nelson, Chandler are more than adequate, and we might ginf that Easley comes into his own in a different system. I find it very hard to say, therefore, what it is that the Bills need at receiver. I mean, of course they need Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson, but that isn't the question. The question is what fixes the current problem, and we don't even know the nature of the problem, because this year everything changes.

Similarly at linebacker. Whose to say that in Bradham's scheme Sheppard, Bradham and Barnett aren't going to be productive? Or Moats, for that matter. There are more gifted linebackers in the league, for sure, but they could be more than adequate in the right scheme.

Quarterback, of course, is a different story. There's virtually no chance that Fitz is the answer, but it's also nearly impossible to say today what needs to be done to "fix" the position. Marrone knows, but that's because he can envision a particular kind of QB in his offense. I can't, because I haven't seen his offense.

Does that mean I'm not looking for LBs and receivers and QBs in the draft? No. The Bills talent at those positions currently is as strong as I'd like. But it may be that the success of Marrone's offense may be more dependent on getting a better right tackle on the team than a better receiver.
    In my opinion, none of our LB's are "playmakers" they are run of the mill LB's. I think Nigel Bradham could be a playmaker but we need at least one stud LB. Personally I like K.Minter, the kid is a stud. If he is there in the later half of round 1, trade up and get him. Get the QB we want at #8 and then trade back into the first round and get Minter. Grab Q.Patton WR or Marcus Davis WR in round 3. I wouldn't mind getting B.Hartline in free agency. I think he can be had for a reasonable contract and he can be very productive.
    MD-2014 Trade back. Dallas gets #9 and #73, Buffalo gets #16, #47 and #78

RD 1) #16 RYAN SHAZIER OLB OHIO ST
    RD 2) #41 KONY EALY DE MISSOURI
    RD 2) #47 TROY NIKLAS TE NOTRE DAME
    RD 3) #78 BILLY TURNER OT N.DAKOTA ST
    RD 4) #109 LACHE SEASTRUNK RB BAYLOR
    RD 5) #149 WALT AIKENS CB LIBERTY
    RD 6) TRADED
    RD 7) #224 BRANDON THOMAS OG CLEMSON (steal of the draft if he slips this far)

THANK YOU RALPH WILSON JR - RIP

If we must address these 3 positions in the first 3 rds i would go Ogletree at 8 if he is still available, if not trade back into the 20s and grab the top receiver on the board, then in

scenario 1, take another stud lb (perhaps Greene, our lb corps was our biggest weakness it couldn't hurt to draft 2 top backers and let em compete) or the top receiver at that point

and in scenario 2 snag the best lb and in the 3rd go bpa at the 3 positions of need listed above. This is not the year for a qb! Especially at 8! Unless we were to trade back, which is

not very likely with nix calling the shots, i don't see it happening in rd 1 and possibly rd 2 (unless marrone is sold on nassib i could see them pulling the trigger on him in rd 2, but my gut is telling me more and more that nassib won't happen as i previously thought)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
    Its as easy as Sunday morning:

#1 Sign Alex Smith (QB SET)
    #2 Move back into the 1st round to get our MLB (SLB & MLB & WLB SET)
    #3 Deep draft year for WR so we get one in round 2 (WR#2 SET)

Round 1a) Jarvis Jones, SLB, Georgia
    Round 1b) Manti Te'o, MLB, Notre Dame
    Round 2) Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
    Round 3) Sean Porter, WLB, Texas A&M
    Round 4) Phillip Thomas, SS, Fresno State
    Round 5) Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech
    Round 6) Michael Williams, TE, Alabama

Keenan allen in round 2? that's a good one.
    April 4th Mock:
    1) Eric Ebron, TE, UNC/ Kony Ealy, DE, Mizzou/ Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M.
    2) Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia/Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State/Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, UW.
    3) Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford/ Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana.
    4) Anthony Steen, G, Alabama/ C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa.
    5) Kelcy Quarles, DT, South Carolina

1 LB and 1 WR and 1 TE in FA. Draft 2 Qb's and 1 WR and 1 LB. Done.
    May The Schwartz Be With You.

Adopt-a-Bill 2013-14 Nickell Robey "The Diminutive DB"

Hoax or not scam or not whatever Teo is worth a top 10 pick.
    Grab a WR and QB combo in the 2nd and 3rd. Whoever you want, whatever Marrone feels best.

Unless Barkley or Smith are there at 8. Then you might need to reconsider.
    @JJGauna Sack Artist

Predraft Visitors Mock 4-24
    1. Eric Ebron TE
    2. Scott Crichton DE
    3. Marcus Martin OL
    4. Terrance West RB
    5. Phillip Gaines CB
    7. Charles Siddoway OL

Hgh
    “The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.” -William Ward

3 Bo Jackson's

Bo knows...

logo

load up on offence in the draft and pick up any FA's possible to upgrade the D(new coach for D WILL MAKE A BIG IMPACT ALONE).resign byrd and d.nelson. i have a feeling nelson can really help marone and the new college style offence.i don't see a new QB starting in 2013 so having chandler,nelson and stevie will take away from starting a new system(please pick up a stud at WR).

Quote Originally Posted by JJGauna View Post
    Hoax or not scam or not whatever Teo is worth a top 10 pick.
    Grab a WR and QB combo in the 2nd and 3rd. Whoever you want, whatever Marrone feels best.

Unless Barkley or Smith are there at 8. Then you might need to reconsider.
    Someone is going to get a "deal" on Manti Te'o.

As a Notre Dame fan I have followed him from when Notre Dame scooped him from USC during the recruiting process. I have seen him play almost every game for 4 years. He can play. He may not be Patrick Willis, but he is a whole lot better than POZ was.

If a team gets him late in the 1st round or early 2nd round they will have a solid player for years to come.
    2014 Mock Draft

Trade down

After trading back --> LB Ryan Shazier
    2a)TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins __ 2b) WR Donte Montcrief
    3) CB Bashaud Breeland - Clemson
    4) RB Lache Seastrunk - Baylor
    5) DE Taylor Hart - Oregon
    6) * WR Mike Williams *
    7) S Jestin Love, Central Arkansas

Keep drafting QBs. Fill the pipeline.

Stop throwing away draft picks and start stacking them would be a start that makes more sense then what we have done...

And put them all on peptides its legal hgh lol

And also make troop ,stevie,dareus hit the gym cause u know they havent cause they said its not needed ha ha ha we are freaking joke.

Quote Originally Posted by NJBuff View Post
    Thank God I am not in this team's position, cause I really have no idea what can be done and I think this team is beating itself over the head about what to do.

What do you think should be done?
    Cry....and touch myself.......hard.

Draft
    1. Alec Ogletree-LB Georgia 6'3 236
    2. Justin Hunter-WR Tennessee 6'4 200
    3. Khaseem Greene-LB Rutgers 6'1 236

Free Agents
    Matt Flynn-QB 4yrs/14M
    Geno Hayes-LB 3yr/6M
    Jon Casillas-LB 3yr/6M

Tender
    Donald Jones-WR
    David Nelson-WR

Immediately solves the LB & WR dilemma by investing high into those positions with blue chip prospects in Ogletree, Hunter & Greene who all walk into a starting job. Signing Geno Hayes & Jon Casillas to small deals all of a sudden gives us good depth at the LB position with Ogletree, Greene, Bradham, Sheppard, White, Moats, Hayes, Casillas.

Alex Smith & Matt Flynn will be the two most coveted FA QB's this year and there's a very high chance they're both cut because their teams can't find a trade partner. I'd even offer a 4th Rounder for either QB. They'd walk into the starting job but I don't look at them as Franchise QB's. I'd actively look for my QB in the next Draft with Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel(RsSo), Aaron Murray, Tajh Boyd, Bryn Renner, AJ McCarron, Logan Thomas, David Ash(JR), Sean Mannion(JR), Jeff Driskel(JR) all eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Legend View Post
    In my opinion, none of our LB's are "playmakers" they are run of the mill LB's. I think Nigel Bradham could be a playmaker but we need at least one stud LB. Personally I like K.Minter, the kid is a stud. If he is there in the later half of round 1, trade up and get him. Get the QB we want at #8 and then trade back into the first round and get Minter. Grab Q.Patton WR or Marcus Davis WR in round 3. I wouldn't mind getting B.Hartline in free agency. I think he can be had for a reasonable contract and he can be very productive.
    I think you're making the same mistake that most fans, including me, tend to make, and that is that your team needs more playmakers.

The nature of the NFL, with a draft, free agency and salary cap, means that there's a limit to how many true playmakers you can have. If you have more playmakers than everyone else, you can't afford to pay them all, and some will leave.

So although I agree with that none of the Bills' current LBs are playmakers, with Bradham being the only possible exception, I don't agree that it's necessarily imperative that the Bills get a playmaker linebacker.

The fundamental point is that the Bills may not need a lot more playmakers, but they definitely need a lot more players to make plays. How can you make plays if you're not a playmaker? Coaching. Look at the Pats - how many planmakers do they have? Maybe Brady, certainly Wilfork, maybe a linebacker. Gronk. After that, pretty much everyone else they have is not a playmaker; they're just guys who are taught a system that, if they do their jobs, give them opportunities to make plays.

Barnett is a good to very good linebacker, and Bradham might be too. If they're playing in a system that puts them into position to make plays, they will. They have the talent in front of them to make it possible.

Would be nice to add a star linebacker in the first round? Absolutely. No question. Is it essential? I don't think so. It may be more important to add a star wideout, or a star offensive lineman, or a star cornerback. It all depends on the systems the coaches decide they're running and how effectively the current personnel execute those systems.

If Pettine's defenive scheme creates repeated opportunities for Barnett and Bradham to go unblocked, you'll be surprised how many plays they make. Suppose the Bills get a shut-down corner to pair with Gilmore. A corner so that the Bills could put TWO guys on islands. With the Bills' front four, now you're looking at a defense where you can turn you linebackers and your safeties loose. You can run all kinds of stunts, blitzes. You can disguise everything you're doing in the middle of the field. In an environment like that, Barnett and Gradham can thrive. Overnight, they'll become playmakers.

Lb in free agency, QB round 1, WR round 2, draft another LBer in round 3. sounds pretty easy to me